Default The Light Tank - Evasion SWF Paladin

WARNING! THIS BUILD MAY BE TERRIBLE!

This is something I have been playing around with, and I think I've got it sorted, but there are a few question marks.

Human

18 Paladin/2 monk

STR 16
    DEX 14
    CON 14
    INT 8
    WIS 8
    CHA 16 + levels

Feats

SWF
    Precision
    Deflect Arrows?
    Shield Mastery
    Empower Healing
    iSWF
    IC: Slash
    gSWF
    Improved Shield Mastery
    OC
    Blinding Speed
    pTWF

Enhancements:

5+ Racial (Damage Boost, Heal Amp)
    36 KotC

Sacred Defender/Vanguard?

The big question is which enhancements out of SD/Van work with orbs; SD stance works, of course, but I'm not high enough level to test +20% hp and +6 CON with orb, nor do I know which Van enhancements function.

So, is this doable, or is evasion a luxury melees can no longer afford?

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Made a ML test build (cleric 1 / monk 2 / pal 12): they're the only Iconics to start w/shields & orbs, making it easier to test. Doublestrike bonuses from Shield Mastery still apply with orbs and the base defensive stance bonuses work fine; the Gtr Sacred Defense bonuses do not, nor does the PRR from Shield Mastery. [EDIT: Gtr Stance bonuses work if I switch to heavy armor w/orb, but that does no good if you want Evasion, ofc.] Orbs also do not appear to count as shields for any of the Vanguard abilities or bonuses, as far as I could tell; e.g., if I attempt to use Shield Smash or Stunning Shield with an orb equipped, it doesn't work ("You do not meet the requirements for this action"), works fine if I switch to shield. EDIT: also the static bonuses from Vanguard only show up with shield equipped.

So if you want an Evasion tank, it looks like you can choose the SWF+SM+orb to reap +30% atk speed & doublestrike bonuses, but you won't get the Vanguard S&B nor Gtr Sacred Stance bonuses; or you can choose the THF+SM+light shield route to get glancing blows and Vanguard & Gtr Sacred Stance bonuses plus more PRR, but only get half of SWF atk speed bonus from Vanguard cores (+15% vs +30%). Decisions, decisions...

EDIT: minor addendum - it appears orbs count as shields for Intimidate, so that's a nice perk.
    Last edited by unbongwah; 10-11-2014 at 04:02 PM.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Why level ups in charisma? Better saves?

Why SWF if you are going to use a shield?

Quote Originally Posted by Toro12 View Post
    Why SWF if you are going to use a shield?
    He's not: he wants to use orbs, which work with SWF and currently allow the doublestrike bonus from Shield Mastery feats to apply; +15% once you have Legendary SM maxed out.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Ahh dig it.

So why charisma instead of str ?
    I'd think that without PDK or swashbuckler charisma to hit and damage you would want to use str as primary with level ups and just not skimp on starting charisma and be sure to wear the biggest item.

Sure you will get better saves and LoH but that kinda seems paultry compared to being able to kill stuff a lot faster.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Made a ML test build (cleric 1 / monk 2 / pal 12): they're the only Iconics to start w/shields & orbs, making it easier to test. Doublestrike bonuses from Shield Mastery still apply with orbs and the base defensive stance bonuses work fine; the Gtr Sacred Defense bonuses do not, nor does the PRR from Shield Mastery. [EDIT: Gtr Stance bonuses work if I switch to heavy armor w/orb, but that does no good if you want Evasion, ofc.] Orbs also do not appear to count as shields for any of the Vanguard abilities or bonuses, as far as I could tell; e.g., if I attempt to use Shield Smash or Stunning Shield with an orb equipped, it doesn't work ("You do not meet the requirements for this action"), works fine if I switch to shield. EDIT: also the static bonuses from Vanguard only show up with shield equipped.

Thanks for testing; ML is the one race I don't have ;(

So if you want an Evasion tank, it looks like you can choose the SWF+SM+orb to reap +30% atk speed & doublestrike bonuses, but you won't get the Vanguard S&B nor Gtr Sacred Stance bonuses; or you can choose the THF+SM+light shield route to get glancing blows and Vanguard & Gtr Sacred Stance bonuses plus more PRR, but only get half of SWF atk speed bonus from Vanguard cores (+15% vs +30%). Decisions, decisions...

Man, that's terrible; only the light shield option is really a "tank," then, but it takes a huge hit to DPS. This really needs to be a bard, doesn't it?

SWF pure Paly with heavy armor is pretty much unkillable. Wear the Shadow Plate for the 30/60 DR and you can get PRR up to around 170-180 mark. Ditch the monk splash and stay pure for the KoTC cap. Str build has more options for improved dps by buffing strength. Run with DC and twist legendary shield. Healing is great, concecrated grounds adds to damage and healing. No issues with any EE solo thus far.

He's not: he wants to use orbs, which work with SWF and currently allow the doublestrike bonus from Shield Mastery feats to apply; +15% once you have Legendary SM maxed out.
    PSA: this is being nerfed / bugfixed in U24. From Lama release notes: "Shield Mastery and Improved Shield Mastery no longer function with Orbs." Time for all those SWF+SM+orb builds to figure out what to do with two extra feats.