Default Advice on Pally/Monk/Fighter build

Hello folks!

I'm TRing again and I want a solid DPS pally build (need the Paladin past life for completionist).

So I was thinking about the classic Pally/Monk/Fighter.

Can be TWF (preferred) or THF, self-heal capable. Not interested on range weapons.

So, I'm asking you advices on the build. I'm currently at level 2 (Paladin).

a) What feats are recommended? Currently god Cleave and Power Attack.

b) What are the class switching levels?

My attrributes are:
    STR 18
    DEX 8
    CON 16
    INT 8
    WIS 10
    CHA 15

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.
    Thelanis server - Playing DDO since 2006

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Hello folks!

I'm TRing again and I want a solid DPS pally build (need the Paladin past life for completionist).

So I was thinking about the classic Pally/Monk/Fighter.

Can be TWF (preferred) or THF, self-heal capable. Not interested on range weapons.

So, I'm asking you advices on the build. I'm currently at level 2 (Paladin).

a) What feats are recommended? Currently god Cleave and Power Attack.

b) What are the class switching levels?

My attrributes are:
    STR 18
    DEX 8
    CON 16
    INT 8
    WIS 10
    CHA 15

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.
    Paladin is about to get a major overhaul, as is heavy armor/shields. I'd look on Lam and decide what you want to do.

I'm (a bit) aware of the incoming changes but I plan to TR again until friday, so it's not a big deal to wait for the new update. Honestly I do not like melee classes, I need it only for the completionist. That's why I'm asking for advices --want a solid, solo DPS pally so I can run thru quests (in groups or soloing if necessary) so I can TR once more.

Thanks for the hint tho.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneArcher52689 View Post
    Paladin is about to get a major overhaul, as is heavy armor/shields. I'd look on Lam and decide what you want to do.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Well, the proper time to ask for advice was before TRing, not after, but let's see what we can do.

First off, your DEX is too low for TWF unless you go heavy into rgr, so THF or SWF it is. So: monk 2 / ftr 8 / pal 10 is the obvious option if you want a centered build; or pal 15 / monk 2 / ftr 1 if you don't care about being centered but still want Evasion. The first build should have better DPS in the long run, the latter will have better self-healing.

Either way the obvious feats are: Power Atk/CL/GC, Improved Crit, SWF or THF x3. If you're going to monk / kensei route, you'll need the kensei pre-reqs (WF/WS/GWF) and probably the higher stances; If going the pal 15 route, I might suggest a cpl metamagics (e.g., Emp Heal, Quicken).
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Hello unbongwah, thanks for your reply.

I'm aware I should have asked before TRing, but since it's a simple "pass-by" life, I don't really care that much. At this time I'm just trying different builds.

Seems the monk 2/ftr 8 /pal10 it is. My only doubt now is: I go pally all along the way, then the fighter lives, then monk ones? Or I mix it up?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Well, the proper time to ask for advice was before TRing, not after, but let's see what we can do.

First off, your DEX is too low for TWF unless you go heavy into rgr, so THF or SWF it is. So: monk 2 / ftr 8 / pal 10 is the obvious option if you want a centered build; or pal 15 / monk 2 / ftr 1 if you don't care about being centered but still want Evasion. The first build should have better DPS in the long run, the latter will have better self-healing.

Either way the obvious feats are: Power Atk/CL/GC, Improved Crit, SWF or THF x3. If you're going to monk / kensei route, you'll need the kensei pre-reqs (WF/WS/GWF) and probably the higher stances; If going the pal 15 route, I might suggest a cpl metamagics (e.g., Emp Heal, Quicken).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Hello unbongwah, thanks for your reply.

I'm aware I should have asked before TRing, but since it's a simple "pass-by" life, I don't really care that much. At this time I'm just trying different builds.

Seems the monk 2/ftr 8 /pal10 it is. My only doubt now is: I go pally all along the way, then the fighter lives, then monk ones? Or I mix it up?

Cheers!

In coming amateur opinion - double check with pro builders but here is what I would do....

First I would have to run it through the character planner to get the feat order/prioritizing right for level splits but my from-the-gut advice would be to front load your pally healing (lay on hands/unyielding sovereignty) and ghost touch (3rd tier core HotD in the KotC PrE: lvl 6 Pally) by level 6 or 7, just in time for Deleras and Necro 1. Then tack on the monk levels for evasion (or second level of monk if you started out level 1 as a monk - which might not be a bad idea) by level 9 when invulnerability wears off and evasion starts to make a difference. Then take fighter up 8 lvls to get Kensei Centered by level 16 (you want to get "one with the blade" capstone in the Kensei PrE) and then pally to the end...

Just reread your post and see you already took 2 levels pally. So in that case: pally to level 6 / monk @ 7 and 8 / 8 levels fighter then the rest; pally to cap...

I always have a harder time making a THF with these classes work then I do a TWF - not because there aren't enough feat slots, but because there are too many feat slots with no real good options available to slot; you are gonna have 16 or 17 feat slots with many of them class specific, so several of your feats will be tasters choice flavor feats (especial the monk levels.) Just make sure you have all your THFx3 + Improved Crit and the (WF/WS/GWF) Kensei pre reqs by level 16... Maybe consider the feats that boost you reflex and will saves (since you dumped Dex and Wis) as well as a QoL feat like Dragonsmarks (If human (Exp Retreat, DD, Teleport) Halfling (CW spells) or Elf (Blurry, Displacement, Invis.))
    Last edited by MacRighteous; 09-09-2014 at 01:07 AM.