Community Member

Default Spell penetration, worth it?

Hello

Working on my destinies on my first life sorc and have been wondering for a while if I should focus on spell penetration or not.

My setup at the moment (human sorc, lvl 23)
    Extend
    Empower
    Maximize
    Heighten
    Toughness
    SF/GSF/ESF Evocation
    Spell penetration

So I'm thinking I either drop Extend for Greater Spell Pen and then take Epic Spell Pen at 24. Or I drop Spell Pen and take something else (not decided yet) and maybe grab Epic toughness at 24.

It would also free up some destiny points to not have to spec into spell pen.

So what do you guys think? Is spell pen needed on a sorc? My necro/enchant DC is not that impressive but Energy drain can handle that if I have enough spell pen.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

I noticed a large difference when I took it, so in my personal opinion it's worth it, but this is the ddo forums and 8 players will come along with alternative solutions. That's why ddo is fun. You can always try for a while, save up your orange shards, and crunch them into a stone for fred to swap it out if you don't like it.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Community Member

I would say no. There is a MASSIVE gap between Epic Elite and Epic Hard content when it comes to spell resistance. The short answer is that Sorcs completely destroy Epic Hard without needing any CC. Why drop a mass hold and watch melee swing away at the group when you can drop 1-3 AEs instead? Dropping spell pen completely gets you additional ED points (no piercing spellcraft), additional enhancement points, and up to 3 additional feats. I dropped all spell pen and couldn't be happier.

Note that I think the BEST spell caster ATM is a max pl (wiz, fvs) spell pen Sorc. You can, with tons of work, attain Epic Elite spell pen required and also be Savant for great CC, boss DPS, and huge spell point pool.
    Last edited by Kintoun; 08-07-2012 at 02:15 AM.

Community Member

I would say dump spell penn. you don't really need it for a sorc. I know there are those that insist on casting fod on their sorc and will use 3 feats just to make it viable, but that doesn't make sense to me. Blast away.
    Main toon Gromphia I have others but that is really the only one I play

Community Member

Why would you need spell pen?

You can just dps them down to death. For everything else, there's web.