Thread: and STR Rogues

Default and STR Rogues

I have two STR Rogues, and I expect both to go LDread instead. Neither have enough DEX to get Improved SA, which means I have two epic feats open too.

Any STR Rogue out there really considering going for Shadowdancer? What do you guys plan on your Epic feats?
    Sarlona: Sagarana (Drow Roguenought) / ~Katrynna~ (Human Assassin) / ~Jcuervo~ (HElf Emerald) / ~Jwalkers~ (Human PM)

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arroyo View Post
    I have two STR Rogues, and I expect both to go LDread instead. Neither have enough DEX to get Improved SA, which means I have two epic feats open too.

Any STR Rogue out there really considering going for Shadowdancer? What do you guys plan on your Epic feats?
    I haven't made any decisions yet, going to wait a while.

For SD it seems that besides the lowest rank there is a decent amount of things to spend points on even on a strength rogue (and so avoiding all the dex/int enhancements and dex/int DC based abilities).

I'm considering LR'ing into a finesse/balanced build to qualify for the SA feat but might wait for a +3/+4 dex tome to help qualify for it (a +4 dex tome would mean -2 strength for +3d6 SA or +6d6 SA if the feat can be taken twice).
    Last edited by wax_on_wax_off; 06-25-2012 at 09:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons Online, and thanks for playing!
    Build Index

Well, I tried to LR my Drow Rogue in Beta just to frustrate myself being stuck in the LR Airship, so I couldn't try Improved SA feat (or the possibility of taking it twice).

Since she has more +3 tomes than my Human, I'll likely free LR my Drow with STR 14 / DEX 18 base (which is the opposite of what I have currently) and go for STR Level-ups still.

During Beta Phase4, I enjoyed LDread more than Shadowdancer anyway, though I might want to cap both for Twists and Fate Points. Also, the new passive Dodge bonuses weren't available to me before the LR (which I never completed), so I guess LRing will be mandatory in Live too.

Just need my Launcher to get past updates. :/
    Sarlona: Sagarana (Drow Roguenought) / ~Katrynna~ (Human Assassin) / ~Jcuervo~ (HElf Emerald) / ~Jwalkers~ (Human PM)

Community Member

I'm pondering shadowdancer for my rogue when I get it back up to the appropriate levels, but more for the extra passive sneak attack bonuses and a few of the tricks, but I'm liable to spend time on LD and GoF for their benefits as well.

As for Improved Sneak Attack--I wonder how popular this will be for non-finesse builds that don't have the +3/+4 tome and 2+ TRs for extra build points that are needed to make the 21 Dex reasonable to reach.

im gonna lr my human str rogue for starting stats 16/18/15/10/8/8. good thing i got 36 pointer on her. with +3 dex tome i got req dex for imp SA feats. everything else stays the same.

SD is good, but i need to check FoF and FS before i make a final decision for my rogue. all sound good. gonna depend on twists also.

EDIT: yay, first thread for epic destinies goes to rogues
    Jesus saves. Everyone else rounds to nearest 5%.

Sarlona: Nafaka[Rogue] Nandu[Monk] Neotheny[Wizard]
    Bullet Fist Tony My rogue's build

I was just going to LR and trade some base INT for DEX and grab the extra sneak attack feats. I can get the INT modifier back from the destiny.

My big question is whether or not I stick with slashing weapons or switch to rapiers.
    Things worthy of Standing Stone going EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on.:
    • Epic and Legendary Mysterious ring upgrades, please.
    • Change the stack size of filigree in the shared bank to 50. The 5 stack makes the shared bank worthless for storing filigree in a human usable manner.
    • Fixing why I don't connect to the chat server for 5 minutes when I log into a game world.
    • Fixing the wonky Lightning Sphere and Tactical Det firing by converting them to use alchemist spell arcing.
    • Redoing the drop rates of tomes in generic and raid loot tables.

Going to try out both. Going str based while still getting enough dex for the epic feat is an option too for a 36p build.
    Triumore - Triu - Broktar
    Mitis Mors

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by QuantumFX View Post
    My big question is whether or not I stick with slashing weapons or switch to rapiers.
    For those like me that are still trying to get informed and understand the new stuff - what's in the new stuff that makes the rapiers potentially attractive over the slashers, and is it something that could be useful to classes other than rogue (say a fighter/rogue multiclass)?

Thanks

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by RS-Makk View Post
    For those like me that are still trying to get informed and understand the new stuff - what's in the new stuff that makes the rapiers potentially attractive over the slashers, and is it something that could be useful to classes other than rogue (say a fighter/rogue multiclass)?

Thanks
    The T4 Shadowdancer auto-grant adds a 3% chance to double strike with finesse-capable weapons, which leaves rapier as the highest base damage option.

Edit: Of course, none of the other Shadowdancer abilities require finesse weapons, so if switching to rapiers represents enough of a damage loss, there's no reason to change weapons if you don't want to.
    Last edited by Arkenvis; 06-25-2012 at 06:46 PM.

Community Member

LD seems a very poor choice for a rogue to me and shadowdancer does not inspire me much at all (but i may try it with my artificer).

i was actually considering going fury of the wild with my rogue. it provides a big chunk of hp, quite a few flat damage effects, a fort debuff and single target CC (via adrenaline). also since adrenaline is the same effect as a damage boost it should apply to SA damage.

the only problem is the grind involved to open it up and lately i don't really feel like grinding much.

the easily accessible alternative is GoF since my rogue is unarmed with a monk splash.

Well, my DEX +3'd Rogue is a first lifer, and my Human 36pt hasn't pulled her DEX +3 yet. I might consider spending some TP for that, since +3 Tomes are on store for good.

Extra SA damage is, well, SA damage. With all flaws we learned to deal with. Of course +12d6 from SD5 and 2 Improved SA feats would rock... where SA lands, anyway. That's what's keeping me a bit away from it. It's 25% Incorporeality, +7% Dodge (charging required) and Energy Drain immunity the big selling points, imho.

LD on the other hand has good synergy with Rogue Boosts, frees up some Heroic AP if you choose to pick LD Haste Boost, and increase all Boost counters at once. Add in the interesting Crit Range / Damage bonuses and Advancing Blows (kinda easy to keep with Rogue DPS/KC), but unfortunately those are at very high Tiers, rendering them unavailable or really hard to Twist.

Quote Originally Posted by destiny4405 View Post
    EDIT: yay, first thread for epic destinies goes to rogues
    Heh, I saw a new Forum and had to carve my flag. =]

Community Member

Will level SDancer then will move to fighter destiny. Not sure if I will LR into Dex Rog.
    Libras of Khyber, Rogue 80.
    Malakatai of Khyber, TR Gimp, useless almost all the time.

Leader of Discordia, community of friends and family.