Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Talking Best Weapons against oozes and slimes

I want to get the best weapon against oozes and tried to gather as much information as I could get. Did I get everything right? (EDIT: updated this post with the information from the many answers. So you don't have to read the whole thread )

Thank you for the many responses. I summarized my first post with all your tips and hints:

- any weapon not made of glass or everbright will take serious damage when fighting an ooze or slime (but not cubes)
    - a weapon that isn’t a blunt one may cause the ooze/slime to split
    - lighting damage can split some oozes
    - the splitted oozes have lower hp and are easier to kill with AoE’s
    - Handwarps don’t take damage form oozes and slimes
    - Throwing weapons don’t take damage from oozes
    - ooze bane doesn’t come with everbright cause both are suffixes (darn)
    - Oozes and slime have various elemental immunities (look at the post of Depravity further down).
    - DDO wiki says all oozes and slimes are neutral, only the named ooze Avatar of Jubilex seems to be lawfull evil.
    - True law and true chaos should work on all oozes and slimes
    - holy, aciomatic, arnachic don’t work on oozes and slimes
    - oozes and slimes have low saves and stats and can be paralyzed and ability drained in non epic quests
    - they have low ac, dual wielding at oozes don’t need twf feats, you’ll hit them easily without
    - vorpals don’t work (no head to cut off)
    - bleeding and Screaming works

Named ooze beaters are:
    - Muckbane (+1 glass club, lesser ooze bane, from Muck in durk got a secret, easy to get)
    - Muckdoom (+2 glass club, ooze bane, from Avatar of Jubilex in the pit)
    - Shining Devastation (+5 everbright greatclub, force, from litany of the dead)
    - Phosphor (+5 Heavy Mace, Sunburst, Everbright, Righteous, Impact, turn in reward for the tome of untold legends
    -Shrieking star (+2 glass mornigstar, roaring)
    - Souleater (made of crystal) as long as the mob hasn't deathward

Oozes and slimes are immune/ resistant to: (Chard by Depravity)

Code:
                                 Energy Type:
    Ooze       Acid    Cold    Elec    Fire    Force   Sonic   Disintegrate
    Arcane     Absorb  Immune  Immune  Immune  Immune  Immune  Damage
    Black      Damage  Damage  Damage  Damage  Damage  Damage  Damage
    Cube       Damage  Damage  Immune  Damage  Damage  Damage  Damage
    Gray       Damage  Immune  Damage  Immune  Damage  Damage  Damage
    Ochre      Damage  Damage  Resist  Damage  Damage  Damage  Damage
    Violet     Damage  Damage  Damage  Damage  Damage  Damage  Damage
    There are several good options to deal with oozes:
    - Greater oozebane handwarps
    - Greater oozebane throwing hammers
    - Dual wielded muckbanes/dooms or Phosphors
    - Dual wielded everbright maces or hammers
    - Shinning Devastation or an other everbright two handed blunt weapon
    - Good prefixes are: Paralyzing, true law, true chaos, weakening, force, screaming
    - if you can afford it you can put force and frost rituals on your ooze beaters
    - Sunflasks, Wand of Searing Light
    - disintegrate

For me the best weapons against oozes and slimes seem to be paralyzing handwarps of greater ooze bane. Force rital and risa ice work on these, but would be overkill I think.

If you don't want to use an itemslot only for an ooze beater you could look for a multi use weapon like a ghost touch adamantine maul of everbright. (would be good on oozes, slimes, rust monsters, golems and incorporeal mobs) Such a all-in-one beater can be created with the new crafting system. Everbright and ghost touch have both a low crafting level.
    Last edited by Jiirix; 08-19-2011 at 02:31 AM.
    BowHealer - The "Healer with legendary CC"-project: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...h-legendary-CC
    The Dungeons and Dragons Webcomic THE ORDER OF THE STICK BY RICH BURLEW
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/ootscast.html

Dont forget Sun flasks...sun flasks are great source of damage against oozes

paralyzing of everbright and/or maladroit of everbright, is pretty nice.
    Working crafted handwraps, that would be nice. Anytime soon.

thanks for the answers so far. i checked only the damage type but paralyzing and dex sapping is an option too.
    If sunflasks work other light damage is working too, right? Are there wands with light damage spells?
    BowHealer - The "Healer with legendary CC"-project: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...h-legendary-CC
    The Dungeons and Dragons Webcomic THE ORDER OF THE STICK BY RICH BURLEW
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/ootscast.html

Wand of Searing light is quite easy obtainable

i use disposable things like large devil scales geob silver of pg weapons gs blanks ect

Community Member Wraith_Sarevok's Avatar

First off, thanks for finding that post! It's exactly what I've been looking for.

Second, it's actually a bit more complicated than that:

- In the beginning: Sacrifice the nearest lootgen weapon you can get your hands on. Fight them barehanded if you have to. Do NOT use your main weapon(s) under any circumstances! Losing these in the middle of a quest will gimp your DPS, leading you to fail.

- For TWF, get a pair of Muckbane as soon as possible and maybe upgrade to Muck's Doom later on.

- You will actually WANT a slashing, piercing, and/or lightning weapon of everbright later on in order to purposely split oozes. Splitting oozes continuously cuts the offspring's HP down until they hit 10 HP (at least in the SRD). At that point, a single full-on attack or cleave from your weapon(s) can take them all out at the same time. They won't touch you if you're an AC tank, and if not, you can avoid them anyway via skillful movement. Trust me, the split oozes go down MUCH more quickly than hammering one continuously with a bludgeoning weapon, especially in Tomb of the Blighted (pretty sure those split).

- Gelatinous Cubes are different from other oozes in that their acid doesn't dissolve metal. I've tested this a couple of times. You can safely hit them with your best metal weapon without having it dissolve. Entering a cube's radius will inflict bludgeoning and acid damage on you. Acid resist and DR should mitigate both of those. You can also safely range them, but that takes more time if you're not a Ranger.

- As mentioned above, in any non-epic quest, Paralyzing and ability drain weapons will reliably disable an ooze. Once they're disabled, they're pretty much finished. Oozes have very poor universal saves, so they should get paralyzed almost all the time.

- Endgame: There are a couple of epic quests that feature oozes and rust monsters. Dreamspitter is a raid loot quarterstaff made of glass that drops in The Reaver's Fate. This item can inflict a few negative levels on an earthgrabbed ooze, which deal FAR more damage to them than just DPS at that point. However, your hands are pretty much tied. Their saves are high enough that paralyzing weapons will fail often, which leaves little to no reliable ways of rendering them helpless.

Ideal two-handed weapon is a +5 Shocking Burst Greataxe of Everbright (Force Damage Ritual, Icy Burst Ritual) to deal max DPS without losing your weapon. This also doubles as the best anti-rust monster weapon in the game. Shining Devastation from Litany of the Dead is a decent substitute until then.

Ideal dual weapons are similar Dwarven Waraxe versions of the above for the highest possible base damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiirix View Post
    I came to those conclusions: If you are two handed fighting the best weapon against oozes and slimes would be a two handed blunt weapon of true law or true chaos of everbright with a +5. As a bonus those weapon would also work against rust monsters, witch are neutral, too.
    True Law and True Chaos weapons are too restrictive depending on your alignment and you may not be able to use either. Bursting weapons deal much more damage, especially later on when you will be able to stun Rust Monsters with the Stunning Blow feat.
    Last edited by Wraith_Sarevok; 01-21-2011 at 05:05 AM.

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

TWF feats etc. don't seem to matter with oozes as they seem to have a horrible AC. I've kept a couple of muckbanes on my WF THF FvS and have never missed with power attack on (except on a 1 of course).

If you find a Greater Ooze bane weapon but worry about it breaking then bind and attune it to you so that it will never take permanent damage, then as long as it doesn't totally break before the end of the quest then you are fine.

I had a everbright greataxe on a barbarian and I used to swing that, oozes splitting seemed like a good thing as the smaller split oozes had less HP and suddenly everything was taking considerable glancing blow/cleave damage. Good way to get to onslaught.

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

1. Oozes are pretty easy to hit, so having a non-light weapon in the off-hand is not an issue.

2. I hear Electric can split some types of ooze, so might want to avoid Shocking weapons, if you don't want to split.

3. Not really sure if splitting is good or bad.

4. Dual-wielding Phosphors (Phosphor - +5 Heavy Mace, Sunburst, Everbright, Righteous, Impact) would be the best ooze beating combo, since (most/all?) oozes take double damage from Light damage. But, probably no one should bother getting 2 of these from Tome turn-ins for this.

5. Terror (Terror - +5 Glass Greatsword, Fearsome, Nightmares) is much easier to get and works very well on oozes. Even if you aren't proficient in Greatsword and don't have THF feats, still works better than Muckdoom. Again, oozes are easy to hit so the -4 non-proficiency isn't an issue. Does split them though.
    Author of Info Blue UI Skin (Really wish Turbine would update the skinning interface and enable all the new UI parts.)
    If you don't have an SSD, you should be using DDOPreload (fixes the slow first login issue)

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith_Sarevok View Post
    - You will actually WANT a slashing, piercing, and/or lightning weapon of everbright later on in order to purposely split oozes. Splitting oozes continuously cuts the offspring's HP down until they hit 10 HP (at least in the SRD). At that point, a single full-on attack or cleave from your weapon(s) can take them all out at the same time. They won't touch you if you're an AC tank, and if not, you can avoid them anyway via skillful movement. Trust me, the split oozes go down MUCH more quickly than hammering one continuously with a bludgeoning weapon, especially in Tomb of the Blighted (pretty sure those split).
    One of my favorite tactics against Oozes that split: Blade Barrier... I refer to it as "Jello in a Blender"
    Carpe D.M.! (Sieze the Dungeon Master!)
    Founder #2003 - Interocitor Repair - Call for discount prices

true law/chaos or acid everbright mauls/clubs/hammers/maces (prefer warhammers and mauls) with risia Frost on them...

The alignment damage hits all of them and the frost hits almost all of them. As the table shows. In addition you can find these for pretty cheap although most will be ML6 or higher (usually ML8-10)

I guess this is mostly obvious from the table in the OP but I've heard lots of people tell others that the alignment damage prefixes aren't any good, and frosting them is a waste of motes and blah blah blah... Probably the same people who think frosting a greater undead bane is a bad idea.

True story I was showing someone my +5 Ghost Touch Greater Undead Bane Great Axe with Risia Frost and was told in no uncertain terms that I was an idiot for crafting it. There was no telling the person that cold hits the majority of non-named Undead except Skells and "Frostmarrow" (and a few that are so important that I can't remember them) It even does purple damage against some of them. It heals "Frostmarrow" but I've got holy burst and flaming greater bane blunt weapons for Skells and frostmarrow,

Another blunt, glass weapon:

Shrieking Star - the morning star from Slavers of the Shrieking Mines.

It doesnt have ooze bane but it has Roaring and they all take sonic damamge AFAIK.
    I've even seen some oozes shaken by it.
    Last edited by Taluron; 01-21-2011 at 08:50 AM.
    Select one of the fabulous signatures from the list of your characters below!
    You have no characters
    Then what game was I playing last night

i usually keep a true law/true chaos of everbright blunt weapon as soon as i'm high enough level to use whichever one i have banked for them (maul or quarterstaff most common as i prefer 2hander style, but heavy mace or morningstar are handy too), depending on my character's alignment & class... shining devastation is a good reliable one too but only have the one of those
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was, now what's it is weird and scary to me.

Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    True story I was showing someone my +5 Ghost Touch Greater Undead Bane Great Axe with Risia Frost and was told in no uncertain terms that I was an idiot for crafting it. There was no telling the person that cold hits the majority of non-named Undead except Skells and "Frostmarrow" (and a few that are so important that I can't remember them) It even does purple damage against some of them. It heals "Frostmarrow" but I've got holy burst and flaming greater bane blunt weapons for Skells and frostmarrow,
    Immunity to Cold used to be a staple for undead in PnP DnD. Looked it up the last time this came up: 3.5 removed it as a default undead attribute. Most didn't notice.
    Even if they still were immune the frost would work on non-undead mixed into the mobs.
    Last edited by Taluron; 01-21-2011 at 09:14 AM.
    Select one of the fabulous signatures from the list of your characters below!
    You have no characters
    Then what game was I playing last night

Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    True story I was showing someone my +5 Ghost Touch Greater Undead Bane Great Axe with Risia Frost and was told in no uncertain terms that I was an idiot for crafting it.
    Ghost touch is one of those prefixes that actually benefits from a Risia ritual - much to pnp players' surprise.

I had to check myself to be sure: wraiths take dmg from frost, and - rather counter-intuitively, from maiming too.

That's what I like about DDO: never assume or presume.
    Go check yourself - 'cause them devs are up to no good, and love tweaking and changing rules when you're not watching like an ettin.

By the way - I've found a ghost touch maul of everbright, and it's been serving my barb as a handy two-way foe beater.
    Wonder if it comes in adamantine too; it could potentially cover several enemy types while taking up just one inventory slot.
    * Live by the Pencil - My D&D-related Art * <-> * Focus Orb Paperbag - My Workaround for Helves *

Quote Originally Posted by Alabore View Post
    By the way - I've found a ghost touch maul of everbright, and it's been serving my barb as a handy two-way foe beater.
    Wonder if it comes in adamantine too; it could potentially cover several enemy types while taking up just one inventory slot.
    no reason why you couldnt find an adamatine version.. every random weapon generated has a chance of a +X effect, prefix effect, an exotic material & a suffix effect wont be the most powerful single-target weapon out there, but yeah would be a pretty versatile one
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was, now what's it is weird and scary to me.

Community Member

I just lob the closest Monk at them and hide.

Technically, it's not piking because I had to, a) catch, and, b) toss, the Monk.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by basketaske View Post
    paralyzing of everbright and/or maladroit of everbright, is pretty nice.
    This.

Hit 3-5 times with Maladroit Everbright, then level-drain with Dreamspitter.

That's what I do. They have a dex of about 2 usually.

try keeping a ray of enfeeblement handy (you can get it in clicky form) and then use negative level stuff

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast