Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Adding Frost overwrote my Superior Glaciation VIII

I added Superior glaciation VIII to a +3 Superior Potency VI scepter. The + of the item went from +12 to +19. Yeehaaww. I equipped the item and it gave me the message in my combat log that now my ice based spells will do 50% more damage due to Superior Glaciation VIII. I then figured what the heck and decided to put Frost on the weapon for giggles. Not so funny as I soon after found out that the Frost recipe OVERWROTE my superior glaciation VIII. The + of the weapon is now back to +12. No message about ice spell dmg when equipped. Let me tell you that I already have a +3 superior combustion VII scepter WITH Superior Glaciation VIII on it AND icy burst. This all happened without a hitch during the July winter games. I put in a new ticket and the GM advised me that This isn't a known issue and so he couldn't help me get Superior Glaciation VIII back on the weapon. Well it is NOT in the release notes/known issues for Update 8. So it is a bug. What I am wondering is, how do I get my item fixed to have the stats it should?

your other weapon is an "exploit" and the one replaced with frost was working properly. You're only supposed to be able to have one effect on there at a time. This is WAI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Huxley
    There is no greater mistake than the hasty conclusion that opinions are worthless because they are badly argued
    Turbine, you can hire more developers for the game. We operate on a giant Theocracy of Debt, so go all out finding developers for the best MMO out there

No release notes specified this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadesborne View Post
    No release notes specified this.
    There was a huge thread on this last time (or was it the first time..) the games came out and they worked to fix it. The reason you don't see it on the release notes is that they never publicly acknowledge exploits unless you see a bunch of threads starting to get deleted on a subject. The monks able to use any UMDable consumable thing was fixed and that was nowhere in the release notes either since it was an exploit.
    Last edited by Ranmaru2; 12-18-2010 at 12:51 AM.
    There is no greater mistake than the hasty conclusion that opinions are worthless because they are badly argued
    Turbine, you can hire more developers for the game. We operate on a giant Theocracy of Debt, so go all out finding developers for the best MMO out there

Quote Originally Posted by Ranmaru2 View Post
    There was a huge thread on this last time (or was it the first time..) the games came out and they worked to fix it. The reason you don't see it on the release notes is that they never publicly acknowledge exploits unless you see a bunch of threads starting to get deleted on a subject. The monks able to use any UMDable consumable thing was fixed and that was nowhere in the release notes either since it was an exploit.
    These are two completely different issues, Monks abilities are very clearly defined as to what they can do, ice crafting is not and WAI really does not cut it here, putting it in the release notes should have been addressed.
    Milacias of Kyber

Leader of the Crimson Eagles Kyber

The Myth- TR will make my character powerful
    The Reality- Those kobolds in Water Works won’t have a chance but nothing else cares-Learn to play your build and all its abilities in actual difficult content, get gear and reaper points in level 30+ content and raids.

Default Btw...................

Thanks for the giggles

Quote Originally Posted by noinfo View Post
    These are two completely different issues, Monks abilities are very clearly defined as to what they can do, ice crafting is not and WAI really does not cut it here, putting it in the release notes should have been addressed.
    Do they need to put explicit instructions each time the event is out?
    I don't see you complaining that there was a lack of full instructions for this ice games.
    The difference between fixing one known exploit and another is that there is no difference.
    Adumbrate, Sienn, Selket, Synaxis, Ognwe-, Halpin, Sivva, Bigstick, Jemus, Colichemarde
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunga
    His pant muscles aren't as big as ours...

Quote Originally Posted by oberon131313 View Post
    Do they need to put explicit instructions each time the event is out?
    I don't see you complaining that there was a lack of full instructions for this ice games.
    The difference between fixing one known exploit and another is that there is no difference.
    So you think a simple:
    Please be aware that an item can carry only one icy effect is not appropriate to add? It is more than reasonable to expect that people will try and combine them onto a single item, this is a REASONABLE expection if it is not stated explicitly, not an exploit.

As for not complaining about lack of full instructions for ice games, maybe if I actually wanted to play them I would care about it. I may buy some icy burst kits (or not) but don't confuse my lack on interest in the event with the OP's issue which should have been clearly documented as it is something people will obviously try.
    Milacias of Kyber

The Reality- Those kobolds in Water Works won’t have a chance but nothing else cares-Learn to play your build and all its abilities in actual difficult content, get gear and reaper points in level 30+ content and raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadesborne View Post
    Not so funny as I soon after found out that the Frost recipe OVERWROTE my superior glaciation VIII.
    Wow, that's an expensive glitch. I'm wondering if (1) you add both effects by starting with Icy Burst, and then adding Glaciation - worse comes to worst, it's not as expensive or important to lose the icy burst, and (2) does this have anything to do with the broken descriptions?

I've acquired all the components to add both Icy Burst and Sup Glaciation to my weapon... but I'm waiting til the next Risia weekend in the vain hope that Turbine might hotfix the description bug.
    Keybreaker, Exalted Tyrants

So you think a simple:
    Please be aware that an item can carry only one icy effect is not appropriate to add? It is more than reasonable to expect that people will try and combine them onto a single item, this is a REASONABLE expection if it is not stated explicitly, not an exploit.

As for not complaining about lack of full instructions for ice games, maybe if I actually wanted to play them I would care about it. I may buy some icy burst kits (or not) but don't confuse my lack on interest in the event with the OP's issue which should have been clearly documented as it is something people will obviously try.
    Believe it or not, my points were related: it's already been discussed that only 1 recipe per item should apply, why should they need to repeat themselves?
    Adumbrate, Sienn, Selket, Synaxis, Ognwe-, Halpin, Sivva, Bigstick, Jemus, Colichemarde
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunga
    His pant muscles aren't as big as ours...

Release Notes from Update 4:

Crafting

* The Risian recipe for Cold touch can no longer be added to an item that already has a cold effect, as per the recipe description.
    * Risian recipes that add Cold Touch, Frost, and Icy Burst to a randomly generated weapon can no longer be stacked on each other in random orders, and items that previously had multiples stacked in this manner now have only the most powerful effect.

Quote Originally Posted by oberon131313 View Post
    Believe it or not, my points were related: it's already been discussed that only 1 recipe per item should apply, why should they need to repeat themselves?
    Because there are new people to the game, there are also changes made and it is common sense and good relations to make a sticky set of event release notes that are linked to when they announce the event. Documentation is a good thing. The effort to put in a 400 word or so summary of the event etc can save people this frustration. Can you say that this is a bad thing?

Saying things were discussed on the forum before is irrelvant to the discussion as it assumes people are actively searching for it in the first place. As what the OP did is not obviously an exploit/not supported etc, why would he search the forums for it?
    Milacias of Kyber

Release Notes from Update 4:

Crafting

* The Risian recipe for Cold touch can no longer be added to an item that already has a cold effect, as per the recipe description.
    * Risian recipes that add Cold Touch, Frost, and Icy Burst to a randomly generated weapon can no longer be stacked on each other in random orders, and items that previously had multiples stacked in this manner now have only the most powerful effect.
    Related to the OP how?

1. The item does not have a cold effect it was potency.
    2. It does not need to stack with anything.

And even if #1 did apply it should not ALLOW cold touch to be added not overwrite it.
    Milacias of Kyber

Saying things were discussed on the forum before is irrelvant to the discussion as it assumes people are actively searching for it in the first place. As what the OP did is not obviously an exploit/not supported etc, why would he search the forums for it?
    The OP having the other item with Icy Burst and Sup Glaciation VIII from prior risian events is using an exploit that they apparently didn't fix all the way...

And if the recipes are replacing instead of acknowledging there's a recipe on there already, then I can concede that that is a bug, but if it's supposed to allow replacing recipes with other recipes, then it's WAI.

The OP was trying to recreate the Exploit from the July winter games with his other item, and obviously it didn't fly this time.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Keybreaker View Post
    I've acquired all the components to add both Icy Burst and Sup Glaciation to my weapon... but I'm waiting til the next Risia weekend in the vain hope that Turbine might hotfix the description bug.
    dont attempt that exploit. Either it will ruin the sup glaciation effect, or like last year, the devs will delete or modify the item during a maintance.
    Has nothing to do with description bug.

It sucks that you had to find out the hard way, but the effect is WAI.

That said, it would not kill them to state it more clearly...is it on the recipe itself that you can only add one "type" of effect per weapon? Not sure, just asking as I don't recall seeing it on the recipe text.
    ~ Pallai, Chennai, Saraphima~
    ~Shipbuff, Sophalia, Northenstar ~
    ~ Ascent~

Quote Originally Posted by phalaeo View Post
    It sucks that you had to find out the hard way, but the effect is WAI.

That said, it would not kill them to state it more clearly...is it on the recipe itself that you can only add one "type" of effect per weapon? Not sure, just asking as I don't recall seeing it on the recipe text.
    What makes you say its WAI? It could very well be a bug IF it not documented somewhere.
    Milacias of Kyber

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Default I dont think this risia ice games worked at all

I placed COLD TOUCH and FROST on a weapon during this game.

The weapon seemed to do COLD TOUCH every hit, but I did not fully test by killing mutliple enemies with it. The weapon DOES NOT always do FROST damage. The weapon I did this to is a 1/2 Orc RR level 6 +5 Quarterstaff. I tested in Cerulean Hills. Yes, I have a half orc that uses quarter staves.

I use a FROST weapon from the previous ice games, on a different character, one that does not have database error message on it, and it works EVERY HIT.

I stopped all risia ice games crafting after this. I am afraid that two of my recipe 5s were used up. I used those first thing on Monday when I discovered the Risia Ice Games boo boo.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

I am actually surprised at how screwed up the Ice Games are this winter. The fact that there are more bugs and nasty surprises now than there were this summer is just kind of sad.

I was actually planning on adding Superior Glaciation III to a +2 Icy Burst Greataxe and Superior Glaciation V to my Holy/PG/Icy Burst Greataxe just so that I would have a nice lowbie weapon for my Wizard to weild when I TR.

I know that the Frost/Icy Burst weapons were unintended, but I spend a decent amount of time pouring over the release notes for each update and I think that you can tell from my post count that I spend a decent amount of time on the forums and the no Icy Burst/Glaciation items is a complete surprise for me.

OP, I'm sorry that you got caught in DDO's poor documentation and thank you for sharing the warning.

your other weapon is an "exploit" and the one replaced with frost was working properly. You're only supposed to be able to have one effect on there at a time. This is WAI.
    hmmmm exploit? more like faulty QA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast