Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Soloing Eye of the Titan (for Ear-Dweller)- Hard or Elite?

The quest with a full good group on normal takes about 15 minutes. No eardweller

The quest on normal solo takes about 20 minutes.no ear-dweller

Solo on hard also about 20 minutes. Chance of ear-dweller (1.5%)

Solo on Elite up to 40 minutes. better chance of Ear-dweller. (3%)

Seems to me that although there is less of a chance of ear-dweller dropping on hard you can run at least twice as many runs then on elite. So soloing on hard seems the way to go.

Does this seem right to you?
    Last edited by CheapToad1; 05-05-2010 at 09:20 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by CheapToad1 View Post
    Seems to me that although there is less of a chance of ear-dweller dropping on hard you can run at least twice as many runs then on elite. So soloing on hard seems the way to go.
    What kind of character do you have that takes 40 minutes elite? Maybe you should work on speeding that up, keeping in mind there's a tavern a short distance outside so you can get a ton more mana with just a two-minute run.

Community Member

I have a 20 wizzy, the problem being the only time i do damage is when i throw a crit wall (1 out of 10 maybe). And their resisits are real high. I do recall out to the tavern (way to much) on elite. Remember the mobs are cr29 on elite and only cr 23 on hard

On hard I only have to recall once

does being ransacked make it not drop? or is it not tied to that?
    Divs(13ranger\6fighter\1rogue) Divatank(18cleric\2fighter) Divit(12bard\6fighter\2rogue) Div(20fighter)

I have a 20 wizzy, the problem being the only time i do damage is when i throw a crit wall (1 out of 10 maybe). And their resisits are real high. I do recall out to the tavern (way to much) on elite.
    This is how I did it when I first started farming for the eardweller. After, I started just wailing everything, for the most part. Instadeath seems to work fine on the scourges, and to a lesser extent the reavers. I'd usually give each of them an energy drain, then wail the group. In the case of spiders, firewalls work the best; if I get a crit from them, I usually drag everything else through it.

As for the boss, a waves of exhaustion and ray of enfeeblement usually stops him from casting soloing hard (can't remember if this works for soloing elite, too).

6. 05-05-2010, 11:36 AM

If you can get your necromancy DC up to about 39 or 40 it makes the quest go much faster.

I redid my enhances to get Pale Master II just for farming the eardweller. Takes about 15 minutes per run on elite.

Use wail and finger of death on the scourges at the start. Then on the ramps spit out 1 or 2 cloudkills and use wail and finger on the 7 or 8 scourges there.

Then while you wait for the titan to wander around and beat up giants, you can recall out to visit the tavern and refill on mana.

Go back inside and wait for the titan to get beat up by the stormreaver. Spit out a few cloudkills and run around like crazy inside them while shooting wail and finger of death. The reavers might take a couple energy drains to take down.

Finger/wail the last 4 reavers, otherwise you have to deal with them after the boss is dead. You can either kite the boss over to the ledge in the dead end outside, or stand on the ledge over the exit barrier. If you use waves of exhaustion and ray of enfeeblement on it you will get automatic crits with a melee or ranged weapon.

So I exhaust+enfeeble it, then cast firewall until I get a crit and then equip a bow for free autocrit damage. Usually takes 2-3 crit firewalls while shooting the bow to kill it.

After 45 runs on elite I finally got my brain slug.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by shel12 View Post
    does being ransacked make it not drop? or is it not tied to that?
    The clam can not be ransacked.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowsaun View Post
    (before I TRed) I was criting about 1 in 3 FW's. .

1 in 3??!!! How the **** did you do that?
    • 9% Major Fire Lore
    • 9% Linage III
    • +??

My sorc can farm it in about 18 minutes. 15 if I'm lucky w/ the crit firewalls.
    Necro DC of 35.. soon to be 37 = no problem killing anything in there.
    Check out my: My Index of Builds / My Capped Characters on Khyber: Krythan II / Velkro Sorcerer / Krythen 13/6/1 Rogue
    Need Some XP? / AFK for a bit: School. / See WF Body Feat Appearances

Community Member Beherit_Baphomar's Avatar

40 minutes on elite? Good lawd!!!

Why are you using firewall? Energy drain and wail are your friend in there.
    Binding is Admitting Defeat ~ Yndrofian
    Plook~Squidgie~Eyern~Irnbru~Grotesque
    Of The O.S.D, Argonnessen
    Quote Originally Posted by Grace_ana View Post
    At least I'm not on G-Land.

Quote Originally Posted by Beherit_Baphomar View Post
    40 minutes on elite? Good lawd!!!

Why are you using firewall? Energy drain and wail are your friend in there.

Only FW on boss. ED and Wail are BOSS in there

Quote Originally Posted by Goldeneye View Post
    1 in 3??!!! How the **** did you do that?
    • 9% Major Fire Lore
    • 9% Linage III
    • +??

My sorc can farm it in about 18 minutes. 15 if I'm lucky w/ the crit firewalls.
    Necro DC of 35.. soon to be 37 = no problem killing anything in there.
    Yes
    yes
    +good luck

Belive it or not, I have seen 3-4 crit walls in a ROW in there. (it only takes about 3 to finish her) In fact most of the time..I would be critting 1 or two times in a row Maybe I was just lucky..but not lucky enough to get the holy slug

If you are farming this (as a caster), MAX fw damage is a must MAX crit chance is a must; super hi necro is a must.

Community Member

Solo on Elite up to 40 minutes. better chance of Ear-dweller. (3%)
    Do you go afk while doing the quest? Seriously as many people have said wail and fod the trash, boss goes down within max 2 crit fws, and dbf fb and polar, shouldnt take more then that.

8 min run
    Last edited by ayspam; 05-05-2010 at 01:58 PM.
    ~~~ R E V E N A N T S ~~~
    Ayspam Life #27/27(Completionist Sorc), Aycare Life #10/10(Evoker FvS), Ayplink Life #22/22(Completionist to be decided), Aygo Life #14/14(Helvesbarian)

Yea thats a bit long heh.

My max DC necromancer did a good 100 runs before I gave up with no dweller. After alot of practice I got it down to 9 minuits with some lucky rolls. Average 10-11 mins.

Using wall of fire is just a bad idea. Even if your necro DC is poor, use lots of energy drain and instan kills, it will be much more effecient. Cloudkill is also a good idea to lower there saves *all cept the ravers, there immune for some reason.

There has also been a fair amount of strategy discussion on the EarDweller tracker:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=231243

So much so at some points that it was hard to keep track of the pulls
    Ishamiel ~Rhayak ~ Badhorse ~Kyode ~ Drhorrible ~ Hjealmeh
    ChaosKnights ~~~ Argonnessan
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    That's pretty awesome. Armor plated earslugs...

one more victim member in the dweller cult!!! Thanks for posting that link for him Its been fun reading all the ear dweller fan boy talk

Quote Originally Posted by shadowsaun View Post
    one more victim member in the dweller cult!!! Thanks for posting that link for him Its been fun reading all the ear dweller fan boy talk
    I simply listen to the voices in my head... they haven't told me to kill anyone..... yet.
    Ishamiel ~Rhayak ~ Badhorse ~Kyode ~ Drhorrible ~ Hjealmeh
    ChaosKnights ~~~ Argonnessan
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    That's pretty awesome. Armor plated earslugs...

Community Member

Can someone send me a PM on maxing necro pls?

Quote Originally Posted by Heronous View Post
    The clam can not be ransacked.

That made me giggle.

So I tried to solo this tonight for the first time (just seeing how feasible it would be for me to try for an eardweller) and first time in on hard I took the advice here to use Enervate+FoD rather than wall of Fire (although fire seems better for the spiders), and that works really well I agree, but it can also be a SP-suck, especially when you don't land it immediately. So, I quickly ran out of SP during the ambush, and had to recall out and was ready to give up...

..but then I read around again and realized that people were refilling on SP at the tavern and then going back in before it reset. That's not something I usually do (because if I die while soloing I figure that's the game's way of telling me that the quest is too tough for me), but I figured I'd try it...

..so I went back in on hard (with a hireling cleric) and it took me 6 deaths/rez/returns but I eventually beat the boss. And no eardweller of course -- not that I really expected one. But, I assume that this is not how other people are doing this efficiently (that took me an hour, btw). I suspect that I am doing a lot of things wrong. Any suggestions for how to maximize the chances of a smooth(er) run on a non-geared solo wizard? I looked at that other thread and it seems to be mostly about the drop rate more than anything, or the people giving tips were either a) clerics or b) sorcs with zillion SP. thanks...

Other then what I said, it just takes practice to learn how to land spells on mobs without taking any damage yourself. Keys are haste displace and jump.

Using FoD is ineffeciient as well, but sometimes nessasary. The large majority of what you cast should be wail of the banshee, and try to hit as many targets as possible per cast.

I generally only use FoD vs the reavers due to there very high saves and SR (and being you can have a higher spell on FoD then wail due to its lower lvl, its somewhat more effective)

After you clear the first 3 batchs of easy quaori and get to the ambush.. Set up several cloudkill ans dance around them until you get a good pack of mobs, then unload several wails. Generally only the reavers should survive, then pick them off with drains + FoD.

I was thinking about doing a video of ithis but never did.. Mrcow has a good one up in his TR guide tho, it shows the basic strategy of using cloudkill and where to cast, tho his video is on normal (im sure hes done elite allot too)
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=226992

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast