Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What a waste!

Community Member

Default What a waste!

I'd like to see us keep a portion of our XP from deleted characters.

For example, if I delete a level 5 a percentage4 of that XP would remain in the slot that I just deleted, granted to the next character I create in that slot.

You really need to completely think about something all the way thru before you post a suggestion.

You said in a prior post of yours that everyone should look from all angles before making a response, I would like to suggest you actually look at all angles before you post anything please.

This post has finally brought me to think that you are strictly out to bait people into flaming you and getting infraction points and not actually try and make viable suggestions.

I hope i dont get any points for this as I am by no means trying to flame, I am just asking you to put on your best Fireman's suit because I can feel the fire coming and I havent even found the match or light fluid yet.

No.
    Deleting means a fresh start - period. If it's a waste, then don't reroll.
    Exit, pursued by a bear. ~ William Shakespeare (stage direction from The Winter's Tale)

Community Member

Actually, this is an idea from the old old bbs mud game MajorMUD and it was a REALLY nice feature that I've missed ever since.

It meant that even if you took a dive, you would still come back with a measure of the power you had before.

It worked very well.

I'm sick of seeing these threads. Stop feeding the fire people. Most of you just seem happy to argue.

Stop?
    "The proper office of a friend is to side with you when you are in the wrong. Nearly anybody will side with you when you are in the right."

The Burning Hand ~ Sarlona
    (\/)annaz ~ (\/)annox ~ (\/)anny ~ (\/)annfred

like i posted on one of the other threads. stop feeding the forum trolls and eventually they'll go away.

He is right - I'm a veteran of a few MUD's and some of them had a 'reincarnation' type of feature with varying effects on the future stats/characteristics.

I'm not sure I like the suggestion as-is, however, I fail to see how it's a flame-worthy comment or even really out there at all. It's just a suggestion.
    Currently, my own favorite topic would be character respecs.

In my own opinion, most of the necessary code and UI's are already in place to handle it. Picture this for a FULL character respec:

Snapshot of character is taken - mostly, to acquire the "Inherent Bonuses" to stats from tomes and the current experience total and choices for appearance and all quest completion status's.

Player is then taken to the stock/default character creation screen - and get to acquire stats EXACTLY like they might if they were building a fresh/new character including skills, spells, etc.

After going to level 1 and being created, the inherent bonuses are applied.
    Player merely goes to the trainer of their choice and if they're capped on experience, talks 13 separate times.

Comment: The tomes are being applied before they got them originally.
    Reply: Who cares, it's supposed to be fun, what does it *really* hurt to do this? This is a cooperative not competitive game.

Options: The player may or may not be able to select a different race and/or classes.
    Ghallanda ReRolled Naxy-Transil-Kottol-Nax-Riorsil-Riorik-Kaol

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riorik View Post
    He is right - I'm a veteran of a few MUD's and some of them had a 'reincarnation' type of feature with varying effects on the future stats/characteristics.

I'm not sure I like the suggestion as-is, however, I fail to see how it's a flame-worthy comment or even really out there at all. It's just a suggestion.
    Currently, my own favorite topic would be character respecs.

In my own opinion, most of the necessary code and UI's are already in place to handle it. Picture this for a FULL character respec:

Snapshot of character is taken - mostly, to acquire the "Inherent Bonuses" to stats from tomes and the current experience total and choices for appearance and all quest completion status's.

Player is then taken to the stock/default character creation screen - and get to acquire stats EXACTLY like they might if they were building a fresh/new character including skills, spells, etc.

After going to level 1 and being created, the inherent bonuses are applied.
    Player merely goes to the trainer of their choice and if they're capped on experience, talks 13 separate times.

Comment: The tomes are being applied before they got them originally.
    Reply: Who cares, it's supposed to be fun, what does it *really* hurt to do this? This is a cooperative not competitive game.

Options: The player may or may not be able to select a different race and/or classes.

This would be handy for older botched characters (i.e. stats or skills you ask yourself "What the hell was I thinking?")

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dingo123 View Post
    This would be handy for older botched characters (i.e. stats or skills you ask yourself "What the hell was I thinking?")
    Why should you get to keep the good parts of what you did and not the bad?

10. 09-06-2007, 06:44 AM

Reason
    Masked profanity

11. 09-06-2007, 06:50 AM

Don't think I like this idea. :/

If a capped character rerolled, and started at, let's say, level 3 (Or whatever. I dunno what you'd put the percent at, but a capped character has a lot of XP to begin with.). . . Then he has no reason to do a few of the lower level quests. So, he's skipping content. And then we get people complaining more about no content.

And along with that. . . It's not all that hard to level already. Instead of taking a few seconds to delete a character and reroll him to start at level 3 or whatever, just take an evening or two with some friends, enjoy the game, and you'll be level 3 again in no time.

I don't exactly see how this would be helpful. I mean, sure, you get to keep some of the EXP, and that you "keep the good parts" or whatever, but. . . It's, like, a few hours to get back up to where you would be if you got the EXP instantly.

I really don't see how hard it is to just take an evening or two, and start over from scratch, instead of asking to instantly be level 2 or 3 (If you were capped), or have an edge against a new player to the game, since you're getting an EXP boost from the beginning. :/

-D
    Thelanis - Warforged Shield of the <Fellowship of the Golden Night>

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lorien the First One View Post
    *sigh* then why not just start at L14 Dingo? It's just a game, you should be able to start all powerful...

You might want to go back to your post on viewing the game as a whole.
    You're going to sit there... with a straight face... and equate respec with starting with a brand new level 14 character out of the box?

You're really going to do that.

You're going to ignore the possibly weeks worth of effort spent actually playing the game?

You're going to tell me that someone ELSES fun should be smeared because it's best for THEM? It's certainly not best of the game. People having the characters they want is best for the game, not characters they're frustrated with and resent.

So yes, you want to force people to experience the game you want them to "for their own good".

Right-O.

There is actually a bases for this in table top as well. Normally in the case where the group is of lvl X that is much higher than first. Now maybe your DM won't let you come back as the same level but close to it.

While it would be nice... I have to say I'm against it. It is not overtly hard to level in this game at all. A few bad pugs may set you back some, but nothing that is not easily over come.

Dingo, please do everyone (yourself included). Stop flaming and flame baiting people. Your original post was not bait this time. But your subsequent posts most definatly are.

For example, if I delete a level 5 a percentage4 of that XP would remain in the slot that I just deleted, granted to the next character I create in that slot.
    It's a remote possibility, only in the fact that some house rules of PnP allwed this.

But Alas, DDO is not a PnP carbon-copy, and we earn XP too fast as it is now.

I say no, do not allow this, for the reasons below.

I have re-rolled at least 6-7 characters, from 4-9th level, and I still am glad I didnt get the residual XP benefit.

It opens the door for abuse in my mind, and shoddy character design.

Just take a moment, do your research, and make sound decisions about your characters build/development.

Otherwise, you'll see an army of the latest rule-munchkin builds, hit level cap so fast, it will make your head swim, and then DDO will be in trouble.
    Shaamis is REBORN! Stronger!Faster! DRUNKER THAN EVER!!! - DeathSmile Guild on Hardcore - The Drunken Monk of Stormreach on all other servers!

Thats a pretty lame idea, actually. If it takes you more than 2 hours to get to level 3, solo on pretty much any class, you have obviously no need to get that exp back. Learn how to play.
    Fyshie the Tasty, of Thelanis
    Notit of Khyber
    I may not like what you have to say, but I will defend to the death, your right to say it.

Community Member

I dont like it. It makes no sense in a D&D capacity. Experiences of another character, in no way should benefit any other charcter. They didnt fight those monsters, why would they benefit? There is a core set of rules they are working from, this change would make no sense from a D&D standpoint(or is that the point?). I vote no.

Sigh... What a waste is right. Soon there will be no trains left.
    Proud member of DWAT - Xorian forged, quenched in the blood of butterflies
    Arnn, Duana, Gultyrr, Mahd Bardigan, Ahliriana, Arnnette, Conch Fritter, Jwuana, Thayla, Margaritte da Ville
    God is good, beer is great and women are crazy.

19. 09-06-2007, 07:23 AM

There is a form of benefit gained by another character gaining XP in DDO, it's the Drow/32-point build reward.

XP is easy to re-earn, but try to earn Drow racial stats, or four more creation points for non-drow builds.

DDO already has this kind of reward, just not the way you were thinking.
    Shaamis is REBORN! Stronger!Faster! DRUNKER THAN EVER!!! - DeathSmile Guild on Hardcore - The Drunken Monk of Stormreach on all other servers!

Default Wouldnt' hate it

Wow, you guys are hard on Dingo. Regardless of whether or not you like his ideas, atleast he is presenting constructive ideas. And even if you don't agree with him, he has the right to post whatever he wants. If you don't like his ideas, a simple "I don't aggree with this because..." would do. You guys are like forum bullies. Ease off...

Anywho, as far as the idea. I wouldn't hate if they put something like this in. I have run out of characters slots twice over and between current and deleted toons. And letting me skip some of the lower level content that i have run an insane number of times would not make me feel that there is less content in the game. The only content i really feel the game is lacking at this point is more high level content. Stuff to do with my capped toons.

In the long run, this would probably only save me a couple nights worth of playing but i like the line of thinking. It might give people some incentive to reroll capped toons which would put off the endgame a little for them.
    ATARI SUCKS!!!!

Community Member

You're going to sit there... with a straight face... and equate respec with starting with a brand new level 14 character out of the box?

You're really going to do that.

You're going to ignore the possibly weeks worth of effort spent actually playing the game?

You're going to tell me that someone ELSES fun should be smeared because it's best for THEM? It's certainly not best of the game. People having the characters they want is best for the game, not characters they're frustrated with and resent.

So yes, you want to force people to experience the game you want them to "for their own good".

Right-O.
    Again Dingo it fall back to enjoying the game. If you dont like the way the game runs then dont play it. You have shown time and time agian that you dont like the way the game works. Ok we get it. You dont like DDO. The rest of us like it the way it is for the most part. We all know there are a few issues that need to be worked but none the less we still love it. Your suggestion would completely mess the game up and cause most of us would end up leaving. I know i would if they started doing the things they asked for, and not just to spit you but because the idea's really blow.
    No! You can't GREASE a Beholder!!

Sorry, but if you are thinking of the game as "effort" and you don't enjoy it, why play it? Take my Warhammer:FB army I am putting together. Yes I have to paint literally hundreds of little figures, that is after carefully assembling them, which comes after carefully designing the forces of the army. All of this would be seen as some as "work" or "effort". I could see someone saying, "All that time and effort putting together an army and it gets its butt whooped?" I see it as something to do that is relaxing and has me focusing on something other than how my day went. DDO is the same sort of thing.

I think too many people focus on what the current MAX level is and forget the fun they had the first time they played their character. Now level 2 is just a chore when the first time through they went, "Alright, level 2 already. At level 3 I get a new feat/spell/ability! Almost there." A slight shift in perspective can make a "task" more "fun".

Because it's a fugging video game? Are you like Calvin's dad or something? Going to lecture me on the joys of adversity and how it will help be build character?
    Apparently you missed why the comic is funny. Not only is it funny because it happens to us all that we have some authority figure announce how it will be good for us, but also because it is true. This is called irony. It's ironic that we all grumble about it, that Calvin points out the silliness of saying it, and that in the end it is still true. People don't appreciate what they have not worked/suffered for.

Take 5 college students. Ride around with them for a few days and I bet you can pick out who actually paid for their car, or is paying for their car, themselves and who had mommy, daddy, or grand-something give/buy them a car.
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."
    -Barry LePatner

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast