PDA

View Full Version : Build Request: 12 Fighter / 8 Monk (or 6 Monk + 2 X)

BigDaddyY
05-03-2017, 01:08 PM
Hello everyone,

I´m looking for some build advice:

12 Fighter / 8 Monk (or 6 Monk + 2 X)
Human
TWF
All-in for melee, no ranged options.
Run in Robes
36 PTS Build , +5 tomes everything. I don´t like sneaking. If possible, high DCs for CC.

This build shall mainly be targeted as a TR build for heroics to get 3 Fighter PL and 3 Human Racial Lifes.

What I wish for but not sure for and need to scale about:

1) Going Unarmed or armed? I´m afraid that an unarmed LVL8 Monk (2x1d6 base) WIS-based for DCs and Monk-Fu will offer too less DPS, even with Kensei T5.

2) For being centered with a weapon (also considering about number of feats to spend), Shortsword or Longsword? Either C2 Ninja-Spy to stay centered with shortswords or Whirling-Steel-Strike for staying centered with Longswords for also not being limited to take Kensei T5 and try some Monk-Tree T5?

3) If ever trying EPICS, would WSS benefit from Dance of Flowers or doesn´t it like wiki says? Or would the OWTB-Version + DOF be a saver option?

Advices welcome and appreciated

unbongwah
05-03-2017, 02:13 PM
Unless you're going unarmed (in which case you gain an extra +0.5[W]), monk 7 & 8 doesn't add much to this build, so I would splash something else, like rogue for trap skills or cleric / FvS for Divine Might.

If you're going for T5 Kensei, you can take One with Blade and any melee Focus weapon becomes a ki weapon. For TWF, this usually means khopeshes are your best option, unless you have specific weapons you want to reuse.

AFAIK, as long as you remain centered, Dance of Flowers will apply to your ki weapons, inc. Focus weapons from OwB.

CThruTheEgo
05-03-2017, 06:10 PM
1) Going Unarmed or armed? I´m afraid that an unarmed LVL8 Monk (2x1d6 base) WIS-based for DCs and Monk-Fu will offer too less DPS, even with Kensei T5.

With only 8 monk levels, you won't have the DCs for monk abilities. You can, however build for stunning fist and/or stunning blow.

Unarmed has no synergy with ninja spy (ninjitsu line damage bonus and tier five crit range do not affect wraps). Unarmed has excellent synergy with shintao, though. You could also go unarmed with kensai as your primary tree.

2) For being centered with a weapon (also considering about number of feats to spend), Shortsword or Longsword? Either C2 Ninja-Spy to stay centered with shortswords or Whirling-Steel-Strike for staying centered with Longswords for also not being limited to take Kensei T5 and try some Monk-Tree T5?

If you want ninja spy as your primary tree, then I'd stick with short swords. There are better named options throughout all levels and they are only behind, on average, by 1 base damage. I'd rather save two feats, personally, unless you just want the flavor of long swords.

Ninja spy is very underwhelming as a primary tree in my opinion. If you just want to try it out, then go for it. But if your goal is effectiveness, then go with kensai.

If you're willing to go with kensai as your primary tree, then your options are unlimited. As unbongwah mentioned, khopesh is still highest dps, but you may have more named options with other weapon types.

3) If ever trying EPICS, would WSS benefit from Dance of Flowers or doesn´t it like wiki says? Or would the OWTB-Version + DOF be a saver option?

I see the whirling steel strike entry says dance of flowers doesn't affect long swords, but it is also says that claim is unverified. Dance of flowers is supposed to affect any weapon while centered or meeting the requirements to be centered even if you don't have monk levels.

unbongwah
05-04-2017, 09:19 AM
With only 8 monk levels, you won't have the DCs for monk abilities.
Not necessarily: With at least 12 ftr lvls, you can take Power Surge + Tactical Mastery; with Know the Angles as well you gain +12 DCs which almost offsets the DC loss from not being pure monk w/Shintao capstone. If you take the other two ftr tactics feats plus Kensei bonuses (+9 total), you should come out ahead.

Which is a roundabout way of saying the OP can just swipe Sam's build (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/480427-BamBam-with-Sam-A-Jade-Striking-Kensai-with-100-Offhand). ;)

CThruTheEgo
05-04-2017, 09:49 AM
Not necessarily: With at least 12 ftr lvls, you can take Power Surge + Tactical Mastery; with Know the Angles as well you gain +12 DCs which almost offsets the DC loss from not being pure monk w/Shintao capstone. If you take the other two ftr tactics feats plus Kensei bonuses (+9 total), you should come out ahead.

Which is a roundabout way of saying the OP can just swipe Sam's build (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/480427-BamBam-with-Sam-A-Jade-Striking-Kensai-with-100-Offhand). ;)

Great points. I stand corrected.

I've not seen that build before either. Very interesting.