PDA

View Full Version : "Best" destiny for a pure barb

AnEvenNewerNoob
08-09-2016, 01:57 PM
Just now leveling up my barbs EDs, seems like LD is the best DPS? Fury seems sort of lackluster.

What are your thoughts on the best destiny for a pure barb? (THF, cleaving, etc etc, you know, typical average barb)

unbongwah
08-09-2016, 02:17 PM
LD is definitely best for sustained DPS once you get the hang of maintaining Blitz. FotW is all about the burst DPS, IMO, in particular combining Adrenaline with special attacks like Slaughter and Seeker's Strike. Crusader offers a nice combo of "melee DPS + heals" (Sacred Ground) for times when Blood Strength alone is insufficient (EDIT you can use Consecration while Raged but not SLAs like Rejuvenation Cocoon); but eventually you'll have enough Fate Pts to Twist Consecration + Sacred Ground into LD like Zoda (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/453857-Zoda-Pure-Zergbarian).

UurlockYgmeov
08-09-2016, 03:03 PM
^^^ good break down, except don't forget US (Unyielding Sentinel) - for pure survivability - and doesn't it have a SLA that works when raged?

jscott457
08-09-2016, 04:29 PM
Just now leveling up my barbs EDs, seems like LD is the best DPS? Fury seems sort of lackluster.

What are your thoughts on the best destiny for a pure barb? (THF, cleaving, etc etc, you know, typical average barb)

This might depend a little on what kind of "Typical Average Barb" You are. If you have T5 Ravager and feel like that is enough healing, I definitely think LD is the best for DPS and ease of playing the game. If your healing might still need some help, I have found crusader quite enjoyable and the core "No Remorse" ability goes a long way to help healing in EE content, along with sacred ground. I've never played with sentinel on a barbarian, but if you find yourself dying often it might be worth a shot.

QuantumFX
08-09-2016, 05:02 PM
You should play around with the three destinies suggested here. (Perhaps it can be your excuse to rack up some eTRs.) A lot of which destiny is “Best” can be affected by what kind of player you are and how you play your character.

unbongwah
08-09-2016, 05:09 PM
^^^ good break down, except don't forget US (Unyielding Sentinel) - for pure survivability - and doesn't it have a SLA that works when raged?
As a general rule, if you can use metamagics with it, you can't use it while Raged; Renewal and Rejuv Cocoon work with Empower Heal, so they don't work while Raged. :( OTOH, Consecration, Divine Might, and Know the Angles are examples of abilities which consume SPs and can be used while Raged. You might also be able to take Healing Hands from US and use LoHs on a pure barb; I've honestly never tried that before.

Enoach
08-09-2016, 05:17 PM
LD especially shines when you have Cleaves.

I do agree DC does provide a healing option while Raged.

FotW works well for bursts, but also has the Knockdown on a natural 20.

AnEvenNewerNoob
08-10-2016, 08:50 AM
LD especially shines when you have Cleaves.

I do agree DC does provide a healing option while Raged.

FotW works well for bursts, but also has the Knockdown on a natural 20.

HEAVY CLEAVING! Between Supreme, Great Cleave, Cleave, Lay Waste I think I might cleave more than regular attack! And since cleaves reset the momentum swing cooldown, which resets lay waste........it's seemed like the synergy there was pretty stellar. I've gotten into some really good rhythms with those attacks cycling.

This might depend a little on what kind of "Typical Average Barb" You are. If you have T5 Ravager and feel like that is enough healing, I definitely think LD is the best for DPS and ease of playing the game. If your healing might still need some help, I have found crusader quite enjoyable and the core "No Remorse" ability goes a long way to help healing in EE content, along with sacred ground. I've never played with sentinel on a barbarian, but if you find yourself dying often it might be worth a shot.

Generally the healing from ravager is enough, made efforts to get some decent healing amp. Ocassionally I twist in healing spring and hit it b4 raging but not that often.

Some interesting ideas for twists. I had never even considered consecration but that seems like it could be interesting if I can get a few more sp.

I appreciate all the feedback guys. Some good stuff!

zwiebelring
08-10-2016, 10:11 AM

US :D. No, not as main destiny, but the hp could be useful. Else LD or Fury. I favor LD for universal defense and offense options.

adrian69
08-11-2016, 08:10 PM
People want to include US, but it's only good if you're a 28 or 32 build and you don't know the game well and are afraid to group. Otherwise, it'll be slow going. Don't get me wrong, I don't disprove of it, but I feel DC is a must better destiny for a barbarian as a next step up or for TWF. FotW is ok, but is better for rangers and mechanics. However, LD, as stated, provides the best DPS, but takes some experience to master using in it elite difficulties when soloing.

So.
Unyielding Sentinal--

Will provide you very minor healing options while raged.
Will give you some HP buffs on a class that doesn't really need it.
Bonus to Saves
Will not add to damage

Divine Crusader

Arguably 2nd to LD in Damage.
Most survivalbe melee DPS destiny (Consecrated Ground+Heal for CR(x2)+Hamp per kill)
Has Zeal (+50 Melee Power and Double Strike every 5 minutes)
Aura of Purification which is pretty awesome
Some PRR and Immunities and Resistances
Nice Ok Cleave vs Evil

Fury of the Wild

Some Healing
Adrenaline: +12 Threat +x400% dmg clicky with 7 uses returning on Vorpal
Heroic Moment: Adrenaline for 30 seconds. Attacks are adrenalized every 3 seconds (Hard to time special attacks though)
Dmg vs Helpless+30%
Some extra damage
Unreliable Healing Option
+9% GBs and GB Damage
Some Spell Resistance
+100 HP.

Legendary Dreadnaught

Blitz- Up to 70 Melee Power and 30 PRR
+6 crit damage (Min 36 on x6 Multiplier+gear, etc)
More DCs
More ABs
+5 damage
Some Defensive Clickies
Ability to add Greater Haste or Damage Boosts
Free Stun for Dwarven Style Weapons

I stayed between LD and DC for the 1.5 years I ran my main as a barbarian, but you got to do your own thing and whatever makes it fun for you.

TBot1234
09-09-2016, 01:40 PM
People want to include US, but it's only good if you're a 28 or 32 build and you don't know the game well and are afraid to group. Otherwise, it'll be slow going. Don't get me wrong, I don't disprove of it, but I feel DC is a must better destiny for a barbarian as a next step up or for TWF. FotW is ok, but is better for rangers and mechanics. However, LD, as stated, provides the best DPS, but takes some experience to master using in it elite difficulties when soloing.

So....

Good info, thanks to you and other for posting these suggestions. Feel like I'm just about ready to Pimp My Barb! :)