PDA

View Full Version : Tainted Scholar - Penetrating Blast - Damage Die question

Xyy
06-22-2015, 02:27 PM
Regarding the extra damage die for Tainted Scholar - Penetrating Blast: Is this die added whether or not the stance is active? The phrasing makes it sound like it might be. At level 8, 1 die should be noticeable. I did some minimal testing and it was inconclusive. Took some samples before adding and after adding (then with/without stance active). Samples between all showed little variance.At early heroic levels, 1 die would be worth 2 AP. Maybe not so much in epic. Not sure the if 2 AP is worth a placebo effect or not.

Cyprine
06-22-2015, 05:36 PM
most likely: the die is added while in that stance (the same way a die is removed while in chain stance).

HuneyMunster
06-22-2015, 05:44 PM
most likely: the die is added while in that stance (the same way a die is removed while in chain stance).

But, Eldritch Blast Shape: Chain: description says "While active you have -1 Eldritch Blast Pact damage die"

While, Penetrating Blast says "You gain +1d6 base Eldritch Blast damage"

This implies that you get the extra die whether its active or not, but wouldn't surprise me either way.

Xyy
06-22-2015, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Interesting that I didn't see any improvement even when in stance.

Red_Knight
06-22-2015, 11:09 PM
Not that an improvement is always going to be immediately obvious. 4 to 24 damage being added (assuming 300 spell power) is kinda significant. But may not always be visible.

Xyy
06-23-2015, 08:16 AM
Not that an improvement is always going to be immediately obvious. 4 to 24 damage being added (assuming 300 spell power) is kinda significant. But may not always be visible.At level 8, adding 1 die should be observable if not easily noticed. The die added at level 9 was. And... unfortunately, my relevant spell power was not quite to 300 when I tested.

Vargouille
06-23-2015, 09:32 AM
Regarding the extra damage die for Tainted Scholar - Penetrating Blast: Is this die added whether or not the stance is active?

This is only added while the stance is active. We'll look into clarifying the text. Thanks for the feedback.

Xyy
06-23-2015, 09:41 AM
This is only added while the stance is active. We'll look into clarifying the text. Thanks for the feedback.Thanks for the official response. Very much appreciated.

Kerthyn
06-23-2015, 11:14 AM
Another question about penetrating blast. What boosts its damage? I'd assume nothing or is it still based on force?

HuneyMunster
06-23-2015, 11:50 AM
Another question about penetrating blast. What boosts its damage? I'd assume nothing or is it still based on force?

I would think force spell power does similar to how it boost Blade Barriers (Slash) and Cometfall (Bludge). I also think Spike Growth (Pierce) and Wild Shots (Pierce) also boosted by force, but not certain on that as not used them in a long time.

Steve_Howe
06-23-2015, 11:52 AM

Penetrating Blast itself boosts the damage by 10%. Force spellpower also boosts the Force component of Eldritch Blast. The Pact damage component is only boosted by the appropriate elemental spellpower.

PermaBanned
06-23-2015, 12:26 PM

Yes, boosted by Force (Impulse/Kinetic Lore) items etc.

Edit: personally though fwiw: I've found that on my Great Old One w/Tainted Scholar & Soul Eater trying to equip three (Force, Alignment, Acid) Spellpower & Lore varieties to be a gearing nightmare so I just stick with Utterdark - that way I only need Acid & Alignment (Rock Boots & Caster stick).

Kerthyn
06-23-2015, 12:39 PM

Edit: personally though fwiw: I've found that on my Great Old One w/Tainted Scholar & Soul Eater trying to equip three (Force, Alignment, Acid) Spellpower & Lore varieties to be a gearing nightmare so I just stick with Utterdark - that way I only need Acid & Alignment (Rock Boots & Caster stick).

Thanks.

Yup i do the same. Much easier gear wise with Utterdark always on.

Red_Knight
06-23-2015, 01:19 PM
At level 8, adding 1 die should be observable if not easily noticed. The die added at level 9 was. And... unfortunately, my relevant spell power was not quite to 300 when I tested.

Yeah, it can be. Unless of course you get a string of bad luck with low to average rolls. On lam I was barely noticing damage increases as I leveled. After getting multiple of them I did notice, but any single die addition was easy to miss. On live however I am immediately noticing an improvement each time I get another die of damage.

This is only added while the stance is active. We'll look into clarifying the text. Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for the clarification. This is a good thing to know.

Red_Knight
06-23-2015, 01:23 PM

Thanks.

Yup i do the same. Much easier gear wise with Utterdark always on.

Why not use a staff instead of a one handed then? I'm always finding staves that boost several aspects. My fav so far are ones that boost acid/force and then have either Potency for everything else or Lore for something I'm dealing. If I can't get that I typically run with two scepters equipped.

PermaBanned
06-23-2015, 02:02 PM
Why not use a staff instead of a one handed then? I'm always finding staves that boost several aspects. My fav so far are ones that boost acid/force and then have either Potency for everything else or Lore for something I'm dealing. If I can't get that I typically run with two scepters equipped.Starting at 12 I use Fanion (http://m.ddowiki.com/page/Item:Fanion), and at 26 I'll be using the Libram (http://m.ddowiki.com/page/Item:Libram_of_Silver_Magic), so boots & sticks for me until I find better ;)

Red_Knight
06-23-2015, 02:58 PM
That's a very good reason. Didn't know bout the shield. My char who's working on the shield... can never get any pieces of it. Or anything else from the area. I had to buy the tapestry fragments to get my helm.

Haunted Halls huh? Maybe I should hold off on reincarnating till I run that a few times? My monk's next life is gonna be as a warlock after all.

Xerio
06-24-2015, 11:05 AM
The orb (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Golden_Orb_of_Death_(Level_7)) from ToEE is really nice too with the two aug slots you can slot two spell powers on it, I've got one set up for lv 8, 12 and 16 with tiered spell power augments. Using green steel at 12 for acid and switching to rock boots at 13. I've force and radiance slotted in the orb though I usually use utterdark it's nice to have the option.

Edit: Link