PDA

View Full Version : Ranger pally build request

Pehtis
03-06-2015, 08:27 PM
What is the best level split for twf ranger/pally?

Initially 2 pally gives access to the PRR boost as well as other minor benefits. Then I thought perhaps more is better even if it meant giving up tempest core 4? If so how much more?

Build advice or links would be appreciated.

unbongwah
03-06-2015, 08:47 PM
Initially 2 pally gives access to the PRR boost as well as other minor benefits.
Pal 2 provides Div Grace (adds CHA bonus to saves); pal 3 provides access to lvl 3 core enhs, inc. defensive stance (which is what provides PRR boost, among other things); pal 4 provides lvl 1 spells and Turn Undead, which is necessary to use Div Might (you can also twist Bane of Undeath in epic lvls, but I prefer not to have to sacrifice a Twist slot for it).

Right now I think the best splits for rgr / pally is either rgr 5 / pal 15 for Zeal+Holy Sword+Dance of Death (see my drow pally thread); or rgr 15 / pal 4 / ftr 1 like Noyellowbar (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/430998-Noyellowbar-a-100-monk-free-U19-Build-(15Ranger-4Paladin-1Fighter)) (DPS is not quite as good, but extra feats inc. full archery and two more FEs gives you a bit more versatility), depending on whether you want to be majority-rgr or majority-pally.

Pehtis
03-06-2015, 09:33 PM
Pal 2 provides Div Grace (adds CHA bonus to saves); pal 3 provides access to lvl 3 core enhs, inc. defensive stance (which is what provides PRR boost, among other things); pal 4 provides lvl 1 spells and Turn Undead, which is necessary to use Div Might (you can also twist Bane of Undeath in epic lvls, but I prefer not to have to sacrifice a Twist slot for it).

Right now I think the best splits for rgr / pally is either rgr 5 / pal 15 for Zeal+Holy Sword+Dance of Death (see my drow pally thread); or rgr 15 / pal 4 / ftr 1 like Noyellowbar (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/430998-Noyellowbar-a-100-monk-free-U19-Build-(15Ranger-4Paladin-1Fighter)) (DPS is not quite as good, but extra feats inc. full archery and two more FEs gives you a bit more versatility), depending on whether you want to be majority-rgr or majority-pally.

Whoops on 2 pally lvl instead of 3. Thanks for the catch. Wanted something to add some extra PRR/MRR to my light armor wearing tempest for extra survivability when hit. Thanks for the feedback.

Retrodark
03-07-2015, 11:57 AM
Whoops on 2 pally lvl instead of 3. Thanks for the catch. Wanted something to add some extra PRR/MRR to my light armor wearing tempest for extra survivability when hit. Thanks for the feedback.

I think a really good option would be r15/p4/1a tempest int build in Heavy armor, great saves, I like to have trapping option. See the r15/f4/a1 version i put in the totally bass ackward thread post 56. I had wished i made mine paladin instead of fighter. The build has great survival and decent melee crits in the 4k range possible. ..2k possible, with some ranged mainly for building blitz.

Difference will pally version would be to remove 3 feats (easy. Cleave, ic piercing, and epic will saves). You gain god-like saves and lay on hands and you need to be lawful good. Otherwise the same.

Blackheartox
03-07-2015, 12:08 PM
I think a really good option would be r15/p4/1a tempest int build in Heavy armor, great saves, I like to have trapping option. See the r15/f4/a1 version i put in the totally bass ackward thread post 56. I had wished i made mine paladin instead of fighter. The build has great survival and decent melee crits in the 4k range possible. ..2k possible, with some ranged mainly for building blitz.

Difference will pally version would be to remove 3 feats (easy. Cleave, ic piercing, and epic will saves). You gain god-like saves and lay on hands and you need to be lawful good. Otherwise the same.

But if its int based, then you really dont need 4 palie levels and can go with 3 instead unless you want stance speed upgrade which i dont think you want since you will be short ap due to spending it on killer/dod/kta anyways.
I would take rogue 2 prolly if you really want traping since that way you at least get sneak damage and you shouldnt be feat starved on that build anyways

Retrodark
03-08-2015, 09:55 PM
But if its int based, then you really dont need 4 palie levels and can go with 3 instead unless you want stance speed upgrade which i dont think you want since you will be short ap due to spending it on killer/dod/kta anyways.
I would take rogue 2 prolly if you really want traping since that way you at least get sneak damage and you shouldnt be feat starved on that build anyways

Well my original build here (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/454904-Totally-Bass-Ackwards-An-int-based-heavy-armored-TWF-pure-tempest-ranger/page2)(post 56) had 4 fighter (3 extra feats). Because 2 arti and 16 ranger gave me nothing, I probably still would have gone 4 pally. I went arti over rogue because you get a bigger SP pool (bonus + use int for sp), enchant weapon buff, pet for pulling levers (for soloing), and Arti gives +2 will saves at 1st lvl (which was my lowest overall save) vs. +2 reflex for rogue.

I only went to t3 as defender to get +3 saves, +15 PRR/MRR and +6 con.

Also lvl 1 rogue gets the same sneak attack (1d6) as lvl 2 rogue unless I put extra points into assassin and like you said very tight on APs. Pali 4 gives you access to 20 spell points :). Lvl 2 rogue really doesn't give me anything. +1 reflex vs. +1 fort save? I can post or PM the pali version if anyone cares. I think it would be a strong non-exploit, non-flavor of the month build.

Blackheartox
03-09-2015, 01:37 AM
Well my original build here (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/454904-Totally-Bass-Ackwards-An-int-based-heavy-armored-TWF-pure-tempest-ranger/page2)(post 56) had 4 fighter (3 extra feats). Because 2 arti and 16 ranger gave me nothing, I probably still would have gone 4 pally. I went arti over rogue because you get a bigger SP pool (bonus + use int for sp), enchant weapon buff, pet for pulling levers (for soloing), and Arti gives +2 will saves at 1st lvl (which was my lowest overall save) vs. +2 reflex for rogue.

I only went to t3 as defender to get +3 saves, +15 PRR/MRR and +6 con.

Also lvl 1 rogue gets the same sneak attack (1d6) as lvl 2 rogue unless I put extra points into assassin and like you said very tight on APs. Pali 4 gives you access to 20 spell points :). Lvl 2 rogue really doesn't give me anything. +1 reflex vs. +1 fort save? I can post or PM the pali version if anyone cares. I think it would be a strong non-exploit, non-flavor of the month build.
Peronally i think that evvery kta build is potent now.
Even shuri int dex based builds can be fun now

All i can say is go for it, as long as its fun, it gets ratehr boring just to play fotm builds and its nice to gimp yourself from time to time.
Should see what im doing in game and how im suggesting people to play barbs, rather funny and entirely different from current fotm barbs xD
If you see me on on fumi pop me a tell il share my vision with ya, prolly imo the best dps barb setup atm attainable and i asked some people to do that setup and try to speed run some stuff /i cant since im now on a coworkers paltop and i am happy enough when im able to log in