PDA

View Full Version : Cleric and Favored Soul Life question

salmag
02-23-2015, 09:09 AM
I am HTRing and am going to run my cleric followed by my favored soul lives.

I have a caster cleric (favored soul) in mind.

Which spells get which metas? I figure Heighten, Empower Heal, Maximise, in particular.

Which Light or Dark SLAs are worth taking?

Which spells are better off scrolled?

I'm sorry if these questions are in other threads, I don't have time to do an active search (I am at work right now).

Thank you.

Doutrinador
02-23-2015, 12:01 PM

Which spells get which metas? I figure Heighten, Empower Heal, Maximise, in particular.

I'm sorry if these questions are in other threads, I don't have time to do an active search (I am at work right now).

Thank you.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Favored_Soul_spells

axel15810
02-23-2015, 09:33 PM

Definitely do cleric first as the favored soul pass is coming at some point. Caster clerics are in my opinion flat out better than caster favored souls at the moment because of the divine disciple tree.

It varies a lot, you'll have to check the ddowiki for each spell.

A lot of them are in cores so you have to take most anyway to get to the higher ones. Just play around with them to see which you prefer. Holy smite is very useful early and Sunburst is probably the best SLA.

If you go cleric you won't have to scroll much of anything since they get so many spell slots and there's not a huge number of useful divine spells. I don't feel a need to scroll out any divine spells on my cleric. You'll want to carry around heal, raise dead and resurrection scrolls for when you need to save or are out of spellpoints though.

Chette
02-24-2015, 11:18 AM
Empower is generally better than empower heal, as there's plenty of healing options in the game. You shouldn't need empower healing for your heal spell and empower will work on your offensive spells. Most of your damage spells will use quicken, maximize, and empower. Some will use heighten. All of your DC spells will use heighten. So you will likely want quicken, empower, heighten, and maximize.

Light side SLAs all are good except the tier 5 (flame strike) which is crappy because of slow casting time. The tier 4 (holy smite) is quite nice for blinding mobs. The dark side SLAs are not quite as good, particularly as the tier 1 and 4 have distance limitations. Take all of the core abilities regardless of which side you take, and then you will get all spells for both if you take the final level 20 core. Light and dark are both powerful. I tend to prefer light side because I prefer evocation focus for boosting soundburst, and light damage for boosting divine wrath (that won't matter if you're TRing again at 20 though). It will also boost your blade barrier DC, which you will likely use quite a bit for heroic leveling. Dark side will net you very powerful necro DCs, which are also very handy.

You will not really scroll any spells, except maybe heal. Scrolling arcane spells though like greater heroism and fire shield is handy if you have sufficient UMD.

EllisDee37
02-24-2015, 11:26 AM
For cleric, I recommend going lightside through level 10, then on your way to the trainer to take level 11 reset the tree and switch to the darkside. This gives you the yummy light SLAs until you get blade barrier, then you get the awesome necrotic ray / enervation combo to pair with blade barrier, slay living and destruction.

There's a complete build layout linked in my signature.

salmag
02-24-2015, 02:34 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions.

I'm going with a build very similar to your necro cleric, ellisdee37.

axel15810
02-24-2015, 05:19 PM
Empower is generally better than empower heal, as there's plenty of healing options in the game. You shouldn't need empower healing for your heal spell and empower will work on your offensive spells. Most of your damage spells will use quicken, maximize, and empower. Some will use heighten. All of your DC spells will use heighten. So you will likely want quicken, empower, heighten, and maximize.

I disagree with this somewhat. Depends if you're going for self-healing only or for party healing. And depends on if you plan on taking aura.

If you're taking tier 5 radiant servant you'll definitely want empower healing since it's the only metamagic that can be applied to boost cleric radiant aura.

Also there's lots of other spells it can be applied to to boost your healing power. It's also the most SP efficient metamagic for boosting healing spells/abilities and the 4th core of the radiant servant tree makes the feat apply +100 positive spellpower instead of +75 so it's even more efficient/powerful.

But yeah if you're going tier 5 divine disciple you might be OK with empower instead if you can't fit in or don't want to take both.