PDA

View Full Version : Gen Con 2015 (July 30-Aug 2) Friday night Gathering for Buffs™

cdbd3rd
01-07-2015, 11:34 AM
It's that time of year again to start thinking about Gen Con. Couple weeks til badge pre-reg, but is never too early to mark your calendars for that vacation time request. :cool:

http://www.gencon.com/

cdbd3rd
01-08-2015, 05:46 AM
Housing opens the 25th.

Remember last year and how most Housing Block rooms were gone almost immediately? Well, they've added some new rules/conditions to the downtown housing reservations.

http://www.gencon.com/attend/housing_travel

Two main changes: Downtown hotels require a 3-night stay now, and a 1-night deposit will be charged to our CC now some time in July.

cdbd3rd
01-14-2015, 05:51 AM
... 4-Day Badges will increase year-over-year by $10, while single-day badge prices will rise by $5.

A 4-Day Gen Con 2015 Badge now will cost $80 during Badge Pre-Registration, which begins on January 23.

$80... :eek: I dunno.
Since they've been having record attendances last couple years, I just can't see the justification for a price hike.

Luckily, no badge is required for our Gathering. :D

Draculetta
02-23-2015, 08:31 PM
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread! as I'll be at Gencon!

cdbd3rd
03-26-2015, 10:39 PM
*Watching Indiana news for future of Gen Con.*

I'm sure it's solid this year, but depending on some political outcomes, future years may be in for some changes.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2015/03/24/gen-con-threatens-move-convention-gov-mike-pence-signs-religious-freedom-bill/70393474/

Don't discuss the political stuff here. Am just pointing this out as it applies to the future of the Con.

Draculetta
03-26-2015, 11:13 PM
I live in Indiana and Governor Pence did indeed sign this bill today..

Will be interesting to see how Gen con reacts, if they do indeed do what they said they would in the letter then sent... It will be a pretty big blow to the economy of Indy and Indiana as a whole.. and a very sad day as well..

If anyone wants to read the letter they sent, I have it posted over an article I wrote for DDO Players.. (http://ddoplayers.com/2015/03/25/gen-con-sends-letter-to-indiana-governor/)

On the plus side Gen Con has a contract with the convention center till 2020

TeacherSyn
03-31-2015, 08:55 AM
I live in Indiana and Governor Pence did indeed sign this bill today..

Will be interesting to see how Gen con reacts, if they do indeed do what they said they would in the letter then sent... It will be a pretty big blow to the economy of Indy and Indiana as a whole.. and a very sad day as well..

If anyone wants to read the letter they sent, I have it posted over an article I wrote for DDO Players.. (http://ddoplayers.com/2015/03/25/gen-con-sends-letter-to-indiana-governor/)

On the plus side Gen Con has a contract with the convention center till 2020

I live in Indianapolis.

Gen Con is being as reactionary as many other people who don't understand how that law could work for the very, very few people who might have need of it. When advocacy groups and the poor-news realms of social media spread a false idea, anyone will believe anything.

Thankfully, this law isn't what others claim it is, or things like Gen Con would have a legitimate gripe.

Our state traditionally has a pretty strong government, often no matter what party is in control at the time (fiscal conservatives, social moderates). And that new law is not much different from those in 19 other states and the Federal version, signed in 1993. In short, the issue is a non sequitur to gaming or any businesses and players who want to enjoy Gen Con as usual.

The law is actually having an opposite effect because of the misinformation as some businesses are shouting that they're "open for business"...as if any solvent business wasn't open. You'd have to turn away customers for a very, very good reason. Besides, the law is designed to be a check against the government's existing laws that may discriminate against the business's religious rights, not the other way around. Before that law can be used, a lot of other nasty legal things would have to happen (which includes the business initially loosing).

Like trying to solo-raid "Fire on Thunderpeak," a business would need a lot of prep and a strong conviction to win against mobs like we've seen here.

Fear not. Come and play as usual. Gen Con's here because Indy's the largest and cheapest place in the country to host something of this size.

Krysta_Shadowvol
04-05-2015, 09:07 PM
It's that time of year again to start thinking about Gen Con. Couple weeks til badge pre-reg, but is never too early to mark your calendars for that vacation time request. :cool:

http://www.gencon.com/

I will be there and hopefully with a working cell phone and no scheduling conflicts!

Draculetta
05-11-2015, 03:12 PM
Any updates on this???

Also, the Event Listing is now Live - https://www.gencon.com/events/find

cdbd3rd
05-11-2015, 03:50 PM
Any updates on this???

Also, the Event Listing is now Live - https://www.gencon.com/events/find

That's about it, along with event registration starting this Sunday (17th) at noon Eastern.

Has just been the quiet time waiting for Gen Con info to start rolling out. :)

cdbd3rd
06-16-2015, 04:32 AM
I could *almost* see myself standing in the insanely long line waiting for an autograph this year. ...almost.

Gen Con Names Marina Sirtis as Media Guest of Honor

http://www.gencon.com/experience/mediagohmarinasirtis

:)

Krysta_Shadowvol
07-17-2015, 07:08 PM
Was just popping on to see if there was any more news on the when and where of this if it is still happening this year? If it is going to be Friday night that it is yet another year I will not be free until after 11:00 pm due to other commitments. UGH!

cdbd3rd
07-18-2015, 05:55 AM
Was just popping on to see if there was any more news on the when and where of this if it is still happening this year? If it is going to be Friday night that it is yet another year I will not be free until after 11:00 pm due to other commitments. UGH!

As we left it, we'll try to confiscate a corner of the Sevrin bar. Eventually, that back little area with the table clears and we can probably acquisition that.

But as all years, the intent is to be there til they kick us out, so roll by after your 11:00 event. Will just have a head start on ya. :p

cdbd3rd
07-28-2015, 01:04 PM
One more day and a wake-up!

...except for those starting early and planning on being there for the opening ceremonies tomorrow. :p

Looking back on previous years, it's been a very quiet thread this year.

Cordovan
07-28-2015, 09:02 PM
Good luck to everyone attending Gen Con this year! Wish I could be there. :( Will be there in spirit. Have fun, everyone, and we'll be thinking about ya.

Braegan
07-28-2015, 09:33 PM
One more day and a wake-up!

...except for those starting early and planning on being there for the opening ceremonies tomorrow. :p

Looking back on previous years, it's been a very quiet thread this year.

I have never been to Gen Con.

It is on my bucket list of things to do and this year just got away from me time wise. Have fun and am hoping next year I can make it that way. :)

Shfty_1
07-29-2015, 06:00 PM
Are we ever going to get a legit DDO presence? Does turbine hate us that much? Kinda cool to see the few folks that do show up , but **** Turbine.

cdbd3rd
07-30-2015, 04:30 AM
Are we ever going to get a legit DDO presence? Does turbine hate us that much? Kinda cool to see the few folks that do show up , but **** Turbine.

Just some FYI so ya know where to direct your angst:

When Turbine was just Turbine, we had a good solid backing from the Powers. In fact, the original Gatherings were officially sponsored by Turbine and included all 3 Turbine games (DDO/LOTRO/AC). It was later after the big corps took over (Atari/WB) that the budget no longer allowed for any 'official' backing. **

Now for years even after that, some of the devs & CSRs took their PERSONAL time to show show up to socialize and throw us a few goodies from behind the screens.

**Meaning no budget for our gatherings, nor even for a Gen Con presence. The budget was redirected for Pax. :(

TeacherSyn
07-30-2015, 05:18 PM
I hope to drop in Friday evening. Same Severin bar at the Omni Hotel? What's the general gathering time?

I live in Indy, which makes for the best accommodations you can get without paying. :)

Shfty_1
07-30-2015, 05:38 PM
Not a matter of angst Ced. Been There last couple of years Ive seen Tolera and her husband. Great folks. Just trying to figure outy why we get no love. We pay just like the other games. Just would be nice to know were being represented/ heard i guess. Our folks ( DDO ) do a great job even using their own time to come, and i appreciate it. And 9ish is when i try and get there Syn. Some earlier some later

Uska
07-30-2015, 06:19 PM
If your at Gencon go say high to Jolly and Barbara for me and try out Hackmaster and the docks of chaos

cdbd3rd
07-30-2015, 11:05 PM
I hope to drop in Friday evening. Same Severin bar at the Omni Hotel? What's the general gathering time?

I live in Indy, which makes for the best accommodations you can get without paying. :)

Yep, the Sevrin bar is the primary target.
I usually get there between 8 & 9 to grab a corner and start gathering space.

Cordovan
07-31-2015, 10:52 AM
Have fun tonight!

TeacherSyn
07-31-2015, 03:10 PM
Have fun tonight!

I plan to Wang Chung tonight!

#oldfart

TeacherSyn
07-31-2015, 03:15 PM
Just a warning to anyone driving in or thinking of moving their cars. In addition to GenCon itself around the Convention Center, there's an concert event in Lucas Oil Stadium, too, making parking within 4 blocks just plain nuts.

Experience tells me to look to street parking (Indy now charges until 9 PM on their meters, including Saturday) to the north and east of the Convention Center area. That means a walk as I would park north of Washington Ave (east-west) and east of Illinois St.

Cocomajobo
07-31-2015, 03:57 PM
You don't know me but I'll be there! Cordovan may or may not have handed me some Turbine Point cards to give out. ;)

TeacherSyn
07-31-2015, 08:30 PM
I'm so sorry I can't make it there (worse excuse since I live so close). Put my head down after a long road trip and never could get up. Real life bites!

Hope you're having the best time tonight, all.

Draculetta
08-02-2015, 06:42 PM
had an event.. and did not even know this was nailed down till the next day.. so hope every had fun

cdbd3rd
08-03-2015, 08:04 AM
Well, was a rather subdued gathering this year. Two** of us held the fort til Coco & friend got there. Lessah and Clanky made a run-by showing before hurrying off to a scheduled event. Krysta & hub** showed up about 11ish and that was full roster of the 2015 Gathering.

Was good meeting Coco of the QA team and get a little insight on what that job entails. Of course we tried asking a few prying questions, but he held fast on the "good stuff". :p

So passed 2015.

**Sorry, cannot recall forum handles. :o