PDA

View Full Version : Ranger with wolf pet?

Knight_Marshal
10-29-2014, 05:22 PM
Since the video card in my computer crashed and burned, I have not been able to play while I wait for the new one, so I have been thinking about how to revamp my characters to have different play styles.

I have no character that is pure ranged so I thought about the ranger. Then it occurred to me that unlike D&D, the ranger doesn't get his animal companion. I thought, "Hey! I could grab the one from druid!"

Looking at druid, I see that the wolf levels up based on the druid class levels. :(
So I ask:
Is there a 'magic' breakdown level wise for a ranger/druid to get the best in archery and still have enough levels left over for druid to have a pet that can make it to level 20?

Livmo
10-29-2014, 05:28 PM
Since the video card in my computer crashed and burned, I have not been able to play while I wait for the new one, so I have been thinking about how to revamp my characters to have different play styles.

I have no character that is pure ranged so I thought about the ranger. Then it occurred to me that unlike D&D, the ranger doesn't get his animal companion. I thought, "Hey! I could grab the one from druid!"

Looking at druid, I see that the wolf levels up based on the druid class levels. :(
So I ask:
Is there a 'magic' breakdown level wise for a ranger/druid to get the best in archery and still have enough levels left over for druid to have a pet that can make it to level 20?

In my opinion the druid wolf is not as robust as the arty dog. However, multi-classing will make the arty dog or druid wolf weaker. Of course pure arty or druid will have the strongest pet. Basically if you just need spare hand I would do 1 level druid. But that is my opinion based on how I play.

I do know of a guildie that would do 6 levels arty/druid to suit his tastes regarding his use of the pet. I prefer pure builds myself.

Grailhawk
Artificer 20.

If you don't like that then you could try to do a Druid 20 with all the Ranged Feat but it wont be great but probably will be viable.

That said Pets really aren't that good in this game (well at least they worn't before U23 Hireling changes and I doubt they fixed them but you never know).

Inoukchuk

So I ask:

Your first error is assuming that a pet will be useful under any circumstances until level 20. Your only hope for that is to be pure druid (assume you want a fleshy wolf).

That said, 11 ranger levels gives you everything ranger will give you for archery (which is about 80% of what you want/need). Taking just 6 ranger levels you lose only improved precise shot, but still get manyshot for free.

That said ranger and druid have very little synergy and pets are very nearly useless, so I can't do anything but recommend against this multiclass build.

Uska
10-29-2014, 05:32 PM
first they gave ranger both twf and range feats to make up for pet second a ranger pet would be half the str of a druid one.

multiclassing would give you that same weakening of an already weak thing.

unbongwah
10-30-2014, 02:19 PM
Not really. If you do a lightly-splashed druid build to keep your pet as powerful as possible (e.g., druid 18 / rgr 2), you miss out on higher-lvl rgr goodies; you also miss the opportunity to be a "Drunkcher," i.e., monk 6+ / druid archer w/10K Stars and Manyshot. Whereas if you do a heavily-MC ranger / druid hybrid, you take an already weak pet and reduce them to "lever puller."

Lonnbeimnech
10-30-2014, 02:24 PM
That said ranger and druid have very little synergy
For an archer build thats true. For a winter wolf form build, it works really really well.

Knight_Marshal
11-02-2014, 06:47 AM
How about an Elven druid with the Elven AA tree with maybe a few levels of rogue or maybe ranger or fighter to help with feats?