PDA

View Full Version : Melee FvS Build with New Update

Panzermeyer
10-08-2014, 12:44 PM
Hey All you FvS players and builders out there. I am looking for some suggestions. I have a toon that is a melee build that I find that I am just not having a ton of fun playing, he just is not geared out and very survivable on his own.

After having played a few FvS lives on another toon I had the thought of swapping him to a melee FvS Build.

I definitely would like to keep him a Melee build to leverage the gear that I do have particularly the weapons and some of the orchard gear that I have picked up. Besides I tend to play casters and so I am looking for a toon that can mix things up for me.

So far his lastest life he has been a THF H-Orc. Previously he was a Dwarf DAxe and Board so I still have a bunch of good DAxes that I can leverage.

So I could see going THF, or Single Weapon Fighting with a DAxe, MAYBE DAxe and Shield again, but not sure how keen on that I am. The Single Weapon Fighting with Dwarven Axes and and Orb seems really interesting to me. This would allow me to get some decent casting in with little effort.

For races I am thinking either HOrc if THF. Downside to this is both Cha and Wis take a hit on a class that needs both. Dwarf holds great interest for me, particularly for flavor. And of course I am always a fan of Humans for the extra feat.

I am pretty sure this toon already has used +4 tomes all around. And this would be his third life so 36-pt build.

I would prefer this to be a Heavy Armor build. So would look to build PRR and MRR.

I am keen on 17 levels of Fvs for the wings. 18 would be nice for a 9th level spell (Energy Drain). I would think either 3 levels Fighter for the extra feats (though not sure how useful needing Cleave and Great Cleave are anymore) or 3 levels of Pally.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Zachski
10-13-2014, 08:28 PM
2 levels of fighter would be better than 2 levels of Paladin in this scenario. Not only do you get two more feats, martial feats no less, but you also get access to tower shields, which provide much better PRR and MRR than Heavy Shields.

Other than that, I have no advice.

Lauf
10-14-2014, 06:24 PM
Go for the best of both worlds, 17 fvs 2 pally 1 fighter.
stock up on cha for your saves/sp/divine might
1 level of fighter gives you that tower shield proficiency, access to the +30% melee haste boost enhancement, and an extra feat
2 levels of pally, well, obvious.
I would go for human, having heal amp (especially for a warpriest) and an extra feat are super nice, the extra skill point doesn't hurt either (especially if you're going for a UMD build)
if human, I would consider picking up dragonmark of passage, having ddoor is awesome.
it's not a min-max THF axes damage choice of race for your melee fvs, but it offers a lot more versatility and survivability, and to me that's proven to be more valuable in ddo.

hope this helps

unbongwah
10-14-2014, 07:00 PM
Go for the best of both worlds, 17 fvs 2 pally 1 fighter.
Except then you can't take defensive stance.

Panzermeyer
10-18-2014, 01:20 AM
Except then you can't take defensive stance.

Like what defensive stances are you thinking?

Braegan
10-18-2014, 01:34 AM
Hmm,

Given goals stated, I would go with 17 FvS/3 Fighter.

Extra feats, haste boost, stance for SD for more PRR, tactics if you want them. Could be very nice. Cleaves aren't as useful for feat pre reqs, but they do add a nice cycle to your attack chain with some +w as you use them. Granted it is best with a glancing blow weapon, but even single target it's more DPS.

I could really see a good case scenario as a dwarf with dwarven axes, with a dab of tactics, cleaving away, while enjoying some hefty PRR. Good synergy.

For energy drain ( it is really nice) you can always carry scrolls ( not as good I know, but against a lot of mobs very decent), slot a mabar augment, or maybe make a GS item with enervation guard on it?

Kriogen
10-20-2014, 06:20 AM
War priest is a very feat starved build. You need feats for melee and magic. Thats why you usually splash Fighter2 or Monk2. 2 extra feats.

I hear that Divine Grace (main reason why you see Pal2 splash) will be nerfed.

So:
- FvS18/Fighter2 if you will go with heavy armor as protection
- FvS18/Monk2 if you will go with Evasion/Dodge

I'd go with FvS18. You get wings, 9th level spell and Haste spell from War Priest core enhancement. I mean, if you are into melee thing, you want it. You can get Haste from gear or feat. But that also means one feat less (on a already feat starved build) or you have to dedicate a gear slot. "Gear slots" are also important. You have to gear for survivability (what all do), melee and magic. You are at disadvantage here. Others gear for survivability/melee or survivability/magic, but you have to take care of tree things.

Race:
- Human: an advantage because of extra feat
- Drow: if Monk2, you can be centered with shortswords (Ninja enhancement), shortswords are also religious weapon (FvS enhancements)
- others: dunno, never tried

Your existing gear: skip, ignore. Don't limit yourself with what you have in your bank.
Example: I have a WF Wiz18/Rogue2. Its War Mage (hybrid melee and magic, just like War Priest). Long time ago I got Sword of Shadow. I was nonstop trying to "stuff" that SoS on this char. Hey, I have to, right, it's *the* weapon. I tried and tried until I realised that just cool weapon is not enough. The weapon must also fit the build. In my case (Wiz18/Rog2) quarterstaff is better fit. Much much better. Plus, for every Sword of Shadows theres Sireth.

Drakestor
10-20-2014, 08:26 AM
Here is my build for a melee FVS build. This isn't exactly what you are looking for, but my first attempt at this was with 17 FVS levels for the wings, but the below build works out better for me since I wade into the mobs for some beat down.

PDK is not required, start with human at level 1 if you want, just adjust the human enhancements as desired. B-swords also not required, as long swords work ok as well. Two guildies of mine use this build and are having fun with it. I like this so much that this characters final life will be this once I get done with past lives.

+5 tomes stated, but really not necessary to have fun with the build. Went in last night with an EE von 5 run, works well. Hope this helps.

PDK Fighter/FVS Melee Bastard Sword user, Single Weapon Fighting
12 levels of FVS for quickened heal, 8 Fighter levels
GSWF: Prerequisite: 7 ranks of Balance, Base Attack Bonus +11:
PDK FVS 36 pt build
12 FVS / 8 Fighter with +5 tomes before TR’ing
starting stats: 18 Str, 12 Dex, 16 Con, 8 Int, 8 Wis, 14 Cha, all level ups in STR.
Skills: Balance to 7, Heal, Diplo, jump (take Intimidation instead if you like)
First level Fighter, 12 FVS, rest fighter
Enhancements: 32 in Warpirest to get T5 Divine Power, 31 in Kensei, 17 in PDK to get GH
twists: healing abilities in the different destinies, Consecration is really cool to me.
Not in order below, take as you can.
1 Exotic Wep Bastard sword, Single weapon fighting, Power attack
2: Cleave
3: Weapon Focus Slashing
4: Weapon Specialization Slashing
6: Improved Single Weapon fighting, Stunning Blow
8: Improved critical Slashing
9: Great Cleave
12: Greater Single Weapon Fighting
15: Quicken
18: Greater weapon focus slashing
21: Overwhelming Critical
24: Toughness
26: Perfect Single Weapon Fighting
27: Epic Damage Reduction
28: Perfect Two Weapon fighting

unbongwah
10-20-2014, 08:44 AM
Like what defensive stances are you thinking?
Errr, like the one you get from lvl 3 pal or ftr SD tree that gives you +25 PRR and +3 to saves? Is there anything else you would take a 3-lvl splash?

There was talk about capping Div Grace bonus by the number of pally lvls you have: 2 + (3 * pal lvl) would be the max, so +8 on a pal 2 splash, +11 on a pal 3, etc. +11 to saves & defensive stance is still a pretty potent combo, IMHO; it's just a question of whether that bonus to saves is more important than two extra feats, haste boost, and extra action boost from ftr. Ofc, it's also a question of whether defensive stance is more important than lvl 9 spells.

elcagador
10-20-2014, 12:45 PM
Looking at wiki seems that Stalwart defender stance requires 6 Fighter levels?, while Sacred defender stance requires only 3 Paladin levels.

So If you want to have good PRR, MRR and still get wings and heal mass spell could go Fvs 17/Pal 3, can go Human for the extra feat, heal amp and dmg boost and go THF so can drop ITHF and GTHF feats if needed or go with imp shield mastery dropping thf feats.

Or If want to focus more on meele can drop wings and lvl 9 spells, going Fvs 15/Pal 3/Fighter 2 Or Fvs 15/Pal 4/Fighter 1, The second option gets a bit more saves from divine grace, tier 4 sacred defender abilities but one less feat. That way can try a dwarf in swf with orb and play in crusader/angel.

Or If want to focus on more PRR/MRR and tanking can try a Fvs12/Pal 6/Fighter 2 S&B Human/Dwarf that can use Sacred defender and Vanguard enhancements (also KOTC when fighting undeads), using tower shields with Imp shield mastery and maybe with THF too, haste boost and maybe tactics, pally saves, Crusader/sentinel, etc.

ToastyFred
10-20-2014, 01:46 PM
THF WF (or BF but why? You won't need Communion of Scribing) PURE FvS GREATSWORD USER

Very survivable and does good damage. Warpriest should be where most of your enhancement points go. Divine Crusader should be your ED.

Spend all your stat points in STR and CON only.

unbongwah
10-20-2014, 01:49 PM
Looking at wiki seems that Stalwart defender stance requires 6 Fighter levels?, while Sacred defender stance requires only 3 Paladin levels.
Stalwart defensive stance was also moved to lvl 3; it's in the Release notes (http://ddowiki.com/page/Update_23_Release_Notes#Classes). The wiki page just hasn't been updated yet.

elcagador
10-20-2014, 02:13 PM
Stalwart defensive stance was also moved to lvl 3; it's in the Release notes (http://ddowiki.com/page/Update_23_Release_Notes#Classes). The wiki page just hasn't been updated yet.

Ok thanks for the clarification. So 3 Fighter levels could work too, get 2 extra feats, haste boost, stance but around 11 less saves compared to paladin variant.
So with a 17 Fvs/3 Fighter is another option for wings, heal mass and can have enough feats if want to go Swf with orb or THF or Twf with ameliorating strike, etc.

Panzermeyer
10-20-2014, 04:18 PM
THF WF (or BF but why? You won't need Communion of Scribing) PURE FvS GREATSWORD USER

Very survivable and does good damage. Warpriest should be where most of your enhancement points go. Divine Crusader should be your ED.

Spend all your stat points in STR and CON only.

I know that can be a strong build, but I won't do the robot.

Panzermeyer
10-20-2014, 04:25 PM
War priest is a very feat starved build. You need feats for melee and magic. Thats why you usually splash Fighter2 or Monk2. 2 extra feats.

So:
- FvS18/Fighter2 if you will go with heavy armor as protection
- FvS18/Monk2 if you will go with Evasion/Dodge

I'd go with FvS18. You get wings, 9th level spell and Haste spell from War Priest core enhancement. I mean, if you are into melee thing, you want it. You can get Haste from gear or feat. But that also means one feat less (on a already feat starved build) or you have to dedicate a gear slot. "Gear slots" are also important. You have to gear for survivability (what all do), melee and magic. You are at disadvantage here. Others gear for survivability/melee or survivability/magic, but you have to take care of tree things.

Race:
- Human: an advantage because of extra feat
- Drow: if Monk2, you can be centered with shortswords (Ninja enhancement), shortswords are also religious weapon (FvS enhancements)
- others: dunno, never tried

Your existing gear: skip, ignore. Don't limit yourself with what you have in your bank.
Example: I have a WF Wiz18/Rogue2. Its War Mage (hybrid melee and magic, just like War Priest). Long time ago I got Sword of Shadow. I was nonstop trying to "stuff" that SoS on this char. Hey, I have to, right, it's *the* weapon. I tried and tried until I realised that just cool weapon is not enough. The weapon must also fit the build. In my case (Wiz18/Rog2) quarterstaff is better fit. Much much better. Plus, for every Sword of Shadows theres Sireth.

This sounds interesting. I had not thought about the haste from Warpriest, this is definitely an interesting option. My preference for this build is to go heavy armor.
I am interested in using the gear that I have as this is a toon that I will not be playing a ton, and so will likely never get a ton of gear or all geared out, so I would like to leverage the gear that I do have to make this journey a tad easier.

PDK could be an option for me, though there is a part of me that would definitely like to go dwarf for flavor and to use some of the dwarven axes that I have laying around.

Panzermeyer
10-20-2014, 04:26 PM
Errr, like the one you get from lvl 3 pal or ftr SD tree that gives you +25 PRR and +3 to saves? Is there anything else you would take a 3-lvl splash?

There was talk about capping Div Grace bonus by the number of pally lvls you have: 2 + (3 * pal lvl) would be the max, so +8 on a pal 2 splash, +11 on a pal 3, etc. +11 to saves & defensive stance is still a pretty potent combo, IMHO; it's just a question of whether that bonus to saves is more important than two extra feats, haste boost, and extra action boost from ftr. Ofc, it's also a question of whether defensive stance is more important than lvl 9 spells.

Oh I am just asking as I tend to play caster builds and so am very familiar with caster trees and such. But have very little experience with the melee trees and everything they might have to offer.

elcagador
10-20-2014, 04:57 PM
Oh I am just asking as I tend to play caster builds and so am very familiar with caster trees and such. But have very little experience with the melee trees and everything they might have to offer.

If you want to play in heavy armor, splashing 3 FTR or 3 Pally levels is highly recommended (unless you use heal mass or another lvl 9 spell). The stance you get from sacred defender/stalwart defender not only gives +25 Prr and +3 saves, also gives +25 Mrr (magical resistance rating, very helpful for non evasion builds)
With tier 3 sacred defender/stalwart you also can boost your hitpoints by 20%. http://ddowiki.com/page/Sacred_Defender_enhancements.

Getting tier 4 defender enhancements (require lvl 4 paladin or fighter) also can increase your meele speed 10% and give extra +6 con or str, with the drawback of losing wings. (if you decide to lose wings can splash more pally and fighter lvls for more meele dmg and defense like a 12fvs/6pal/2ftr for example) (take into acount that with epic destinies you can aoe cure others using consecrated ground from crusader destiny or mass cure moderate wounds sla and divine wrath from exalted angel, apart from single heals, renewals or coccoons, maybe in some raids you could need heal mass but it depends on your play style) (also something to consider is if you want to invest on charisma for divine might, saves and epic abilities like soundburst, energy burst, etc)(you no longer need str or cleaves prereq for overwhelming critical feat)

Andoris
10-31-2014, 11:49 AM
I have a drow 15 Fvs / 3 Pally / 2 monk centered with short swords FvS that is a hybrid melee/caster that is a blast to play. Highly versitle (DPS, Raid healer, light Tank)

I'll copy the build over to the forums here later today so you can take a look at it.

Edit: Just got it posted -- let me know your thoughts: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/451039-Champion-of-the-Gods

Panzermeyer
10-31-2014, 03:59 PM
That is an excellent looking build. It is similar to the Shoikan (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/440115-Shoikan-A-Divine-Crusader-Warpriest) which I was running on one of my toons to get some divine Heroic and Epic past lives. It was a fun build.

I was interested in something in heavy armor however to try something new. Any suggestions on that?