PDA

View Full Version : If my wolf were a player I'd squelch him. Or, here are some changes I'd like to see

Vooduspyce
08-21-2014, 02:18 AM
He runs around like an idiot sometimes, doesn't respond to me, dies all the time, doesn't do what I ask him to do, is a mana sponge to heal and I lose hp and sp when he dies. Squelched.

Devs please make the wolf a better companion. We don't need the wolf to be a dps machine in EE's, just need it to be more surviveable. Having the wolf out is so much fun, but the death penalty is so prohibitive.

Here's are some of the mods that I'd love to see:

1. No more sp and hp penalty when wolf dies. This is not in any edition of D&D that I've played and doesn't even make sense in druidic ethos.
2. Give wolf (and iron defender) more gear slots... necklace, cloak, rings, belt, bracers, trinket.
3. DR, PRR and natural armor enhancement line. The wolf is overdue for an enhancement pass anyway... any plans for this? :)
4. Feats
5. And just for fun we need cosmetic fur for our wolves and for us in animal form. I'd buy it :D

In 3rd. edition there was an option in Masters of the Wild for using "Legendary" animal companions. We need something like this for epics. Maybe build something into a new capstone, since all capstones are in desperate need for overhaul.

Would love to hear others' ideas on making the wolf a better companion...

G_Lich
08-27-2014, 08:58 PM
/signed from an artificer on the other side of the fence.

Drathsiddh
08-29-2014, 02:17 AM
He runs around like an idiot sometimes, doesn't respond to me, dies all the time, doesn't do what I ask him to do, is a mana sponge to heal and I lose hp and sp when he dies. Squelched.

Devs please make the wolf a better companion. We don't need the wolf to be a dps machine in EE's, just need it to be more surviveable. Having the wolf out is so much fun, but the death penalty is so prohibitive.

1. No more sp and hp penalty when wolf dies. This is not in any edition of D&D that I've played and doesn't even make sense in druidic ethos.
2. Give wolf (and iron defender) more gear slots... necklace, cloak, rings, belt, bracers, trinket.
3. DR and PRR enhancement line. The wolf is overdue for an enhancement pass anyway... any plans for this? :)
4. Feats
5. And just for fun we need cosmetic fur for our wolves and for us in animal form. I'd buy it :D

Would love to hear others' ideas on making the wolf a better companion...

Agreed on most stuff, but just a few pointers.
1: The PnP doesn't have Sp.
2: Wolds with belts, cloaks, rings and stuff? NO way, but agreed, they need more slots.
3: Why waste time on the old stuff anyway? Just make a new tree or two.
4: Intresting, never thought about it but what of augment summoning?
5: No comment.

Just a few ideas I have, wouldn't it be nice to have different sort of companions? Bear tank, Hawk ranger, Panther dps and such or would it be to OP? Leave out healers and trappers when you consider this.

Vooduspyce
08-29-2014, 04:18 AM
Agreed on most stuff, but just a few pointers.
1: The PnP doesn't have Sp.
2: Wolds with belts, cloaks, rings and stuff? NO way, but agreed, they need more slots.
3: Why waste time on the old stuff anyway? Just make a new tree or two.
4: Intresting, never thought about it but what of augment summoning?
5: No comment.

Just a few ideas I have, wouldn't it be nice to have different sort of companions? Bear tank, Hawk ranger, Panther dps and such or would it be to OP? Leave out healers and trappers when you consider this.

I've used the spell point system in 2nd edition D&D from Player's Option: Spells and Magic accessory. In 3rd edition there are alternate rules for using spell points in Unearthed Arcana. Love sp in pnp! :)

My pnp DM's always let me use magic items on my companion animals within reason. Trinkets and rings are reasonable. Boots and helmets, probably not so much :p

I like to use Augment Summoning in heroics, but even with 3 druid pl's and AS (giving +10 to all stats) the wolf is pretty lame on EE. Like I said, I'm not looking for the wolf to become a dps machine, it would just be nice if it was more surviveable and no sp and hp penalty on death. These things just make druids not want to use their wolves at all beyond lever pulling :(

Having other options besides wolf would be amazing flavor! Maybe make them a lot nicer and purchasable???

Drathsiddh
08-31-2014, 07:49 AM
I've used the spell point system in 2nd edition D&D from Player's Option: Spells and Magic accessory. In 3rd edition there are alternate rules for using spell points in Unearthed Arcana. Love sp in pnp! :)

My pnp DM's always let me use magic items on my companion animals within reason. Trinkets and rings are reasonable. Boots and helmets, probably not so much :p

I like to use Augment Summoning in heroics, but even with 3 druid pl's and AS (giving +10 to all stats) the wolf is pretty lame on EE. Like I said, I'm not looking for the wolf to become a dps machine, it would just be nice if it was more surviveable and no sp and hp penalty on death. These things just make druids not want to use their wolves at all beyond lever pulling :(

Having other options besides wolf would be amazing flavor! Maybe make them a lot nicer and purchasable???
I haven't played 2/3e so no comment.
The wolf's are usually in "Wild Shape: Soul Stone Form," and now you say that with 3 Past lives and augment summoning they still (excuse me) still suck? Wow.
Anybody got ideas for alternative companions, but before the devs make new pets, let them update the one's they have.

Tscheuss
08-31-2014, 11:40 AM
The wolf's are usually in "Wild Shape: Soul Stone Form," and now you say that with 3 Past lives and augment summoning they still (excuse me) still suck? Wow.
Anybody got ideas for alternative companions, but before the devs make new pets, let them update the one's they have.

At what level does the wolf start dying? I haven't played druid past level 6.

Vooduspyce
08-31-2014, 06:08 PM

I did 3 druid PL's on Gingerspyce thinking that with AS the wolf would be pretty good. At the time I even ran in Primal Avatar and had some of the wolf enhancement line from that going and even with all that the wolf is lame in EE's and can even struggle in some EH's. It's very disappointing.

Vooduspyce
08-31-2014, 06:10 PM
At what level does the wolf start dying? I haven't played druid past level 6.

The wolf is pretty good through heroic levels. Though I wouldn't use the wolf for some harder quests like elite at level ATDQ for example.

FranOhmsford
08-31-2014, 06:27 PM

Yes...That's because it's an effect stolen from Familiars!

Yes please.

Avocado
09-04-2014, 02:39 AM
Yes, Yes and more Yes to cosmetics for wolf form and Yes to everything else you said!
Theres a reason I name my pet Leverpuller or Ultimatepiker each life. I'd say just give them a super high reflex b/c wolves naturally get that and make it so they only attack stuff in EQ that way they dont get slaughtered by melee b/c they run off and attack stuff that isnt knocked down.