PDA

View Full Version : Rogue with Artificer Splash

mpollack
07-14-2014, 08:36 AM
A while back, when I started my repeater rogue, people suggested that I splash a level or two of artificer for some of the benefits, i.e. the ability to generate bolts like an arcane archer. At the time, I just shrugged because I didn't have artificer. But now that it's on sale, I am trying to get a better idea of whether it is worth a repeater rogue with artificer splash.

Some basics. She's a drow repeater rogue. High Dex and Int, med con, typical repeater feats, max UMD, trap skills, etc. I have an LR+20 heart for her, so it's not too big a deal to change around feats and skill points.

eris2323
07-14-2014, 08:38 AM
A while back, when I started my repeater rogue, people suggested that I splash a level or two of artificer for some of the benefits, i.e. the ability to generate bolts like an arcane archer. At the time, I just shrugged because I didn't have artificer. But now that it's on sale, I am trying to get a better idea of whether it is worth a repeater rogue with artificer splash.

Some basics. She's a drow repeater rogue. High Dex and Int, med con, typical repeater feats, max UMD, trap skills, etc. I have an LR+20 heart for her, so it's not too big a deal to change around feats and skill points.
If you use repeaters, a splash of arty (level 2) will allow you to use rune arms, which will add damage to every bolt in the volley. Some of them do stuff like add disruption to any repeater you use, or banishing, as well.

It's quite worth it. I'd also say summoning 1000 bolts is quite worth it.

Finally, at 3rd level, if you wanted that splash, you can get a few minutes of an extra elemental damage with the elemental weapons buff.

I'd say it's quite worth it, but I am really, really, really enjoying my repeater builds the last few lives.... PEW PEW

unbongwah
07-14-2014, 11:05 AM
The drawback to splashing any rogue is losing your respective capstone; the wiki page (http://ddowiki.com/page/Mechanic_enhancements) hasn't been updated, but IIRC the Mechanic capstone now provides +5% Doubleshot on top of all its other static benefits.

If you do decide to MC - and presuming you don't use great xbows and want Expert Builder - you may want to consider something more heavily-MCed for higher-lvl arty spells, enhs, and extra feat(s). Rog 13 / arty 6 was a popular combo.