PDA

View Full Version : Off hand weapon for wolf form druid?

Pilgrim1
04-09-2014, 12:15 PM
So i hit 20 on my 9druid/9monk/2fighter wolf form druid and did some testing between a disjuncted lvl 1 hand wrap and a lvl 1 pair of short sword.

Now as many on this form and myself included have said: monk bonuses to die steps only go up if you are using a hand wrap under that furry exterior.

So i took off my str items and beat on a helpless dummy a bunch these are my results:

Shortsword:
613 dmg over 19 hits = average 32.3/hit
(high: 42, low: 22)

Handwrap:
617 dmg over 18 hits = average 34.3/hit
(High: 48, low 25)

This is a limited sample size of course and i may at some point do more testing but, with 9 monk levels I get +1[w] or +1[1d10] or on average +5.5 damage. My damage was slightly more on average (2 points!! on helpless mob) from using handwraps. This was very surprising.

My second test was to take the same weapons out into kings forest and beat on some hapless drow. I noticed that my grazing to non-grazing roll (10) was the same for both weapons (on the same mob) thus there does not seam to be any hidden effect for lowering to-hit with two weapons.

So, in the end this got me thinking about using a pair of shortswords instead of handwraps for this toon, I mean, if its just a few points of dmg difference it should not make a big deal. So I was wondering what people thought would make a good off-hand shortsword (or kama).

3x poss greensteal for the heal amp...
A crafted +8 seeker +5 SA with a red slot
Lootgen +10/11/12 stunning with a red slot
Rebellion

Anyone else have any ideas? I'm thinking the optimal mainhand weapon will likely be a tear 2 worm weapon (no way I'm get tear 3 on this toon) or maybe elemental furry.

Anyways, what are your thoughts?

Arcanegrin
04-10-2014, 11:35 AM
I'm not particularly well informed on wolf form, but maybe you could compare Epic wraps with increased die steps to epic weapons. I read somewhere they may not be stacking correctly though, but maybe you'll get an extra couple damage dice from the wraps.

Also I think the only effects from your short swords that would be added to your attacks are ones from your primary hand weapon.

TheGuyYouKnow
04-10-2014, 12:43 PM
also not massively into druids but iirc your main hand weapon is the only one that counts so most go with a shield offhand and get shield mastery feats and natural fighting for a lot of doublestrike and PRR

unbongwah
04-10-2014, 04:27 PM
also not massively into druids but iirc your main hand weapon is the only one that counts so most go with a shield offhand and get shield mastery feats and natural fighting for a lot of doublestrike and PRR
Not if they're going for a (centered) Drunk wolf like the OP is. :)

Pilgrim1
04-11-2014, 01:23 AM
Not if they're going for a (centered) Drunk wolf like the OP is. :)

This is it in a nutshell.

I know i only get weapon damage effects from my main hand, however off hand things can still be a useful slot. Things like SA, seeker, stunning, heal amp, red slot for devotion, all of these can boost the overall toon. So I'm looking for ways to do that, hell if i could remain centered blizzard (with the parry + GL + redslot) might even be a good option.

So anyone in a similar situation where they have a useless off-hand item that they use to maximize gain?

thanks!