PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Draw

EpiKagEMO
03-25-2014, 08:29 PM
My first time playing an actual range class, standing back and shooting with a bow(really trying to avoid arcane archer for reasons), I wanted to give Deepwood Sniper a shot.(now known as Deepwood STALKER). I was excited about some of the enhancements, mainly the one from the top shelf. So when I read the DWS enhancement Heavy Draw, I thought I would get a blazing +15 to damage with Power Attack+Heavy Draw. (since bows are sort of two handed...) but when I got the enhancements, many things felt broken.
Is this WAI? probably not.

Here's the quote:
Toggle: While Heavy Draw is active, you deal +5 damage but have -5 to attack rolls with archery and thrown attacks. Effects that modify the attack penalty and bonus of the Power Attack feat also modify this ability (but other effects related to Power Attack do not). This ability has no effect when using a crossbow.

Combat Logs
(Effects): You benefit from your Heavy Draw.
(Effects): --- Penalty modifier to Ranged Attack Rolls: +5 <----... WHAT? read that carefully!
(Combat): While Heavy Draw is active, you deal +5 damage but have -5 to attack rolls with archery and thrown attacks. Effects that modify the attack penalty and damage bonus of Power Attack feat also modify this ability. (Other effects related to Power Attack do not.) This ability has no effect when using a crossbow.

Before diagnosing the thing Power Attack+Heavy Draw... fixes should be implemented here.
*Notice that it's not subtracting the hit penalty... My hit bonus sitting at 32, and 32 on/off.

Devs... Please fix this ASAP. I want my +10/15 damage >:(

Alfhild
03-25-2014, 08:43 PM
My first time playing an actual range class, standing back and shooting with a bow(really trying to avoid arcane archer for reasons), I wanted to give Deepwood Sniper a shot.(now known as Deepwood STALKER). I was excited about some of the enhancements, mainly the one from the top shelf. So when I read the DWS enhancement Heavy Draw, I thought I would get a blazing +15 to damage with Power Attack+Heavy Draw. (since bows are sort of two handed...) but when I got the enhancements, many things felt broken.
Is this WAI? probably not.

Here's the quote:
Toggle: While Heavy Draw is active, you deal +5 damage but have -5 to attack rolls with archery and thrown attacks. Effects that modify the attack penalty and bonus of the Power Attack feat also modify this ability (but other effects related to Power Attack do not). This ability has no effect when using a crossbow.

Combat Logs
(Effects): You benefit from your Heavy Draw.
(Effects): --- Penalty modifier to Ranged Attack Rolls: +5 <----... WHAT? read that carefully!
(Combat): While Heavy Draw is active, you deal +5 damage but have -5 to attack rolls with archery and thrown attacks. Effects that modify the attack penalty and damage bonus of Power Attack feat also modify this ability. (Other effects related to Power Attack do not.) This ability has no effect when using a crossbow.

Before diagnosing the thing Power Attack+Heavy Draw... fixes should be implemented here.
*Notice that it's not subtracting the hit penalty... My hit bonus sitting at 32, and 32 on/off.

Devs... Please fix this ASAP. I want my +10/15 damage >:(
If it doesn't affect it, it definitely should since DWS , like Tempest, needs some serious loving in the top tiers. Am I the only one for instance that thinks Thrill of the Hunt is a /facepalm enhancement?

Ilindith
03-25-2014, 09:20 PM
Uh, Power Attack does not work with ranged weapons?

The description does not say it should either, it simply says things that make PA better will also make Heavy Draw better. Such as Improved PA enhancements.

You won't get a +10 or +15 anywhere. Only +5 from Heavy Draw, or a bit more with proper enhancements.

Alfhild
03-25-2014, 09:34 PM
Uh, Power Attack does not work with ranged weapons?

The description does not say it should either, it simply says things that make PA better will also make Heavy Draw better. Such as Improved PA enhancements.

You won't get a +10 or +15 anywhere. Only +5 from Heavy Draw, or a bit more with proper enhancements.
I misread Improved Power Attack, my bad.

EpiKagEMO
03-26-2014, 10:07 PM
Darn lawyers... that wording is tight. Anyways, Thanks for the help!
Back to melee!

Dreams of +15 damage... :'(

Linvak
03-27-2014, 08:06 AM
Darn lawyers... that wording is tight. Anyways, Thanks for the help!
Back to melee!

Dreams of +15 damage... :'(

You can still get +20% extra dmg when you max archers focus. You also get unlimited range on the point blank dmg and sneak attacks which sounds cool but sadly you can really only get about 5d6/6d6 unless shadowdancer (I'm not sure which ed people are using for range) but still extra dmg. So you're definitely getting a lot of dmg elsewhere.

I'm really curious to try it with the rest of APs up the AA tree as far as u can. It just sucks that the capstone isn't available before 20, because then you're looking at some interesting builds.