PDA

View Full Version : Thrower Assassin feat choices

Hollowind
01-19-2014, 12:15 AM
So I built a dex based human thrower assassin for kicks and its not the greatest, but it is a bit of fun. Any recommendations on feat choices. Pure rogue, currently level 12 and looking at:

1 Point blank shot, rapid shot
3 quick draw
6 precision
9 precise shot
12 improved critical: thrown
15 improved precise shot
18 ???
21 combat archery
24 improved sneak attack
27 blinding speed

Any thoughts? Melee is a last resort but still happens occasionally.

GeoffWatson
01-19-2014, 12:29 AM
How do you feel about multi-classing?

A bit of Monk for Shuriken Expertise, and enough Ninja for Advanced Ninja Training will let you throw shuriken a LOT faster than throwing daggers.

Geoff.

Hollowind
01-19-2014, 07:13 AM
How do you feel about multi-classing?

A bit of Monk for Shuriken Expertise, and enough Ninja for Advanced Ninja Training will let you throw shuriken a LOT faster than throwing daggers.

Geoff.

1. I don't own monk on the account this character is on, so I'm going full rogue and splashes are currently not an option.
2. Assassin tier 5 gives 16-20 x3 crit range with throwing daggers.

Xianio
01-19-2014, 10:53 PM
1. I don't own monk on the account this character is on, so I'm going full rogue and splashes are currently not an option.
2. Assassin tier 5 gives 16-20 x3 crit range with throwing daggers.

You may still want to consider going shurikens. You can grab expertise and get a very good chance of throwing 2 on every attack. That will substantially increase your dps potential as there simply aren't any throwing daggers suitable for over level 20.

After all, 2 shurikens is kind of like an improved x2 critical hit anyway. Since most of your damage is coming from the "extras" rather than the weapon itself, you might as well.

Hollowind
01-20-2014, 05:10 PM
You may still want to consider going shurikens. You can grab expertise and get a very good chance of throwing 2 on every attack. That will substantially increase your dps potential as there simply aren't any throwing daggers suitable for over level 20.

After all, 2 shurikens is kind of like an improved x2 critical hit anyway. Since most of your damage is coming from the "extras" rather than the weapon itself, you might as well.

Thanks for responding. I definitely considered a shuriken based drow pure rogue, and I was tempted to go that route but didn't because I would be one feat behind a human in advancement, as well as the fact that I would need to go str based as well as dex based or forgo the additional small base damage that would come from the weapon.

I'm currently critting for close to 150 damage base damage on a 16-20 with the daggers I'm using at level 15 which isn't too bad. With a shuriken it would be a crit for 40-50 damage on a 19-20. Considering the bypass of fortification on 35% of hit this is more substantial than it seems.

In the end game with shiradi bells and whistles a shuriken build would definitely be best.

That said, does anyone actually have a response to the question I asked at the start of the thread? Right now I'm looking at power critical for the extra +2 on crits just because I don't see any other feats that would impact.

I may just make a drow next life and try the shurikens out.

Jasparion
01-20-2014, 06:37 PM
Thanks for responding. I definitely considered a shuriken based drow pure rogue, and I was tempted to go that route but didn't because I would be one feat behind a human in advancement, as well as the fact that I would need to go str based as well as dex based or forgo the additional small base damage that would come from the weapon.

I'm currently critting for close to 150 damage base damage on a 16-20 with the daggers I'm using at level 15 which isn't too bad. With a shuriken it would be a crit for 40-50 damage on a 19-20. Considering the bypass of fortification on 35% of hit this is more substantial than it seems.

In the end game with shiradi bells and whistles a shuriken build would definitely be best.

That said, does anyone actually have a response to the question I asked at the start of the thread? Right now I'm looking at power critical for the extra +2 on crits just because I don't see any other feats that would impact.

I may just make a drow next life and try the shurikens out.

You said you went Human for the extra Feat, but now have a spare Feat and dont know what to go for (Power Critical is a pretty horrible choice BTW) :)

Hollowind
01-20-2014, 07:24 PM
You said you went Human for the extra Feat, but now have a spare Feat and dont know what to go for (Power Critical is a pretty horrible choice BTW) :)

Extra feat to level with. Getting those feats 3 levels earlier makes a difference.

A guy walks onto a used car lot and says "Hey I'd like to buy that Volvo"

Salesman 1: Buy this porshe instead.
Salesman 2: I know you like that Volvo but buy this Audi
Salesman 3: Why are you looking at a Volvo? Volvos are garbage.

You guys are fired.