PDA

View Full Version : ranger trapsmith: looking for ways to improve

redoubt
12-13-2013, 03:43 PM
I've had this character a long time. Its gone from armor to robes with monk and back to armor again. Been drow the whole time using weapons finesse and rapiers, SS and daggers mostly. Typically the incarnations have been 18/1/1 ranger/rogue/monk(sometimes fighter). Lately I've also put points into AA up to paralyzing arrows.

Gear to start from (but not mandatory): Red corymry light armor, 2xcelestia, 2xagony, 1xbalazarde, 1xpinion, 2xRaiders box, a host of GS items and rapiers, lots of GS building materials and 7 years of accumulated stuff stashed on lots of dusty characters.

Goals:
Improve dps while still
being a TWF'r (ranged a nice secondary attack mode; though, try me if you want, you might convince me to swap precedence on them.)
having Trap skills to cover EE
maintaining enough reflex save to have good evasion for EE

My initial thoughts are to back off the 18 ranger. With the enhancement pass 18 is not as big of a deal (not that I don't want 5% doublestrike, but more may be gained with additional levels of another class)..
1 rogue and first level is mandatory. Good start on skills and keeping search, spot, disable, UMD at Max. OL can lag a little if it has to.
monk/fighter/rogue levels as needed.
Ranger 14 gives fom and all the bow and TWF feats. I think this is the minimum. Pushing to 15 adds another FE and a second level 4 spell for cure serious.

In the past I've spend a lot of time running in Unyielding Sentinal, and while I like the defensive boost, I feel I'm missing some punch. All my destinies are filled out, so switching that is easy.
I just can't decide which would work well on my build. Blitz seems pretty awesome. I think I'd have to switch to STR based to be able to use enough combat feats to get it to trigger; the trick then is if I can get enough tactical DC while maintaining trapskills. I've looked at EIN, but staying centered seems pretty limiting, so I'm not sure there either.

I'm open to lots of ways to update this character, including swapping from a dex to a str build (which is a pretty big deal to me, though I'm not even sure why anymore. Maybe I'm sentimental.)

Thanks in advance and I look forward to reading your ideas.

redoubt
12-13-2013, 03:45 PM
Oh, I also, already have a few past lives to help: 3xRanger, 3xMonk, 3xFighter, 3xDruid, 1xBarb

TheLegendOfAra
12-14-2013, 05:29 AM
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/431675-Ara-s-Thread-of-Mediocre-Builds

May give that a read. Plenty of Ranger builds with various playstyles available.

Looking at what you have, and what you want to do, the 11Ranger/8Rogue/1Fighter may be something you would like. I'm running one right now and other than some saves issues it's wonderful.
The saves can be fixed by dropping some rogue levels and picking up some monk instead and dropping Stunning Blow since you'd lack the DC's. Or you could pick up some pali levels, but I haven't played around with that yet, so meh.

Emizand
12-16-2013, 04:38 AM
The saves can be fixed by dropping some rogue levels and picking up some monk instead and dropping Stunning Blow since you'd lack the DC's. Or you could pick up some pali levels, but I haven't played around with that yet, so meh.

I am playing around with a halfling ranger/rogue/paladin 12/5/3 dagger specced build at the moment. Saves are very good. Dumped str, total dex build, tier 5 rogue for dagger/kukri sweetness, no problem with traps.