PDA

View Full Version : Race and feats for a wolf druid?

GrantAnderson
11-10-2013, 10:31 PM
I've been looking at Druid builds here, and I think I'd like to try a wolf-form Druid.

Should 5 feats be locked into Natural Fighting x3, Shield Mastery x2, to max out the double strike? If so, what should the last couple be?

Should I be human for the extra feat/skill point, half-elf for the sneak attack from a Rogue dilettante, half-orc for Strength, Dwarf for Constitution? (Is there much room for the looting dragonmark if human or half-orc?)

Advice much appreciated!

Rush007
11-11-2013, 09:52 AM
I've been looking at Druid builds here, and I think I'd like to try a wolf-form Druid.

Should 5 feats be locked into Natural Fighting x3, Shield Mastery x2, to max out the double strike? If so, what should the last couple be?

Should I be human for the extra feat/skill point, half-elf for the sneak attack from a Rogue dilettante, half-orc for Strength, Dwarf for Constitution? (Is there much room for the looting dragonmark if human or half-orc?)

Advice much appreciated!

Are you thinking a pure druid or splash? Melee builds should take at least 2 monk levels for weapon dice increases, evasion and feats. The monk levels infect the playstyle however, even with 18 druid you will feel like your playing a monk. Your using handwraps, you wearing robes, your using stunning fist.

Numbers don't add up past heroic content for pure druid melees. Scaling issues. All the double strike you can muster does not outweigh the benefit of adding just 2 monk levels dps wise and then playing by the monk rules.

unbongwah
11-12-2013, 02:30 PM
As Rush007 mentions, the biggest problem with going the S&B wolf druid route is the lack of +[W] modifiers. Shillelagh will carry over if you have a wooden club or scepter equipped; but that's a whoppin' 1.5[d10] base dmg. :rolleyes: Compared to all the epic weapons with 2.5[W] modifiers and higher base dmg, it's pretty anemic; factor in ED bonuses to weapon dmg and wolves pale in comparison.

Drunken wolf builds are quite a bit better off, as any +[W] modifiers for unarmed combat will carry over. Furthermore, you can now add higher-tier monk stances as chooseable feats. I think if you have a staff equipped, the +1[W] from Shillelagh will also carry over, but the downside is you can't get any (passive) bonuses from having an offhand weapon like you would from, say, two kamas.

Daine
11-12-2013, 04:12 PM
Should I be human for the extra feat/skill point, half-elf for the sneak attack from a Rogue dilettante?

Yes to half-elf. I've played a 2MNK/18DRD wolf-form 1/2 elf rogue dilettante, with my pet wolf tripping for more sneak attacks from me, loads of fun.

Just a warning though, if you do splash druid, your pet becomes ineffectual quite fast, though the class is still heaps of fun.

If you do play a wolf and solo, just for extra kicks, get a hireling that can summon as well!

Rush007
11-15-2013, 02:31 PM
As Rush007 mentions, the biggest problem with going the S&B wolf druid route is the lack of +[W] modifiers. Shillelagh will carry over if you have a wooden club or scepter equipped; but that's a whoppin' 1.5[d10] base dmg. :rolleyes: Compared to all the epic weapons with 2.5[W] modifiers and higher base dmg, it's pretty anemic; factor in ED bonuses to weapon dmg and wolves pale in comparison.

Drunken wolf builds are quite a bit better off, as any +[W] modifiers for unarmed combat will carry over. Furthermore, you can now add higher-tier monk stances as chooseable feats. I think if you have a staff equipped, the +1[W] from Shillelagh will also carry over, but the downside is you can't get any (passive) bonuses from having an offhand weapon like you would from, say, two kamas.

Magic fang is actually very very good. +5 to hit and damage, 5 AC, 15 spellpower if you have a shield or weapon with spellpower slotted. Shillelagh is just an average of 5 damage doesn't even have the hit that fang does.