PDA

View Full Version : Animal shapes: I still don't get it

Faeeee
07-10-2013, 10:37 PM
I'm encountering some problems when leveling a wolf druid:

1. I've taken improved critical blugeoning feat, which includes IC: unarmed, which according to forum posts will improve the crit profile of a winter wolf from 19-20/x3 to 17-20/x3. However this isn't happening on a non-handwraps build. I'm still critting only on 19-20 with whichever weapon I use in form. I thought the IC: blugeon feat was linked to the wild shape itself but not handwraps; am I wrong?

2. I crafted a triple-acid greensteel kama for my build. When I'm not in wild shape my non-crit attacks have 1d6 + 1d6 acid damage from acid and acid burst properties respectively. However, in wild shape all my attacks are left with only 1d6 acid damage... Is this a bug?

Any help is appreciated!

Munkenmo
07-11-2013, 12:12 AM
improved crit bludgeoning effects animal forms, regardless of what weapon type you use.

animal forms don't work the way you'd expect with weapons though.

Only your main hand weapon will allow offensive procs (acid burst, life shield, lightning strike etc.)
Your off hand weapon will only work for passive / defensive abilities (seeker, concord opp, sneak attack, healing amp, etc.)

I'm guessing you've got your acid burst kama equipped in your off hand?

Charononus
07-11-2013, 12:21 AM
I'm encountering some problems when leveling a wolf druid:

1. I've taken improved critical blugeoning feat, which includes IC: unarmed, which according to forum posts will improve the crit profile of a winter wolf from 19-20/x3 to 17-20/x3. However this isn't happening on a non-handwraps build. I'm still critting only on 19-20 with whichever weapon I use in form. I thought the IC: blugeon feat was linked to the wild shape itself but not handwraps; am I wrong?

2. I crafted a triple-acid greensteel kama for my build. When I'm not in wild shape my non-crit attacks have 1d6 + 1d6 acid damage from acid and acid burst properties respectively. However, in wild shape all my attacks are left with only 1d6 acid damage... Is this a bug?

Any help is appreciated!

You should be getting the improved crits to work in wolf form, I'll double check tommorrow to confirm something didn't get broken 18p2, if you are not getting it it's a bug.

I assume you splashed monk and are proficient with kama's if not with how funky animal forms can be that might be the answer. The other possibility if you are holding it in your main hand is that you are casting magic fang or some other druid weapon buff. On handwraps this can bug out additional damage properties, it might be effecting this too in theory.

Hope that helps.

Faeeee
07-11-2013, 01:04 AM
I'm guessing you've got your acid burst kama equipped in your off hand?

I assume you splashed monk and are proficient with kama's if not with how funky animal forms can be that might be the answer. The other possibility if you are holding it in your main hand is that you are casting magic fang or some other druid weapon buff. On handwraps this can bug out additional damage properties, it might be effecting this too in theory.

The kama is in my main hand, and I tested it before casting any druid weapon buff but still got only 1d6. The crits seem to work just fine though, with acid burst and acid blast damage. It's just normal hits that are missing the 1d6 damage.

My build is currently druid with 2 levels of monk splashed (will gain fighter levels later). The wiki page did mention some bug related to monk ki weapons on a druid but I don't really understand it nor can I duplicate it:

If you are a monk, and have two non druid (eg kama) weapons equipped, your damage in animal form will revert to the base damage of the animal, instead of the monk Unarmed Strike damage. You will also get no benefit of the magical properties of either weapon. (to work around this, only have one weapon equipped as you shift, then the damage will be calculated properly)

Charononus
07-11-2013, 01:08 AM
The kama is in my main hand, and I tested it before casting any druid weapon buff but still got only 1d6. The crits seem to work just fine though, with acid burst and acid blast damage. It's just normal hits that are missing the 1d6 damage.

My build is currently druid with 2 levels of monk splashed (will gain fighter levels later). The wiki page did mention some bug related to monk ki weapons on a druid but I don't really understand it nor can I duplicate it:

Do you have anything in your off hand then? It sounds like what you quoted is the problem, monk splashes can't have anything in their off hands.

Faeeee
07-11-2013, 01:22 AM
Do you have anything in your off hand then? It sounds like what you quoted is the problem, monk splashes can't have anything in their off hands.
I went to test it out again, this time with free off hand, but still got the same results; my crit profile was 19-20/x3 and I only got 1d6 acid damage. This may actually be a bug...

Tilomere
07-11-2013, 04:10 AM
Hmm...sounds odd...

TrinityTurtle
07-11-2013, 10:13 AM
Disclosure: I've only played a druid a little bit so far, so these are questions and not answers!

It's my understanding that the druids can only use scimitars for metal weapons without breaking the oath. The kama is metal, is this problem related to the broken oath? Does the oath get overridden by animal forms? Is the greensteel kama somehow not metal?

Charononus
07-11-2013, 12:54 PM
Disclosure: I've only played a druid a little bit so far, so these are questions and not answers!

It's my understanding that the druids can only use scimitars for metal weapons without breaking the oath. The kama is metal, is this problem related to the broken oath? Does the oath get overridden by animal forms? Is the greensteel kama somehow not metal?

Druids can use any weapon they're proficient in just like anyone else. They can only use non-metal armor and shields.

TrinityTurtle
07-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Druids can use any weapon they're proficient in just like anyone else. They can only use non-metal armor and shields.

Ah I see, I didn't realize the metal was limited only to things you wear, and not use.