PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Calanndra- An Arcane Archer Paladin build

CabooseJTS
05-09-2013, 12:31 PM
So, i have a character that i run only with my cousin. Right now it's a Bard and his character is a Paladin. We decided that we'd make these characters triple completionists. As an additional challenge we're each only going to use the weapons that we used during the first life through ALL of our lives (Except for spell casters and Artificers). As a result i have decided to plan out the lives for the other classes early; specifically Paladin for this post.

With this build i wanted to get the Hunter of the Dead PrE as well as the Elven Arcane Archer. i made sure to get Toughness, WF:Ranged, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Manyshot, Precise Shot, and IPS. i didn't bother making items for it in the character planner since it's still missing quite a few of them.

What i was wondering was if any of you forumites could give me ways to make it better (While keeping it elf race, keeping AA and HotD, and obviously using bows). As well as whether Smite Evil and other Paladin abilities work with ranged weapons? if not than that frees up a few APs for me.

without further adieu, here is Calanndra as a lvl 25 paladin:

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.16.01
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Test build one
Level 25 Lawful Good Elf Female
(20 Paladin \ 5 Epic)
Hit Points: 422
Spell Points: 518
BAB: 20\20\25\30\30
Fortitude: 20
Reflex: 20
Will: 13

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(36 Point) (Level 1) (Level 25)
Strength 14 17
Dexterity 18 28
Constitution 14 17
Intelligence 8 11
Wisdom 12 15
Charisma 14 17

Tomes Used
+3 Tome of Strength used at level 11
+3 Tome of Dexterity used at level 11
+3 Tome of Constitution used at level 11
+3 Tome of Intelligence used at level 11
+3 Tome of Wisdom used at level 11
+3 Tome of Charisma used at level 11

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 25)
Balance 4 17.5
Bluff 2 8
Concentration 2 8
Diplomacy 2 8
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle 2 8
Heal 5 30
Hide 4 14
Intimidate 2 8
Jump 2 8
Listen 1 9
Move Silently 4 14
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a
Repair -1 5
Search -1 7
Spot 1 9
Swim 2 8
Tumble n/a n/a
Use Magic Device n/a 8

Level 1 (Paladin)
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Bard
Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 2 (Paladin)

Level 3 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Point Blank Shot

Level 4 (Paladin)

Level 5 (Paladin)

Level 6 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Mental Toughness
Enhancement: Elven Dexterity I
Enhancement: Elven Ranged Damage I
Enhancement: Follower of the Undying Court
Enhancement: Paladin Resistance of Good I
Enhancement: Paladin Exalted Smite I
Enhancement: Paladin Extra Lay on Hands I
Enhancement: Paladin Extra Smite Evil I
Enhancement: Paladin Extra Smite Evil II
Enhancement: Paladin Hunter of the Dead I
Enhancement: Paladin Devotion I
Enhancement: Paladin Devotion II
Enhancement: Paladin Energy of the Templar I
Enhancement: Paladin Extra Turning I
Enhancement: Paladin Improved Turning I

Level 7 (Paladin)

Level 8 (Paladin)

Level 9 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Weapon Focus: Ranged Weapons
Enhancement: Elven Arcane Archer: Imbue Force Arrows
Enhancement: Undying Call
Enhancement: Elven Arcane Archer I
Enhancement: Paladin Extra Turning II
Enhancement: Paladin Improved Turning II

Level 10 (Paladin)
Enhancement: Paladin Extra Lay on Hands II

Level 11 (Paladin)

Level 12 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Rapid Shot
Enhancement: Elven Arcane Archer: Imbue Acid Arrows
Enhancement: Paladin Hunter of the Dead II
Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
Enhancement: Elven Arcane Archer: Conjure +2 Arrows
Enhancement: Paladin Toughness I
Enhancement: Paladin Toughness II

Level 13 (Paladin)
Enhancement: Paladin Redemption I

Level 14 (Paladin)
Enhancement: Paladin Improved Turning III

Level 15 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Manyshot
Enhancement: Elven Arcane Archer: Imbue Explosive Arrows
Enhancement: Elven Arcane Archer: Conjure +3 Arrows
Enhancement: Paladin Extra Turning III

Level 16 (Paladin)
Enhancement: Paladin Extra Lay on Hands III
Enhancement: Paladin Energy of the Templar II

Level 17 (Paladin)
Enhancement: Elven Arcane Archer: Imbue Force Burst Arrows
Enhancement: Elven Arcane Archer: Imbue Terror Arrows
Enhancement: Elven Arcane Archer: Conjure +4 Arrows
Enhancement: Paladin Divine Might I

Level 18 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Ranged Weapons
Enhancement: Paladin Hunter of the Dead III
Enhancement: Paladin Divine Might II

Level 19 (Paladin)
Enhancement: Paladin Divine Sacrifice I
Enhancement: Paladin Toughness III

Level 20 (Paladin)
Enhancement: Elven Arcane Archer: Imbue Slaying Arrows
Enhancement: Paladin Weapons of Good
Enhancement: Elven Arcane Archer: Conjure +5 Arrows

Level 21 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Precise Shot

Level 22 (Paladin)

Level 23 (Paladin)

Level 24 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Precise Shot

Level 25 (Paladin)

Please, let me know of any way i could improve it while allowing it to do what i want it to do.

Thanks in advance,
CabooseJTS

Cynning
05-09-2013, 01:32 PM
Here is something you might like....

Default Pyrene, the Endgame Paladin

Pyrene, the End Game Paladin: 15 Paladin / 3 Monk / 2 Ranger

*IMPORTANT NOTES*
1. After testing, I changed the build to 15 Paladin / 3 Ranger / 2 monk and the build stays mainly in Defender of Siberis with Legendary Dreadnought.
2. I made a second change which only applies to players having the completionist feat available, and I am playing a 14 paladin / 4 ranger / 2 monk which has +4 damage & saves over the 15/3/2 split.
3. First video of the build at level 20: here
4. I reach level 25, here are some screenshots

5. Videos coming soon!

Video 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9WQRWarPJI (Presentation of the build at Level 20)
Video 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNmBQzAU1Xo (EEDA Solo in 30 min with no pots/consumables - Fastest completion!)

BACKGROUND
As someone who plays one character, I find myself getting bored of a build once I have acquired all the gear pieces relevant to the build and know how to play the build to perfection.
Consequently, I often find myself dreaming about what my next life could be. I like to try new things.
My last couple of lives have followed the theme of having the "ranged" option, either with a completely ranged character, such as the Sithali build, or simply by having Manyshot.

To understand the build and the concept behind it, it is important to know that as DDO evolves, saves, defenses, self-healing & burst DPS gained a lot in importance.
These are some of the reasons that have contributed to popularize builds such as AAs, Shiradi Casters and the Juggernaut.

My first capped toon was a WF Paladin inspired by Ultimega (the name may be familiar to some Khyber folks). I enjoyed this toon a lot, and with the nerf of Zeal, I didn't really have a reason to revisit the Paladin Class. Until now.

Contrary to popular belief, paladins have gained a lot in power (Being able to Dual-Boost with Haste boost twisted, 2 extra feats on a feat-starved class, Great Synergy with the Fury of the Wild Destiny). Their DPS is lower than some other classes but with their saves, self healing and utility (Ability to Off-tank, very high UMD...), they are nearly impossible to kill.

PROS vs CONS (in no particular order)

+ High Saves
+ Great instantaneous self healing, and out of combat healing
+ High DPS Paladin
+ High Burst DPS w/ Manyshot & Dual Boosts
+ High healing amplification
+ Decent PRR
+ Benefits a lot from Completionist and great gear as they have several main stats
+ Evasion
+ Sprint Boost
+ Very self sufficient: makes a great soloer
+ Synergy with the Fury of the Wild Destiny
+ Complex to play (less boring), clickie-intensive (active & thoughtfull gameplay), not an easy button like Shiradi Casters
+ Versatility: 2 different destinies to play with depending on the situation, 2 combat styles (either TWF or THF)
+ Situationally Monk Light buffs
- Good luck finding one

The name of the build comes from the French Mountains called "The Pyrénées". I will be playing the build in a couple of weeks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PYRENE, LAWFUL GOOD HUMAN: 15 PALADIN / 3 MONK / 2 RANGER

STATS* (36) All sustainable, assuming LD
Str - 16+6(lvl)+4(tome)+2(compl)+2(yugo)+2(ship)+8(item) +2(insight)+4(alchem)+5(primal)+2(madstone)+1(exc) = 54
Dex - 14+4(tome)+2(compl)+2(ship)+2(yugo)+8(item)+2(insi ght)+4(alchem)+1(exc)+1(enh)=40
Con - 16+4(tome)+2(compl)+2(ship)+2(yugo)+(8item)+2(insi ght)+4(alchem)+5(primal)+1(exc)+4(madstone)= [b]50/b]
Int - 8+4(tome)+2(Compl)+2(ship)+1(exc)=17
Wis - 8+4(tome)+2(compl)+2(yugo)+2(ship)+7(item)+2(Insig ht)+1(exc)= 28
Cha - 16+4(tome)+2(compl)+2(ship)+2(yugo)+8(item)+3(insi ght)+2(enh.)+1(exc) = 40

*: Adjust stats according to tomes available to you. Keep in mind 18 base charisma is needed for Divine Might III, 23 base Str for Overwhelming critical and 17 base Dex for Manyshot.

LEVELING ORDER & FEATS
1. M: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Power Attack
2. M: Toughness (Evasion)
3. R: Cleave, FE: Giants (Bow Strength)
4. R: (Rapid Shot)
5. P
6. P: Great Cleave, (Divine Grace)
7-8. P
9. P: Quicken
10-11. P
12. P: Manyshot
13-14. P
15. P: Improved Critical: Slashing
16-17. P
18. P: Improved Critical: Ranged
19. P
20. M: Light Path
21-25. Overwhelming Critical, Completionist/Empower Healing

# Legendary Dreadnought is used most of the time
Twists w/ Legendary
3. Sense Weakness (Tier 4 LD)
2. Brace for Impact (Tier 1 Unyielding Sentinel)
1. Primal Scream / Rejuvenation Cocoon (Tier 1 Fury / Primal Avatar)

# Fury of the Wild is used for raids or when there is already someone blitzing in the group
Twists w/ Fury of the Wild
3. Haste Boost (Tier 3 LD)
2. Brace for Impact (Tier 1 Unyielding Sentinel)
1. Rejuvenation Cocoon (Tier 1 Primal Avatar)

ENHANCEMENTS

HUMAN Charisma I (2), Improved Recovery II (6), Human Versatility IV (10), Racial Toughness II (3),
RANGER Ranger Sprint boost I (1), Favored Damage I (1), Dexterity I (2)
MONK Patient Tortoise I (1), Improved Recovery I (2)
PALADIN Resistance of Good II (3), Divine Righteousness I (1), Divine Sacrifice II (3), Exalted Smite III (6), Extra Lay on Hands II (3), Extra Smite Evil IV (10), Hunter of the Dead II (3), Devotion II (3), Charisma I (2), Toughness II (3), Divine Might III (6), Improved Turning II (3), Extra Turning II (3)

SPELLS

Level 1: (3) Protection from Evil, Divine Favor, Virtue
Level 2: (2) Resist Energy, Cure Light Wounds
Level 3: (2) Cure Moderate Wounds, Prayer
Level 4: (2) Cure Serious Wounds, Zeal

SKILLS
Max UMD (***)
Concentration (**)
Balance (**)
Spot (*)
Put 1 point in Tumble at start

SAVES
F-15+4(GH)+7(res)+1(alch)+1(ship)+2(luck)+20(stat)+4 (insight)+15(cha)+2(brace)= 71
R-11+4(GH)+7(res)+1(alch)+1(ship)+2(luck)+15(stat)+1 (haste)+4(insight)+15(cha)+2(brace)= 63 + Evasion
W-8+4(GH)+7(res)+1(alch)+1(ship)+2(luck)+9(stat)+4(i nsight)+15(cha)+2(brace)= 53
*Considering the save check is in the low 60's for EEGH (61-63 from my experience), you will never fail a save with 71/63/53. Reflex save being the most important as most will-save based spells you can protect yourself from.

HIT POINTS
20 base
+10 Favor
+50 Epic levels
+190 class
+400 con
+35 GFL
+20 toughness item
+27 toughness feat
+40 toughness enh.
+20 barb pl
+50 LD levels
+5 tortoise
+45 shroud
+20 yugo
=932 HP sustainable (982 HP in Fury).

Enough when you never fail a save and you have evasion.

PRR
10 base
+ 14 slotted
+ 15 planar
= 39 in LD (45 w/ Fury)

Healing Amplification

There have been some super-high healing amplification paladin builds in the past, but honestly, besides seeing good numbers and being self sufficient, they didn't bring much to the table.
The Pyrene has some great healing amp. but doesn't push it to the point you sacrifice gear slots and DPS to see cool numbers pop up.

1.05 Pally PL
1.1 ship
1.1 HotD 1
1.1 HotD 2
1.1 enh.
1.2 enh.
1.3 bracers
= 240% Healing Amp.

GEAR

Helm: EE Black Dragon Helm w/ 8 con (Yellow, Green)
Goggles: EE Intricate Field Optics w/ 3 insight. cha (Yellow, Green)
Necklace: Pendant of the Stormreaver (Yellow)
Armor: Black Dragon Robe (Blue)
Trinket: Planar focus of Prowess w/ 8 str
Cloak: EE Jeweled Cloak (Yellow, Green)
Belt: +45 HP Belt
Ring1: Ring of Deceit (Yellow, Colorless)
Ring2: Ring of the Stalker (Yellow, colorless)
Boots: Halcyon Boots (Yellow, colorless)
Gloves: Gauntlets of Immortality (Yellow, Colorless)
Bracers: Greater Convalescent bracers of superior parrying
Quiver: EE Quiver of Poison

Weapon:

Tier 4 Cleaver Hewer of Suffering w/ Good/Elemental Damage
Tier 4 Pinion, Cloud-Piercer w/Red slot: +1d10 Ice damage
Various DR Breakers: ESOS, EAGA

Note: The gear setup can be really changed according to what you have available. Ex: EE Treads of Falling Shadows, EE Nether Grasps (and putting 114 devotion on the Cleaver), Adamantine Cloak of the wolf

SOME POSSIBLE QUESTIONS

#1. Why Empower Healing vs another feat such as Maximize or Stunning blow? While there are a lot of clickies allowing the use of the Maximize feat at no extra spell cost, Rejuvenation Cocoon only works with Empower Healing. Stunning blow is irrelevant for current endgame as it is difficult to make it work on non monks/fighters/barbarians, especially due to stat repartition for paladins.
#2. Why no intimidate? It is not very important to have because a simple manyshot will instantly give you the aggro. Your solid melee DPS combined with Divine Righteousness will be enough to keep aggro. Only EELOB requires a specialized tank at this point of the game, and with this build you can be the tank in any raid.
#3. Why no investment in AC? 1. You cannot have evasion if you wear heavy armor. 2. Using Robes saves a significant amount of time when switching situationnally or for clickies. 3. It simply doesn't work well in EE.
#4. Why Cleaver over Esos? LD offers an additional crit multiplier to the cleaver. 15 PRR is also incredibly important. You may not see it now; So either trust me or go in EEDA solo and we will understand each other
#5. Why THF over TWF? TWF also works pretty well on this build (since with THF>TWF nowadays, paladins is the most viable class for TWF) - Replace Quicken+Maximize for ITWF+GTWF. Drop IC:Ranged for Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Khopesh. If going for the Deathnips route, drop Ic:Slashing for Ic:Piercing.

CabooseJTS
05-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Cynning. However, I'm one who doesn't personally like to multiclass(i have no problem with others doing it and i know that it can make your character more powerful depending on the build), which is why i kept Calanndra a Pure Pally even though going multiclass may have been easier. I know it won't be as optimized, do as much damage, or be able to survive as much content as other builds, but it's one that i think i could have fun playing.

Fleckislaupir
05-09-2013, 02:46 PM
In generals, archery + paladins are a bad mix, esp. if you want to stay pure: partly because pallies get no bonus feats and archers are feat-constrained; partly because monkchers and even pure rangers have better sustained ranged DPS; and partly because some of the pallies' best abilities are melee-only (e.g., Zeal, Smite, Divine Sacrifice). Your build has to backload most of your ranged feats and still doesn't have Bow STR, which makes her DPS even worse. If you were willing to multi-class, I might suggest a rgr / pally hybrid; but if you're staying pure, I strongly recommend you stick with a melee-focused pally.

Cynning
05-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Exactly what Unbongwa said. If you enjoy a certain desire to play this build then you may enjoy it. If you have ever played any toon with any kind of speed, defense, or DPS, then you will hate this build because it will have none of those things. I've wanted a ranged Pally for a long time, and never could build an effective one. None of the Paladin Enhancements or Feats are really compatible with an AA. Its very unfortunate. and as he said above both Paladin and Ranged are both Feat starved.

However, if you want it badly enough, it looks like you have all the right Feats to continue with a pure ranged Paladin. Good luck and have fun!

CabooseJTS
05-09-2013, 05:27 PM
Thanks for all the feed back guys. And i know ranged pallies aren't very good (particularly because the paladin as a class is feat starved). I've played pallies, and I've played rangers, and I've enjoyed the aspects of both. I know my DPS won't be very good (my DPS isn't very good on my bard lives because i don't have Bow Strength either), but that's part of the added challenge that my cousin and i wanted. I also wasn't sure weather Smite actually worked with range because it doesn't specifically say it's Melee only either in-game or in the planner. If you guys say it doesn't than so be it.

~TuskCouncil
05-09-2013, 08:35 PM
doing pure ranged builds that aren't monk/ranger/fighter sounds extraordinarily painful. If you want pain, okay.

But like others said above, it really behooves you to reconsider pureclassing and your aversion to multiclassing because a pure paladin archer sounds like an unfortunate liability, and any multiclassing at all slowly turns that statement around.

Soulfurnace
05-09-2013, 10:11 PM
I'm looking at this, and I'm somewhat sad. You've got some great advice, some strange choices, and a lack of desire to multiclass. I know someone who is going from life #1 to #40, all archery, and she wrecked things on her pally (and, well, every) life. But she multiclassed.

Maybe I'm missing something, but if you don't want to melee (why not?), why do you need str?
Also, why 12 wis? A +6 item gets an 8 wis pally to 14, unless you're after turn undead..
And, I'm not sure if you're going with your cousin or joining groups, but.. A ranged paladin? At least a bard brings CC..
Idk, I just see these 3 lives being painful :\

EvilII
05-10-2013, 04:57 AM
Two things come to mind.
1: Dont put unnecessary build points into dexterity. Dexterity does not add any extra damage and should only be as high as you need to qualify for your chosen feats (19 including tomes if you are taking Improved Precise Shot, otherwise 17). Strenght, charisma and constitution are your priorities. If you take the Bow Strength feat, you will add your Strength modifier to bow damage.
2: Dont put skill points into Heal, that skill doesnt really do anything. Use magic device on the other hand is a very usefull skill even though you only get half ranks.

~Blacksoft
05-11-2013, 10:22 PM
With this build i wanted to get the Hunter of the Dead PrE as well as the Elven Arcane Archer. Thanks in advance,
CabooseJTS

Maybe this is a bit premature, but I have currently being considering a 6 ranger 14 pali AA.

currently

with 7 feats you get:

improved crit - ranged, improved crit - slash..etc

PBS, WF - ranged, mental toughness, IPS

Empower heal/toughness

BUT that is just for now, considering the enhancement pass, a build like this will get so much better if you just ignore the core class enhancements and go human:

exchange mental toughness and WF for PA and cleave and GC (human feat)

exchange IPS for precision

The sum of the builds damage would be with slaying arrows and regenerating exalted smites under adrenalines.

AAs will hav regenerating spell pts which is great for paladins.

I am not going to put it all here, but if your interested you could def. look into it yourself.

Sorry, if post is out of context.

Cheers!