PDA

View Full Version : Greensteel quarterstaff

Therigar
08-27-2012, 10:50 AM
The Shroud loot planner that I use indicates that I can make a greensteel quarterstaff with both a +6 STR and +6 WIS bonus, concordant opposition, +1 enhanced CHA and +2 insight CHA. If I leave the concordant opposition off it doesn't require a dual shard.

So, is the planner correct? Can I get two +6 stat increases on the same item?

Next, is it worth crafting the concordant opposition if I already have conop bracers crafted? I haven't played enough with the spell regeneration items to know if having more than one on a character at a time is of any benefit.

Lastly, while quarterstaff gives me a decidedly more RP feel to the character is it a smart choice? Would I be better holding a smaller weapon in each hand to reap multiple caster benefits?

Therigar
08-27-2012, 02:32 PM
Well, 31 looks and not one response. I'm certain it isn't a set of questions never asked before. Surely someone else has to have wondered and experimented with these things.

Anyone with an experience or knowledge based response willing to help me out?

Pape_27
08-27-2012, 02:40 PM
Looks like you can, if you go tier 1 neg/esc/mat (+6 str) and tier 2 positive/esc/mat - you get the base for conc/op, and the secondary effect of the positive is +6 wisdom. In the example below I chose +1 exc con, but it looks like it works for any of the positive aspects.

_

* Tier 1 Upgrade Section *
* Altar of Invasion - Shroud Part 1 *

Negative - Escalation - Material
+6 Strength

Gather These Raw Materials (From Shroud Part 1 Chests):
2 - Small Glowing Arrowheads
0 - Small Gnawed Bones
2 - Small Infernal Chains
2 - Small Devil Scales
3 - Small Twisted Shrapnel
3 - Small Sulfurous Stones
1 - Shard Of Power
5 - Shavarath Low Energy Cells From Chests Within the Shroud, or the Vendor in Part 3

Create - Inferior Focus Of Negative
Combine:
Small Glowing Arrowhead, Small Infernal Chain, Small Twisted Shrapnel, Small Sulfurous Stone, Shavarath Low Energy Cell

Create - Cloudy Gem Of Escalation
Combine:
Small Infernal Chain, Small Devil Scales, Small Twisted Shrapnel, Small Sulfurous Stone, Shavarath Low Energy Cell

Create - Diluted Material Essence
Combine:
Small Glowing Arrowhead, Small Devil Scales, Small Twisted Shrapnel, Small Sulfurous Stone, Shavarath Low Energy Cell

Create - Imbued Shard Of Power (Negative)
Combine:
Inferior Focus Of Negative, Cloudy Gem Of Escalation, Diluted Material Essence, Shard Of Power, Shavarath Low Energy Cell

Create Final Item - +5 Greensteel Quarterstaff (1d8, 20/x2) With +6 Strength
Combine:
+5 Greensteel Quarterstaff (1d8, 20/x2), Imbued Shard Of Power (Negative), Shavarath Low Energy Cell

* Tier 2 Upgrade Section *
* Altar of Subjugation - Shroud Part 3 *

Positive - Escalation - Material
+1 Constitution (Exceptional) , +6 Wisdom, +10 Diplomacy, +10 Haggle

Gather These Raw Materials (From Shroud Part 2 & 3 Chests):
2 - Medium Glowing Arrowheads
1 - Medium Gnawed Bones
1 - Medium Infernal Chains
3 - Medium Devil Scales
2 - Medium Twisted Shrapnel
3 - Medium Sulfurous Stones
1 - Shard Of Great Power
5 - Shavarath Medium Energy Cells From Chests Within the Shroud, or the Vendor in Part 3

Power - Depleted Shavarath Medium Energy Cell With +6 to +15 Weapons (Combine Weapon & Energy Cell on Alter)

Create - Focus Of Positive
Combine:
Medium Glowing Arrowhead, Medium Gnawed Bone, Medium Devil Scales, Medium Sulfurous Stone, Shavarath Medium Energy Cell

Create - Gem Of Escalation
Combine:
Medium Infernal Chain, Medium Devil Scales, Medium Twisted Shrapnel, Medium Sulfurous Stone, Shavarath Medium Energy Cell

Create - Material Essence
Combine:
Medium Glowing Arrowhead, Medium Devil Scales, Medium Twisted Shrapnel, Medium Sulfurous Stone, Shavarath Medium Energy Cell

Create - Imbued Shard of Great Power (Positive)
Combine:
Focus Of Positive, Gem Of Escalation, Material Essence, Shard of Great Power, Shavarath Medium Energy Cell

Create Final Item - +5 Greensteel Quarterstaff (1d8, 20/x2) With +6 Strength, +1 Constitution (Exceptional) - +6 Wisdom, +10 Diplomacy, +10 Haggle
Combine:
+5 Greensteel Quarterstaff (1d8, 20/x2)(With Tier 1 Upgrade), Imbued Shard Of Great Power (Positive), Shavarath Medium Energy Cell

BlueSilence
08-27-2012, 02:45 PM
Next, is it worth crafting the concordant opposition if I already have conop bracers crafted?

I understand that concordant opp weapon + item will work together (two weapons or two items wont) but I have read this not intended so like others have suggested in other threads, you can do it but someday the con opp weapon + item combo wont stack anymore.

xoowak
08-27-2012, 03:04 PM
Making a two-handed caster stick is a terrible idea, imo. You'll probably want to use a spell-boosting item in the other hand, plus you can use a shield/scroll when needed.

Brennie
08-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Can you craft it?
Yes.

Is it a good idea?
No, not at all.

Whynot?
If you are a melee, the answer is obvious - Weapons are for damage. If your weapon isn't designed to do damage (Or possibly various other combat related effects such as vorpal or paralyzing or whathaveyou), then its not a good weapon.

If you are a arcane caster, chances are you will very quickly find yourself discarding the greensteel you labored over in favor of better casting sticks (High spellpower and superior lore, or major necromancy focus, or whatever), while at the same time accumulating much better stat items (The commendation sets alone offer +7 stats with +2 Insight). As a Divine, you'll be feeling the same way, except you will also likely want a shield for AC/PRR and the fact that some enhancements seem to roll exclusively on shields (Major radiance lore for example). And both types of casters will often find themselves swapping between different weapon sets to enhance different elements, different spellschools, for clickies, for defensive options, or just to whip out a wand/scroll as needed. Doing any of this will cause you to lose your statstick bonuses, lowering your DCs, dropping your max spellpoints, and possibly even making you unable to cast depending on your overall stat numbers. All in all, stats are important "have on all the time" items, where weapon slots tend to require a lot of juggling

Lastly, for casters one handed weapons are always superior when it comes to greensteel. A quarterstaff or other 2handed weapon will always come out with exactly the same effects as a 1 handed weapon, except that it takes up both of your hand slots instead of just one. Besides which, this gives you an opportunity to make whichever item costs the least in terms of rare vale ingredients - Find something that is all lily petals and locust husks. However, again, i still don't think greensteel makes particularly good caster sticks. Geensteel does, however, make excellentcaster accessories (conc-op with SP options, any type with HP options, etc).

Therrias
08-27-2012, 03:20 PM

Yes. The Wisdom is from the Existential Stalemate 1 ability.

Next, is it worth crafting the concordant opposition if I already have conop bracers crafted?

It has been stated on the forums for a long time that you can stack an accessory and up to 2 weapons for con opp. It has also been stated by the devs that this is not Working As Intended and is subject to change.

Lastly, while quarterstaff gives me a decidedly more RP feel to the character is it a smart choice? Would I be better holding a smaller weapon in each hand to reap multiple caster benefits?

No. It gives you the exact same abilities as a 1 hander, So 2 handed only makes sense if you plan to melee with it.

countfitz
08-27-2012, 03:28 PM
The +6 wisdom is coming from the Concordant Opposition special ability, so yes you can. Question: Why? There are WAY better things to make than a +6 strength ConOp item, IMO.

Holy, Exceptional something, Exceptional Something would be fun... though I see not wanting that endgame with the exceptional stacking "issues." And that still gives the wisdom bonus.

All ConOp items give wisdom bonuses.

Edit: So I see this would be for a caster. I assumed it wasn't, since, you know, it's a Q-staff. A caster should not be wielding a green steel Q-staff. You want two scepters, or a Thurmaturgy Q-staff. So... rethink this plan. Completely.

Therigar
08-27-2012, 05:54 PM
Thank you all for the replies. I was unaware of the conop discussion in other threads because I seldom play casters and never have I kept them at L20 long enough to really see any need to craft a double shard item.

As for the quarterstaff v one-handed weapon, that is pretty much as I figured it. The character is based on a long-ago PnP character so there's a bit of nostalgia there with the whole quarterstaff look thing going on.

Anyway, thanks all for the info.

Brennie
08-27-2012, 08:21 PM
As for the quarterstaff v one-handed weapon, that is pretty much as I figured it. The character is based on a long-ago PnP character so there's a bit of nostalgia there with the whole quarterstaff look thing going on.

There are some pretty awesome staves for casters in the game, so you don't need to abandon that concept completely. It just doesn't mesh well with Greensteel is all.

Therigar
08-28-2012, 08:34 AM
There are some pretty awesome staves for casters in the game, so you don't need to abandon that concept completely. It just doesn't mesh well with Greensteel is all.

Well, since I don't have to put the conop on the weapon and because it has a low min level for subsequent lives, I may go ahead with it anyway just because.

There is still a lot about the synergy of spell buffs that I'm working out. (Not using spells to buff others, but buffing up the effectiveness and damage of spells I use.)

The PnP character used Magic Missile mostly as at that time the multiple missiles generated more damage than most other spells (and automatically hit). The other spell was a delayed blast nuclear fire ball. That one never got used because no one knew the effect of it. One session when all was lost dbnfb was cast. Think Hiroshima. No saves, instant death for all. The monk insisted that he was entitled to saves. He survived the immediate effects and died from radiation poisoning. Was a brilliant (pun intended) way to end a nearly 3 year long campaign. :D

Not much of that translates to DDO. But, there's still the nostalgia.

Llewndyn
08-28-2012, 11:33 AM
The Shroud loot planner that I use indicates that I can make a greensteel quarterstaff with both a +6 STR and +6 WIS bonus, concordant opposition, +1 enhanced CHA and +2 insight CHA. If I leave the concordant opposition off it doesn't require a dual shard.

Next, is it worth crafting the concordant opposition if I already have conop bracers crafted? I haven't played enough with the spell regeneration items to know if having more than one on a character at a time is of any benefit.

I was looking to make a greensteel QS for my wizard, and can't find a combo that would be worth tossing my thaumatargy quarterstaff I have now. The exceptional bonuses to INT are nice, and if I could get both INT and something like CON on it that would be cool, but outdoing the Universal Spell Power, Spellcasting implement, and (current)72 for both cold and acid looks like it would be impossible (no I didn't read further into the comments. I'm lazy)

Drekisen
08-28-2012, 03:45 PM
My PM only makes GS staves for use in melee.....I'm a purest and I do not believe in Master's Touch.

That being said a triple positive is great for undead and I am currently working on making a Lightning Strike and probably an Ennervation staff.

I do love Staffs...I am even working on making some real ones here at home :D Have to be lucky for a good fallen limb tho if you're not into cutting down trees just for your artistic whims...which I am not...fortunately I have gotten lucky twice in the past year :D