PDA

View Full Version : Dilettant choice

Grifarr
09-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Im planning on TRing my human main back to her original build of 12/6/2 fighter/ranger/rogue as Im miss a few features of the original versus her current build. I don't have monk for evasion and want high UMD so rogue is a must, ranger gets me the manyshot I want for times I need to range and bulls strength (though Im torn on spending the feats to qualify for tempest I). Where my indecision and questions arrise is on the choice of race. I now have access to half-elf but am undecided if it's worth dropping the free human feat in exchange for the dilettante feat.

Rogue seems to be the best choice for Dilletant but doesn't stack with class sneak attack. Further enhancements could bring that to 3d6 but is there a better choice? Am I further ahead to stick with human for an additional feat and 24 more skill points?

Priorities:

DPS
UMD

grodon9999
09-02-2011, 03:44 PM
2 Monk, rogue dilly. here's my idea: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=3996164#post3996164

Ironforge_Clan
09-02-2011, 03:46 PM
I'll counter with 2 rogue and monk dilly...gets some AC and more healing amp :D

Edit: grodon's build is pretty solid but other than some minor differences I don't think either would be all that bad.

Tuney
09-02-2011, 03:48 PM
If you are going to have at least a base 13 cha, you could use Paladin. That will get you up to +5 to all saves if your cha is at a 20 and access to Silver flame or Soverin host follower (+1 to bow or Longsword). Monk , if for some reason, AC was a concern to grant a bit of your wisdom to AC mod as well as extra healing amp.

Barb dilly for you only grants access to +1 barb con and increasing the dr which is a waste with a starting dr 1/-. All 4 caster Dillies are a bit of a wash if you are going to work on UMD , only helps early game when UMD score sucks. Bard is pointless.

So about the only other reason for being a Half-elf would have been if you wanted access to full Arcane Archer on your build but doesn't sound like you do.

Well this is just my simple take on it.

smyter
09-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Pally may work for you.
Bonus to saves (up to +5 of your cha modifier)
Bonus to-hit longbows (silver flame)

kanbeki
09-02-2011, 05:22 PM
I'd say its down to barb or paladin on that build, do u want more hp or more saves?

Pape_27
09-02-2011, 05:37 PM
based on the build, I would not go helf. stay human for the extra feat or horc for the str bonuses.

If you do go helf, Barb would be your only choice. you dont want to waste build points to hit the 13 needed for say a Pally dilly.

Luckness
09-02-2011, 05:59 PM
In this case I really say screw it, human is better.

Paladin Dilly for 5 saves at a substantial cost to your build on CHA? Much cheaper ways to get a good reflex.

Spend 3 AP to get 20 HP or just buy an additional Toughness for 22 HP on human for 0 AP? Go Human.

1 skill point per level? Fabulous for doing a rogue splash.

On another note:

Splashing 6 Ranger and not getting Tempest I, especially when you've already got the Fighter feats, is not a good idea to my mind. Sure it's 3 feats to buy 10% offhand attack proc, with only Spring Attack being useful on any build (4 more attack when running around, which everyone does). But it's the best thing that 6 Ranger brings to your DPS, and you're already running with sufficient feats for stacking multiple Toughness, so you should cover your DPS first.

7 feats, 1 human bonus feat, 7 fighter bonus feats, TWFx2 free from 6 Ranger.

You still need to buy gTWF, Imp Critical, Power Attack, Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, Greater Weapon Specialization, Exotic Weapon Proficiency Khopesh, and possibly Quickdraw for DPS. That's 8 feats. Starting with 15 feats, you have 7 left.

Even after spending three more feats to get Tempest I, you'll still have 4 left. Even with yet another luxury like Skill Focus UMD or maybe with a past life feat, you're stacking Toughness at least 3 times.

And how much DPS is it? A moderately geared player will easily be doing about 100 average damage with the offhand. Getting to deal it on another 10% of swings translates into another 10 damage per "swing" (going from 80 to 90 because your proc chance goes from 80% to 90%). This is comparable to the +4 damage to each hand (also about 10 damage per "swing" counting crits) that every level 12+ Fighter buys with Weapon Focus / Weapon Specialization / Greater Weapon Specialization. In short... entirely worth it.

Therigar
09-02-2011, 06:11 PM
Something to think about....

Why do you want UMD? If it is to use gear then go for it. If it is to use scrolls then maybe you'd be better off with a divine or arcane dilettante.

Think about it. You don't get a really useful UMD until pretty late if your main purpose is scrolls. With the dilly you will be able to use scrolls (& wands) as a L12 equivalent. That is going to be good enough in most cases for what you'll want to do.

It doesn't mean not taking UMD as well. It just gives another avenue for you to get a skill maybe earlier.

I would recommend Wizard dilettante because you probably have a relatively high INT for the skill points.

OTOH, if you dump everything but STR, DEX and CON then you are limited in any case. In that situation might as well go Barbarian.

Grifarr
09-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Thanks for all the input. My main use for UMD is for heal scrolls as I have clickies for fire shield, displacement and stoneskin

Althought the +5 saves of the pali dilettante are very appealing (and the required charisma contributing to UMD) I certainly see the cost in AP for more toughness or other enhancements. Still going to toy with a pali dilettante build on the generator to see how it pans out but Im thinking a barb dilettante or human for feat and more skills will win out.