PDA

View Full Version : Newb time-my favored soul build (revised)

Quetzacoala
08-31-2011, 09:48 PM
My original project was to create an elf favored soul who dual wielded scimitars with respectable dps and without gimping his healing abilities. My reasoning was that the Valener elf enhancements and the Favored of the Undying Court line would significantly boost the dps and to hit of the build; while this is true, I now believe there is a better way.

Having never played a half elf before, I had not previously considered the possibilities of making this build a half elf instead of an elf. Then Luckness pointed out some extremely useful traits of half elfs-ones which left the Valener elf enhancements in the dust. Rogue dilettante for 3d6 sneak attack damage, racial toughness III, healing amplification, easier stat distribution-never realized the great potential in the half elf race. And all I lose is +2 to hit and damage-which is more than made up for by the sneak attack damage alone.

The following are the reasons I feel this build has potential:

The Favored of the Undying Court line give bonuses to hit and to damage with scimitars

Favored Soul self buffs will increase to hit and damage, as well as various other effects

The Favored Soul prestige, while made primarily for offensive casting specced favored souls, has good bonuses for melee favored souls as well

The Favored Soul capstone and the 10 DR... enough said

The free Favored Soul resists, not fantastic but worth mentioning, good for dealing with with those pesky DOTs

Favored Soul healing, obvious but has to be said

Rogue dilettante gives +3d6 sneak attack damage

Healing amplification so I self heal for more

Half elves get pointy ears

So without further ado...

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.09.02
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Phaerak Shadowsworn
Level 20 Lawful Good Half-Elf Male
(20 Favored Soul)
Hit Points: 322
Spell Points: 1951
BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
Fortitude: 15
Reflex: 16
Will: 11

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 17 25
Dexterity 15 18
Constitution 14 16
Intelligence 8 8
Wisdom 8 8
Charisma 13 19

Tomes Used
+2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
+2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
+2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
+2 Tome of Charisma used at level 7

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 20)
Balance 2 4
Bluff 1 4
Concentration 6 26
Diplomacy 1 4
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle 1 4
Heal -1 -1
Hide 2 4
Intimidate 1 4
Jump 3 7
Listen -1 -1
Move Silently 2 4
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a
Repair -1 -1
Search -1 1
Spot -1 1
Swim 3 7
Tumble n/a n/a
Use Magic Device n/a n/a

Level 1 (Favored Soul)
Feat: (Deity) Favored by the Undying Court
Feat: (Half-Elf Dilettante) Half-Elf Dilettante: Rogue
Feat: (Selected) Two Weapon Fighting

Level 2 (Favored Soul)

Level 3 (Favored Soul)
Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 4 (Favored Soul)
Ability Raise: STR

Level 5 (Favored Soul)
Feat: (Favored Soul Bonus) Energy Resistance: Fire

Level 6 (Favored Soul)
Feat: (Selected) Maximize Spell

Level 7 (Favored Soul)

Level 8 (Favored Soul)

Level 9 (Favored Soul)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Weapon Fighting

Level 10 (Favored Soul)
Feat: (Favored Soul Bonus) Energy Resistance: Electricity

Level 11 (Favored Soul)

Level 12 (Favored Soul)
Feat: (Selected) Power Attack

Level 13 (Favored Soul)

Level 14 (Favored Soul)

Level 15 (Favored Soul)
Feat: (Favored Soul Bonus) Energy Resistance: Acid
Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Weapon Fighting

Level 16 (Favored Soul)

Level 17 (Favored Soul)

Level 18 (Favored Soul)
Feat: (Selected) Quicken Spell

Level 19 (Favored Soul)

Level 20 (Favored Soul)
Feat: (Deity) Favored Soul Damage Reduction: Cold Iron
Enhancement: Favored Soul Ascendency: Undying Court
Enhancement: Undying Call
Enhancement: Favored Soul Angel of Vengeance I
Enhancement: Favored Soul Scimitar Specialization I
Enhancement: Favored Soul Scimitar Specialization II
Enhancement: Improved Rogue Dilettante I
Enhancement: Improved Rogue Dilettante II
Enhancement: Human Adaptability Strength I
Enhancement: Human Greater Adaptability Charisma I
Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery I
Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery II
Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
Enhancement: Favored Soul Prayer of Life I
Enhancement: Favored Soul Prayer of Life II
Enhancement: Favored Soul Prayer of Life III
Enhancement: Favored Soul Prayer of Incredible Life I
Enhancement: Favored Soul Prayer of Incredible Life II
Enhancement: Favored Soul Prayer of Incredible Life III
Enhancement: Favored Soul Smiting I
Enhancement: Favored Soul Smiting II
Enhancement: Favored Soul Life Magic I
Enhancement: Favored Soul Life Magic II
Enhancement: Favored Soul Life Magic III
Enhancement: Favored Soul Life Magic IV
Enhancement: Favored Soul Energy of the Scion I
Enhancement: Favored Soul Energy of the Scion II
Enhancement: Favored Soul Energy of the Scion III
Enhancement: Favored Soul Charisma I
Enhancement: Half-Elf Rogue Dexterity I
Enhancement: Favored Soul Toughness I
Enhancement: Favored Soul Toughness II
Enhancement: Favored Soul Toughness III
Enhancement: Favored Soul Toughness IV
Enhancement: Favored Soul Wand and Scroll Mastery I

Of course, there are almost certainly things which could be improved upon in this build. I would really appreciate any constructive criticism you can offer-however, I would appreciate it if people would refrain from saying 'Your build sucks', without at least clearly stating why it sucks. Otherwise how do I fix it?

I have a few questions I would appreciate having answered by someone who is more experienced at end game content than I am (in other words, basically anyone.) Is this build going to be viable at end game, both in dps and in healing? Are there better feats than the ones I selected for the purposes of this build? Would the world be a better place if everyone had pointy ears?

This is a repost of an earlier post detailing my plans for an elf favored soul that dual wields scimitars. I reposted due to the fact that I had accidently confused this build with my elf paladin (both divine elves which dual wield scimitars) and tagged it (or whatever the technical term for it is) as a paladin build. I also tried to address some of the issues brought to my attention in the process of reposting. Thank you very much all who responded to my first post!

Luckness
08-31-2011, 10:35 PM
The build will be fully capable as a healer, in the right hands. It will not be as good at melee as a dedicated melee class build would be, but that is the nature of the beast.

Strength determines hit and damage and could benefit even from just an extra +1 at creation. I'd suggest:
17 STR / 15 DEX / 14 CON / 12 CHA.

With a 12 starting CHA you'll still get up to a naked 18 through capstone, Charisma II enhancement, and +2 CHA tome. This will keep you casting through Disjunction or some minor stat damage. The only benefit of stacking even more CHA is a little bit more SP, which will seldom impact your gameplay the way that less hit/damage will.

You have some options for multiclassing, but keeping it pure is a very strong choice as well. Choosing Elf as a race for a TWF FvS makes a lot of sense. The +4 damage from FvS and +2 from race will not so easily be overcome by khopesh damage on a FvS, the extra +3 hit from class and race is further welcomed, and the scimitar is easily the best of the 1 handed melee weapons with faith enhancements.

If you did multiclass, the most likely option is 2 Monk, it will let you get Power Attack and another feat of your choosing, along with evasion. It's a pretty decent trade as far as multiclasses go.

You got some very good feedback in the other thread (thank those posters there):

Pure 20 FvS with Half-Elf rogue dilly will get 3d6 sneak attack damage, which should be better than +2 damage and +2 hit. You'd be able to hit 15 DEX and 14 CON at less cost, allowing you to max out STR or get more CON. You'd also get useful adaptability enhancements, racial toughness III, and healing amp.

Taking Power Attack instead of Imp Critical and making sure to get Keen on at least one of your scimitars. This is probably the best way to go on a feat-starved build, as passing on either of these feats or on the TWF feats kills your DPS substantially.

Quetzacoala
09-01-2011, 03:44 PM
Thank you very much for the reply Luckness. Helped me quite a lot, as I am relatively new to building an effective melee specced caster.

Your point about my stat distribution makes a lot of sense-definitely going to do as you suggested there.

I understand that multiclassing brings some great things to the table, but I think that the favored soul capstone and the 10 DR which accompanies it is too great to pass up. Also, I do not feel comfortable playing multiclassed toons, no matter how logical the multiclass is-weird, right?

As to the possibility of making a Half Elf... initially, I was opposed to the idea of making this build a half elf instead of an elf. Now though, I think that you were correct about half elves dealing more damage than their elven cousins. If that is true though... is there any reason to play an elf anymore? Has an entire race been gimped?

Regarding your suggestion about taking power attack instead of improved crit-is power attack better when wielding a keen weapon? I have no idea myself, as I primarily play casters.

Also, about your comment that I should thank those who responded to my first post, I heartily agree, I could have sworn I put it somewhere in this post, but if I didn't... thank you so much! You guys were a great help to me as I edited this build, would have gimped myself otherwise.

Luckness
09-02-2011, 07:36 PM
If that is true though... is there any reason to play an elf anymore? Has an entire race been gimped?
Well, that seems to be the consensus, for the most part. :P

Regarding your suggestion about taking power attack instead of improved crit-is power attack better when wielding a keen weapon?
That's not it. A keen weapon makes improved crit redundant, because the keen attribute provides that feat without you having to select it... you get it by virtue of wielding that weapon. This allows you to make room for another feat. The tradeoff is then a weapon modifier on one of your two weapons, versus power attack (5 damage on each hand). The tradeoff will be worth it, especially if you ever craft a greensteel min2, which has complimentary keen.

Quetzacoala
09-02-2011, 09:50 PM
That's not it. A keen weapon makes improved crit redundant, because the keen attribute provides that feat without you having to select it... you get it by virtue of wielding that weapon. This allows you to make room for another feat. The tradeoff is then a weapon modifier on one of your two weapons, versus power attack (5 damage on each hand). The tradeoff will be worth it, especially if you ever craft a greensteel min2, which has complimentary keen.

Well, that makes sense, thank you for clearing that up. Kind of sad that they gimped an entire race though... hope that they somehow rectify that in the future.