PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Iccir's Badger, a Ranger from Glasgow 12/6/2

Arshan
08-24-2011, 10:29 AM
First of all, this build comes from a friend of mine, the titlequoted Iccir, who actually wanted to make a decent ranger life for his completionnist toon. I dont know if he really mind if i share it, i guess it's not a secret or whatever, but it is actually a very solid build. I've been playing a blitz on my main (life 3) on Sarlona, and a couple of melee TRs, i really felt in love with that RANGER, while most of the other melees expect tempests to be "wannabe melee dps".

It's first of all a ranger, but only ranger by the name. Dont expect this toon to play like a casual tempest. This toon plays like a barb, and we can compare it to the (famous : http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=264744 - note : i'll try to stick to your setup in term of build presentation nick, i find it really clear and relevant for a melee build) blitz in term of playstyle.
The main goal of this build is to dps of course, but some variations on the feats can offer various possibilities, and a great versatility potential, due to the ranger line that offers many free feats... with no stats requirements. You basically takes everything which is good from tempest, and let the rest behind.
Speaking of dps, we almost necesseraly speak of huge strenght. I broke the 90 pretty easily with some buffs, and you can expect a really easy sustained 70 when tanking or other. The barbarian past life feat granting you extra bonuses on rages is something you can really rely on for this build.

True Neutral Half-Orc : 12 Ranger (Tempest II) / 6 Barbarian (Frenzy I) / 2 Fighter

Note : the + on the stats means that you can easily sustain a wee more, but i take the lowest number you can get with one of the ideal gear setup. I assume the abishai set fits very well to the build, but a combo red helm + madstone is also awesome. A mix of both works wonder too. Will speak about gear later on

STATISTICS : On a 36 points build :

STR = 62+ [20 + 5(Lvl), 3(Tome), 6 or 7(Item) 3(Exc.), 3(enhancement), 2(Ram's might), 2(Rage Spell), 2 (Yugoloth) 10(Rage and Frenzy+HO) 2(Madstone) 2(Guild) 3 (Abishai Might)
DEX = 20+ [12 + 2(Tome), 6(Item) ]
CON = 44+ [18 +3 (Tome), 6-7(Item) 3(Exc.), 2(Rage Spell), 2 (Yugoloth) 6(Rage), 4(Madstone)]
INT = 8 [6 + 2 (Tome)]
WIS = 14 [8 + 2 Tome +6 Item]
CHA = 14 [6 +2 Tome + 6-7 Item]

Taking human instead of half orc is also an excellent choice, due to the extra feat. Feats lack is one of the weak point of the build.
You would then go for 18 str and 18 con base, and the remaining points can be slot in dexterity if you plan to rely on evasion that can actually ALMOST be decent, but i would maybe recommend to put that in charisma if you plan to use intimidate or UMD. My friend and i are running in epic marilith chain and we are GLAD to not rely on evasion for this sexy frogskin.

Since there are a lot of way to lvl this toon, i dont necesseraly recommend to follow what i'll advise next, though doing it this way was fun and rewarding.

I personnaly went for 1 ranger, then 1 barb, then full ranger until lvl 13 to have tempest II as soon as possible. The barbarian lvl was here to run quicker and to grant me the profeciency with THF weapons for lvling until lvl 12.
Then i took my 2 fighter lvls (14 and 15) to balance the lack of feats i experienced during these 12 first levels.
Then you can simply go barb until 20, and enjoy your frenzy. This way is in my opinion the most efficient, mainly because you get your TWF feats for free on the way to tempest II, allowing you to use your litII peshes as soon as you feel like it. While if you wait too much to take your ranger lvls, you may have to stay THF a little longer. SoS is good to lvl, but the 20% proc off hand on a tempest II is very sexy on litII.

FEATS :

Here are the feats and the orders i took these :

1 : Power Attack
2 : Dodge (note : you need 13 dext to take this feat so you'll have to take a whatever feat, eat a +1 tome and go swap feat to get dodge)
3 : Mobility
4 : Spring attack
5 : Improved Critical : Slashing
6 : Khopesh profeciency
7 : Thoughness *
8 : Berserker's fury (barbarian past life)
9 : Cleave

* Thoughness is here what i would call a remotable feat. Indeed, the build ends up with a easy 500 HP (including thoughness item and GFL) at lvl 20. So it's easy to work on 550 base with a GS HP item and some basic buffs. If you just want to go for dps, i GREATLY recommend to take quickdraw. As i said previously, the build really misses feats, so you have to make choices (human is a good way to avoid that lack of feats... though less dps). Paladin past life is also great to fit there.
My choice went for thoughness cause i plan to tank. Indeed i sit on a 620 base HP, so it's very easy to go scratch the 850, or even 900+ when well buffed (i hit once 1030 with full buffs, not sustainable at all, but that gives you an idea). With some healing amp you are really fine on horoth.

Since i heavily suck at computing to hit, hit points and stuff, i can't give your concrete values but what i've seen by myself.
Normally buffed, you can expect + 55 to hit on average, +60 on favored enemy.
For the damages, a solid +50 in general, but with some buffs you easily reach +70 +75 on favored enemy.

SAVES :

Here are my base saves with +2 good luck. I let you compute by yourself how much you can get with GH and some buffs.

Fort : 34
Reflex : 22
Will : 15

Will isnt sexy at all but you know a lot of barbs with 40+ will saves ? :p Reflex can be buffed easily but i dont care at all about it, except maybe when i lead von6, you can totally have a parasitic +10 reflex saves slotted in these very particular situations.

ENHANCEMENTS :

Ranger 19 AP

Favored Damage III 6AP
Tempest II 6AP
Dexterity II 6AP (it's a prerequisite for tempest II... just saying :p)
Sprint boost 1AP

Barbarian 28 AP

Extra Rage II 3AP
Extended Rage II 3AP
Power Rage II 3AP
Hardy Rage II 3AP
Power Attack II 3AP
Thoughness II 3AP
Constituation II 6AP
Frenzied Berserker I 4AP

Fighter 3 AP

Haste Boost I 1AP
Strenght I 2AP

Half Orc 24 AP

PA III 6AP
Extra Action Boost III 6 AP
Strength II 6AP
Rage str II 3AP
Racial Toughness II 3AP

Here are 74 Action Points. Feel free to take what you need with the 6 points remaining. Some brute fighting can be useful if you plan to tank. ( I had it then i dropped it cause 20% threat with claw set is WIDELY ENOUGH for any situation when you are geared). If you miss to hit, the favored enemy to hit is good too. Skill : intimidate if you want to intimi... You have plenty of choices anyway.

SKILLS

I'll prolly scare many people, but i didnt go for UMD. I assume that rages and madstone kinda ruin umd, and since i have all my gear, i dont need to use items requiring a lot of umd. I actually went for intimidate, that can be useful sometimes. I didnt use it so far, maybe a LR incoming ?
I would basically recommend to choose a skill or two you want to max and work on it.

GEAR

Once again i'll refeer to the great blitz post by Nick Robinsonchia : http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=264744. The gear setup i recommend is EXACTLY the same.

I dare a copy/paste (with a few changes.) :

Head - Epic Helm of Frost/Red Dragon helm w/ GFL
Necklace - Shintao (note : the +6 wisdom is USEFUL since it allows you to cast your spells without having to hotswap something to have enough wisdom ^^)
Trinket - Epic Bloodstone/Litany/Epic Brawn Spirit u11 (if u plan to use intimidate)
Cloak - Epic envenomed Cloak w/slotted Toughness
Goggles - Tharnes/Greensteel HP Item
Gloves - Epic Gloves of the Claw/ Epic Charged Gauntlets (if you dont plan tanking... imho the 30% healing amp on claw is too sexy to be avoided by charged but well... if u dont tank)
Belt - Ravager
Boots - Epic Boots of Corrosion /Madstone
Bracers - Epic Bracers of the Claw/Epic Scorched Bracers (why not if you want a 5 Pieces abishai set after all...)
R1 - Ravager w/ +2 exc Str
R2 - Shintao/Kensai w/ +20% Healing Amp
Body - (Epic or not, base item is awesome too) Marilith Chain/Red Dragonscale. w/slotted Luck and + 6Dex

That's it, please forgive me for the lack of accuracy in all my numbers, and also, i hope the similarity with the blitz thread wont hurt or annoy anyone. I also hope haggis, i mean Iccir, wont mind seeing me spreading the build he forced me to try (no he didnt, i was glad to try it ! and even more to play it now) since he knew it was awesome by having the same. So thanks to Iccir !

To put it in a nutshell, this ranger IS a ranger, that doesnt play at all like a casual ranger, since you are raged and hitting like a brute all the time.

It may remind you of...

http://thumbs.myopera.com/sz/colx/S-Priest/albums/98449/Minsc.png

GO FOR THE EYES BOO, GO FOR THE EYES !

Ya, this build just misses a hamster

Edit 01/09/2010 :

Having a lot of request for this build especially about a 32 points version, and the gear that a first life should use, here it is.

For the stats, basically you can simply go for what is advised previously, withdrawing 2 con points, which gives u the opportunity to put 13 in dext and no need for +1 tome at lvl 3 :)

STR : 18 (20 if half orc)
DEXT : 14
CON : 16 (18 if dwarf)
rest 8 or less, it doenst really matter

Leveling progression is the same, nothing changes at all you can refeer to the previous section

For the gear, i made a really easy to get list of items that fit really well to the build. Anyone should be able to get all of these without farming and some help of friends.

Head - Minos Legens (Necro IV)
Necklace - ...
Trinket - Bloodstone
Cloak - ...
Goggles - Tharnes (VoD) or Lenses of opportunity (Acute Delirium)
Gloves - Fabricator Gauntlets (Cannith Manufactury slayers)
Belt - ... (epic spare hand can be there if you use improved sunder for example)
Boots - Madstone
Bracers - Fabricators bracers (Blown to bits)
R1 - ... (epic ring of the stalker quite easy to get and nice synergy)
R2 - ...
Body - Epic Deneith HEavy chain is quite easy to get. Otherwise parasitic breatplaste works pretty well. Ideally a Marilith chain if u can run some elite DQ, it drops pretty often on elite and mainly casters do it for the torc so more chances to get it.

All the ... are representing a random + 6 stat possible crafted item, tod belts and necklace are doing fine too. Note that since challenge items are easy to get it's a good idea to invest some time there and get some epic items.

Weapons : The challenges weapons are nice for a starts. If you want lvling khopeshes, 2 hooked blades upgraded from lordsmach plaza P2P chain would do wonder. Don't forget crafted weapons if you can craft yourself or if a friend can help you.

For race, i'd advise to start with human or half elf, dwarf is an easy choice too and dwarven axes are less expensives than peshes.

LEVELING GUIDE FOR FIRST LIFER :

Few notes : I choosed half orc for the plan, but it's VERY easy to change race. I indeed didnt take any race-related enhancement, so that you can simply allocate the 27 remaining points wherever you wish :)
Just reminding for stats :
Human & Half elf => 18 str rest is same
Dwarf & Warforged => 18 str but 18 con

I choosed to take a fighter level first, mainly for the lack of feats i had to face at low levels, and to be able to afford thougness quicker (you don't want to run around with less than 100 HP until lvl 8... you should be able to reach it at lvl 3 this way).
You can switch thoughness by power attack at level 1, and take thoughness quicker, but full power attack takes effect at level 5 so you can prolly wait lvl 9 on a first life...
On a 36 points build you may want to take a barbarian level first for the extra run speed.
Quite important also, if you are new to DDO, you may not be able to afford decent khopeshes. I recommend you to choose scimitars instead (which saves a feat) OR dwarven axes if you are a dwarf obviously (saving a feat here too).

Overall on a first life as i said higher in this message, i recommend the dwarf. More con => more HP and longer rages, affordability of dwarven axes + 1 feat. And extra damage on axes.

If you wish to slot a tactic feat on the extra feat you may have, or if you want to drop quickdraw or thoughness for it, you totally can. On a first life i would more focus on general efficiency than a stunner or sunderer role, but it WORKS. Though you will want some items for it to be really efficient so it depends on how familiar to melees in ddo you are. I personnaly took improved sunder.

About the favored enemies, pretty obvious choice to me : giant because it covers a LOT of mobs while leveling (can be replaced by undead for the leveling. Lot of them on the way to 20), evil outsider for almost all the endgame stuff, construct for Cannith content.

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.11.02
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Francis Badger
Level 20 True Neutral Half-Orc Male
(2 Fighter \ 6 Barbarian \ 12 Ranger)
Hit Points: 370
Spell Points: 140
BAB: 20\20\25\30\30
Fortitude: 21
Reflex: 13
Will: 6

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 20 28
Dexterity 13 17
Constitution 16 20
Intelligence 6 8
Wisdom 9 11
Charisma 6 8

Tomes Used
+2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
+2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
+2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
+2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7
+2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7
+2 Tome of Charisma used at level 7

Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 20)
Balance 1 3
Bluff -2 -1
Concentration 3 5
Diplomacy -2 -1
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle -2 -1
Heal -1 0
Hide 1 3
Intimidate -2 -1
Jump 5 9
Listen -1 0
Move Silently 1 3
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a
Repair -2 -1
Search -2 -1
Spot -1 0
Swim 5 9
Tumble n/a n/a
Use Magic Device n/a n/a

Level 1 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Dodge
Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 2 (Ranger)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Giant

Level 3 (Ranger)
Feat: (Selected) Mobility

Level 4 (Ranger)

Level 5 (Ranger)

Level 6 (Ranger)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Evil Outsider
Feat: (Selected) Spring Attack

Level 7 (Ranger)

Level 8 (Ranger)

Level 9 (Ranger)
Feat: (Selected) Power Attack

Level 10 (Ranger)

Level 11 (Ranger)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Construct

Level 12 (Ranger)
Feat: (Selected) Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Khopesh

Level 13 (Ranger)

Level 14 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Cleave

Level 15 (Barbarian)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons

Level 16 (Barbarian)

Level 17 (Barbarian)

Level 18 (Barbarian)
Feat: (Selected) Quick Draw

Level 19 (Barbarian)

Level 20 (Barbarian)
Enhancement: Barbarian Damage Boost I
Enhancement: Barbarian Damage Boost II
Enhancement: Fighter Haste Boost I
Enhancement: Barbarian Sprint Boost I
Enhancement: Barbarian Extend Rage I
Enhancement: Barbarian Extend Rage II
Enhancement: Barbarian Extra Rage I
Enhancement: Barbarian Extra Rage II
Enhancement: Barbarian Hardy Rage I
Enhancement: Barbarian Hardy Rage II
Enhancement: Barbarian Power Attack I
Enhancement: Barbarian Power Attack II
Enhancement: Barbarian Power Rage I
Enhancement: Barbarian Power Rage II
Enhancement: Barbarian Frenzied Berserker I
Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
Enhancement: Ranger Favored Attack I
Enhancement: Ranger Favored Damage I
Enhancement: Ranger Favored Damage II
Enhancement: Ranger Tempest I
Enhancement: Ranger Tempest II
Enhancement: Barbarian Constitution I
Enhancement: Barbarian Constitution II
Enhancement: Ranger Dexterity I
Enhancement: Ranger Dexterity II
Enhancement: Fighter Strength I
Enhancement: Barbarian Toughness I
Enhancement: Barbarian Toughness II

For a 28 pts :

Prefered dropping some strength to balance the overall lack of points.

Francis Badger
Spell Points: 161
Reflex: 14
Will: 7

(28 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 18 26
Dexterity 14 18
Constitution 16 20
Intelligence 6 8
Wisdom 10 12
Charisma 6 8

Tomes Used

Balance 2 4
Bluff -2 -1
Concentration 3 5
Diplomacy -2 -1
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle -2 -1
Heal 0 1
Hide 2 4
Intimidate -2 -1
Jump 4 8
Listen 0 1
Move Silently 2 4
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a
Repair -2 -1
Search -2 -1
Spot 0 1
Swim 4 8
Tumble n/a n/a
Use Magic Device n/a n/a

Level 1 (Fighter)

Level 2 (Ranger)

Level 3 (Ranger)

Level 4 (Ranger)

Level 5 (Ranger)

Level 6 (Ranger)

Level 7 (Ranger)

Level 8 (Ranger)

Level 9 (Ranger)

Level 10 (Ranger)

Level 11 (Ranger)

Level 12 (Ranger)

Level 13 (Ranger)

Level 14 (Fighter)

Level 15 (Barbarian)

Level 16 (Barbarian)

Level 17 (Barbarian)

Level 18 (Barbarian)

Level 19 (Barbarian)

Level 20 (Barbarian)

Always ready for more questions either on forum or on Sarlona (probably on the first toon of my signature) :)

LolWutRoflstomped
08-24-2011, 10:43 AM
Going to go seeker 10 weapon and epic red now tarny?

Arshan
08-24-2011, 10:56 AM
For my evasion <3 ? Rofl dustbin evasion it's good for rogue not for tanks.

Dragbon
08-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Nice build I am going to have to try it and see what its like.

LafoMamone
08-24-2011, 05:12 PM
With regards to Iccir: since I know that scottish drunkard quite well (he absolutely refuses to play DDO sober :p ), I think you should mention that being drunk while playing this build adds 20% doublestrike chance.

Not sure if it's actual damage or just seeing double from all the alcohol, but it works either way. ;)

Good build, btw. Had several discussions with him about it, and have also seen him in action a few times. Quite impressive.

Arshan
08-25-2011, 01:31 AM
being drunk while playing this build adds 20% doublestrike chance.
I'm doing fine without it though :p

Good build, btw. Had several discussions with him about it, and have also seen him in action a few times. Quite impressive.
Everything that i say in this thread is almost for the half from Iccir's mouth. And indeed i was very impressed by the way it actually performs. The haste boost is really optionnal, since you have 20% proc off hand, but since we necesseraly use it, we have the feeling of a haste boost IV (i've been playing a blitz for 6 months).
Another point is that Iccir is running around with 3 monk past lives, a paly one, barb one of course... among others.

Munesai
09-10-2011, 04:56 AM
I love that you model your build after Minsc.

Emizand
09-10-2011, 05:01 AM
Here are the feats and the orders i took these :
5 : Improved Critical : Headbutt

Fixed it for you. ;-)

Nice build by the way.

Arshan
09-19-2011, 06:47 AM
After few raids played with the new HP and fort, and the nerf of barbarian past life, this build went from a possible tank to a top tier dps melee. The attack speed and the nice survivability makes him really nice wherever i played him, and i can't imagine how tier II (or III...) alchemical weapons will even improve it (ehehe 20% proc off hand = 10% more chance for all the effects on those alchemical to trigger ; more or less).
I suck in calculation, but you can be sure you'll beat almost any other melee dps against any improved fort mob or boss.
Compared to a blitz, again, the non relying on haste boost is awesome on that endurance runs like new Elite ToD.

Dwarf is also a choice to keep in mind. Dwarven axe doesnt really care about fortification, not a crit based weapon like a pesh. And more HP obviously.

To put it in a nutshell, Tarnesh's next TR is far far far away ! He may loose his tank role in the very end game raids, but will be a top dps melee with high survavibility. <3 U11

Iccir's badger is a Wolverine ! :p

Arshan
10-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Updated numbers with the new rage (new barb PL) and some other informations.

Arkadios
10-28-2011, 12:47 PM
Hey nice build i'm lr'ing to it (bump)

Arshan
10-29-2011, 05:17 AM
Hey nice build i'm lr'ing to it (bump)

Which basic class and 32/4/6 build ? :)

Arkadios
11-06-2011, 05:41 AM
Which basic class and 32/4/6 build ? :)

32p May TR at a later date (in which i'll LR again to get the barb past life)

Arshan
01-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Added a part in the first message for all the 32 pts build sending me request by PM to make a personnalized build. Ya it's buildable on a 32 pts build of course.

whereispowderedsilve
01-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Added a part in the first message for all the 32 pts build sending me request by PM to make a personnalized build. Ya it's buildable on a 32 pts build of course.

Hooray!!11 Have had this build bookmarked for like 6+++ months! Awesome/great news! :P! :)!

More questions to follow!

Arshan
01-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Here it is :

Francis Badger

Strength 20 28
Dexterity 13 17
Constitution 16 20
Intelligence 6 8
Wisdom 9 11
Charisma 6 8

Tomes Used

Balance 1 3
Bluff -2 -1
Concentration 3 5
Diplomacy -2 -1
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle -2 -1
Heal -1 0
Hide 1 3
Intimidate -2 -1
Jump 5 9
Listen -1 0
Move Silently 1 3
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a
Repair -2 -1
Search -2 -1
Spot -1 0
Swim 5 9
Tumble n/a n/a
Use Magic Device n/a n/a

Level 1 (Fighter)

Level 2 (Ranger)

Level 3 (Ranger)

Level 4 (Ranger)

Level 5 (Ranger)

Level 6 (Ranger)

Level 7 (Ranger)

Level 8 (Ranger)

Level 9 (Ranger)

Level 10 (Ranger)

Level 11 (Ranger)

Level 12 (Ranger)

Level 13 (Ranger)

Level 14 (Fighter)

Level 15 (Barbarian)

Level 16 (Barbarian)

Level 17 (Barbarian)

Level 18 (Barbarian)

Level 19 (Barbarian)

Level 20 (Barbarian)

Also added it to the top message, including also a 28 pts version

If some people having a 32-28 pts badger have some numbers to give me i would be interested, i don't think it change things a LOT but the past lives i got may help too..

whereispowderedsilve
01-11-2012, 06:00 PM
Here it is :

Francis Badger

Strength 20 28
Dexterity 13 17
Constitution 16 20
Intelligence 6 8
Wisdom 9 11
Charisma 6 8

Tomes Used

Balance 1 3
Bluff -2 -1
Concentration 3 5
Diplomacy -2 -1
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle -2 -1
Heal -1 0
Hide 1 3
Intimidate -2 -1
Jump 5 9
Listen -1 0
Move Silently 1 3
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a
Repair -2 -1
Search -2 -1
Spot -1 0
Swim 5 9
Tumble n/a n/a
Use Magic Device n/a n/a

Level 1 (Fighter)

Level 2 (Ranger)

Level 3 (Ranger)

Level 4 (Ranger)

Level 5 (Ranger)

Level 6 (Ranger)

Level 7 (Ranger)

Level 8 (Ranger)

Level 9 (Ranger)

Level 10 (Ranger)

Level 11 (Ranger)

Level 12 (Ranger)

Level 13 (Ranger)

Level 14 (Fighter)

Level 15 (Barbarian)

Level 16 (Barbarian)

Level 17 (Barbarian)

Level 18 (Barbarian)

Level 19 (Barbarian)

Level 20 (Barbarian)

Also added it to the top message, including also a 28 pts version

If some people having a 32-28 pts badger have some numbers to give me i would be interested, i don't think it change things a LOT but the past lives i got may help too..

This is marvelous! Glad you followed up! I am thinking of TRing 1 of my alts into a 34 point version of this build!

If you would be so kind & find *some* time out of your busy day to help out with some questions/ideas/info direction

that would be super awesome! :P! :)!

Im using tihocan's drow tempest ranger/rogue(18 ranger/1 rogue/1fighter) (sticked at the top of this forum).

http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2800940&postcount=16

http://my.ddo.com/character/orien/gobluejays/ is my current gear load out, now I haven't played this toon in quite

awhile but wanted to just make sure the synergy would work with tring into your build!

What would the stat distribution be as a 34 point build in your opinion?

Should I go half orc or helf with a dilly?

Would you keep the level progression the same or different/change it?

Skill wise I was thinking Intimi/Jump/balance?

Now equipment wise I have a LOT of sets of weapons but slanted towards rapiers! Have some bludgeoning weapons

as well & I do own the challenge pack & have a set group of peeps that grind them out everyday 4 mats so I can

acquire a bunch of those items any ones I should get in particular? (Im thinking the ring of the stalker, possible the

spare hand belt or the blasting chime? Weapon wise the mournlodes 4 undead beaters, the air rapiers, the calomel

rapiers, the khopeshes?)

Would sincerely like your input/info! Keep up the great work! :P! :)!

P.S. Im a ****** for these things so specifics/details would be really awesome!

Arshan
01-12-2012, 04:27 AM
This is marvelous! Glad you followed up! I am thinking of TRing 1 of my alts into a 34 point version of this build!

If you would be so kind & find *some* time out of your busy day to help out with some questions/ideas/info direction

that would be super awesome! :P! :)!

Im using tihocan's drow tempest ranger/rogue(18 ranger/1 rogue/1fighter) (sticked at the top of this forum).

http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2800940&postcount=16

http://my.ddo.com/character/orien/gobluejays/ is my current gear load out, now I haven't played this toon in quite

awhile but wanted to just make sure the synergy would work with tring into your build!

What would the stat distribution be as a 34 point build in your opinion?

Should I go half orc or helf with a dilly?

Would you keep the level progression the same or different/change it?

Skill wise I was thinking Intimi/Jump/balance?

Now equipment wise I have a LOT of sets of weapons but slanted towards rapiers! Have some bludgeoning weapons

as well & I do own the challenge pack & have a set group of peeps that grind them out everyday 4 mats so I can

acquire a bunch of those items any ones I should get in particular? (Im thinking the ring of the stalker, possible the

spare hand belt or the blasting chime? Weapon wise the mournlodes 4 undead beaters, the air rapiers, the calomel

rapiers, the khopeshes?)

Would sincerely like your input/info! Keep up the great work! :P! :)!

P.S. Im a ****** for these things so specifics/details would be really awesome!

I'd definitely go for half elf. The last life i planned for my main if i reach completionnist is the badger half elf version, rogue dilletante (+3D6 SA, period).
Half orc works well, you can simply use the 32 points version i posted, and maybe go for 20 str, 17 constitution and 13 dext. CON is odd but it saves you 4 AP in some extend.

If you keep half elf, here is the way i would go this way :

Level 20 True Neutral Half-Elf Male

(34 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 18 25
Dexterity 13 17
Constitution 17 20
Intelligence 8 10
Wisdom 8 10
Charisma 8 10

Tomes Used

Balance 1 3
Bluff -1 0
Concentration 3 5
Diplomacy -1 0
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle -1 0
Heal -1 0
Hide 1 3
Intimidate -1 0
Jump 4 7
Listen -1 0
Move Silently 1 3
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a
Repair -1 0
Search -1 0
Spot -1 0
Swim 4 7
Tumble n/a n/a
Use Magic Device n/a n/a

Level 1 (Fighter)
Feat: (Half-Elf Dilettante) Half-Elf Dilettante: Rogue
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Ranger

Level 2 (Ranger)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Undead

Level 3 (Ranger)

Level 4 (Ranger)

Level 5 (Ranger)

Level 6 (Ranger)

Level 7 (Ranger)

Level 8 (Ranger)

Level 9 (Ranger)

Level 10 (Ranger)

Level 11 (Ranger)

Level 12 (Ranger)

Level 13 (Ranger)

Level 14 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons

Level 15 (Barbarian)

Level 16 (Barbarian)

Level 17 (Barbarian)

Level 18 (Barbarian)
Feat: (Selected) Cleave

Level 19 (Barbarian)

Level 20 (Barbarian)
Enhancement: Ranger Sprint Boost I
Enhancement: Improved Rogue Dilettante I
Enhancement: Improved Rogue Dilettante II
Enhancement: Human Adaptability Strength I
Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery I
Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery II
Enhancement: Human Versatility I
Enhancement: Human Versatility II
Enhancement: Human Versatility III
Enhancement: Human Versatility IV
Enhancement: Ranger Favored Damage III

2 remaining AP, i only took 1 constitution enhancement for 2 AP, you can go for 3 to save your 17 odd, but i think you should have enough HP anyway, and you save this way 8 AP (10% of your AP for 2 con is meh imo).
Took full dilly obviously, and human versatility (for the damage boost).
This should be the "max" dps version of the build, and you should have some 600ish base HP if not more at 20, and with your healing amp you should be able to tank Horoth with 800ish HP and around 200% healing amp well buffed/geared.

I tanked the LoB on my Half-Orc version, the bow is pretty useful, then it's all about full dps and some reflexes.

For the weapons... no choice for me, if you want to be maxmizing your dps in almost any situation : go khopesh, or dwarven axes (i like dwarf idea i repeat it :p).

Here are my weapons set, for all situations, quite basic :

- 2 litII for general dps and leveling
- Alchemical set : earth I earth II (earth III) main hand / earth I water II (air III) off hand
- Devil beater : +5 silver holy burst khopesh of greater evil outsider bane (i reached over 100 base damage main hand tanking horoth with deadly... i was around 85 base dmg off hand, imagine with the 20% additional proc permanent)
- Demon beater : +5 cold iron holy burst khopesh of greater evil outsider bane (Lailat ALWAYS ends up on me so you can turn her to avoid cometfalls on party)
- Construct beater : +5 holy burst khopesh of greater evil construct bane
- A pair of calomel scimitars for Velah.
- Undead beater : 2 x Greensteel warhammer triple good (they are awesome for leveling too, and INSANE on the abbot or Sorj'ek)
- Destruction set : +5 holy burst khopesh of destruction/ +5 holy burst khopesh of improved destruction

This doesnt include a lot of other sets, but these are the basics every melee should have imo. I have 2 full hotbars of weapons sets so feel free to have a lot of them i use them all (often running around in hooked blades because they look good :p).

Also try to get some bows like epic shatterbow or bow of sinew. You have access to manyshot, so enjoy it :) LoB friendly. Epic Thornlord is cool to obviously.

For the body equipement itself, epic spare hand + ring of the stalker is a real good combination. THOUGH, i would then recommend you to go for improved sunder over quickdraw, OR, going dwarf + dwarven axes over khopeshes and you can afford improved sunder + some tactic bonuses.
Also, the ravager set is SIMPLY 2D6+1 dmg to EACH of your swing. You have 20% additional proc off hand, i would still try to keep the ravager set on. I wouldnt drop it for ANY reason, and you should reach enough strength to not need the +5 tactics on spare hand.
On the other hand, you can totally use ravager ring + ring of the stalker over the shintao set. You got there a free slot for a greensteel HP necklace for example, allowing you the use of tharne's goggles :) For quite insane sneak attack for no rogue level. You should have 3D6 + 8 + 4.
This makes me think about my end build... but i think new items will be released by the time i reach completionnist.

I dont see the point of blasting chime other than a hotswap. Weaken construct is awesome but you don't need it on all the time. A good litany is priceless, or even a bloodstone if you don't use marilith chain.

I tried to answer to everything, if you have anymore question keep going =)

whereispowderedsilve
01-12-2012, 06:09 PM
I'd definitely go for half elf. The last life i planned for my main if i reach completionnist is the badger half elf version, rogue dilletante (+3D6 SA, period).
Half orc works well, you can simply use the 32 points version i posted, and maybe go for 20 str, 17 constitution and 13 dext. CON is odd but it saves you 4 AP in some extend.

If you keep half elf, here is the way i would go this way :

Level 20 True Neutral Half-Elf Male

(34 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 18 25
Dexterity 13 17
Constitution 17 20
Intelligence 8 10
Wisdom 8 10
Charisma 8 10

Tomes Used

Balance 1 3
Bluff -1 0
Concentration 3 5
Diplomacy -1 0
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle -1 0
Heal -1 0
Hide 1 3
Intimidate -1 0
Jump 4 7
Listen -1 0
Move Silently 1 3
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a
Repair -1 0
Search -1 0
Spot -1 0
Swim 4 7
Tumble n/a n/a
Use Magic Device n/a n/a

Level 1 (Fighter)
Feat: (Half-Elf Dilettante) Half-Elf Dilettante: Rogue
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Ranger

Level 2 (Ranger)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Undead

Level 3 (Ranger)

Level 4 (Ranger)

Level 5 (Ranger)

Level 6 (Ranger)

Level 7 (Ranger)

Level 8 (Ranger)

Level 9 (Ranger)

Level 10 (Ranger)

Level 11 (Ranger)

Level 12 (Ranger)

Level 13 (Ranger)

Level 14 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons

Level 15 (Barbarian)

Level 16 (Barbarian)

Level 17 (Barbarian)

Level 18 (Barbarian)
Feat: (Selected) Cleave

Level 19 (Barbarian)

Level 20 (Barbarian)
Enhancement: Ranger Sprint Boost I
Enhancement: Improved Rogue Dilettante I
Enhancement: Improved Rogue Dilettante II
Enhancement: Human Adaptability Strength I
Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery I
Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery II
Enhancement: Human Versatility I
Enhancement: Human Versatility II
Enhancement: Human Versatility III
Enhancement: Human Versatility IV
Enhancement: Ranger Favored Damage III

2 remaining AP, i only took 1 constitution enhancement for 2 AP, you can go for 3 to save your 17 odd, but i think you should have enough HP anyway, and you save this way 8 AP (10% of your AP for 2 con is meh imo).
Took full dilly obviously, and human versatility (for the damage boost).
This should be the "max" dps version of the build, and you should have some 600ish base HP if not more at 20, and with your healing amp you should be able to tank Horoth with 800ish HP and around 200% healing amp well buffed/geared.

I tanked the LoB on my Half-Orc version, the bow is pretty useful, then it's all about full dps and some reflexes.

For the weapons... no choice for me, if you want to be maxmizing your dps in almost any situation : go khopesh, or dwarven axes (i like dwarf idea i repeat it :p).

Here are my weapons set, for all situations, quite basic :

- 2 litII for general dps and leveling
- Alchemical set : earth I earth II (earth III) main hand / earth I water II (air III) off hand
- Devil beater : +5 silver holy burst khopesh of greater evil outsider bane (i reached over 100 base damage main hand tanking horoth with deadly... i was around 85 base dmg off hand, imagine with the 20% additional proc permanent)
- Demon beater : +5 cold iron holy burst khopesh of greater evil outsider bane (Lailat ALWAYS ends up on me so you can turn her to avoid cometfalls on party)
- Construct beater : +5 holy burst khopesh of greater evil construct bane
- A pair of calomel scimitars for Velah.
- Undead beater : 2 x Greensteel warhammer triple good (they are awesome for leveling too, and INSANE on the abbot or Sorj'ek)
- Destruction set : +5 holy burst khopesh of destruction/ +5 holy burst khopesh of improved destruction

This doesnt include a lot of other sets, but these are the basics every melee should have imo. I have 2 full hotbars of weapons sets so feel free to have a lot of them i use them all (often running around in hooked blades because they look good :p).

Also try to get some bows like epic shatterbow or bow of sinew. You have access to manyshot, so enjoy it :) LoB friendly. Epic Thornlord is cool to obviously.

For the body equipement itself, epic spare hand + ring of the stalker is a real good combination. THOUGH, i would then recommend you to go for improved sunder over quickdraw, OR, going dwarf + dwarven axes over khopeshes and you can afford improved sunder + some tactic bonuses.
Also, the ravager set is SIMPLY 2D6+1 dmg to EACH of your swing. You have 20% additional proc off hand, i would still try to keep the ravager set on. I wouldnt drop it for ANY reason, and you should reach enough strength to not need the +5 tactics on spare hand.
On the other hand, you can totally use ravager ring + ring of the stalker over the shintao set. You got there a free slot for a greensteel HP necklace for example, allowing you the use of tharne's goggles :) For quite insane sneak attack for no rogue level. You should have 3D6 + 8 + 4.
This makes me think about my end build... but i think new items will be released by the time i reach completionnist.

I dont see the point of blasting chime other than a hotswap. Weaken construct is awesome but you don't need it on all the time. A good litany is priceless, or even a bloodstone if you don't use marilith chain.

I tried to answer to everything, if you have anymore question keep going =)

Thank you very much! Wow so very helpful & detailed & informative! +1x2 in the past 2 days! :P! :)!

More stuff/questions to follow for clarification in a couple of days! Again thank you so very much! :P! :)!

Blank_Zero
01-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Might look into this for a Ranger life on my main well down the road. Nicely done. I appreciate the nod at the Blitz too.

Arshan
01-13-2012, 04:46 AM
I appreciate the nod at the Blitz too.
I couldnt imagine NOT speaking of the blitz in this thread. First cause it's a great build that inspired many others, and that the way it plays is actually the same. I spent 6 months as a blitz on my main, and if the tactics had remained what they used to be (insta kills kinda killed stun imo), the blitz would be really ahead of the badger in any way.
Now that i've played my blitz as a dps/tank, and considering that barb PL is not THAT good anymore, i find that the badger has more HP and a wider dps versatility (epic shatterbow + manyshot makes him a very nice guy to have along in LoB for example).
As i said in my main post, i like that fact that people expect you to be a weak dps as a ranger icon, and when you come along and land 100+ base damage on your main hand, they ask HOW.
Of course updates coming, no build can remain that good very long, but atm, it's performing really well still.

Blitz is still awesome, but i was personnaly relying a lot on the "i'm a barb" side of the build, thanks to the active barb PL that was granting you 5 Minutes rages (frenzy still there of course). I was perma raging on my blitz life, while i notice that as far as i'm meleeing 99% of the time on badger, my rages are weirdly more situationnal. I think that having those favored enemies helps a lot, even insanely, but it kinda replaces the kensai II prestige in term of output, while you still get your 20% proc off hand.

Anyway, i owe Nick a lot for the work he put on the blitz, i learnt playing thanks to his build, and i didnt think i would find another build i would enjoy as much.

I know your bard build pretty well, we discussed about it once i think, and if you like this kind of toon you shall like the badger. It has the same "inherent spirit within" i would say :p

Daeronzw
04-16-2012, 06:53 AM
Hello there,
I'm about to TR one of my toons into half elf version of this build. I don't want neither I have the half orc, so I decided to go with helf with rogue dilly, which seems to be pretty nice. I have encountered problem in choosing weapon; I don't want kopesh. I already have kopesh using toon, and I don't want to multiple the ideas within my toons' stable. I was checking forums for various tests on other weapons, but I'm still not sure which one to choose. My main interest would fall on rapier OR heavy pick OR scimitars. Which one would pull ahead, make better impression or whatever of those three?

SoSoh
05-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Edit: Never mind, you need cleave for the barbarian prestige.

Arshan
05-07-2012, 04:06 AM
Hello there,
I'm about to TR one of my toons into half elf version of this build. I don't want neither I have the half orc, so I decided to go with helf with rogue dilly, which seems to be pretty nice. I have encountered problem in choosing weapon; I don't want kopesh. I already have kopesh using toon, and I don't want to multiple the ideas within my toons' stable. I was checking forums for various tests on other weapons, but I'm still not sure which one to choose. My main interest would fall on rapier OR heavy pick OR scimitars. Which one would pull ahead, make better impression or whatever of those three?

I would personnaly go for scimitars : easiest way to get an epic version of one, and better look imo.

However, a more general note : with the incoming changes in prestige classes and enhancements in general, i'll totally revamp the build in a version using the racial tree of human or helf to get tempest as a racial prestige, allowing me to take more lvl of fighter, thus more feats.

whereispowderedsilve
05-31-2012, 05:43 PM
So almost finally got my 5th toon capped which is the one I want to TR into this build(I won a TR heart in the lotto!)

See thread here if you don't mind Arshan if you can pull yourself away from the beta: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=375769

Would super greatly appreciate it! Thanks a bunch in advance! :!P :)!