PDA

View Full Version : Wizard Archmage build (need advice and suggestion please)

Henuindohr
08-24-2011, 04:02 AM
I'm not mother tongue thus excause me please for my bad english. I'm planning to play a Warforged archmage, i want to make my toon to be a good caster (i know that best casters are sorc, but i want to play wiz). I posted below the planned build and now i need to identify the weakness and work on them, it's why i really need your tips and adv ices. Thank you in advance for the help!
P.S.: I'll really apprecciate some tips about the equipment

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.09.02
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

uninstalling death
Level 20 Chaotic Neutral Warforged Male
(20 Wizard)
Hit Points: 262
Spell Points: 2007
BAB: 10\10\15\20
Fortitude: 11
Reflex: 14
Will: 10

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 14 14
Dexterity 8 8
Constitution 18 21
Intelligence 18 27
Wisdom 6 6
Charisma 6 6

Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 20)
Balance 1 10
Bluff -2 -2
Concentration 8 32
Diplomacy -2 -2
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle -2 -2
Heal -2 -2
Hide -1 -1
Intimidate -2 -2
Jump 4 13
Listen -2 -2
Move Silently -1 -1
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a
Repair 4 29
Search 4 8
Spot 0 9
Swim 2 2
Tumble 1 10
Use Magic Device 0 9

Level 1 (Wizard)
Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Maximize Spell
Feat: (Selected) Mental Toughness

Level 2 (Wizard)

Level 3 (Wizard)
Feat: (Selected) Spell Focus: Enchantment

Level 4 (Wizard)

Level 5 (Wizard)
Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Heighten Spell

Level 6 (Wizard)
Feat: (Selected) Greater Spell Focus: Enchantment

Level 7 (Wizard)

Level 8 (Wizard)

Level 9 (Wizard)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Mental Toughness

Level 10 (Wizard)
Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Extend Spell

Level 11 (Wizard)

Level 12 (Wizard)
Feat: (Selected) Spell Focus: Conjuration

Level 13 (Wizard)

Level 14 (Wizard)

Level 15 (Wizard)
Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Empower Spell
Feat: (Selected) Insightful Reflexes

Level 16 (Wizard)

Level 17 (Wizard)

Level 18 (Wizard)
Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 19 (Wizard)

Level 20 (Wizard)
Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Quicken Spell
Enhancement: Wizard Master of Magic
Enhancement: Wizard Improved Empowering I
Enhancement: Wizard Improved Maximizing I
Enhancement: Wizard Improved Quickening I
Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
Enhancement: Racial Toughness III
Enhancement: Racial Toughness IV
Enhancement: Improved Concentration I
Enhancement: Improved Concentration II
Enhancement: Improved Concentration III
Enhancement: Improved Concentration IV
Enhancement: Corrosive Spellcasting I
Enhancement: Glacial Spellcasting I
Enhancement: Charged Spellcasting I
Enhancement: Combustive Spellcasting I
Enhancement: Kinetic Spellcasting I
Enhancement: Reconstructive Spellcasting I
Enhancement: Deadly Acid I
Enhancement: Deadly Ice I
Enhancement: Deadly Shocks I
Enhancement: Deadly Flame I
Enhancement: Deadly Kinetics I
Enhancement: Mighty Reconstruction I
Enhancement: Acid Manipulation I
Enhancement: Frost Manipulation I
Enhancement: Storm Manipulation I
Enhancement: Flame Manipulation I
Enhancement: Force Manipulation I
Enhancement: Repair Manipulation I
Enhancement: Wizard Energy of the Scholar I
Enhancement: Wizard Energy of the Scholar II
Enhancement: Wizard Energy of the Scholar III
Enhancement: Wizard Energy of the Scholar IV
Enhancement: Wizard Intelligence I
Enhancement: Wizard Intelligence II
Enhancement: Wizard Intelligence III
Enhancement: Warforged Constitution I
Enhancement: Warforged Constitution II
Enhancement: Warforged Inscribed Armor I
Enhancement: Arcane Bolt
Enhancement: Wizard Archmage I
Enhancement: Wizard Archmage II
Enhancement: Wizard Archmage III
Enhancement: Wizard Archmage IV
Enhancement: Wizard Archmage V
Enhancement: Archmage Secondary Spell Mastery I: Enchantment
Enhancement: Archmage Spell Mastery I: Conjuration

Jiirix
08-24-2011, 04:39 AM
Hello, a few thougths about your build:

- if you want a pure nuker (evocation) sorc servants are really what you are looking for
- archmage wizzies shine more with enchantment (mass hold) and conjuration (never underestimate web) as second mastery
- if you want to play an evocation wizzy you may want to think about splashing two levels of rogue for an awesome wizrouge. That would cost you some DC (capstone) but that's less important on an evocer
- You don't need points into WIS (Will is your strong save anyway) or DEX (you won't get it high enough to do anything for you anyway and ther is the nice feat insightfull reflexes that
- one toughness feat is enough on a 18 COM WF
- you want the maximise feat
- if you are taking rogue levels you need insightfull reflexes for evasion
- skill points in repair are not a good choise, same for tumble. UMD is great.
- my english is bad too ;)
- have fun

Henuindohr
08-24-2011, 05:01 AM
I really apprecciated your thoughts, anyway i need to understand some things you said:
First of all i think that i need more detailed explanation before getting two levels rogue thus i'll go pure wizard by now :)

- You don't need points into WIS (Will is your strong save anyway) or DEX (you won't get it high enough to do anything for you anyway and ther is the nice feat insightfull reflexes that

- I maxed INT and got 18 CON, after that i had some points to spend and i thouth the best choice was to put them in WIS and DEX to avoid The penalties. Do you think i can use the remaining point better?

- you want the maximise feat

i got it

- skill points in repair are not a good choise, same for tumble. UMD is great

i've too much skill point and i don't know where to put them, the only skill i want to max are concentration, UMD and spot.

- my english is bad too ;)

your english works pretty good for me :)

-I'll drop one toughness and i'll get insightfull reflexes without rogue or monk levels (it will work the same?)
-I'll drop evocation and i'll get enchantment as primary spell specialization

Ebonta
08-24-2011, 06:06 AM
I really apprecciated your thoughts, anyway i need to understand some things you said:
First of all i think that i need more detailed explanation before getting two levels rogue thus i'll go pure wizard by now :)

- I maxed INT and got 18 CON, after that i had some points to spend and i thouth the best choice was to put them in WIS and DEX to avoid The penalties. Do you think i can use the remaining point better?

i got it

i've too much skill point and i don't know where to put them, the only skill i want to max are concentration, UMD and spot.

your english works pretty good for me :)

-I'll drop one toughness and i'll get insightfull reflexes without rogue or monk levels (it will work the same?)
-I'll drop evocation and i'll get enchantment as primary spell specialization

Insightful Reflexes will not work the same, it'll just mean more Reflex Saves for you. You'll still take damage on a save because you don't have Evasion.

You also said you wanted some advice on gear, so I'll put in my two cents. You should look into Shroud crafting and make an SP item and an HP item. Also I would take a look at some of the new items coming out in the new pack, they blow quite a few current end-game items out of the water. (Think Epic Staff of Arcane Power and Epic Green Blade rolled into one...). Since you're a Wizard, I would advise getting a +7 INT item, and the only two you can use on a Warforged are the Epic Staff of Inner Sight (from Epic Chains of Flame), or the Epic Diablolist's Docent (from Epic Chronoscope). The Docent is much easier to get in my opinion.

Also, your English is fine.

Jiirix
08-24-2011, 06:16 AM
I would go like that:

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.09.02
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 20 True Neutral Warforged Male
(20 Wizard)
Hit Points: 252
Spell Points: 1751
BAB: 10\10\15\20
Fortitude: 11
Reflex: 15
Will: 10

Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 14 14
Dexterity 8 8
Constitution 18 20
Intelligence 18 28
Wisdom 6 6
Charisma 6 6

Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 20)
Balance 1 10
Concentration 8 31
Haggle -2 8
Hide 0 10
Jump 4 13
Move Silently 1 10
Tumble 0 1
Use Magic Device 0 9

Level 1 (Wizard)
Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Spell Focus: Enchantment
Feat: (Selected) Toughness
Level 3 (Wizard)
Feat: (Selected) Mental Toughness
Level 5 (Wizard)
Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Maximize Spell
Level 6 (Wizard)
Feat: (Selected) Insightful Reflexes
Level 9 (Wizard)
Feat: (Selected) Spell Focus: Conjuration
Level 10 (Wizard)
Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Empower Spell
Level 12 (Wizard)
Feat: (Selected) Greater Spell Focus: Enchantment
Level 15 (Wizard)
Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Heighten Spell
Feat: (Selected) Spell Penetration
Level 18 (Wizard)
Feat: (Selected) Greater Spell Penetration
Level 20 (Wizard)
Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Quicken Spell

Enhancement: Wizard Master of Magic
Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
Enhancement: Racial Toughness III
Enhancement: Improved Concentration I
Enhancement: Improved Concentration II
Enhancement: Improved Concentration III
Enhancement: Corrosive Spellcasting I
Enhancement: Glacial Spellcasting I
Enhancement: Charged Spellcasting I
Enhancement: Combustive Spellcasting I
Enhancement: Kinetic Spellcasting I
Enhancement: Deadly Acid I
Enhancement: Deadly Ice I
Enhancement: Deadly Shocks I
Enhancement: Deadly Flame I
Enhancement: Deadly Kinetics I
Enhancement: Acid Manipulation I
Enhancement: Frost Manipulation I
Enhancement: Storm Manipulation I
Enhancement: Flame Manipulation I
Enhancement: Force Manipulation I
Enhancement: Repair Manipulation I
Enhancement: Wizard Spell Penetration I
Enhancement: Wizard Spell Penetration II
Enhancement: Wizard Spell Penetration III
Enhancement: Wizard Energy of the Scholar I
Enhancement: Wizard Energy of the Scholar II
Enhancement: Wizard Energy of the Scholar III
Enhancement: Wizard Intelligence I
Enhancement: Wizard Intelligence II
Enhancement: Wizard Intelligence III
Enhancement: Wizard Wand and Scroll Mastery I
Enhancement: Warforged Constitution I
Enhancement: Warforged Constitution II
Enhancement: Warforged Healer's Friend I
Enhancement: Warforged Inscribed Armor I
Enhancement: Wizard Archmage I
Enhancement: Wizard Archmage II
Enhancement: Wizard Archmage III
Enhancement: Wizard Archmage IV
Enhancement: Archmage Secondary Spell Mastery I: Conjuration
Enhancement: Archmage Spell Mastery I: Enchantment
Enhancement: Archmage Spell Mastery II: Enchantment
Enhancement: Conjuration I - Grease
Enhancement: Conjuration II - Web
Enhancement: Enchantment I - Hypnotism

If you don't care for half damage on a reflex save you could drop insightful reflexes for extend or greater spell focus conjuration. I took the remaining stat points in STR, because that way you can melee quite good on low levels and don't necessarily need a STR item at end game (frees a slot). CHA would be my second choise for a easier UMD of 20. (But you schould be fine with 6 CHA too: 11 from skill + 1 from a +6 CHA item, 4 from greater heroism + 5 from shroud conopp item = 21)

Henuindohr
08-24-2011, 06:23 AM
Insightful Reflexes will not work the same, it'll just mean more Reflex Saves for you. You'll still take damage on a save because you don't have Evasion.

You also said you wanted some advice on gear, so I'll put in my two cents. You should look into Shroud crafting and make an SP item and an HP item. Also I would take a look at some of the new items coming out in the new pack, they blow quite a few current end-game items out of the water. (Think Epic Staff of Arcane Power and Epic Green Blade rolled into one...). Since you're a Wizard, I would advise getting a +7 INT item, and the only two you can use on a Warforged are the Epic Staff of Inner Sight (from Epic Chains of Flame), or the Epic Diablolist's Docent (from Epic Chronoscope). The Docent is much easier to get in my opinion.

Also, your English is fine.

I'm going to craft and than to loot the docent... Thank you very much!!!

Henuindohr
08-24-2011, 06:28 AM
Thank you again for the help... your tips are allowing me to improve my build :). I've a question:

I would go like that:
I took the remaining stat points in STR, because that way you can melee quite good on low levels and don't necessarily need a STR item at end game (frees a slot).

Probably i'm missing something, you told that i'll need a str item for the end game, it is to avoid to be helpless? sorry but i don't know the end game requirements deep.

Jiirix
08-24-2011, 06:40 AM
Thank you again for the help... your tips are allowing me to improve my build :). I've a question:

Probably i'm missing something, you told that i'll need a str item for the end game, it is to avoid to be helpless? sorry but i don't know the end game requirements deep.

Yes, some strength is good to avoid helplessness. My caster cleric has a starting STR of 14 and with a +2 tome I never had the need to slot extra STR. But my Sorc with only 10 STR is anoying at the moment. To oft burdend or helpless. I think if one can take a -4 penalty and has still 10 or more left that's fine.

And some steathy skills are very nice on a caster, had lot's of fun with it on solo runs. (And WF wizzies are good for group and solo)

Henuindohr
08-24-2011, 06:47 AM
Yes, some strength is good to avoid helplessness. My caster cleric has a starting STR of 14 and with a +2 tome I never had the need to slot extra STR. But my Sorc with only 10 STR is anoying at the moment. To oft burdend or helpless. I think if one can take a -4 penalty and has still 10 or more left that's fine.

And some steathy skills are very nice on a caster, had lot's of fun with it on solo runs. (And WF wizzies are good for group and solo)

I'll put some point in STR :) your thoughts were very usefull... thanks!

Jiirix
08-24-2011, 06:50 AM
You are welcome.

MeatSheild
08-24-2011, 10:22 AM
I'm not sure if some one hit on this or not but after you maxed your int and con if you had points left over grab STR just to help you carry all that loot from those loot heavy quests.

unbongwah
08-24-2011, 02:36 PM
Correct, though I would still take Insightful Reflexes: taking half-dmg is still better than taking full dmg. Personally I would take IR @ lvl 1 and Toughness @ lvl 3; I'm a big believer in boosting your survivability early on. :)

I would probably tweak enhs: add Spell Mastery II for Enchantment, bump up DPS, probably drop Improved metas & some HPs to free up APs. But that's easy enough to respec.

Henuindohr
08-24-2011, 06:21 PM
Correct, though I would still take Insightful Reflexes: taking half-dmg is still better than taking full dmg. Personally I would take IR @ lvl 1 and Toughness @ lvl 3; I'm a big believer in boosting your survivability early on. :)

I would probably tweak enhs: add Spell Mastery II for Enchantment, bump up DPS, probably drop Improved metas & some HPs to free up APs. But that's easy enough to respec.

Thanks for the tip :)
I'll start from the 4th lvl so i'll get Insightful Reflexes, mental Toughness, and maximize spell at the 1st and 3rd level... i agree half damage on saves is a great help.

Jiirix
08-25-2011, 02:06 AM
Don't worry to much about the first life of your wiz. The free past life feat is a bomb:
You were a Wizard in a past life. You occasionally find yourself desiring a good book. Each time you acquire this feat you gain +2 to spell penetration checks

When you have reached 20 and grinded most of the raidloot you want it's time for epics and a true reincarnation anyway. (If you still enjoy playing your wiz.) With the free +2 on spellpenn, more ability points and better gear the second life of a wiz is great fun. As a warforged you can solo until high levels if you want to. Best way to know what build suits you best is playing to 20 and make your personal perfect TR.

Henuindohr
08-25-2011, 03:07 AM
Don't worry to much about the first life of your wiz. The free past life feat is a bomb:
You were a Wizard in a past life. You occasionally find yourself desiring a good book. Each time you acquire this feat you gain +2 to spell penetration checks

When you have reached 20 and grinded most of the raidloot you want it's time for epics and a true reincarnation anyway. (If you still enjoy playing your wiz.) With the free +2 on spellpenn, more ability points and better gear the second life of a wiz is great fun. As a warforged you can solo until high levels if you want to. Best way to know what build suits you best is playing to 20 and make your personal perfect TR.

I've just created the toon on gallanda, i'm soloing low level quests and the build is really promising (really great survivability!!!). You read my thoughts, i've build this toons planning the TR :). Thank for the help, i hope the first life will make me going deeper in the mechanisms of warforged wiz build allowing me to plan a great reincarnation after that! My plan is to build a wiz, levelling and have fun with it until level 20, than get the wiz past life and go sorc, so i can avoid the low spell pen of the sorc with the wiz past life thus building an ultimate caster :D