PDA

View Full Version : Request for build: Ninja Spy

smyter
08-22-2011, 11:29 AM
I have a toon that I will be TR'ing again, and would like a Ninja Spy Monk. I do alot of flavor builds, but have never played a monk... and really do not know the first thing about them (light, dark, etc). Below are the criteria that I want to stay within:

Halfling
Stay pure within reason. I do not mind 1 or 2 levels of another class, but no more.
Strength build. I want this guy to do damage at the sacrifice of defense (within reason)
He has 2 rogue past lives, therefore, I would want sneak of shadows feat if you can fit it in.
Utilize Halfling cunning/guile enhancements
And, as said before, use ninja spy PrE's

Lastly, I am not going for versatility here. I want him to be the boss of dps, thats it. He will be TR'd almost immediatly at 20, so do not think "end game", think level machine.

Thanks for any input.

FrozenNova
08-22-2011, 11:38 AM
You're not going to hold the title 'boss of dps' as a monk. Being a versatile melee is more or less the entire idea.

Helf is significantly superior to halfling, granting 2.5 added sneak damage, no strength penalty, more healing amp to combine with monk amp, more hitpoints, and the huge upcoming 25% damage action boost.

Dealing maximum dps to a boss on a dark monk requires silver threaded handwraps. Hope you like devil assault.

On another note, I don't understand the preference of dps over versatility for levelling. Dealing another handful of damage to the trash you encounter while levelling makes little to no odds. Meanwhile if you are incapable of anything besides dps, you have very limited means of soloing, and are completely reliant on hirelings and pugs. Versatility is the name of the game for levelling speed and ease.

SetofBs
08-22-2011, 12:17 PM
If you want a leveling machine and are not going to be staying a monk you really should go light monk. That way you don't have to farm up DR breaking wraps and can self heal quite a bit. Get the vampiric stonedust wraps and you can solo up to about level 17/18 if needed without too much trouble and resource use.

As the above poster mentions, h-elf is the master race for monk. Cleric or rogue dilly is the way to go, depneding on how much you want to solo. I guess if you are going dex based you could consider halfling...but even then I'm not sure if its optimal.

Also...you want to stay pure. There is next to no compelling reason to take a 1-2 level splash on a monk.

smyter
08-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the input. As I said, I really do not know much about monks, and your information has been insightful. Your reasons for going h-elf are valid, especially the changes to damage boost. I may be willing to waiver on this point, although halfling is one of my favorites for flavor. (plus l like the 8pts sneak attack damage). As far as light and dark go, I do not know....

FrozenNova
08-22-2011, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the input. As I said, I really do not know much about monks, and your information has been insightful. Your reasons for going h-elf are valid, especially the changes to damage boost. I may be willing to waiver on this point, although halfling is one of my favorites for flavor. (plus l like the 8pts sneak attack damage). As far as light and dark go, I do not know....

Helf provide 10.5 sneak damage. Halfling provides only 8.

You asked for Ninja Spy. That means dark.

smyter
08-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Helf provide 10.5 sneak damage. Halfling provides only 8.

You asked for Ninja Spy. That means dark.

Perfect. Thanks.