PDA

View Full Version : Quayus the (gimp) Defender of Siberys

protokon
08-19-2011, 02:29 AM
NOTE: No longer updating this build due to lack of interest. After testing out my current version in the new raids, it works well in master artificer but only because the intimidate ability is useful - not something exactly unique or outstanding in this build. Tested in lord of blades with a 91 AC and was not happy with the amount of damage he was taking, and with the amount of effort it will take to net another 4-5 points of AC, I am not willing to put any more work into such a niche toon that is useless in epic content. This build works GREAT for it's original intention: tanking Horoth is cake plus the lower raids, but again - there are other builds that will work in the higher content and retro-actively work in the older content. I would highly recommend checking those builds out (usually sword and board) until Turbine finally gets around to fixing AC.

I had someone request me to post this build for them to look at, so here he is. Note that I did not plan him ahead of time when I rolled him, I kind of threw the stats together, capped him in 4 days (courtesy a few double-TR sorcs who let me pile on the exp train) and was a Horoth-capable tank in less than a week. The beauty of this build is how undergeared it can be and still perform very well at what he was designed to do.

Here is what the build offers:
40+ UMD score. completely capable of casting every scroll (heal scrolls ftw).

65+ intimidate. I threw this in primarily to help maintain aggro as he has so little damage output. I find that most of the time, I do not need to use it and I just tell the group to give me 20 seconds to establish aggro through hate.

90+ AC. The bread and butter defense that this build relies on to make him easy to heal and keep alive.

293% Threat. The secret of holding that raid boss's attention while those high DPS toons wail on his back safely.

Evasion. Highly underestimated for how much damage this ability alone (coupled with an appropriate reflex save, of course) migitates. All saves are well in the high 40's, even in the low 50's fully buffed out.

600+ HP. This may appear very low for a tank, but the (lack of) damage he takes will certainly make up for the lack of hitpoints. There are definitely modifications that can be made with gear/feats in order to get the HP even higher, as tanking Horoth on elite will demand 700+ HP to safely eat a disintegrate regardless of how defensive you are.

171% Healing Amp. Heal scrolls will hit you for well over 200 a tick. this makes keeping you alive that much easier (and less resource intensive).

OK, so there are a few key selling points to why you would want to play this build. You can dance in front of Horoth, laugh at Suulomades, taunt Arraetrikos. Now let's see the bad news:

Lack of DPS: This is the biggest drawback - you are a one trick pony, your damage output is extremely laughable compared to actual dps toons. While you can reach "Decent" dps output if you gather the right gear (takes a *lot* of work), I would be ashamed to use this toon in epic content - especially since the build lacks power attack.

High AC: Why is this a drawback you ask? The key feature of this build is rendered virtually useless in Epic content, which really, really sucks.

Low to-hit: Certainly not a problem in regular content, However this again renders you nearly useless in Epic content as you won't be able to hit anything.

OK so here is the basic setup of the build:

15 pally / 2 monk / 3 rogue

...Why such a weird level split, you ask? Well here is the basic justifications:
15 paladin allows you to get full line pf Bulwark of good enhancements (maximum aura AC bonus), and Defender of Siberys 2. 3 rogue will give you rogue haste boost (very useful to help build up aggro quicker), full 23 UMD, and 2d6+3 sneak attack damage when you "aren't" tanking (hey every little bit of damage helps). 2 monk for the 2 feats and wisdom bonus to AC.

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.09.02
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 20 Lawful Good Human Male
(15 Paladin \ 2 Monk \ 3 Rogue)
Hit Points: 373
Spell Points: 281
BAB: 18\18\23\28\28
Fortitude: 24
Reflex: 26
Will: 21

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 9 11
Dexterity 16 24
Constitution 14 16
Intelligence 11 13
Wisdom 14 18
Charisma 14 18

Tomes Used
+2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7
+2 Tome of Strength used at level 20
+2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 20
+2 Tome of Constitution used at level 20
+2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 20
+2 Tome of Charisma used at level 20

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 20)
Balance 7 11
Bluff 2 4
Concentration 4 13
Diplomacy 2 4
Disable Device 4 5
Haggle 2 21
Heal 2 4
Hide 3 7
Intimidate 6 31
Jump 3 8
Listen 2 4
Move Silently 3 7
Open Lock 7 11
Perform n/a n/a
Repair 0 1
Search 4 5
Spot 2 4
Swim -1 0
Tumble 7 11
Use Magic Device 6 27

{\b {\ul Notable Equipment }} \par Supreme Tyrant Green Steel Goggles of Earth \par Icy Raiment \par \par Level 1 (Rogue)
Skill: Balance (+4)
Skill: Concentration (+2)
Skill: Disable Device (+4)
Skill: Intimidate (+4)
Skill: Jump (+4)
Skill: Open Lock (+4)
Skill: Search (+4)
Skill: Tumble (+4)
Skill: Use Magic Device (+4)
Feat: (Selected) Toughness
Feat: (Human Bonus) Two Weapon Fighting

Level 2 (Paladin)
Skill: Intimidate (+1)
Skill: Use Magic Device (+1)

Level 3 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Weapon Finesse

Level 4 (Paladin)

Level 5 (Paladin)

Level 6 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Two Weapon Defense

Level 7 (Paladin)

Level 8 (Rogue)
Skill: Haggle (+9)

Level 9 (Paladin)
Skill: Intimidate (+2)
Feat: (Selected) Combat Expertise

Level 10 (Paladin)
Skill: Jump (+0.5)

Level 11 (Paladin)

Level 12 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Weapon Fighting

Level 13 (Monk)
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Dodge

Level 14 (Monk)
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Toughness

Level 15 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Weapon Fighting

Level 16 (Paladin)

Level 17 (Paladin)

Level 18 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Quick Draw

Level 19 (Paladin)

Level 20 (Rogue)
Skill: Haggle (+8)
Enhancement: Paladin Armor Class Boost I
Enhancement: Rogue Haste Boost I
Enhancement: Human Adaptability Dexterity I
Enhancement: Human Greater Adaptability Wisdom I
Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery I
Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery II
Enhancement: Way of the Patient Tortoise I
Enhancement: Paladin Courage of Good I
Enhancement: Paladin Bulwark of Good I
Enhancement: Paladin Bulwark of Good II
Enhancement: Paladin Bulwark of Good III
Enhancement: Paladin Bulwark of Good IV
Enhancement: Paladin Focus of Good I
Enhancement: Paladin Resistance of Good I
Enhancement: Paladin Resistance of Good II
Enhancement: Paladin Resistance of Good III
Enhancement: Paladin Divine Righteousness I
Enhancement: Paladin Divine Sacrifice I
Enhancement: Paladin Exalted Smite I
Enhancement: Paladin Exalted Smite II
Enhancement: Paladin Extra Lay on Hands I
Enhancement: Paladin Extra Smite Evil I
Enhancement: Paladin Extra Smite Evil II
Enhancement: Paladin Extra Smite Evil III
Enhancement: Paladin Defender of Siberys I
Enhancement: Paladin Defender of Siberys II
Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training I
Enhancement: Improved Intimidate I
Enhancement: Improved Intimidate II
Enhancement: Improved Intimidate III
Enhancement: Improved Intimidate IV
Enhancement: Paladin Charisma I
Enhancement: Paladin Charisma II
Enhancement: Monk Wisdom I
Enhancement: Paladin Toughness I
Enhancement: Paladin Toughness II
Enhancement: Paladin Toughness III
Enhancement: Paladin Toughness IV
Enhancement: Paladin Divine Might I

Feats:
1 two weapon fighting
1 (human bonus) toughness
3 weapon finesse
6 two weapon defense (possibly swap for toughness)
9 combat expertise
12 improved two weapon fighting
13 (monk) dodge (possibly swap for toughness)
14 (monk) toughness
15 greater two weapon fighting
18 quickdraw (possibly swap for toughness)

Here is the gear setup (ultimate end-game goals):
NOTE: This is subject to change as I am aware that quite a few epic items are getting an overhaul in the next update.

Trinket: Epic Brawn's Spirit (+2 exceptional con, -1 wis/int, +2 intimidate, green slot)
Helmet: Epic helm of the mroranon (+7 wisdom, +15 intim, fear immunity, yellow slot)
Goggles: Greensteel triple earth (45hp)
Cloak: Greensteel cloak triple air / Wiz VI +1 cha skills / +50sp +2 cha skills / +100sp +3 cha skills
Necklace: Epic Grim's Bracelet (+7 Strength, +3 dodge, green augment slot)
Body: Icy raiment w/ alchemical ritual
Belt: Epic Siren's Belt (+5 protection, +8 armor bonus)
Bracers: Fabricator's bracers (20% incite, proc effect)
Gloves: Epic gloves of the Claw (+6 str, 30% healing amp, +5 intimidate stacking bonus)
Ring1: Epic ring of the silver concord (+7 cha, +6 protection, command, yellow slot)
Ring2: Epic ring of the buccaneer (+5 protection, +7 dex, green augment slot)
Weapon1: mineral II rapier w/ Heightened awareness 4
Weapon2: mineral II rapier w/ +2 exceptional wisdom

Changes I am hoping to make: Drop stalwart set for Grim's bracelet in necklace slot, replace claw set with new items when they come out (possibly charged gauntlets + new bracers coming out).

There is also a much cheaper build setup to get you started:

+15 intim helmet
+6 wisdom necklace
Icy raiment
Heavy fort ring
+6 cha cloak
+6 STR gloves
+6 dex ring
+8 armored bracers
amrath belt (any w/+6 con and greater false life)

With that cheaper setup, you will have much less hate but can easily hold aggro with a little bit of a headstart - and can easily obtain 85+ AC with right party buffs, while tanking Horoth on normal.

an example AC breakdown:
10 base
10 dex
8 wisdom
4 dodge (Icy)
1 dodge (alchemical)
1 feat (dodge feat)
1 feat (two weapon defense)
5 feat (combat expertise)
4 deflection (icy)
5 pally aura
8 armor bonus
4 heightened awareness(mineral 2 rapier)
1 centered

=62 base

+4 shield wand
+5 barkskin
+4 ac song
+5 ship buffs

== 80 AC

+3 DOS stance
+2 recitation
+1 haste
==86 AC with basic gear and ship buffs. more than enough for Horoth (on non-elite)

Note the AC breakdown doesn't include optimal gear OR yugo pots, both which would boost the ac to well over 90. I'll post more details later, it's getting late and I work in the morning :)

A threat breakdown:
100% base threat.
100% divine righteousness (Awesome ability)
25% defender of Siberys 2 PRE
33% Improved Defensive Stance
15% stalwart defender set bonus
20% Claw set bonus
==293%

-Firstaid.

BrightAsh
08-19-2011, 02:49 AM
Cool unorthodox. I must say that you are very lucky to ride a TR-XP train. Coz when leveling solo, you might have some major problems hitting stuff :)

protokon
08-19-2011, 02:53 AM
Cool unorthodox. I must say that you are very lucky to ride a TR-XP train. Coz when leveling solo, you might have some major problems hitting stuff :)

I actually found that using handwraps and staying in wind stance I didnt have a problem hitting things, especially since ship buffs compensate BIG TIME for any to-hit issue. But yeah, using a decent pair of wraps with a nice effect (I believe I leveled with acid/pure good or something similar) hasted in wind stance you don't do that bad.

Toon was very self-sufficient surprisingly while leveling, even if he didn't hit like a truck. I will admit this is *not* an easy build to play while leveling, having a strong group helps a lot, this build is a very specific focused one so it really is not for the average player, it's more designed to be another tool in the shed of a powergamer.

BrightAsh
08-19-2011, 02:59 AM
*snip
Toon was very self-sufficient surprisingly while leveling, even if he didn't hit like a truck.

Yeah i found lately that proper AC builds are a real peach in leveling. you might not do so much damage, but you don't get hit much either + self healing ability = win

Back to your build: I like it. to bad i got my AC build totally geargrinded into heavy armor and i have no intention of TR-ing it into a evasion thingie.

FrozenNova
08-19-2011, 03:13 AM
Compare and constrast with my Scion..
Scion has similar hp / somewhat lower max ac
Scion sits at a supposed 89 ac with pots, though that's without exceptional wis/dex or any epic gear.
Scion has extensive cure based self healing, and a dps contribution somewhere above zero. However, is incapable of hitting 100% heal scrolls without extensive gear swapping.

Quick look at your breakdowns - full aura without DoS III is only 5, iirc, unless you're counting a max ac DoS that isn't tanking instead.

protokon
08-19-2011, 03:25 AM
Compare and constrast with my Scion..
Scion has similar hp / somewhat lower max ac
Scion sits at a supposed 89 ac with pots, though that's without exceptional wis/dex or any epic gear.
Scion has extensive cure based self healing, and a dps contribution somewhere above zero. However, is incapable of hitting 100% heal scrolls without extensive gear swapping.

Quick look at your breakdowns - full aura without DoS III is only 5, iirc, unless you're counting a max ac DoS that isn't tanking instead.

You are correct, thanks for pointing that out for some reason I thought the AC bonus was 2 base for the aura and +4 for enhancements, d'oh ><

fixed in OP.

I also checked my character sheet to double check numbers, and for some reason I am getting a +1 centered bonus even though I have my rapiers equipped and am "uncentered". not sure if that's a bug or not, but it's there.

There is also a possibility of swapping out 2-3 feats for extra toughness feats, effectively helping it approach 700 fully buffed (no madstone either). That should make him elite horoth capable, I'll look more into it tomorrow.

BrightAsh
08-19-2011, 05:14 AM
I also checked my character sheet to double check numbers, and for some reason I am getting a +1 centered bonus even though I have my rapiers equipped and am "uncentered". not sure if that's a bug or not, but it's there.

Isn't that because of the whole offensive and defensive centering? You are offensively uncentered (cause of weapons). But defensively you are centered because of no shield or armor. Thus you retain your centered bonus

protokon
08-19-2011, 08:27 PM
Isn't that because of the whole offensive and defensive centering? You are offensively uncentered (cause of weapons). But defensively you are centered because of no shield or armor. Thus you retain your centered bonus

Aight bud, after carefully reviewing the Wiki I found out where it comes from and what it is. So obviously monks get a bonus to armor class for being centered (called the "centered" bonus) at levels 1,5,10, and 15 - at level 1 the bonus is 1, at 5 it increase to 2, so on and so forth (+4 at 15 max). The centered AC bonus is applied to your AC with the same rules as the wisdom bonus - You have to meet all the conditions of being centered, which means no armor, no shield, be unencumbered - the exception is the same for both, you can use weapons that knock you off being centered and still get the bonus.

The wiki kind of explained it, there was absolutely no mention of any armor class bonuses in the DDO compendium (in regards to monk and being centered), and that's what I concluded after reading around the wiki.

EpiKagEMO
08-22-2011, 11:09 PM
maybe drop wis for a lil more cha. divine might sure is helpful with the to hit lol

protokon
08-23-2011, 12:43 PM
maybe drop wis for a lil more cha. divine might sure is helpful with the to hit lol

fully geared up, it may be practical to drop wisdom down to 10 and raise cha to 16, but for a beginner (or non-power gamer) the +2 ac from 14 wis instead of 10 is a very big difference. I will look at the numbers again later and consider it, but for now his to-hit is enough for what he is made for.