PDA

View Full Version : Monk Shadow Sister build: 12 Monk/6 Rogue/1 Fighter

Chaoscheerio
08-03-2011, 01:00 AM
And here's another custom build by me! The idea was to create a build that focussed on the stealth part of ninja spy taking sneak attack bonus and assassin prestige from rogue, with the backup of a longsword wielding monk. Also a trapmonkey!
I mainly made this character to go for something different, and I always figured that the ninja spy prestige could/should go well with assassin.
Lawful Neutral for flavour, by the way :3
The build itself doesn't totally look like my character as I can't remember each skill point used when :p

Currently in progress at level 15 ^^ and enjoying it heavily!

Rosenoire Sister of Darkness
Human Female
Lawful Neutral

Champion(32pt build) *Note: I don't see this working without 32pt unfortunately :/

Base Ability Scores
14 Strength
15 Dexterity
14 Constitution
14 Intelligence
14 Wisdom
8 Charisma

Level Progression
1 Rogue
2 Fighter
3-9 Monk
10-14 Rogue
15-19 Monk
20 Rogue

Ability point raises
Strength on all

Tomes used:
Whatever suits you, but at least +2 dex before level 9.

Feats
1 - Two Weapon Fighting, Oversized TWF(Human Bonus)
2 - Weapon Focus: Slashing(Fighter Bonus)
3 - Nimble Fingers, Whirling Steel Strike(Monk Bonus)
4 - Toughness(Monk Bonus)
5 - Monk Path- Dark
6 - Dodge
8 - Lightning Reflexes(Monk Bonus)
9 - Improved TWF
12 - Sap
15 - Improved Critical: Slashing
18 - Greater TWF

Skill Point Raises:
Base idea is to max Disable/Search/Move Silently/Hide then toss in some balance/jump/tumble to whatever suits your style. Put the occasional point into open lock, though it isn't as important as DD/Search. Obviously for the 6 rogue levels you'll have more to play around with ^_^

Enhancements:
Level 1: Improved Disable Device 1, Improved Search 1, Rogue Haste Boost 1, Rogue Sneak Attack Training 1
2: Improved Trap Sense 1, Rogue Faster Sneaking 1, Rogue Damage Boost 1, Rogue Skill Boost 1
3: Improved Jump 1, Improved Tumble 1
4: Way of the Clever Monkey 1, Racial Toughness 1, Monk Wisdom 1, Fighter Toughness 1, Improved Open Lock 1
5: Human Adaptability: Intelligence(swap out when you get +2 int tome), Monk Improved Recovery 1
6: Static Charge, Improved Jump 2, Improved Tumble 2
7: N/A
8: Monk Ninja Spy 1, Adept of Rain, Adept of Flame
9: Unbalancing Strike, Way of the Clever Monkey 2
10: Improved Hide 1, Improved Move Silently 1, Rogue Dexterity 1
11: Rogue Sneak Attack Accuracy 1, Improved Move Silently 2, Improved Hide 2
12: Rogue Damage Boost 2, Rogue Subtle Backstabbing 2, Rogue Sneak Attacking Training 2, Improved Search 2
13: N/A
14: Rogue Assassin 1, Rogue Faster Sneaking 2, Winter's Touch
15: All-Consuming Flame, Porous Soul
16: Touch of Death
17: Human Greater Adaptability: Strength
18: Rogue Haste Boost 2
19: Monk Ninja Spy 2, Master of Bonfires
20: Rogue Sneak Attack Training 3, Human Improved Recovery 1

Not totally sure for gear, shouldn't be too difficult to gear up. Tharne's goggles, dragontouched vestments, with a couple nice longswords and we're good to go.

Problems so far: missing a lot, to hit is not fantastic. 14 base strength is appearing a little low. Also VERY dependent on sneak attacks for survival, 1 on 1 is weak, though unbalancing strike helps with that.
Search also appears to struggle. May not work too well in epics, we'll see.
AP costly.

Benefits so far: DPS while sneak attacking is very nice.
Trap busting ability is fine at this level.
Evades most evade-able spells
Sap is working awesome, just takes letting parties know to focus on another mob, also helps a lot soloing.

And that's it. Keep in mind this build was meant to be fun to play, and so far it totally is. Happy gaming everyone!

HelvanderSeries6
08-03-2011, 01:18 AM
12+6+1=19 7rog?

Chaoscheerio
08-03-2011, 01:21 AM
12+6+1=19 2ftr?

I messed up the title and noticed after posting it, it's 12 monk/ 7 rogue/ 1 fighter, sorry.

HelvanderSeries6
08-03-2011, 01:27 AM
yeah i just added your lvls and saw 7rog.
I apologize for being critical.

Arlathen
08-03-2011, 04:07 AM
Some 'To Hit' Advice

There's alot in the way of gear & buffs and quest choice you can do to mitigate any problems with To-Hit:

Korthos Goggles of Insight - +1 Competence to Hit
Cannith Crafting: Blindness Ward Goggles of Battle Skill - +2 Competence Bonus to Hit

House J Bless Buff - +1 Morale bonus to Hit
Heroism Potion - +2 Morale bonus to Hit
Greater Heroim - +4 Morale bonus to Hit (Planar Gird Clicky from Xoriat Cipher quest)

Korthos Angers Gift Set - +2 Untyped To Hit
Wrath of Sora Kell Set - +2 Untyped to Hit / +2 Untyped to Damage

There are also sources of Exceptional bonus To hit as well, but these are mainly from items in the amrath pack and from the Tower of Despair raid.

Haste Spell / Potion - +1 Haste bonus To Hit

At lvl 15, you should be wearing a +6 Strength item, and hopefully you've read a +2 Strength tome as well to improve your To Hit as much as possible.

Not only that, play style can help out alot. Remember, you receive a +2 bonus To Hit when you Flank or Rear attack an enemy. When your dashing in against the enemy, jump over him or tumble around him to take your first one or two swings against his flank. The Monk Way of the Faitful Hound enhancement can further enhance this as well - at rank 2, you will receive a total +5 Flank bonus To Hit.

And lastly, buy or craft weapons with high +Enhancements on them. No point having a +1 Holy Burst weapon of Pure Good, if you miss all the time. Better to go with say a +4 Holy weapon instead.

You'll probably find that as Monk receives a +1BAB progression for using Ki Weapons, as gain a few more Monk levels your chance to hit will naturally improve. Your Rogue levels, at 3/4 BAB Progression do tend to hamper this a little, especially when you go Heavy Offhand TWF with Power Attack on top!

Soleran
08-03-2011, 04:12 AM
You can't use TOD with longswords:( Something else to consider is take out the longswords and put in stunning fist and see what you can get your stunning setup to look like since stunned mobs take SA damage no matter who has the aggro.

Unarmed strikes would also give you 10% more strikes(more sa damage) and you don't suffer any penalties while 2wf

Chaoscheerio
08-03-2011, 02:19 PM
You can't use TOD with longswords:( Something else to consider is take out the longswords and put in stunning fist and see what you can get your stunning setup to look like since stunned mobs take SA damage no matter who has the aggro.

Unarmed strikes would also give you 10% more strikes(more sa damage) and you don't suffer any penalties while 2wf

as much as I don't want to admit it, that sounds like a really good idea... I've just been so excited about using longswords as a monk :( I think I'll level to 20 as is, then see how it works. Considering that'd require a LOT of feat swapping :/

Hurak
08-04-2011, 02:59 AM
Here is my version of your build back in Sept 09. http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=263735, I'll be updating that build soonish with a TR variant.

I run epics and raids with this toon and it was by far my favorite char to play so I'd recommend this build to anyone starting new (buy monk, it's fun). Monk provides a lot of survivability and decent dps output and having some rogue allows you to get involved and learn quests rather than being a sheep and zerging after a tr'd toon.

To improve your hit, run Offering of Blood until you get the spectral gloves (+2 hit). Also invest in flanking enhancements. By the time your 20, you will not have too many troubles hitting anything. Consider running in earth stance as well. You'll get good HP, DR and a crit multi bonus.

You'll find it difficult to fit in the assassin pre, as the enhancement points are very tight. You won't miss the 1d6 by not having assassin pre, use those points elsewhere. Finally, consider using bluff. There is a small lag point when using it but it allows you to get your sneak attacks off which will help you survive longer.