PDA

View Full Version : i don't get it...

doubledge
05-19-2011, 04:27 PM
Ok, i get crafting and the essences and the shards and making the stuff.
i just don't understand "shards of potential". i wnat to make my already holy of slicing rapier into a +3 holy burst of geob, but i don't know what the shards of potential are. do they reset upon deconstruction?
please explain it.

somenewnoob
05-19-2011, 04:30 PM
Good place to start:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Full_Crafting_System

They probably don't have the shards of potential on there yet (they might, didn't check)

But basically when you disjunct an item it has a +5 potential and you can craft it up to that level, if you want to go higher, you need to add the shards of potential.

doubledge
05-19-2011, 04:32 PM
... so i need the full good shards of potential and most of the arcane ones to craft that? bummer.

somenewnoob
05-19-2011, 04:34 PM
... so i need the full good shards of potential and most of the arcane ones to craft that? bummer.

Yeah you'll need to add the shards of pot. before you craft something if it is higher than the +5 that a freshly disjuncted item starts with. Another step in the process I'm afraid. Not crazy about it myself.

RJBsComputer
05-19-2011, 04:36 PM
All items in DDO have a rating system that is posted in the upper right-hand corner of the description screen. That number goes up as you get better and more magical stuff it can do. Simple example with made up numbers:

say the potental rating for a +1 Dex Ring is +3

say the potental rating for a +6 Dex Ring is +5

Now you want to add Greater False Life to you Ring. The only problem you have is that to add that to your +6 Dex Ring, the rating would become +8. The Problem is the highest rating you can put on your unmodified ring is +5.
What well you do? Well, all you have to do is to throw on a Shard of Potental +3 onto your Ring. Now your Ring's highest rating can be +8. This means you now can add the Greater False Life to your Ring now.

doubledge
05-19-2011, 08:43 PM
one last question. is potential reset upon recrafting the blank?

kittikatgurl
05-19-2011, 08:54 PM
Base potential for an item is +5

spear67
05-19-2011, 09:09 PM
*snip* cut for length
The Problem is the highest rating you can put on your unmodified ring is +5.
What well you do? Well, all you have to do is to throw on a Shard of Potental +3 onto your Ring. Now your Ring's highest rating can be +8. This means you now can add the Greater False Life to your Ring now.

Actually, you have to add a +6, a +7, then a +8 shard.... to make it even more annoying.