PDA

View Full Version : First useful thing I've crafted

DrakmireTS
05-18-2011, 10:12 AM
I'm actually pretty happy with this, other than just having dinged 18, so I can't quite use it now : P It does make me wonder what the ML of a fully utilized +12 item would be though. Hopefully it's actually capped at 20 and wouldn't be like...ML 23, heh.

http://i.imgur.com/0tg7b.png (http://i.imgur.com/0tg7b.png)

DaSawks
05-18-2011, 10:18 AM
That is an awesome ring. The only other way to get +2 to Necro spells is to unsuppress Deaths Touch. How long did it take to make? I have been storing ING but not leveling. I would start crafting if this is something that I could make.

Asketes
05-18-2011, 10:40 AM
I'm still really bummed you cannot but two different spell focuses on items.

necro of enchantment focus.... it exists now in randomly created items

Soulstabber
05-18-2011, 10:41 AM
That is an awesome ring. The only other way to get +2 to Necro spells is to unsuppress Deaths Touch. How long did it take to make? I have been storing ING but not leveling. I would start crafting if this is something that I could make.

You can get Greater necro focus on Epic Spectacles of Spirit Sight also ^_^

joaofalcao
05-18-2011, 10:54 AM
You can get Greater necro focus on Epic Spectacles of Spirit Sight also ^_^

And the Staff of the petitioner. (http://ddowiki.com/page/Staff_of_the_Petitioner)

DrakmireTS
05-18-2011, 11:35 AM

It took me...a very long time, but worth noting is that it includes time spent before this minipatch (so no exp from deconstruction), I was leveling all three schools at the same time, using no boosts of any sort (exp or crafting chance), and on top of that, I was usually going for whatever was the most efficient on material use, rather than exp per combine. To give you an idea, the first night, I spend 7 hours deconstructing items, a lot of that was bouncing between toons and filling my account bank. I deconstructed 1023 items the first night so...that was fun. The actual ability to craft the G. Necro shard *just* came up for me, think I'm like 42ish Divine? I'm not at home to check.

The upside here is that the character wearing this ring has almost no crafting levels--with the change to shards being BTA, I can make some pretty reasonable stuff out of like 30k worth of vendor trash from just one character. I plan to make a G. Enchant focus bracer with probably sonic resistance...don't think sonic damage is ever very high, so improved resistance (the highest I've seen a shard for currently) should do fine...

The system is still pretty stupid overall, but at least there's a glimmer of something nice in the massive pile of manure that constitutes the rest.

dunklezhan
05-18-2011, 11:47 AM
The system is still pretty stupid overall, but at least there's a glimmer of something nice in the massive pile of manure that constitutes the rest.

It is indeed a nice item, and congratulations on persevering with things to get to the level you have, but I disagree with your final assessment.

What has happened is that you've reached a level where you have access to some true flexibility in what you can craft, so you can pick and choose to make a truly useful item for your specific circumstances, and BTA has made it worth doing because you can make stuff for your alts. In my view it won't be a truly useful system until you can make unbound shards, as this will generate a real economy around it, rather than what is happening right now, which is the rest of the economy suffers due to the amount of things no longer on the AH, or overpriced on the AH which is a direct effect of the crafting system as it is now.

The fact is in every crafting system in every MMO I've played the vast majority of what you can craft is pretty useless, and you wade through it to get to be able to make the few useful things.

At the end of the day they are letting you (ultimately once its fully opened up) craft everything that can appear on random items and a few items from named loot only (e.g. Blood on a docent). To be able to do that requires you to work at it, which you have, and now you have the benefits, because now you have what the system was intended to bring you - real options and flexibility about your character's gear. And you didn't spend a single TP. Congrats!

Edit: I have not reached the dizzy heights of even crafting level 30 yet in any school. But i have made this (before the recent patch, which is why the item level is so low):
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_Siw9RwSkFDg/TcVEjqzsHiI/AAAAAAAAADE/Tld5XtwbwRE/s800/blood%20docent%20of%20invuln.jpg

Which, personally, I think is a pretty desirable item for the ML.

Veileira
05-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Rags of Invulnerability, ml1. Best thing ever.

DrakmireTS
05-18-2011, 12:00 PM
The issue isn't that I had to work hard to get to the point where I'm at, or the time invested, or the junk created. I've done crafting in UO, EQ, DaoC, EQ2, Warhammer, WoW (oh dear god) and now DDO and they've roughly all that bad (WoW was actually probably the best if you could either finance powerskilling, or just crafted as you leveled. It was worst if you were just picking up a new tradeskill but didn't want to pay the outrageous AH costs for ingredients). None of them have been perfect, but this one has felt like...well, like it's still in beta, who'd have thought? The major issues I have:

-Ingredients can't be pulled automatically from bags.
-Shards in the creation device are all called "Suchandsuch Shard" (with the exception of Shards of Potential). This means you can't do an easy search for suffix shards. You can mouseover the shards one at a time to see whether they are or not, but ugh.
-You have to go to the Shard + Item combine crafting device in order determine which shards can go on which pieces of gear. That should really be included in the 2nd crafting device shard info (on mouseover).
-There's no way to "uptrade" lesser essences for greater ones
-Crafting is unnecessarily slow due to the "chomp" animation of the creation devices. I'm already throttled by limited materials, do they really need to add 3 extra seconds per button push just to play an animation? That sounds trivial, but consider that I've deconstructed 2000 things and crafted something like 500 shards, each of those has 3 seconds attached to it. 7500 seconds, 125 minutes, two HOURS of just watching the stupid swirlies go while I wait for the button to not be greyed out so I can continue crafting lesser abjuration I shards.
-Diminishing returns on exp. Really, we're crafting the most mundane junk already, do we really need to make it so that I make a dozen shards that are all equally useless, but take up twelve individual spots in my inventory/bag? Diminishing exp on crafting level vs effect level is already plenty, it allows us to choose our risk vs reward.

Tarackian
05-18-2011, 12:33 PM
Really?? I thought this was possible.

I'm still really bummed you cannot but two different spell focuses on items.

necro of enchantment focus.... it exists now in randomly created items

DrakmireTS
05-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Really?? I thought this was possible.

Newp. They're prefixes, so you can only do one per item.

spear67
05-18-2011, 12:39 PM
it's all a matter of what level you are.

I've assigned crafting duties to my lvl 9 ranger, and I've crafted a pair of everbright longswords for ooze/rust monster beaters. I think I may look at some form of longbow yet, see what complements a good AA skill set.

Can't wait for unbound crafting, I'll be doing all the crafting for my guild (all 3 of us)