PDA

View Full Version : What to do with " irrevocably' broke Min II's?

~Chauncy
05-04-2011, 09:56 PM
What could Turbine do for us that have Min II's (or other weapons) that were screwed up while adding the third tier? Since they are calling them "irrevocably" broken, I assume they can't fix them retroactively.

I'd hate to think I ground all those ingredients for a green doorstop. I'm a casual player and that took me at least a month.

I know they are working on fixing the problem, and that should be the priority. But once they have it fixed I hope they can figure something out for these mis-fit weapons.

adamkatt
05-04-2011, 11:34 PM
They just need to let us break them apart with the decon machines and get all your shroud ingreds back.. or at least most of them...

Marten
05-05-2011, 11:06 AM
What could Turbine do for us that have Min II's (or other weapons) that were screwed up while adding the third tier? Since they are calling them "irrevocably" broken, I assume they can't fix them retroactively.

I'd hate to think I ground all those ingredients for a green doorstop. I'm a casual player and that took me at least a month.

I know they are working on fixing the problem, and that should be the priority. But once they have it fixed I hope they can figure something out for these mis-fit weapons.

If I were a betting man, I would bet that you will be able to either place the whole weapon in a Stone of Change or the T3 crafting station in the Shroud. It would be coded to look at the name of the item and then replace it with functional copy of that item.

This would mean that they would have to code it to read every possible permutation which is no small task, but I don't see another option. As much as I would like to see a GS decon option, this would take even more code and testing than the above.

And of course there is always the worst case, they fix the bug and tell everyone that made one after U9 but pre U9.1 "Sorry, no refunds." I don't see this happening, just saying that it is possible.

Trillea
05-05-2011, 11:10 AM
You could use them to charge a power cell for your next shroud weapon.. :p

grohgredin
05-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Interesting thread.

Turbine ? An idea of what you will do for us ?

( for me the answer is really clear if you do nothing more than fix the bug : i m not playing a beta, so vip--->f2p )

Tolero
05-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Don't get rid of them! "Irrevocably" refers to the fact that you can't just stick it in the device to try a different recipe. We're still working on both how to fix the broken recipe, and to see what we can do for the weapons that are already in this state. Hoping to have more news on this front very soon, which will be added to the main thread once we have it.

Qezuzu
05-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Don't get rid of them! "Irrevocably" refers to the fact that you can't just stick it in the device to try a different recipe. We're still working on both how to fix the broken recipe, and to see what we can do for the weapons that are already in this state. Hoping to have more news on this front very soon, which will be added to the main thread once we have it.

and to see what we can do for the weapons that are already in this state.

I TOLD YOU! Now be patient!

Alektronic
05-05-2011, 11:46 AM
*breathes a deep sigh of relief*:p

Tyicius
05-05-2011, 11:50 AM

You've just made my day with this news.

Thanks Tolero

varusso
05-05-2011, 12:36 PM

TLDR version: Add deconstruction of GS items. Solve several problems at once. See below for more info.

Best overall solution?
Add deconstruct to greensteel. Crunch your item, get back your blank and the ings you used to craft it. You can take it one step further and allow decon of blanks afterwards, but that can be problematical considering alternate crafting recipes. I think most players would be fine with just decon to blank + shroud ings.

This would, first off, solve the problem with the bugged items. Once the recipes are fixed, players could decon their items and remake them, getting what they originally intended to craft. Note that the decon would need to give back the actual ings USED, not what the game THINKS were used, crafting the wrong item. Make sense?

Second, this would solve any problems players have with game mechanic changes that make hard-worked-for weapons useless to their builds. Decon the 'useless' item and get your ings back, make a new blank (since the old one is also 'useless' and craft your new item. It also allows for players to experiment with what they want, rather than being locked into a commitment that ends up being a bad choice.

You would still have to craft a new blank, but I think we can all agree that is FAR more palatable than deleting a useless GS item and farming everything from scratch.

This ALSO ensures that if there are any similar occurances, either of bugs or changes in game mechanics, players will know that all we have to do is wait for the bug fix (or testing in the case of new mechanics) to happen, then decon the item and make the new bug free/flavor of the month item.

And no I dont care what it does to the economy of LDS or whines about it being an easy button. Its an overall positive change that benefits more players than the minority elitists/greedy ppl that insist on holding everyone else back for their own profit.

Lerl
05-05-2011, 12:37 PM
Why are we unable to give +1 rep to devs????

Primalhowl
05-05-2011, 12:40 PM
I TOLD YOU! Now be patient!

+1

I want to know why this problem wasn't dealt with Wednesday's hotfix! Myself and gazillions of similarly irate players are going to /ragequit if it isn't fixed by 12:01 am tomorrow. And because it is unacceptable that this clear statement of intent occured, if they don't give me a free pony and a pet kobold as well, I'm going to cancel my VIP account! ;)

(Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I'm glad I'm not a game developer. )

The_Phenx
05-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Because they arent here to please us :)

varusso
05-05-2011, 12:53 PM
I want to know why this problem wasn't dealt with Wednesday's hotfix!

I would personally rather have it done RIGHT than QUICKLY. Imagine the uproar if they rushed a fix on this, only to find another bug cropped up due to the fix. Or if it didnt actually fix all instances of the problem as expected. Actually got into it with a guildie over this a couple days ago. The folks clamoring for a fix RIGHT NOW would be the first ones on the boards demanding reprisals if anything at all went wrong with the fix. And in the real world, since a bug is an unexpected outcome of the coding in the first place, its better to take your time and get it squashed properly, rather than put out a quick fix and just cross your fingers that something else unexpected wasnt missed, thereby angering the playerbase even further.

EDIT: To be clear, I think your personal post was pretty much tongue-in-cheek, but it personifies the ACTUAL mentality of many negative posters, and would give them a springboard, hence why I am responding to this one ;-)

rest
05-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Why are we unable to give +1 rep to devs????

Because then we could also -1 them ;)

Primalhowl
05-05-2011, 01:00 PM
EDIT: To be clear, I think your personal post was pretty much tongue-in-cheek, but it personifies the ACTUAL mentality of many negative posters, and would give them a springboard, hence why I am responding to this one ;-)

I was hoping the wink, the pony, the pet kobold, the double quitting, and the obvious unrealistic time expectations might all be clues... :D

DrunkenBuddha
05-05-2011, 01:02 PM

^This this this.

That's what I'm talking about. Communication is key and this is very helpful for morale to all those affected. Hopeful that the devs are able to follow through on this but excellent first step - that you're aware of the problem and that you know how much it has affected those afflicted with this issue - and more importantly, that you are attempting to correct the problem.

varusso
05-05-2011, 01:11 PM
I was hoping the wink, the pony, the pet kobold, the double quitting, and the obvious unrealistic time expectations might all be clues... :D

Yah like i said yours strikes me as tongue in cheek, but you know how THOSE guys are O.o

taurean430
05-05-2011, 01:11 PM
This is good news to hear!

I started my own thread regarding the issue as well with a couple of potiental solutions. I felt that the bug reports were adequate to be used as tracking and verification tools. That thread is here: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=3767888#post3767888

Perhaps some of the ideas there would be helpful. I'm not for certain, but I sure am trying.

ahpook
05-05-2011, 01:49 PM

Pretty certain that wouldn't have been enough for some people. :confused::D:mad::p:D:cool:

Khimberlhyte
05-05-2011, 02:03 PM
While you're looking into that, can you also check into the disappearing greensteel in Necro III and the Abbott and figure out how to compensate players for that? I had a friend lose his Lit II in Tomb of the Blighted on his 7th life TR around three weeks ago, and haven't seen him log in since.

~Chauncy
05-05-2011, 06:24 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am a very happy dwarf and I will be patient if I know a fix is on the way!

~Chauncy
05-05-2011, 06:25 PM
You could use them to charge a power cell for your next shroud weapon.. :p

Dude, that is cold! :rolleyes:

Darsith
05-06-2011, 03:05 PM

I hate to derail, but is there a fix in the works for the poor players that lost GS items and weapons to the necro 3 and 4 chains? (looking at you Ascension Chamber and Tomb of the Blighted!)

AMDarkwolf
05-06-2011, 03:12 PM

While this is a step toward what is right, I ask why did you let this 'issue' get to live with NO warning until a lot of poor people did it? You KNEW about it in lam, it was reported, repeatedly, and I'm sure I saw a discussion or two on the forums about it BEFORE it was released.

please, next time a big issue like this slides though WARN US BEFORE it goes live, even if u don't FIX it then, make sure you let people KNOW beforehand.

Have i said the 'before' enough? Don't you think that allowing people to get bit by this a lot first, THEN giving a 'warning' does your company more damage than a heads up 'ok guys, this is a problem we haven't fixed yet' on the mainpage/launcher when u make the bug live?

tihocan
05-09-2011, 09:19 AM
While this is a step toward what is right, I ask why did you let this 'issue' get to live with NO warning until a lot of poor people did it? You KNEW about it in lam, it was reported, repeatedly, and I'm sure I saw a discussion or two on the forums about it BEFORE it was released.

please, next time a big issue like this slides though WARN US BEFORE it goes live, even if u don't FIX it then, make sure you let people KNOW beforehand.

Have i said the 'before' enough? Don't you think that allowing people to get bit by this a lot first, THEN giving a 'warning' does your company more damage than a heads up 'ok guys, this is a problem we haven't fixed yet' on the mainpage/launcher when u make the bug live?
I didn't follow Lamannia very closely, but I don't remember this being mentioned. And when people reported it on the forums here, nobody said it had been noticed on Lamannia. So are you sure about this?

Soth13
05-11-2011, 04:13 PM
as far as the missing weapons bug in necro 4, Junts has an interesting theory about that (theory because I haven't seen any confirmation). It was posted recently so it shouldn't be hard to find, and I'll post it later when I find it.

Found post and here is the quote

Explaination of the weapon glitch:

Have you ever noticed how if you swap weapons right at the start of an animation, you can do an attack using an animation from the wrong weapon type? Throwers are particularly prone to this. Switch weapons right as you throw and you will often do an animation where you fling your normal melee weapon.

This isn't typically a problem becuase we use returners. However, it can be a problem when using stacks of finite objects, like the vials and boulders, because the number of your melee weapons in the stack is 1 - if this happens with those weapons, they're gone.

If people ever used those 20 stacks of +5 throwing x's, this would happen more often and anywhere. For safety in blighted and abbot, switch to a scroll stack or something before switching to a melee weapon when swapping quickly between the limited-item stacks and your melee weapon. If you are attacking rapidly with a boulder stack, you can fling away your main weapon permanently when you equip your real weapon again.