PDA

View Full Version : Know Your Enemy: Renders, Reavers, and Flensers, Oh My!

Tolero
02-09-2011, 04:40 PM
We're wrapping up our featured creatures with a bang! It's triple the monsters in our latest Know Your Enemy! Click here (http://www.ddo.com/news/1327-know-your-enemy-renders-reavers-and-flensers-oh-my)!

Bladedge
02-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Some rare and powerful flesh renders are adept with the use of their claw attacks, and can deal a vorpal strike!

Yep found out about that vorpal strike, when flagging for DQ last year. It took four years before i knew they had that ability. :o

Nice concept art. I like seeing the concept art especially of landscapes, that I can use as desktop wallpaper... hint, hint.

Crazyfruit
02-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Coyle lol. He even dies in lore writeups :o

GeneralDiomedes
02-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Note to self - Much harder to kill a pack of ice flensers with wall of fire after the change to ice storm.

learst
02-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the fun write-up. It's really cool to read about all these monsters.

knightgf
02-09-2011, 09:00 PM
My Scorching Ray was deflected by the creature’s spell resistance

*Screeches disk*

Wait a minute...Scorching Ray doesn't need a spell resistance check! Whoever wrote this most be a novice wizard that used a spell different than scorching ray!

FlyingTurtle
02-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Spelled "tanar'ri", not "tenarii". Fixed it for ya.

krissonofpark
02-10-2011, 12:33 AM
We're wrapping up our featured creatures with a bang! It's triple the monsters in our latest Know Your Enemy! Click here (http://www.ddo.com/news/1327-know-your-enemy-renders-reavers-and-flensers-oh-my)!

Did I just read that right, did he just say that this would be the last one?

What about all the rest, you can't stop after only a few examples of Monsters.

Kahath
02-10-2011, 02:58 AM
Over the years I have come to abhor the growl a Render makes when approaching and fighting. Now I hate it so much I have to turn off the sound whenever I know a fight is imminent.

Lord_WC
02-10-2011, 03:28 AM
*Screeches disk*

Wait a minute...Scorching Ray doesn't need a spell resistance check! Whoever wrote this most be a novice wizard that used a spell different than scorching ray!

In pnp it does...

BurningDownTheHouse
02-10-2011, 07:33 AM
The problem I see is that they are presented as dreadful enemies. Unfortunately though, in DDO, what makes the danger is the dungeons level and difficulty (not to mention scaling).
You get an Ice Flensher in Misseries Peak for crying out loud! Is it dangerous? Even on elite? Meh.
And even in later content, a poorly equipped (but well prepared spell wise) caster can account for around 15-20 of those on his own (only him and his mana bar), not to mention the rest of the group.
And as for the scorching ray being blocked by sr, this will only serve to confuse the newbs. The lore should be consistent with DDOs mechanics, not p&p D&Ds.

Love the general idea, but sorry, FAIL on the fine details.

Memnir
02-10-2011, 08:16 AM
Eddie approves of this week's entry. Much more interesting then a few of the prior ones. :D

Shame it's the last one, be nice to see this feature continue - even if only on a monthly basis. But, at least it ends on a high note.

vVAnjilaVv
02-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Atho it's probably common knowledge.......common demon DR's are

Maralith, Ice Flenser, Fire Reaver, and Fleshrenders are Good AND Cold Iron.

Tharak Hounds are Lawful

Hezrou's are Good.....I'm not entirely sure about this one but pretty sure.

Jaraltihs are Cold Iron

MindFlayers who are commonly with these enemies in the Subterrane are Byeshk......they are abberations tho, not demons.

rest
02-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Atho it's probably common knowledge.......common demon DR's are

Maralith, Ice Flenser, Fire Reaver, and Fleshrenders are Good AND Cold Iron.

Thought this was one or the other, not both, unless red or purple named.

The_Phenx
02-10-2011, 11:02 AM
You guys need to make damage reduction its own line in moster descriptions and list how to bypass it.

The newbies never have the right weapons. :p

Sarisa
02-10-2011, 11:04 AM
I'm going to miss this segment. Wish it would continue, even just once a month.

tihocan
02-10-2011, 03:39 PM
Cool stuff, I wish the DR part was more explicit though. Saying "blessed cold iron weapons" or "holy cold iron" is not very clear, because they can mislead players to believe only such weapons can bypass DR.
Ideally you could just say they have DR/cold iron+good, but I guess many players would not understand what it means. At the very least, I think it should say "good-aligned" instead of "holy" or "blessed".

Auran82
02-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Thought this was one or the other, not both, unless red or purple named.

I remember a long time ago they changed non-named flenser etc DR to be something like:

Good or Cold iron on normal.

Good + Cold Iron on hard or above.

Or something like that.

Loromir
02-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Why Discontinue this...there are other monsters out there...Hobgoblins, Trolls, Orcs, Ogres, Rakashas, Wildmen etc. I would like to know more about them.

NeutronStar
02-10-2011, 05:58 PM

Finally! Thank you so much Tolero!

+1

NeutronStar
02-10-2011, 06:12 PM

Check your 3.5 PHB again friend.