PDA

View Full Version : monk is killing me

JStone
08-24-2010, 09:04 PM
im trying to make a staff build starting 1 rogue and 1 monk, as soon as i take the monk level and strip off my armor i get owned i tried a halfling with 16dex 10 wis that didnt work, i rerolled drow 16dex 14 wis, thats not helping either. im sure once i get BW bracers ill be ok, but i still wonder if im gonna get enough AC to make this toon workable. any advice would be much appreciated, i dont have 32 pt builds so my statas are

Halfling/Drow
str 14/14
dex16/16
con12/12
int14/14
wis10/14
cha8/10

im undecided which race to run, although the drow seems better especially with bonus to search and spot

Adarro
08-24-2010, 09:16 PM
if you're soloing, just grab a Wizzy hireling (or it may be the sorc) one of them will cast Mage Armour for ya until you get the bracers or can grab enough pots / clicky.

Since your a rogue, you can also grab those protection gloves in Necromancers doom locked chest for a +4 ac shield clicky.

If you're starting out fresh with no real twink support, you can also farm 'The Collaborator' for those cure light pots. It's like 2-3 a shot for the first part. You should be able to handle normal on there to grab enough pots to get you through. If not, then grab that level 1 cleric hireling, rinse and repeat.

Alternately, if you're doing fine with dex + armour at low levels, then there's no real need to remove it. Keep it and use your rogue skills until you get a real benefit from being a monk.

Grabbing a [short] bow might help a bit as well. Do as much damage as you can before they get to you then finish them off.

I'm sure others will have more suggestions, that's just off the top of my head.

Good luck.

Merlocke
08-24-2010, 09:19 PM
going elf on a melee will give you a -2 Con score bringing yours to a 10.

Cernunan
08-24-2010, 09:26 PM
I have to tell you, monk by nature is not a starter class, think of it as a more advanced class.

Trying to build a viable monk with 28 points is going to really be an uphill fight literally. You just are not going to have the stat points to work with any build. You will have low hp, no ac, low dps, everything that everyone complains about when grouping with monks.

Best bet is to make a more starter friendly build of an easier class, then get yourself to 1750 favor for 32 pt builds. That way you will then have the experience in the game you need, and starter gear to pass off in order to build a really viable monk.

JStone
08-24-2010, 09:28 PM
thanks for the replies, those numbers are after racial mods

Naash
08-24-2010, 09:39 PM
I have to tell you, monk by nature is not a starter class, think of it as a more advanced class.

Trying to build a viable monk with 28 points is going to really be an uphill fight literally. You just are not going to have the stat points to work with any build. You will have low hp, no ac, low dps, everything that everyone complains about when grouping with monks.

Best bet is to make a more starter friendly build of an easier class, then get yourself to 1750 favor for 32 pt builds. That way you will then have the experience in the game you need, and starter gear to pass off in order to build a really viable monk.

Good advice,but you can buy 32 point builds now.

Cernunan
08-24-2010, 09:43 PM
Absolutly!
Unfortunatly, you can not buy experience, well except when the pots are on sale ;)

Kabaon
08-25-2010, 01:13 AM
I dunno, I have made a pretty decent monk on Sarlona, I don't play him much as it's not my main server, but he's almost level 14, and he's been doing pretty well. No higher character support, and he can easily attain 40 ac or so, I think his base is 37 or so, while not great, it's a vast improvement to my wizard, who has 16 ac XD.

The problem I find with Monk Multiclassing is the fact to use all the benefits of monk (not just evasion) you have to follow the monk rules. Honestly, to me it's just not worth it, but I'm always intrigued as to what others manage to get working.

Soleran
08-25-2010, 02:57 AM
By going 1 rogue early on unless you plan on using that as your main class you are just hurting yourself.

14 int isn't where you want to be at all, monks boost certain abilities with wisdom and their armor where as 14 int is just for skill points which meh 1 rogue you want umd or something I dont know?

Halfling
str 14
dex16
con14
int8
wis10
cha8

I started 32 point but at least starting with that assign your points to wisdom that are left, maybe get a plus 2 tome go 12 str and whatever you want but boosting wisdom = armor, boosting con = pure win hp.

tihocan
08-25-2010, 07:23 AM
I wouldn't suggest multiclassing a monk, unless you really know what you're doing. There's a lot of benefit in staying pure.

JStone
08-25-2010, 09:24 PM
im planning on maily being a rogue jut taking monk for the stances and other goodies.

Aesop
08-25-2010, 09:44 PM
Buy Mage Armor Pots or clickies they last like 5 min each

as for the rest... need to know the build first

Check out the thread Big F'n Stick... its a Q Staff build that may work for ya

OH and I'm just guessing Acrobat 2 as that adds the most Q-Staff benefit

Aesop

tihocan
08-26-2010, 08:08 AM
im planning on maily being a rogue jut taking monk for the stances and other goodies.
Oh ok.