PDA

View Full Version : Guild Buff Durations should get a bump up

Cyr
07-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Guild buffs are very neat bonuses. However, they only last an hour long. This of course makes for an unneeded time sink in running back to your airship and getting rebuffed in between quests.

Adding to the duration of these buffs will not really make them more powerful except in the rare cases where dungeons last over one hour.

So my suggestion is simple. Make all guild buffs last six hours long. This should be long enough to last through any quest and eliminate most of jogging back and forth that these buffs otherwise generate.

ArichValtrahn
07-06-2010, 09:17 AM
Or just remove them. Guild renown should only provide cosmetic or convenience benefits, not additional power.

Forzah
07-06-2010, 09:17 AM
Already overpowered as is. The one hour duration is good enough.

cardmj1
07-06-2010, 09:18 AM
/not signed

Baahb3
07-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Or just remove them. Guild renown should only provide cosmetic or convenience benefits, not additional power.

Precisely!

Or if you want to keep them make them last about 5 min. Just long enough to run to the quest.

Talon_Moonshadow
07-06-2010, 09:31 AM
The one possible good thing about the guild buffs, is that maybe.....just maybe....

I'll stop hearing the words: "Can I get a Fire Resist?"

pasterqb
07-06-2010, 09:44 AM
/signed

Maybe make them last through death also. Do they even get taken away from part 5 shroud death? If they don't then it's almost as much of a fail as D-Door post U5. Also the 1 hour timer is kinda a PITA to deal with if you talk about the exp buff. It's primary use is for when you complete the quest maybe some optionals but most are useless. I know quests shouldn't last over an hour but some are close and if i'm soloing i go afk and take my time. So coal chamber, let sleeping dust lie and some amrath quests arent gonna be fun. Not to mention you will definately need to refresh it after the majority of the quests you do after a decent level cause quests are longer.

TheKeg
07-06-2010, 09:53 AM
Guild buffs are very neat bonuses. However, they only last an hour long. This of course makes for an unneeded time sink in running back to your airship and getting rebuffed in between quests.

Adding to the duration of these buffs will not really make them more powerful except in the rare cases where dungeons last over one hour.

So my suggestion is simple. Make all guild buffs last six hours long. This should be long enough to last through any quest and eliminate most of jogging back and forth that these buffs otherwise generate.

I know this guild stuff is the Flavor of the Month, but I'd be highly (more) irritated if they got a bump and LightPath Monks are still stuck with 10s - 1 min durations on their buffs.

Krag
07-06-2010, 09:53 AM
/signed

Rebuffing after every quest or two is unneeded and irritating. The same goes for House P buffs.

Impaqt
07-06-2010, 10:06 AM
If you dont want an hour long buff, then Dont go get them.

Sheesh.... Its not like they are 5 minutes. It takes less than 3 minutes to run anywhere in the entire game.

iamsamoth0
07-06-2010, 10:06 AM
There are SO many ways to implement some of these 'buffs' there could surely be more tiers. Some should be available to have longer durations, etc. And the argument that a dungeon may actually have an hours worth of effort in it makes sense to me. Good point Cyr. They could maybe make some of them work like NPC's, it sticks with you until the dungeon is exited.

RTN
07-06-2010, 10:13 AM

Sheesh.... Its not like they are 5 minutes. It takes less than 3 minutes to run anywhere in the entire game.

I'm tempted to report you for making sense. Don't do it again! ;)

DANTEIL
07-11-2010, 03:21 PM
So the past couple of days I've joined some pug groups that included several people from high-level guilds. Twice now -- involving a different guild each time -- people have been waiting by a quest entrance and as soon as the party gets full, the guild members all rushed off to their airship in order to get their buffs on before returning to rejoin the rest of us.

I understand why they're doing it, but I have to say that it was kind of annoying, because it meant yet more waiting around for things to get started. I know it doesn't take that long, but the first time it happened I was very confused when all of those blue dots starting running away at some unspoken signal :)

Krag
07-11-2010, 03:37 PM

1 hour is enough to justify 3 minutes run from players perspective. However 3 minutes of running are still 3 minutes of running. Annoying and unnecessary.

Crazyfruit
07-11-2010, 03:38 PM
/signed.

With only one hour I doubt I'm ever going to bother spending 3 minutes each time at all those load screens/npcs you have to talk to. The XP shrine is especially pointless as I'd make more than that questing in the time it takes to activate.

Them lasting longer also gives us a reason to avoid dying.

Symar-FangofLloth
07-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Complete your explorers and get a Navigator on your ship.
Buy Airship portals.
Travel time cut in half, tadah.

Althotas
07-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Nice sarcasm Cyr...

Borror0
07-11-2010, 04:43 PM
If they are there to stay, I agree they should be given longer duration for convenience.

However, I'll join the many voices that say that guilds should offer convenience, not advantage.

kernal42
07-11-2010, 04:51 PM
/Signed.

Cyr
07-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Nice sarcasm Cyr...

No sarcasm present.

It is a serious suggestion which assumes that like so many other things Turbine has done that they are unwilling to reconsider it's basic premise so therefore my suggestion is to make it be less intrusive and annoying on everyday game play.

It is very simple.

If you like or hate the idea of guild buffs it is irrelevant because if you ever pug any near top end or top end content you will have people who want their buffs active before going in. Due to the one hour timer this means grabbing them right before you go in. This adds on wasted time for everyone, even those who hate the guild buff idea and refuse to use them out of principle. That makes for more down time that is unfun for those jogging to and from an airship and those sitting around waiting for those making these runs.

Angelus_dead
07-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Already overpowered as is. The one hour duration is good enough.
But the thing is that expiring guild buffs is also a penalty for people who don't qualify for the buffs, because when party-members go running off to refresh their buffs, those players are still standing around bored.

MrCow
07-12-2010, 07:00 PM
But the thing is that expiring guild buffs is also a penalty for people who don't qualify for the buffs, because when party-members go running off to refresh their buffs, those players are still standing around bored.

You can't get them to invite you onto their airships for the buffs when they go skittering for them?

Angelus_dead
07-12-2010, 07:08 PM
You can't get them to invite you onto their airships for the buffs when they go skittering for them?
I don't know if this is actually true, but the story is that inviting people to the ship would let them steal from the guild chests.

Krag
07-16-2010, 05:49 AM
bump

Adrenya
07-19-2010, 02:04 AM
I don't know if this is actually true, but the story is that inviting people to the ship would let them steal from the guild chests.

Only actual guild members have access to the guild chest. It was one of the first things we checked. The description of the Guild Chest even says "common storage that is accessible to anyone in the guild".

TheKaige
07-19-2010, 08:54 AM

Exactly.

ragingfungus
07-19-2010, 09:07 AM
If they are there to stay, I agree they should be given longer duration for convenience.

However, I'll join the many voices that say that guilds should offer convenience, not advantage.

Agreed completely and 1 rep :)

soupertc
07-19-2010, 09:16 AM
I myself don't have the abilty to buff on a ship yet so I can't really say yes or no yet....but I'll say I don't see why people would get buffs other than a Elite raid or Epic quest. In those instances they normally are shorter than an hour and the buffs are nice but not needed and most likley if ya have the ability to get the buffs in the 1st place your running with guildies so everyone can go get em together. I'm excited to see what they are like don't get me wrong and we are getting close...but I've been in groups doin normal quest and raids where people are getting buffs and making us wait not cause they need them....but cause saying they are getting buffs is like a way to show they are cool I think...cause they got thier Ships and we don't. I mean do you really need to get buffs for a normal Shroud?

woundweaver
07-19-2010, 09:19 AM
I know this guild stuff is the Flavor of the Month, but I'd be highly (more) irritated if they got a bump and LightPath Monks are still stuck with 10s - 1 min durations on their buffs.

the devs dont like monks. been proven again and again. want some monk love, go dark. let the healers cast prot from evil, and pallies do the smiting

Eladiun
07-19-2010, 09:22 AM
/not signed

Others have stated my reasons adequately.

Eladiun
07-19-2010, 09:23 AM

Right now even guild members can't access the chest as it's bugged to officers only.

justagame
07-19-2010, 09:26 AM

Absolutely agreed.

woundweaver
07-19-2010, 09:27 AM
the only thing i would like to see done to the guild buffs is to make them last an hour, not disappear on death.
or, even better, make the airship dispense free clickies that create a portal to your airship in any non dungeon instance, to save those time consuming runs. maybe limit the clickies to 5 or 10 charges? hell, id settle for 3.
which leads me to my next question....why does amrath or the refuge not get any kind of porting option, or guild airship entrances?? those 2 places are the worst getting to and from, and the biggest waste of time running between them. ever been a fvs, and have to make that slow 3 minute drop to the refuge because you used your wings in town for the speed boost?? it sucks. airship entrances, and portals in those 2 areas would definately cut that mess out

Cyr
07-19-2010, 12:05 PM
I myself don't have the abilty to buff on a ship yet so I can't really say yes or no yet....but I'll say I don't see why people would get buffs other than a Elite raid or Epic quest. In those instances they normally are shorter than an hour and the buffs are nice but not needed and most likley if ya have the ability to get the buffs in the 1st place your running with guildies so everyone can go get em together. I'm excited to see what they are like don't get me wrong and we are getting close...but I've been in groups doin normal quest and raids where people are getting buffs and making us wait not cause they need them....but cause saying they are getting buffs is like a way to show they are cool I think...cause they got thier Ships and we don't. I mean do you really need to get buffs for a normal Shroud?

Like the buffs, hate the buffs, don't think the buffs are needed....anyway it goes you will be waiting for people to make the run. This slows down questing and adds nothing to anyone's enjoyment of the game.

boomeranky
07-19-2010, 12:35 PM
which leads me to my next question....why does amrath or the refuge not get any kind of porting option, or guild airship entrances?? those 2 places are the worst getting to and from, and the biggest waste of time running between them. ever been a fvs, and have to make that slow 3 minute drop to the refuge because you used your wings in town for the speed boost?? it sucks. airship entrances, and portals in those 2 areas would definately cut that mess out

well, at least with the navigator you can get -to- reavers refuge and amrath, though you will still drop on the airship to refuge and have to jump down (wouldnt it make more sense to be put at the island there? i mean, jumping from airship to airship... wooha, dangerous stuff)... a quicker way back to the guild airship wouldn't really hurt

Angelus_dead
07-19-2010, 12:39 PM
One possible improvement would be to make the guild buffs only start to count down once you go into a private instance.

Skirmish
07-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Yeah, cause having buffs last an hour is just pathetic. *yes that is sarcasm*

Did you post about the House P buffs sucking and needing more time before this? I was just curious. Considering all you have to do is drop a beacon and you can hop back to your ship to buff then jump ship to ANY public area means it's not that big a deal to jump back, rebuff, and hit the next set of adventures in minutes. Not much more time than it normally does to sell/repair, restock ammo/pots, and dump loot in the bank for your alts. This is especially true now that all those should be on your ship already, you can do them all in one location and be done with it in minutes.

I must have missed some content. Because I've yet to run the mission/raid that wasn't shiny, brand new, and untouched that was over an hour long unless the party was inept or had never run it before and didn't bother reading up on it beforehand.(in the case of a new-to-party raid)
-Edit: Why no, I haven't run the Abbot. But have heard the horror stories.

If your guild has made the levels to get the buffs and your guys have spent the money to get them. Shut up and enjoy them. Or, even brag about them. I could care less. But, you have access to them, so enjoy what you get that others don't.

I thought they were cool on the test server. But, I hardly bothered to go back for them. They aren't absolutely necessary to 'win', even if you normally run solo or as a two-man party.

Personally, my builds suck. But, they can usually hold their own in the high level parties. If your build is so bad you can't succeed without having to have every buff available in the game, including the ones that have only just been added, rez or reroll that puppy and try some new stats/styles of play.

Let the flaming begin. I'll get the marshmallows.

Skirmish
07-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Right now even guild members can't access the chest as it's bugged to officers only.

Are you sure your not trying to access the chest that is "officer's only"?

There are two types of chests with multiple sizes.
Entire Guild Access. (which was the one that could be accessed by ANYONE visiting the guild ship on Lamania. If they fixed it so only the guild can access it, good for them.)
Officer Only Access. (Just like it says. You can buy a small chest at fairly low-mid level that is officer only. Not sure about higher up if their are larger officer-only chests.)

More than likely, this is the case. The chest is the officer only type.

Eladiun
07-19-2010, 12:45 PM
*snip*

Let the flaming begin. I'll get the marshmallows.

Let me start....+1, fooled ya. I am in complete agreement.

Eladiun
07-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Are you sure your not trying to access the chest that is "officer's only"?

There are two types of chests with multiple sizes.
Entire Guild Access. (which was the one that could be accessed by ANYONE visiting the guild ship on Lamania. If they fixed it so only the guild can access it, good for them.)
Officer Only Access. (Just like it says. You can buy a small chest at fairly low-mid level that is officer only. Not sure about higher up if their are larger officer-only chests.)

More than likely, this is the case. The chest is the officer only type.

Fairly certain we purchased it at or around 20 prior to the Special Access chest being an option. It was giving the error...you are not a Member of this guild. I can check again on exactly which contract was purchased but there have been other threads on this well. Honestly though I stopped caring about the guild chest when I saw the size, 20 slots is a waste of a hookpoint.

Xeraphim
07-19-2010, 01:03 PM

Try and get every quest in the game done in a PuG with terrible players who barely listen in less than an hour.

Getting there isn't the issue. The buffs running out before you even need them is.

Kobu
07-20-2010, 11:15 AM
I agree with longer durations for two reasons--

1) Simple convenience. Running back and forth isn't fun.

2) A one hour duration puts pressure on the group to hurry things along. Fine if you have things running like clockwork and want to go quickly. However, I can see lots of stress added to groups when some people want to take things slower and some members are pushing to finish because their XP buff is going to run out.

moops
07-20-2010, 03:08 PM

Hahaha, like that recent All Lvl 20 Elite Abbot group where a few people from a high level guild on our server were leading it and announced several times that they had to go to their ship for buffs--and the raid still failed. There is no Goggle Buff. . .

Anyway, Thank God i've yet to lead a raid where someone had to go get airship buffs--this would make me kick them from the group purely based on the fact that they think they need buffs to finish any current content.

And to the OP
Turbine wants you to buy the portal for 10pts. . ..

soupertc
07-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Like the buffs, hate the buffs, don't think the buffs are needed....anyway it goes you will be waiting for people to make the run. This slows down questing and adds nothing to anyone's enjoyment of the game.

I don't know. I really don't mind waiting....we have a infamous guildy who we wait on all the time. Only time time itself concerns me is if I'm farming XP and if I do that I won't need buffs so I'll just start the quest and everyone else who feels the need em can catch up..who knows by the time they get there I could be done. If I join a group an have to wait....oh well I do it....i go smoke...refill my drink and chuckle to myself that people are doin it when we are going in on normal. And for real if ya ever are in a group with Inthedark or any of his Alts he will be the last to enter...and we don't have buffs....im dreading to think what it will be like when we do.

hidaan
07-20-2010, 03:25 PM
1) Simple convenience. Running back and forth isn't fun.

Guild ship buff extenders, coming soon to a Turbine Store near you! :rolleyes:

soupertc
07-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Hahaha, like that recent All Lvl 20 Elite Abbot group where a few people from a high level guild on our server were leading it and announced several times that they had to go to their ship for buffs--and the raid still failed. There is no Goggle Buff. . .

Anyway, Thank God i've yet to lead a raid where someone had to go get airship buffs--this would make me kick them from the group purely based on the fact that they think they need buffs to finish any current content.

And to the OP
Turbine wants you to buy the portal for 10pts. . ..

yep. I've been in 4 PUGs with people who got buffs for normal content....to each there own.