PDA

View Full Version : What if real life was like the forum

Thailand_Dan
02-17-2010, 11:33 AM
If real life was like the forum:

* Just as you were about to close the deal on selling your car, someone would barge in and tell the buyer, "He's ripping you off. The real value is 1/2 that."

* Anytime you talked negatively about someone and referred to them by name or the group of friends they hang out with, someone would jump into the conversation and say, "in before lock". Within an hour, someone would show up, and take away your voice box for a month.

* Whenever anyone was inconvenienced in the slightest, they would stand in the middle of the street and announce they were going to rant for 10 minutes to perfect strangers.

* Anytime any law was changed, half the population would scream the country was DooooooooOOmmMMMed!!!

Feel free to add. This is meant in jest, but then again, this is the forums, so go for it.

Zaodan
02-17-2010, 11:41 AM
* Anytime any law was changed, half the population would scream the country was DooooooooOOmmMMMed!!!

That one is real - fyi.

Goldeneye
02-17-2010, 11:41 AM
SECOND~!!!!

~any close debate would be doomed to turn into a heated argument.

Sir_Chonas
02-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Pretty much all of those already happen. Except the voicebox and car one.

#3 is twitter, #4 is the media.

My biggest one is if real life was like forums, more people would be outspoken and voice their opinions instead of locking them up inside then posting them to a blog/punching a pillow/talking to their cats/going postal.

Phidius
02-17-2010, 11:45 AM
In Before The Lock...

Braed
02-17-2010, 11:46 AM
*After buying a new home, the neighbors yell "You're an idiot, I've been here almost five years!!!", every time you walk to your car.

DasLurch
02-17-2010, 11:46 AM
If real life is like the forums, I'd say Seppiku is the only real option...

Eelpout
02-17-2010, 11:51 AM
My biggest one is if real life was like forums, more people would be outspoken and voice their opinions instead of locking them up inside then posting them to a blog/punching a pillow/talking to their cats/going postal.

I think if more people spoke face to face with others in the fashion they do on the forums, there would be more violence not less. When we can all learn to communicate virtually like we would if the other people could physically interact with us, more constructive conversations would occur on forums.

Whooops, I took the serious route.

Barumar
02-17-2010, 11:52 AM
*After buying a new home, the neighbors yell "You're an idiot, I've been here almost five years!!!", every time you walk to your car.

After buying a new home, the neighbors yell "You're an NOOB! You don't mow your grass like that, here in OUR Neighborhood we mow it like this!!!".

Barumar

Tarrant
02-17-2010, 11:52 AM
If real life were like the forums, TARRANT WOULD BE (more) ALL POWERFUL!

ReaperAlexEU
02-17-2010, 11:57 AM
good thing RL isnt like the forums then, or people might be getting their R-peen's out instead of their E-peens ;)

Kraki
02-17-2010, 11:57 AM
This is a video on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URsqTsMfNqY) and may be NSFW, minors, cats, dogs, and puppets (http://www.golem.de/0508/39865-greg_the_bunny.jpg). Those expecting humor may or may not be completely satisfied. Contents may have shifted during shipping.

RvB for those who haven't seen it.

Gotta love Rooster Teeth (http://roosterteeth.com/archive/?sid=rvb).

Kraki

PS Watch PANICS too!

MonsterAbuser
02-17-2010, 12:25 PM
Internet commenter business meeting's 1,2 and 3:

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1771556

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAGxK7i2E4g&feature=player_embedded

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/245519/

NSFW, strong language and adult content, this call may be recorded for training purposes, member FDIC.

Captain_Wizbang
02-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Pre-lock comment.

A lot of people would have either, broken bones, or would never be seen in public again!

But then what the hell, this is the proverbial whiners media.

Captain_Wizbang
02-17-2010, 12:32 PM
please, don't get your tighty whities in a bunch when I say you already have way too much power now!

NOW give me back my rep!

Rydin_Dirtay
02-17-2010, 12:40 PM

The country actually can be doomed by one (or a series of) law(s). Imagine having no money, and no chance to get a loan...how well would ya live? Bed of Newspapers?

but I digress...

phalaeo
02-17-2010, 12:43 PM
We actually held a meeting like this at my old job.
Bosses with a good sense of humour = fun job.

Anarkius
02-17-2010, 12:45 PM

Good thing real life ISN'T like the forums I suppose :p

ddaedelus
02-17-2010, 12:45 PM
I'd have to move to a deserted island just to maintain my sanity. Here in forum land I can just shake my head and click the back button and pretend you all were just joking.

dv8maker123
02-17-2010, 12:54 PM
Every other day I'd have a noob employee that doesnt even report to me barging into my office to start a troll argument about company policies and our business model.

Myrdinn
02-17-2010, 12:58 PM
If real life was like the forum, when someone argue with me on a matter I know I'm right, then I could just shut him up with a glance or my fists, which we can't on forum :P

So, in the end, forum = less violence but more frustration which is harder to vent :D

Thailand_Dan
02-17-2010, 04:36 PM
Good thoughts people. I'll add:

* You try and start an off-beat, not-too-serious, fun topic in a conversation, and someone with a ski-mask comes along, gives you a wedgie and yells out, "negative rep!!!" Then runs off.

Thanks for playing, whoever you are.

Lorz
02-17-2010, 04:49 PM

* Just as you were about to close the deal on selling your car, someone would barge in and tell the buyer, "He's ripping you off. The real value is 1/2 that."

* Anytime you talked negatively about someone and referred to them by name or the group of friends they hang out with, someone would jump into the conversation and say, "in before lock". Within an hour, someone would show up, and take away your voice box for a month.

* Whenever anyone was inconvenienced in the slightest, they would stand in the middle of the street and announce they were going to rant for 10 minutes to perfect strangers.

Feel free to add. This is meant in jest, but then again, this is the forums, so go for it.

Hehe....sometimes you really scare me man...but i like how you think. Now...in before LOCK!

(oh and +1 rep for you sir....because somebody already beat me to the -1 Neg rep and my ski mask is at the cleaners....darn it!!!)

Targoth1
02-17-2010, 04:51 PM
I'd have to move to a deserted island just to maintain my sanity. Here in forum land I can just shake my head and click the back button and pretend you all were just joking.

There are plenty of territories in Northern Canada where freedom still exists and people are civil to each other.

For the rest, the internet is just a reflection of the society we live in minus the thin facade of civility we pretend to possess.

Cylinwolf
02-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Memnir would be walking around the city wearing a sandwich board and carrying some markers.

He'd walk up to anyone having a conversation, draw a silly picture on the sandwich board, everyone'd giggle, and he'd be on his merry way.

--

I was trying to figure out what A_D would be doing but the first thing that comes to mind is that he'd just stand somewhere and glare at people.

Fomori
02-17-2010, 05:05 PM
One thing is correct, in real life people are much less funnier than they think they are, just like these forums...

(including this comment, meant as a serious line rather than a witty retort)

Hambo
02-17-2010, 06:13 PM
Good thing real life ISN'T like the forums I suppose :p

...But you could end any discussion (argument?) by comparing your opponent to Hitler!!! :D

oberon131313
02-17-2010, 06:20 PM
You mean real life isn't like the forums?!?

*runs off to take down all of his MMOtivationals from the office*

Coldin
02-17-2010, 06:31 PM
...But you could end any discussion (argument?) by comparing your opponent to Hitler!!! :D

Whee! Godwin's Law!

suitepotato
02-17-2010, 06:35 PM

Also, you could scroll through our concerns before a new development cycle started. Just sort of reach up into thin air and drag downward like a VR Windows 7 tablet that everyone could see. "Well, this might be a bad idea. Look here back in 2007 when we..."

Actually, you should just do this during meetings anyhow without telling people and read back things you memorized and claim you're consulting your records. Watch all the raised eyebrows. For added effect, refer to yourself in the third person. That always makes everything better.

EDIT: Don't tell me none of you in IT or other white collar business have never thought about this. What's best is when you have a few compatriots do it too, and watch the veeps and CEO feel self-conscious so they start doing it too.

krud
02-17-2010, 06:36 PM

Sounds like Congress.

Yagi
02-17-2010, 07:11 PM
People ranting at newbs would be asked to leave the maternity ward.

People ranting at vets would have to call for an amber lamp.

petegunn
02-17-2010, 07:22 PM
If real life were like the forums, TARRANT WOULD BE (more) ALL POWDER PUFF!

Fixed it for ya ;-)

Yea if real life was like the forums people would be getting laid out like kitchen towels.