PDA

View Full Version : Ethereal Rest Shrine scam

Krohon
11-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Do not buy it! It is one use only, not once per dungeon or once per day, not even once per character. Just one time badly overpriced potion. Why is a scam? It is not clear by reading the description how to use use it, I was confused and I believe others were and will be to.

Natulyre
11-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Do not buy it! It is one use only, not once per dungeon or once per day, not even once per character. Just one time badly overpriced potion. Why is a scam? It is not clear by reading the description how to use use it, I was confused and I believe others were and will be to.

I don't understand how you could have been confused by the description... Seriously.

Algeroth
11-08-2009, 12:26 AM
While I didn't buy it myself before asking someone if it was one use, I want to point out:

(1) It has a high price (695pts. I believe, or approximately $8.80)

(2) The description does tend to make one think that it is usable more then once, and in fact it is, but only within the same dungeon.

While those who apparently insulted you (saying you couldn't read beyond the first two words) likely think this is awesome, I do not and appreciate you warning the community about this waste of an item.

To me it doesn't make any sense to price an item that high if it's one use, that's about 1/2 the price of a month's subscription for any other MMO for the ability to recover your SP and probably 3 / 4ths of your HP once in a dungeon (maybe twice if you stick around long enough).

I suggest (though maybe I'll get flamed as well):

(a) Making the shrine usable once per X amount of RL hours, possibly 12 or 24 seems fair.

(b) Making it usable once per dungeon

Personally, I like (b) but I can see how that would be overpowered. $8.80 for a daily (or twice daily) trump card for your group (SURPRISE! Here's a rest shrine!) would be awesome, especially since you can't use it in any raid type dungeon.

Lithic
11-08-2009, 12:36 AM
Supplies like that are meant to be emergency measures ONLY. They are not meant to be consumables everyone carries at all times and uses as much as a heal scroll.

Such items are there in case you belive that saving a wiped party and avoiding a 30% exp loss (20% reentry, 10% persistence bonuses down the drain) is worth more than a few hundred TP. Similarly with ammo and components, they are there in case you are almost to the end of a quest and find out your sorcerer ran out of haste/firewall components before th elite undead boss.

sirgog
11-08-2009, 03:35 AM
I've always thought of the Rest Shrine as a way for Turbine to get a lot of cash out of rich players; nothing else.

The only consumable from the store I've really ever seen used is the mana potions, although I have a small stack of Rest of the Eladrin statues (not obtained from the store, they are from turning in Small Eberron Dragonshards)

Aranticus
11-08-2009, 04:31 AM
While I didn't buy it myself before asking someone if it was one use, I want to point out:

(2) The description does tend to make one think that it is usable more then once, and in fact it is, but only within the same dungeon.

While those who apparently insulted you (saying you couldn't read beyond the first two words) likely think this is awesome, I do not and appreciate you warning the community about this waste of an item.

To me it doesn't make any sense to price an item that high if it's one use, that's about 1/2 the price of a month's subscription for any other MMO for the ability to recover your SP and probably 3 / 4ths of your HP once in a dungeon (maybe twice if you stick around long enough).

(a) Making the shrine usable once per X amount of RL hours, possibly 12 or 24 seems fair.

Personally, I like (b) but I can see how that would be overpowered. $8.80 for a daily (or twice daily) trump card for your group (SURPRISE! Here's a rest shrine!) would be awesome, especially since you can't use it in any raid type dungeon.

Once placed, the Rest Shrine cannot be moved but can be reused every 5 minutes on solo difficulty and 15 minutes on normal (no re-use on Hard or Elite difficulty)

this is the description, if you are telling me that it may not be reused on any difficulty, then its possible there is a bug. if not, the "once place cannot be moved" pretty much says it all. unless one has absolutely no command of english, otherwise its pretty clear that the shrine is stuck there

Algeroth
11-09-2009, 12:32 AM
this is the description, if you are telling me that it may not be reused on any difficulty, then its possible there is a bug. if not, the "once place cannot be moved" pretty much says it all. unless one has absolutely no command of english, otherwise its pretty clear that the shrine is stuck there

If you really want to get technical, the selection then states that the shrine will permanently be in that instance at that spot and may be reused every 5 or 15 minutes depending on the circumstance, it makes no mention of the shrine being used once nor does it state that the shrine will disappear after any given interval.

My point is it's still ambiguous; I still feel it would be better if they included a clause that stated, "This shrine may only be used once."

Regardless, the shrine is still a bit of a rip-off in my opinion. It costs almost $9 for a one use item. I guess people who are fine with this will still spend money on it, that's the only justification turbine needs to continue to offer the item at this price. If you're all right with this as well, who am I to judge.

geeliet
11-09-2009, 08:18 AM
well, yes and no..

i also think that its way overpriced, but maybe its not.
i dont like that the description doesnt really say whats it about.
that u can reuse it inside the same dungeon again was something i did not know and learned from this thread.
now think about it:
u place it in SOS, or some of the Shavarath Quests.

it will clearly make much things eazier. now lets say they would keep the price, but give everybody 3 rest shrines. so 1 would be $3 but only comes in quantity 3.

now lots of people would buy this thing, place their rest shrines all over the world.
can u imagen what this would do to the balance of the game?

you maybe run SOS with a party and will find out that everybody put a shrine in it.
so you will have 6 more shrines. would this make some eazy run? i bet so.

so i tell u what this is all about. maybe a lil of a scam.
but the real thing, its for the Vip's

something to spend your monthly tp on that really can make a difference.

Uska
11-09-2009, 08:25 AM
looks pretty clear to me and it is overpriced.

Algeroth
11-09-2009, 08:26 AM
well, yes and no..

i also think that its way overpriced, but maybe its not.
i dont like that the description doesnt really say whats it about.
that u can reuse it inside the same dungeon again was something i did not know and learned from this thread.
now think about it:
u place it in SOS, or some of the Shavarath Quests.

it will clearly make much things eazier. now lets say they would keep the price, but give everybody 3 rest shrines. so 1 would be $3 but only comes in quantity 3.

now lots of people would buy this thing, place their rest shrines all over the world.
can u imagen what this would do to the balance of the game?

you maybe run SOS with a party and will find out that everybody put a shrine in it.
so you will have 6 more shrines. would this make some eazy run? i bet so.

so i tell u what this is all about. maybe a lil of a scam.
but the real thing, its for the Vip's

something to spend your monthly tp on that really can make a difference.

Those are actually some good points, especially w/ the VIP part. I guess I just wish it were reworded still (I did ask in chat before I even thought of buying one, causing me to stay away), but can understand a bit better based on what you've said why it is this way. I never really considered the VIP points, they have mostly everything unlocked anyways so why not buy a rest shrine here or there.

Ironsolid
11-09-2009, 11:27 AM

Your sad attempt at a grammatically correct insult to the rest of the people flaming the OP has made my eyes bleed.

I

Hope

You

Broke

Your

Enter

Key

On a side note, your idea for a rest shrine usable once or twice per day has just made all the elites end-game pointlessly easy. You fail, get off of my forums.

Algeroth
11-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Your sad attempt at a grammatically correct insult to the rest of the people flaming the OP has made my eyes bleed.

I

Hope

You

Broke

Your

Enter

Key

On a side note, your idea for a rest shrine usable once or twice per day has just made all the elites end-game pointlessly easy. You fail, get off of my forums.

I believe you meant to say: "...has CAUSED my eyes to bleed."

Maxelcat
11-11-2009, 11:18 AM
dont use tp for it and get it from your small shards....

Algeroth
11-11-2009, 12:06 PM
dont use tp for it and get it from your small shards....

I'm not familiar with small shards, but it sounds like there is another way to get the shrine. I'm unfamiliar with this; could you elucidate me about the small shards?

Missing_Minds
11-11-2009, 12:30 PM
I'm not familiar with small shards, but it sounds like there is another way to get the shrine. I'm unfamiliar with this; could you elucidate me about the small shards?

http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=1818712&postcount=14

Funny thing those player written guides.

KoboldKiller
11-11-2009, 12:55 PM
http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=1818712&postcount=14

Funny thing those player written guides.

Looks like I might want to start collecting those.

Ereshkigal
11-11-2009, 04:45 PM

I agree, considering I can get 20% bonus to xp for 6 hours for 295 points, a free rest shrine for a single dungeon at 695 points seems silly. I can't imagine any reason to buy this for this price. It's either going to be an item of convenience or a method to save a quest that has gone horribly, horribly, horribly wrong.

Turbine should either remove the item completely ( I vote for this option myself ) or price it so that people will buy them and use them. If it's not something that generates a steady stream of revenue then it shouldn't be in the store at all. As it is, it is generating frustration with some of the playerbase and that's not a good thing for Turbine.

PentegarnDarras
11-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Ironsolid
Community Member

Obvious troll is obvious.

TemperanceWolf
11-18-2009, 12:15 PM
the resurection shrine from the store is expensive. When i first saw it i was excited. Then i read the description and saw it was only for one dungeon. Every party member can use it and that's great, but i'd rather see a semi-perm item in my inventory for use in multiple dungeons for the price. Say maybe 5 dungeons? I think that's reasonable for the price and still have it so every member of the party can use it.

TemperanceWolf
11-18-2009, 12:16 PM
the resurection shrine from the store is expensive. When i first saw it i was excited. Then i read the description and saw it was only for one dungeon. Every party member can use it and that's great, but i'd rather see a semi-perm item in my inventory for use in multiple dungeons for the price. Say maybe 5 dungeons? I think that's reasonable for the price and still have it so every member of the party can use it.

JGil128
03-23-2010, 01:04 PM
alot of people seem to be making alot of complaints about the ethreal shrines saying that its a waste and such, but your not being realistic.

when they design the zones, the dificuty of the quest and how many shrines you have are verry important for game balance. if you could use the ethreal shrines as easily as you seem to want then what is the point of playing a game with no dificulty. having a shrine wherever you want it is insane, you have to understand the implications to someone like me(and the majority of players on my server at least) who has multiple lvl 20 toons. it WAY TOO POWERFULL. the extreme cost can be paid once in a while to do something like an EPIC Wiz king, and only in limited amount. if one person has ONE ethreal shrine it can make or break certain Epic runs.

its all about balance, and you cant ignore the high end game implications for exploits, just so u can have a easier time getin to max lvl. you need to be more realistic.