PDA

View Full Version : Composite and non-composite bows

Gryfalcon
09-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Is there a difference between them? the price for composite bows is more expensive too but what are their benefits?

spyyder976
09-22-2009, 10:09 AM
look at the range; composite bows shoot further

Rekker
09-22-2009, 10:30 AM
There is no real difference ingame. If they wanted to "create" the shoot further affect they could let the Composite Bows grant an additional +10 to Spot that stacks with all other enhancements thus allowing you to see targets that are farther away.

tihocan
09-22-2009, 10:49 AM
look at the range; composite bows shoot further
Actually all players' ranged weapons have an infinite range in DDO.

Gryfalcon
09-22-2009, 12:51 PM
okk.. thats kind of contradicting =X anyway whats does this Use magic device thingy do? does boost my magic weapons (eg. magical swords)? and what is considered magical?

tihocan
09-22-2009, 02:01 PM
okk.. thats kind of contradicting =X anyway whats does this Use magic device thingy do? does boost my magic weapons (eg. magical swords)? and what is considered magical?
See http://ddowiki.com/page/UMD

Brennie
09-22-2009, 09:51 PM
Long story short: there is no practical difference between composite longbows and regular longbows, or composite shortbows and regular shortbows.

The largest difference between the two is that composite bows often look a lot cooler when equipped.

Brahmina
09-22-2009, 10:13 PM
I agree with Brennie--it's the "cool" look factor. But then again, I heard looks could kill. My ranger uses a regular looking longbow she found lying around, and have used it quite successfully. Okie, I'll be quiet.

Furluge
09-22-2009, 11:20 PM
It's something from pen and paper that turbine changed so much that they didn't have a purpose anymore. In pen and paper Composite longbows shoot 10 feet farther than regular longbows. But the main featuer of composite bows could also be made in "mighty" varieties. A mighty composite longbow would have a Str Modifier required to use it without taking penalties. If you had a high enough strength modifier you could fire the bow and add the mighty value to your damage. You could buy your bows this way without difficulty it just cost 100 gp or something extra per mighty bonus on the bow, so naturally if you bought one of these you'd get it made to match your strength modifier, so you could get your strength modifier as a bonus to damage.

However in DDO there are no might composite longbows. Instead rangers were given the bow strength feat which applies to all bows.

Speaking of pen and paper, we're still missing some awesome weapons like the elven thinblade, elven courtblade, great falchion, greatbows, and the eberron specific weapons like the talenta tangat.

Gryfalcon
09-23-2009, 04:45 AM
haha right thanks ppl..... =)