PDA

View Full Version : Premium(no not VIP) and Battlecleric

watmo2009
09-15-2009, 04:10 PM
Hi here. New here loving it so far. I really didn't think I would ever spend any real cash on this but just 3 days in I am already browsing the shop.

The store website says that your account is changed to Premium (still f2p but with added perks such as 4 character slots) if you make even one DDO store purchase, or if you are and old subscriber (which i am not)

Is this true? I ask because I was told in game that this is not the case. However, I also noticed a lot of confusion in game even by veterans who are telling newbies like me that the Premium and VIP are the same thing which is not what the website says.

Second question:
I am going to make a battle cleric of sorts. Im more concerned about the cleric side but I wanted to take 1 lvl of fighter so I can get the extra weapons (including dwarven axes since im a dwarf). My question is: what would be a good fighter feet to take when I pick to level as a fighter at lvl 5? Or should I ignore all fighter feats and just pick a cleric one (or maybe you cant even do that, maybe you have to take fighter feats if you picked fighter that level)

Junts
09-15-2009, 04:16 PM
most vip players dont understand the premium status; one purchase will uncap your auction house and plat caps and give you 2 more character slots, this is correct. They've only ever been vips so the particulars of free/premium status are only things they've heard about here or there.

Take your fighter level earlya nd take the toughness feat. I would suggest a feat layout like this, assuming fighter is your level 2 level:

1: extend spell
2f: toughness
3: power attack
6: maximize spell
9: quicken spell
12: improved critical: slashing weapons
15:
18:

you have two feats available, for which you are free to take a wide variety of options (empower spell, empower healing spell, etc)

take statistics like so:

strength 16
con 16
wisdom 16

You'd have 2 points left over at that point; you can spend them wherever you like; dexterity for reflex save, or intelligence for a 2nd skill point.

Depending on how much you want to focus on melee, you can either put level ups in strength or wisdom (if you wanted to be in wisdom, you could drop to 15 strength and put wisdom to 17). Focusing on strength and using a single one-handed weapon is not advised; you are better off going with wisdom and also being avery effective caster. If you go the casting path, take spell penetration and greater spell pen with your last two feats.

Garth_of_Sarlona
09-15-2009, 04:22 PM
yes it's true that you become premium (4 slots, bank/plat/ah limits removed) when you purchase any points package for real money. You'll still need to loot/buy levelling sigils though, and purchase content packs/classes/races. Premium is not the same as VIP.

You can only pick from a limited list of feats with your free fighter feats. The list is here (http://ddowiki.com/page/Fighter_bonus_feat) and also on the compendium but you'll struggle to find it there :)

Remember you can pick a normal feat if you're leveling as a fighter on your 3rd, 6th, 9th (etc...) level - it's just the fighter feats you get at 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th (etc..) that have the limited feat choice.

Garth

watmo2009
09-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Thanks much for the replies.

If I recall I took 14 st 16 wis 14 con(i think) and I don't remember the rest. My thought was that I would primarily be a "standard" cleric but I wanted to get some fighting ability in as I will solo often

Im a lvl 4 cleric now. I actually already too toughness at level one and I took extend spell later.. when it offered me the next feat. When I lvl up next I plan on taking one lvl of fighter. This will unlock the tower shield and the martial weapons, including dwarven axe which I figured would help me out in combat.

Looks like improved critical would be worth taking as my bonus fighter feat since I already have toughness.

By the way I would like to shake the hand of the marketing dept. This f2p is going to work out very well I think. The "you get to be premium if you make even one purchase" is ingenious too. Once you go through the effort of getting your credit card on file for the store it will make future on the fly purchase so much easier and so much more tempting. Curse you Turbine marketing for your tempting trickery. Now I will end up paying for stuff here as well as EVE accounts and I will like it.

<edited: now with spell check goodness>

Junts
09-15-2009, 04:37 PM
yep you are in fine shape; the stat differnces are minor, make sure oyu take wisdom with your level ups and you'll be good to go as a casting cleric with support melee ability

at higher levels you will probably forego the dwarven axe for a greataxe, but sheilds are great until level 10, so stick to them

Improved critical requires abase attack bonus of 8; you will not be able to select it until level 12, as you get 3 bab per 4 levels.