PDA

View Full Version : Another noob question about armor?

Artaniss
09-13-2009, 02:04 PM
I have a dwarf cleric and am proficient in heavy armor but when I put it on it show a -6 armor check value. Now I have no idea what this means but a negative 6 cant be good lol... Can anyone explain what this means and how to correct this? Wow what a big difference from WOW lol... This game makes you think and is great I love it....

hydra_ex
09-13-2009, 02:06 PM
I have a dwarf cleric and am proficient in heavy armor but when I put it on it show a -6 armor check value. Now I have no idea what this means but a negative 6 cant be good lol... Can anyone explain what this means and how to correct this? Wow what a big difference from WOW lol... This game makes you think and is great I love it....

Certain skills (jump, tumble, move silently, swim, etc) are affected by an armor check penalty. Those skills generally require motion. Other skills (haggle, bluff, concentration), ones that don't require motion, are unaffected by your armor check penalty.

But really, as a cleric, are you going to really be sneaking or being acrobatic? :)

PS Glad you like the game!

cm2_supernova
09-13-2009, 02:12 PM
The only skill that ACP really effects for a cleric is jump...but a friendly caster\ranger can help you out in that department :)

dopey69
09-13-2009, 02:13 PM
the spell failure you see on your heavy armour does not apply to your cleric spells heavy armour= happy cleric :)

cm2_supernova
09-13-2009, 02:22 PM
the spell failure you see on your heavy armour does not apply to your cleric spells heavy armour= happy cleric :)

Absolutley...a very meaningful AC can be attained by clerics at low-mid levels by wearing FP and a shield.

Bilger
09-13-2009, 02:30 PM
Absolutley...a very meaningful AC can be attained by clerics at low-mid levels by wearing FP and a shield.

And at high lvls can reach a 60+ AC np which a few people I know have so meaningful cleric AC is just not for the low lvls.

Yes, does take a lil grinding but can get a meaningful AC on a cleric in the higher LVL's.:D

cm2_supernova
09-13-2009, 02:35 PM
And at high lvls can reach a 60+ AC np which a few people I know have so meaningful cleric AC is just not for the low lvls.

Yes, does take a lil grinding but can get a meaningful AC on a cleric in the higher LVL's.:D

Especially a dorfin cleric with a level or two of fighter...I think once the cleric PrE's come out it will be even better.

DasLurch
09-13-2009, 04:01 PM
The only skills that -6 will really effect you as a cleric are Balance and Jump. The armor check stuff is not all that big of a deal in all honesty. Hope that helps.

Vormaerin
09-13-2009, 05:43 PM
Armor Check penalty is there to hose over the Fighter/rogues :P Its main impact is on Rogue trap skills, stealth, and acrobatics.

KualaBangoDango
09-14-2009, 01:58 AM
Just keep in mind (in case you didn't know yet) that heavy armor and a shield slow you down when swimming and lower the amount of breath you can have underwater. So, before trying to swim through underwater tunnels or anything, take off your chest-piece and shield and put them in your inventory...you'll get a lot more swim time that way. Then when you get where you're going and are out of the water you can re-equip your stuff.