PDA

View Full Version : Online Preview player coming back. I have a few Bard questions.

drclawizdead
09-11-2009, 12:39 PM
So it's been a while since I played, and I just want some opinions :)

I don't even remember a Bard in the preview, and I've always loved them in the P&P game,
so is it a good idea to have one as a first character? It says they are "challenging" in solo play, but
that doesn't really mean much since I party in all the games I play.

Also, do I need the top gear to survive with a Bard? Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I
couldn't post in the Bard section, presumably because I'm a F2P.

Thanks.

Arianrhod
09-11-2009, 01:53 PM
I think the trick with a bard (as with any character, really) is to figure out in advance how you plan to kill stuff and build accordingly. Bards naturally shine at healing and buffing, but they're pretty lackluster at killing stuff unless built to do so. If you want a melee bard, make sure to put enough points in strength & con, and take the right feats to be good with your chosen weapon style (this will also require a pretty high starting dex if you decide to go with 2-weapon fighting). Keep in mind you'll have to deal with arcane spell failure if you use any shield other than a light mithral shield, so be prepared to switch out the shield whenever you cast a spell.

If you want a caster bard, be prepared to let minions do your fighting for you, since bards don't get much in the way of damaging spells. You can group a lot and let your groupmates be your minions, or you can charm, summon and crowd control your way through a dungeon (or both, if your group lets you - groups are notorious for breaking crowd control, though).

Either way, keep an eye on the auction house for good deals on mithral breastplates and other choice gear. It may not be required, but it sure can make life easier ;)

Olympia
09-11-2009, 02:54 PM
I agree with Arianrhod above; while the bard description says that the class can be good at melee or spellcasting, you really should focus on one or the other, primarily. A warchanter build (here's my 28-point Cannith build (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2398143&postcount=31)) can be a ton of fun to play and quite effective in melee combat...but will generally suffer in the spellcasting department. Likewise, a CHR-specced bard can (with the capstone) have the highest spell DC's in the game...but would not likely be much of a combatant. Keep in mind that most bard spells are CC themed and do not deal direct damage.

Decide which route you wish to take and you should do just fine.

sirgog
09-11-2009, 11:18 PM
I agree with Arianrhod above; while the bard description says that the class can be good at melee or spellcasting, you really should focus on one or the other, primarily. A warchanter build (here's my 28-point Cannith build (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2398143&postcount=31)) can be a ton of fun to play and quite effective in melee combat...but will generally suffer in the spellcasting department. Likewise, a CHR-specced bard can (with the capstone) have the highest spell DC's in the game...but would not likely be much of a combatant. Keep in mind that most bard spells are CC themed and do not deal direct damage.

Decide which route you wish to take and you should do just fine.

As Bards that are crowd-control specced can do little to red and purple named foes, I recommend the melee bard approach.

I recommend planning on using a two-handed weapon at endgame.