PDA

View Full Version : New DDO player, old Dungeons and Dragons Fan!

Darrendil
09-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Hi there guys, as the title states, i´m an old fan of Dungeons and Dragons, but i´m new to DDO so i´m not used to the enhancements and paths. That´s it if by paths the folk of DDO mean Prestige Classes, which by the looks of it it´s pretty much it. If paths actually are prestige classes, which are the prerequisites to get them, how can i become one?. Searched the compendium but found nothing regarding it.
Now my real question is the following. I want to create a Rouge, speciality assasination, the real paths name is The Dark Blade right? Generally i play a chaotic neutral rouge, but i´ve read over the forum that maybe it´s convenient to be another alignment because of items and stuff.. Bearing in mind that im gonna follow the assasin path, is this so?
Reading through the forum i found there was a great deal of importance in between starting with 16 int or 14 and adding those 2 to cha. Is there a general accepted statwise build for an assasin? Will it really make any difference if i start with 14 or 16 int?
I´ve also read a suggestion that while becoming an assasin, it was better to go mechanic at start, avoid getting assasination I and just start on the II. Is this so?
And last but not least, at the moment i´m not with a lot of time to play, so probably i´ll be doing most of the content in solo mode, is the assasin good at it? I´m not asking if its ubber at it or anything like it, i rather like it to be a challenge. What i´m asking if it´s not a complete fail, or near complete fail lol.... I would like to know is this char is one which can progress through the game content at a pretty standard rate, and not to be stuck in the same spot day after day.

I know and understand that it all gets down to testing this for myself, but as i already stated, i´m not with a lot of time at the moment and i really would like to squeeze the best experience out of playing DDO.

Thanks a lot for reading and i´m sorry for the dull and long post, but i would really appreciate if someone could answer them for me.

Regards.

Darrendil
09-14-2009, 10:21 AM
This is just great... someone makes a reasonable post asking for some help, it receives 84 visits and no answer at all....
I guess the only way to get some help around MMO´s now a days is making some senseless post like the following:

I just wanted to know which would be the most ubber class!!!! Which class pwns everything, inlcluding the NPCS and Elminister himself.... I´s so gonna own all your asses.... Im gonna redefine ubberness!!!... i´m a mentally deranged moron..... plz help me be ubber..... :D:D:D

Is this the way to receive any kind of help?

KualaBangoDango
09-14-2009, 02:03 PM
Apparently your bump worked. :)

Here's my answer, though I'm kinda new myself so I'm not positive.

My understanding is the the paths in the class section of the character creation are not prestige classes, rather they are pre-set basic builds that new players, or those unfamiliar with the D&D stats, can select as a basic "I want my guy to do this sorta thing". This is also the reason why there is a 4th option "customize" that will let you actually assign all your points/skills yourself. The computer then does all the stat/skill work and merely lets the player finish choosing race and appearance. In the actual game, after reaching a new level, the class trainer gives you the option of continuing the pre-set path you started with...letting the computer assign your feats and points...or gives you the option to pick them yourself.

It is all about helping new players get into the game faster without having to spend days reading guides and manuals for a basic understanding of what's going on.

As for your Rogue/Assassin questions, I don't have any answers. Like I said, I'm new myself and have not yet played that class.

Good luck.

Darrendil
09-14-2009, 02:26 PM
Thanks a lot for the answer :D:D..
It´s been helpful into clarifying the exact use of the templates. So in theory there are no prestige classes as in PnP, you just customize your char and by customizing it you just fall into the prestige categories?. Meaning that if i took certain enhancements i would be more or less like what an arcane archer should be... There wont be any kind of tag stating that i´m an arcane archer or anything like it, it´s just that by selecting certain skills i can build a more or less arcane archer... Am i right?

Once more thanks a lot for the answer, i´m sorry i had to bump the way i did it..

gorloch
09-14-2009, 02:29 PM
I am not all that familiar with the Way of the Assasin since I went the path of the acrobat on mine. I will try and give you as much info as I can and hope a couple of people would be kind enough to post thier assasin builds to give you an idea of what you are going to want for feats/enhancements/skills.

Kuala is right as to that there are certain pre made paths that one can take and would probably be kept up through the trainer. I myself prefer to customize my own so uncertain to exactly how one goes about keeping up their paths.

As far as starting with a higher char or higher int all depends on where you want your umd (use magic device) to be at. I myself have a 28 point elven rogue I created over three years ago. I started with a 10 char and her umd is high enough to equip weapons/armor/items that I want to wear. It all depends on whether or not you want to be able to cast scrolls and such or jsut to be able to equip most of what you come across as to how high youwant to start with your umd. If you want to change your starting ability scores then you are going to want to customize your character.

I have also belonged to a guild since I first started so I haven't really had to solo much. I find that grouping in this game brings alot more out of it than soloing but it is possible. Again hopefully someone give a little more advice as how to go about creating a rogueish type that can solo a little more easily. One thing I will recommend is getting the subtle backstab enhancements and diplomacy (if going to be in parites) or bluff (if soloing).

Welcome to the game and enjoy.

PIXA

Edited for last comment. Turbine put prestige classes in through enhancements also referred to as PrEs (prestige enhancements).

Arianrhod
09-14-2009, 02:31 PM
Let's see....

Some of the paths lead to prestige enhancement lines, but not all of them. If you browse through the Compendium, it can tell you what each path will look like at higher levels.

If you know D&D 3.5 well enough to feel confident creating a character from scratch, you'll probably be happier choosing the "custom" button rather than one of the paths. You'll still be able to train prestige enhancement lines when you get to the right level (generally level 6, though multiclassed characters can take longer). It's a good idea to check the "show unavailable" box when looking at enhancements once you get ingame, so as to get an idea of what feats & enhancements you'll need to take as prerequisites for a prestige enhancement line.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask - it may take us some time to respond, but we (ok, some of us - I can only speak for myself, of course) really do prefer the well-thought-out questions to the general cacophany. We're just a bit deafened at present ;)

Darrendil
09-15-2009, 08:38 AM
Thx a lot for the feedback guys! :D
I started my custom rouge and and i´m gonna take it all the way down to assasin enhancements. I was´t aware what was the UMD that appeared on some items which prevented me from using it.. lol... now i know ... :D:D thx. Thing is when i started my char i don´t know why, but forgot to put any skillpoint on umd, so i´ll just pump it once i pass another level.
As for the build i´m just gonna go with what i think is the right choice for me :D... I´m gonna go for pure, no multiclassing.
So far so good, i´m really enjoying the game. Doing some quest here, some there... Looking for a way to get my dragonmark :D

Once more thx a lot for the feedback :D

Waffle_Stomper
09-15-2009, 02:00 PM
From my experience so far, I think Turbine did a good job translating P&P into DDO. While you may not understand everything, I think you will have a very good knowledge base of the basic mechanics to build upon. This is my first run through and my Paladin just hit level 6. While I don't think he's anything amazing, I definitely feel like he's solid because I played P&P for years. Definitely do the research in the compendium and check out the class forums to see what other people are doing (even though we can't post there :(). I do think you will get a lot of good advice from the DDO vets that stop by the free player forums though because it shows they're interested in helping. Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself and good luck with your build! :)

Darrendil
09-16-2009, 08:35 AM
Thx a lot for the help :D:D... It´s nice to know there are still ppl willing to help out :D

I´m all my way to acquiring assasin I :D:D...Just reached lvl 3 last night...Slow but steady :D

amethystdragon
09-16-2009, 08:54 AM
http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO/

you might want to consider using a chacter planner. Above is a link for one that I prefer. It will show you what feats are needed for an enhancement line. It will also show you what feats that you will automaticly get. I find it very helpful.

anatoli11
09-16-2009, 09:15 AM
Amethystdragon gave you the link to Ron's excellent character planner. The planner will help you plan what you need for enhancements. All the rogue specialities are done through enhancements (not feats), so you can swap between them by going to the trainer and resetting your enhancement points.

I would take mechanic I at level 6, then at level 12 re-enhance for assasin. The mechanic stuff is much more useful for the early levels, and the assisin stuff is very situational. Acrobat is a gas to play.

Weapon proficiancies are tough For a pure class rogue - you really only get the simple weapon, so keep an eye out for good sickles, daggers, etc.

Mke sure you max disable device, search and UMD every level. Spot, hide, move silently are of second importance. Take some pick lock, but you don't need the maximum skill ranks. Tumble, balance, and jump are also worthwhile skills to take.

Welcome and enjoy!

Darrendil
09-16-2009, 11:01 AM
I´ve used the char planner amethystdragon stated and got something like this:

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.10
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Sikil Rauko
Level 6 Chaotic Neutral Halfling Male
(6 Rogue)
Hit Points: 76
Spell Points: 0
BAB: 4\4
Fortitude: 5
Reflex: 10
Will: 2

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Stats Modified Stats
Abilities (Level 1) (Level 6)
Strength 14 14
Dexterity 16 19
Constitution 14 14
Intelligence 14 14
Wisdom 8 8
Charisma 8 8

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 6)
Balance 3 4
Bluff -1 2
Concentration 2 2
Diplomacy -1 8
Disable Device 6 11
Haggle -1 -1
Heal -1 -1
Hide 7 19
Intimidate -1 -1
Jump 6 8
Listen 3 8
Move Silently 7 18
Open Lock 7 12
Perform n/a n/a
Repair 2 2
Search 6 11
Spot 3 8
Swim 2 2
Tumble 7 13
Use Magic Device 3 8

Level 1 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Two Weapon Fighting

Level 2 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Rogue Damage Boost I
Enhancement: Rogue Haste Boost I
Enhancement: Rogue Faster Sneaking I
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Accuracy I
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training I
Enhancement: Rogue Hide I
Enhancement: Rogue Move Silently I

Level 3 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Weapon Finesse
Enhancement: Halfling Dexterity I
Enhancement: Halfling Cunning I
Enhancement: Halfling Guile I

Level 4 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Rogue Damage Boost II
Enhancement: Rogue Subtle Backstabbing I
Enhancement: Rogue Hide II

Level 5 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Rogue Move Silently II
Enhancement: Rogue Dexterity I

Level 6 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Toughness
Enhancement: Rogue Assassin I

Thing is i´m not so certain as to the skills. Which really do matter in ddo?
Stats while i´m doing this char on the planner i cant really recall if it was +1 con or another stat...

What do you think so far? Should i pump more str as from now? or should i stick to dex? My rrogression to lvl 20 is get dex to 22 and pump two points into str for the att and dmg...

DasLurch
09-16-2009, 02:21 PM
From looking at your build there, you are using Dex as your attack stat. If you are using Weapon Finnesse I'd say stick with adding to your Dex. If you are looking to add some punch to your damage #'s, I'd reccomend trying to continue adding the 2 weapon fighting lines to your character. (you need 17 base Dex and a BAB of +11 for greater 2 weapon fighting, and imp 2 weapon fighting is already availible with your stats they way they are now.) I'm guessing that you are thinking of taking imp 2wf at 9, and imp crit___ at 12. so you seem to be on the right path if I were bulding this character. There are also feats that can help with your damage (power attack leaps to mind first) as well.

As for your skills, they matter to Rogues. Alot. Keep your UMD, Search, and Disable maxed. After that I'd say spot, balance, hide, move silent, open locks, and diplomacy will be big for you. Tumble is nice for preventing fall damage, and it's fun to play with. Those will be the big ones for you. Maybe bluff instead of Dip, depending on which benefits the assasinate ability better. I don't have any practice with that enhancement chain. It loks nice so far. keep it up!