PDA

View Full Version : Devs, explanation/action needed.

TheJusticar
09-04-2009, 12:33 AM
Before I wrote this I ran 3 of the new quests plus exploring around the devil battlefield.

Two things came to mind that, IMO, need explanation/action from the developers.

1) Extremely, insanely low XP for the time-effort required to beat the new quests. 4.5K base for a lvl 19 quest? Seriously? This makes no sense neither from the DDO perspective nor from the the PnP counter part. A level 19 quest should, at the very least, give 20K base in order to match with effort and much larger XP needed to level. And the quests that I've ran are no easy cake. Very tough and challeging and time consuming and worst of all a great resource drain ... which brings me to my second point.

2) The resource use for casters/clerics is completely out of control. With two AC70+ tempest tanks and one intimitank the poor cleric had to chug a pot of mana every other room, it seems. The sorc wasn't that far behind I think I saw him drinking 4 pots before we hit a shrine. Add to that deathwarded, Freedom of Movement, True Seeing trash mobs and you got a recipe for a nasty fight on every room. And since they've added grazing hits and whatnot, even the AC70+ tempesty tanks needed a lot of healing on every encounter. When I ran with my sorc, I HAD TO help with the healing most of the way since the cleric had ran out of mana more times that I care to remember. This is not challenging. This is simply frustrating.

So, so far we have a double whammy, pi*s poor XP and quests that seem to have been designed so that both casters and clerics have to use mana pots until they're forced to buy them from the store. That's just not cool, devs. Not cool at all.

My suggestion, for what's worth, is to normalize XP to what a level 19 quest SHOULD earn and either add couple of shrines here and there or make the encounters a little less rough. And that's not even counting the new raid, which, I hear is like a freaking mana vaccum.

Godspeed.

Quikster
09-04-2009, 12:58 AM
Before I wrote this I ran 3 of the new quests plus exploring around the devil battlefield.

1) Extremely, insanely low XP for the time-effort required to beat the new quests. 4.5K base for a lvl 19 quest? Seriously? This makes no sense neither from the DDO perspective nor from the the PnP counter part. A level 19 quest should, at the very least, give 20K base in order to match with effort and much larger XP needed to level. And the quests that I've ran are no easy cake. Very tough and challeging and time consuming and worst of all a great resource drain ... which brings me to my second point.

2) The resource use for casters/clerics is completely out of control. With two AC70+ tempest tanks and one intimitank the poor cleric had to chug a pot of mana every other room, it seems. The sorc wasn't that far behind I think I saw him drinking 4 pots before we hit a shrine. Add to that deathwarded, Freedom of Movement, True Seeing trash mobs and you got a recipe for a nasty fight on every room. And since they've added grazing hits and whatnot, even the AC70+ tempesty tanks needed a lot of healing on every encounter. When I ran with my sorc, I HAD TO help with the healing most of the way since the cleric had ran out of mana more times that I care to remember. This is not challenging. This is simply frustrating.

So, so far we have a double whammy, pi*s poor XP and quests that seem to have been designed so that both casters and clerics have to use mana pots until they're forced to buy them from the store. That's just not cool, devs. Not cool at all.

My suggestion, for what's worth, is to normalize XP to what a level 19 quest SHOULD earn and either add couple of shrines here and there or make the encounters a little less rough. And that's not even counting the new raid, which, I hear is like a freaking mana vaccum.

Godspeed.

Havent done the raid yet, but the quests havent been as difficult for most the groups Im in as a lot of people here make them out to be, Sure maybe a mana pot or 10 depending on the group, but it is new, and we arent running quests we have great formulas for yet. Not all that much different than other mods imo.

Lithic
09-04-2009, 01:04 AM
The devs have made the quests worth what effort we will need to put into them in about 30days, when everyone is level appropriate (19-20), and equipped with upgrades. By then, using a pot on norm or hard will be unheard of.

There is also a bug in the scaling right now that full groups on norm get scaled up to some degree. Hard may be easier heh.

Tannniss
09-04-2009, 01:12 AM
I have only tried two of the new quests so far and both had a shrine at the entrance...rather than chugging a pot, I'd say make sure at least one party member has D-door.....

Melkor_The_Mighty
09-04-2009, 01:28 AM
I am glad they assigend such low XP for the new quests, essentially it means I wont have to see the cry babies at work when their capped again clamouring for more levels/content etc. The less the xp awarded the longer it takes to hit cap, great move in my opinion.

As far as drinking pots during a difficult quest am totally unsymphathetic. Its new and its lvl 19 normal so why would you expect a spring walk though Central park?! The more difficult the better. The clerics and casters deserve to drink potions, that responsibility comes with the blue bar folks. Maybe, just maybe the melees who loot major pots now will kindly pass them over to the clerics who are healing them and the casters who are CC'ing buffing them. 99.99% of major mana potions i have seen looted by players with NO Blue bar were not passed over to those who could use them, despite being in an extremely difficult quest or obviously over their head.
Used 61 majors in pug shroud part 4 to finish off Boss when other 11 died, when they looted chest in part 5, 3 melees looted major potions, think any of them offered them to me?! IF you said yes then your not thinking.

To the Devs if your reading this THANKS for making a quest or two extremely difficult and THANKS for ending the days of Monty Hall XP. No quest should be worth more than 10k XP even on elite.

PS- Devs, there is one issue of a quest with silver flame and the Succubi-doubles, that quest is pathetically easy, IF you really want to do something worthwhile make it a lot more challenging, went in there on a caster didnt use shrine and still had 80% of my SP at end.

stz
09-04-2009, 02:22 AM
...With two AC70+ tempest tanks and one intimitank the poor cleric had to chug a pot of mana every other room, it seems. The sorc wasn't that far behind I think I saw him drinking 4 pots before we hit a shrine...

which quest are u referring to ? I haven't tried the raid but the rest of the battlefield quests, if the cleric finds the need to drink any pots at all, there has to be something you guys could have done differently. Even on elite ( other than new invasion last part which can easily go wrong in pugs :p).

and I like the relatively low XP gained from these quests, just because someone got lv20 in the first hour doesn't mean that you need to do the same. If you are in a desparate need of XP, theres more than enough quests/slayers for em.

soupertc
09-04-2009, 02:48 AM
With the exception of Bastion of Power all the quest are fairly easy. I'm running up my cleric in all the new content and none of my other toons so far and haven;t had any issues. I have used alot more scrolls than I normally do....but like someone said before.....this stuff is new. Overall I would say if the cleric is burning through thier mana super fast and having to chug pots they are either overhealing or people are not fighting as a team...some crowd control(Web,Sleet Storm and some fogs) and everyone fight as a group as cleric mass heals and it's easy cheesy. So far having a blast with the MOD.....the XP kinda sucks though.....oh well....I haven't had to run Shroud,Hound or VoD since Tues.....so it's well worth it.

7-day_Trial_Monkey
09-04-2009, 06:41 AM

Godspeed.

1) 20k xp for a quest that takes 5-10 minutes? That would be ridiculous. Wrath of Flame and Weapons shipment are low xp quests and they are trivialy easy, and fast to run through.

2) What quest? And have you forgotten that you are running a quest above your level, without being geared up with the new higher level loot?

Pyromaniac
09-04-2009, 06:48 AM
The quests are definitely harder, and there is no way my cleric is pugging them. That being said, in guild groups I did the 4 flagging quests, plus repeated one (all on normal) and used 1 mana pot and maybe 5 healing scrolls on my 15/2 cleric/monk.

Guild groups that are geared out - no problem. Random, maybe underequipped players = problem.

bellack
09-04-2009, 06:55 AM

Godspeed.

I agree that the XP should be more in line with the challange but I do not agree with watering down the challange of the encounter. By 18th/19th level you should have enough gold to buy pots in game without having to resort to going to the DDO store (which I think we should NOT be able to access from a dungeon.) Most of the game is already too easy as it is we don't need more quest being too easy. I am sorry but a dungeon should not be a cake walk and if you die a few times trying to get through it so much the better.

bellack
09-04-2009, 07:09 AM
I am glad they assigend such low XP for the new quests, essentially it means I wont have to see the cry babies at work when their capped again clamouring for more levels/content etc. The less the xp awarded the longer it takes to hit cap, great move in my opinion.

As far as drinking pots during a difficult quest am totally unsymphathetic. Its new and its lvl 19 normal so why would you expect a spring walk though Central park?! The more difficult the better. The clerics and casters deserve to drink potions, that responsibility comes with the blue bar folks. Maybe, just maybe the melees who loot major pots now will kindly pass them over to the clerics who are healing them and the casters who are CC'ing buffing them. 99.99% of major mana potions i have seen looted by players with NO Blue bar were not passed over to those who could use them, despite being in an extremely difficult quest or obviously over their head.
Used 61 majors in pug shroud part 4 to finish off Boss when other 11 died, when they looted chest in part 5, 3 melees looted major potions, think any of them offered them to me?! IF you said yes then your not thinking.

To the Devs if your reading this THANKS for making a quest or two extremely difficult and THANKS for ending the days of Monty Hall XP. No quest should be worth more than 10k XP even on elite.

PS- Devs, there is one issue of a quest with silver flame and the Succubi-doubles, that quest is pathetically easy, IF you really want to do something worthwhile make it a lot more challenging, went in there on a caster didnt use shrine and still had 80% of my SP at end.

I agree with you in spirit but the only problem with low XP in this game is that there is not enough content to make up for it with out running the same dungeons over and over ad nausium. Personally I hate running the same dungeon more than 3 times with the same character. Now if the dungeons had a random element to them then that would make replayablity more fun.
I play the game not to race to the top (I know that is rare these days) I play for the adventure and challange muche like PnP D&D.

bellack
09-04-2009, 07:12 AM
The quests are definitely harder, and there is no way my cleric is pugging them. That being said, in guild groups I did the 4 flagging quests, plus repeated one (all on normal) and used 1 mana pot and maybe 5 healing scrolls on my 15/2 cleric/monk.

Guild groups that are geared out - no problem. Random, maybe underequipped players = problem.

Being under equipt in these dungeons does sound like it would be a lot more fun due to them being more challanging. I'll have to remember this when I get up to that level.

sephiroth1084
09-04-2009, 07:24 AM
With the exception of Bastion of Power all the quest are fairly easy. I'm running up my cleric in all the new content and none of my other toons so far and haven;t had any issues. I have used alot more scrolls than I normally do....but like someone said before.....this stuff is new. Overall I would say if the cleric is burning through thier mana super fast and having to chug pots they are either overhealing or people are not fighting as a team...some crowd control(Web,Sleet Storm and some fogs) and everyone fight as a group as cleric mass heals and it's easy cheesy. So far having a blast with the MOD.....the XP kinda sucks though.....oh well....I haven't had to run Shroud,Hound or VoD since Tues.....so it's well worth it.

Hehe. I thought Bastion was probably the easiest overall. Genesis Might be easier depending on the ending, but Sins and Invasion are much harder than either of those two.

As for chugging mana pots...I don't mind so much, since they'll be easier to come by (TP), and we're exploring new territory, which always comes with higher-than-normal expenses.

I will say, however, that a big portion of our expense ("our" being casters and clerics) stems largely from monsters being immune to almost everything we can do. Honestly, this is getting stupid. Monsters immune to fogs, webs (in some cases), hold, instant death (by virtue of insanely high saves), dance... What are we supposed to do? I threw 3 Wails while surrounded by 10+ monsters, and had not ONE die! That says to me that these guys aren't failing on anything but a 1.

Maybe the saves are scaled for our DCs at level 20. But for the time being, I am really unhappy with how difficult it is to do anything to monsters.

TheJusticar
09-04-2009, 08:33 AM
With the exception of Bastion of Power

This is the quest I'm referring to.

TheJusticar
09-04-2009, 08:37 AM
I will say, however, that a big portion of our expense ("our" being casters and clerics) stems largely from monsters being immune to almost everything we can do. Honestly, this is getting stupid. Monsters immune to fogs, webs (in some cases), hold, instant death (by virtue of insanely high saves), dance... What are we supposed to do? I threw 3 Wails while surrounded by 10+ monsters, and had not ONE die! That says to me that these guys aren't failing on anything but a 1.

Not even. Instakills are worthless. Most of the mobs are deathwarded. Holds and Web useless since many of them have FoM ... so not even a save roll. And yes, it is very worrisome that casters are being relagated to haste/repair bots/emergency healer almost exclusively.

Godspeed.

Xiloscient
09-04-2009, 08:37 AM
They want us to spend cash on the mana pots in the store it seems...

TheJusticar
09-04-2009, 08:45 AM
I agree that the XP should be more in line with the challange but I do not agree with watering down the challange of the encounter. By 18th/19th level you should have enough gold to buy pots in game without having to resort to going to the DDO store (which I think we should NOT be able to access from a dungeon.) Most of the game is already too easy as it is we don't need more quest being too easy. I am sorry but a dungeon should not be a cake walk and if you die a few times trying to get through it so much the better.

See, the main problem is, a level 19 cleric (pimped out) can have, perhaps, 1.8 - 1.9K SPs right now most well equipped lvl 17 clerics have about 1.6-1.7K SPs. 200 extra SPs is NOT gonna make a difference in mana consumption.

My argument has nothing to do with difficulty, some of you are making it such. My argument is not for advocating nerfing those quests. My main points are reward vs. effort and time and the unusual high dependence on mana pots.

Godspeed.

TheJusticar
09-04-2009, 08:46 AM
They want us to spend cash on the mana pots in the store it seems...

Bingo!

TheJusticar
09-04-2009, 09:23 AM

I wonder why you're happy about this. The lousy XP hurts everyone. The casual gamer that can only run 2-3 quests a night will get ... maybe 15K XP (p!ss in a bucket at level 18+). The powergamers will get the very same XP and will start complaining about the lack of content and how much grinding they need to do to reach cap. How is this a good thing?

This is not about difficulty or walks in the park. That would be even more absurd. It's about about reward vs time-effort (I'm thinking of bastion of Power specifically). I however, agree that mana pot loot politics are not the best, but to each his own loot. I, personally, make a point of always giving either 50 heal scrolls or a major mana pot to the healer on _every_ end-game quest run. Once they roll a cleric and play it frequently, then they'll understand the dire need for mana pots/ healing supplies.

Read above my first reply. Completely unfounded and misguided opinion.

soupertc
09-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Hehe. I thought Bastion was probably the easiest overall. Genesis Might be easier depending on the ending, but Sins and Invasion are much harder than either of those two.

it's always funny how diffrent everyone thinks of the game. We are doin Sins runs like we did PoP back in the day. Did it on Hard wasn't much tougher. I ended up usin alot more stuff In Bastion....could be cause it was just my first run though....hmmm.

Ranmaru2
09-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Ummmm you know fellas, Crowd Control is your friend!

Wizards/Sorcs - Sleet Storm (The best to use) and Solid Fog/Acid Fog are gods. Keep your tanks displaced.

Bards - Fascinate baby.

Clerics - Keep them FoMs on everyone.

There you go, you've decreased the damage people take by at least an exponent of 3.

edit: oh...and yes the XP is excrement, but remember, they put in those new stupid bonuses as a way to "make up" for it....whatever

Cairo
09-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Ummmm you know fellas, Crowd Control is your friend!

Wizards/Sorcs - Sleet Storm (The best to use) and Solid Fog/Acid Fog are gods. Keep your tanks displaced.

Bards - Fascinate baby.

Clerics - Keep them FoMs on everyone.

There you go, you've decreased the damage people take by at least an exponent of 3.

edit: oh...and yes the XP is excrement, but remember, they put in those new stupid bonuses as a way to "make up" for it....whatever

Sleet Storm and fogs do nothing if mobs have FoM.

Displacement does nothing if mobs have True Seeing.

I also think you mean "factor of 3" and not "exponent of 3", and in any case, that's not accurate either.

You're assuming that people are walking in to these quests unbuffed and not tossing CC down. Your assumptions make an ass out of you, obviously. Orthons and Devils wade through fogs and webs like I was level 4, Wails do nothing (high saves), and if I toss out a Chain Missile or a MM on a mob, it hops right over to me and pops me for a quick death.

Now, vorpals do work on the content I've personally seen so far, but it seems like my role as a wizard is SS wands, extended Haste, Mass Protects, and Energy Drain. Real super fun... especially since when I played 3.5 in a pen & paper group, my 14th or 15th level wizard was a flying storm of death and destruction. In DDO, at 17, I'm a buffbot.

Ranmaru2
09-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Sleet Storm still auto-blinds them (not everyone has radiance II weapons), and the fogs still provide concealment (solid fog even makes them deal 2 less damage and gives a -2 to hit), ALL WITH NO SAVE NEEDED. The mobs don't have Freedom of Movement/True Seeing much from what I've seen (if you go for the clerics/spell throwers first you don't have to worry about them having the aforementioned buffs).

Trust me, I've got a guild that can back me up on how effective Sleet Storm and Solid Fog are in the new quests, as well as keeping your people displaced.

Also, man it must be real easy to be considered an ass nowadays if my post was considered ass material.

sephiroth1084
09-04-2009, 03:15 PM
it's always funny how diffrent everyone thinks of the game. We are doin Sins runs like we did PoP back in the day. Did it on Hard wasn't much tougher. I ended up usin alot more stuff In Bastion....could be cause it was just my first run though....hmmm.

I'm curious at this: the fights in Sins were bigger (around 8 devils/orthons at a time), whereas most of the fights in Bastion are smaller if you divide and conquer, with 1 or 2 people handling or kiting the spawns and the rest beating the portals down.

Thelmallen
09-04-2009, 03:22 PM
I think we all need to remember that these quests were made with end-game in mind, no lvl 17 in mind. They are going to be hard for these lower levels, especially for the casters, but by lvl 20 with more SP, an increased DC save, perhaps re-allocating feats and enhancements to improve spell penetration, primary save DC (focus feats), things will be much different for our casters.

As for now, it sure is fun to DPS down those mobs. Been a long time since I needed to pull out any weapon other than w/p.

captain1z
09-04-2009, 03:24 PM
These new quests are meant to last through level 20 and most of us just hit 17. If at level 17 we did not find it extremely difficult I would be very worried............ because if we didnt find it hard at 17 we are gonna be extremely bored at 20 with zero challenges left and an unknown amount of time left between the next mod.

Run vale quests if you want easy, you should be able to solo almost all of em now.

Quikster
09-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Sleet Storm and fogs do nothing if mobs have FoM.

Displacement does nothing if mobs have True Seeing.

I also think you mean "factor of 3" and not "exponent of 3", and in any case, that's not accurate either.

You're assuming that people are walking in to these quests unbuffed and not tossing CC down. Your assumptions make an ass out of you, obviously. Orthons and Devils wade through fogs and webs like I was level 4, Wails do nothing (high saves), and if I toss out a Chain Missile or a MM on a mob, it hops right over to me and pops me for a quick death.

Now, vorpals do work on the content I've personally seen so far, but it seems like my role as a wizard is SS wands, extended Haste, Mass Protects, and Energy Drain. Real super fun... especially since when I played 3.5 in a pen & paper group, my 14th or 15th level wizard was a flying storm of death and destruction. In DDO, at 17, I'm a buffbot.

if you toss a sleetstorm on a mass of mobs, it is much more effective, and faster than throwing displacement on everyone every few minutes. Doesnt matter if they have ts and fom they will still be blinded, thats 50% miss chance. Also if you have any rogs in group with crippling strike they will have mobs in auto crit in no time. To say sleet storm does nothing and calling the person who suggested it an ass, might be part of the reason youre ( or others if not yourself) are having problems in the new areas.

Thrudh
09-04-2009, 03:38 PM
Not even. Instakills are worthless. Most of the mobs are deathwarded. Holds and Web useless since many of them have FoM ... so not even a save roll. And yes, it is very worrisome that casters are being relagated to haste/repair bots/emergency healer almost exclusively.

Have you tried dispelling the mobs?

Ranmaru2
09-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Have you tried dispelling the mobs?

I thought greater dispel existed only as a party buff! :D

Thrudh
09-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Displacement definitely works in Sins... My little crappy ranger/wizard never died in there BECAUSE of displacement...

(I like seeing the big Displaced! notice when they miss you)

Thrudh
09-04-2009, 03:49 PM
if you toss a sleetstorm on a mass of mobs, it is much more effective, and faster than throwing displacement on everyone every few minutes. Doesnt matter if they have ts and fom they will still be blinded, thats 50% miss chance. Also if you have any rogs in group with crippling strike they will have mobs in auto crit in no time. To say sleet storm does nothing and calling the person who suggested it an ass, might be part of the reason youre ( or others if not yourself) are having problems in the new areas.

Quoted for Truth

Thrudh
09-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Everyone remember how people complained that Enter the Kobold was way too hard back when it first came out?

Ranmaru2
09-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Everyone remember how people complained that Enter the Kobold was way too hard back when it first came out?

I remember when people were saying that about the Reaver :D

LeCutter
09-04-2009, 04:35 PM
A lot of what's going on seems geared toward urging people to use the store, grrr. In Sins of Attrition last night we wiped a total of 10 times - and this was with a solid, well geared PUG of people who knew what they were doing. That's an f'ing brutal quest. Not to mention having a 10 minute run to get back to the end fight is just poor dungeon design. Groups of 4-8 devils just poofing in as we *creep* ahead trying not to aggro too much was just ridiculous. Glancing blows = blown heals, I'm bouncing around all over or shield-blocking like mad trying to get spells off - yeah, yeah, I know quicken exists for a reason, but then it's all sitting around waiting for shrines to reset because your SP is gone in the blink of an eye - not how it should be at all.

Ranmaru2
09-04-2009, 04:42 PM
recommend your casters set sleet storm and put up a fog per encounter (dont need it extended unless its one of the guantlet intersections). You'll have a much easier time healing :)

Lonewolfe
09-04-2009, 05:11 PM
You said
"I wonder why you're happy about this. The lousy XP hurts everyone. The casual gamer that can only run 2-3 quests a night will get ... maybe 15K XP (p!ss in a bucket at level 18+). The powergamers will get the very same XP and will start complaining about the lack of content and how much grinding they need to do to reach cap. How is this a good thing?"

and

"Read above my first reply. Completely unfounded and misguided opinion."

You think powergamers will stop complaining about lack of contect just because they can cap all 10 of their toons in a week instead of, say, a month or two? now who has a misguided opinion?

Mindspat
09-04-2009, 05:16 PM

The odd thing is, I think Bastion of Power is the easiest!! :eek:

I wonder how if this is related to the Dificulty Balancing that's taking place with full parties?

Ranmaru2
09-04-2009, 05:47 PM
If you can get a rogue assassin and a wizard with enlarge+enervate/energy drain to work together, then bastion of power is a piece of cake, since the portals don't spawn if the Tieflings never ring the bells.