PDA

View Full Version : The Pre-Launch Name Reservation Thread

GlassCannon
08-31-2009, 05:56 AM
Due to griefing being fully supported by the moderating staff, this thread is closed in the attempt to minimize fallout.

sirgog
08-31-2009, 06:03 AM
I might try to get Recalcitrant. Not sure yet, however.

BlackRage
08-31-2009, 06:12 AM
Please be respectful as to avoid using them in your character names, so I don't have to get a GM to rename you.

Good luck with that :rolleyes:

GlassCannon
08-31-2009, 06:27 AM
Due to griefing being fully supported by the moderating staff, this thread is closed in the attempt to minimize fallout.

Hirosue
08-31-2009, 10:43 AM
i reserve noob and all derivatives

Delt
08-31-2009, 11:35 AM
50 plat says all of Glasscannons names are taken.

I would, but I'm not sure if I'll be around when the servers are back up.

Uska
08-31-2009, 12:11 PM
Posting a list like this is just asking for some jerk to try and snag them, but good luck getting the names you wish for.

Hafeal
08-31-2009, 12:14 PM
Posting a list like this is just asking for some jerk to try and snag them, but good luck getting the names you wish for.

LOL. I don't know what's funnier, the OP or your response. :D

Uska
08-31-2009, 12:29 PM
LOL. I don't know what's funnier, the OP or your response. :D

Why? You know its true people will try to steal those names just to be a jerk so what so funny about wishing someone luck in getting the names they wish for?

Hafeal
08-31-2009, 02:30 PM
Why? You know its true people will try to steal those names just to be a jerk so what so funny about wishing someone luck in getting the names they wish for?

I took his post as "tongue in cheek." :)

Impaqt
08-31-2009, 02:44 PM

GC doesnt normaly do "Tongue and Cheek"

Uska
08-31-2009, 02:50 PM

I took GC at his/her word since most post are usually serious

arminius
08-31-2009, 03:07 PM
I call Frodo, Gandalf, Richard Rahl, Lancelot, Mordenkainen, Vecna, Morgoth, Drizzt Do'Urden, Beren, Luthien, Kahlan, Tassadar, Severus Snape, Shea Ohmsford, Thomas Covenent, Elric of Melniboné, Siegfried, Inigo Montoya, Rand al'Thor, and Bruce.

kthxbai.

unionyes
08-31-2009, 03:09 PM
Handfull of points.

1. Anything like this that was started by someone other than a dev is unenforceable.

2. This feels a lot like an open invitation for someone who thinks it is funny to grab the names posted here before the poster can get them. Don't worry, if they are just playing with you they may be willing to sell the name to you for a +3 tome or two.

3. It would be patently unfair to suddenly implement a reservation system without warning for something that has historically been done on a first come first serve basis. To do so without allowing or notifying ALL players about it before hand is even worse.

4. I get a real chuckle out of the fact that the OP laid out a list of names for himself at the same time as inviting others to reserve names......any names they want, except the ones he has picked.

5. If this thread gets scooped up by the devs and used as an official reservation listing, I will eat my Minos Helm, nerfed though it may be.

6. 'Calling' names in these forums then threatening to have a GM 'rename' anyone if they 'take' one of 'your' names is ludicrous. To the OP: If your names that you 'called' were in any way shape or form interesting to me, I would personally make it a point to grab all of them before you. Laying out a specious claim to something as if you were entitled to it, then threatening to resort to the authorities if you don't get your own way rubs me (and I am sure others) the wrong way.

Centin
08-31-2009, 05:54 PM
I call dibs on my character being the only one with a moustache.

And red hair.

And hands.

FoggyKnight
08-31-2009, 06:52 PM
Handfull of points.

5. If this thread gets scooped up by the devs and used as an official reservation listing, I will eat my Minos Helm, nerfed though it may be.

Lol...who says that Devs (they might be playing too!) aren't looking at this thread and going "hmmm, I like that name. Yoink!"

I'm still working on my names now...

Bunker
08-31-2009, 06:55 PM
I call these names:

Xeraphim

Punchy

Ipunchbabies

Levina

Wereallgonna DIE

GC: With a choice like Ipunchbabies, you might actually be the first to have the name RenamedIPB on Cannith. :)

Lorien_the_First_One
08-31-2009, 11:15 PM
50 plat says all of Glasscannons names are taken.

I would, but I'm not sure if I'll be around when the servers are back up.

I would if I wasn't going to be at work...darn firewalls

Lorien_the_First_One
08-31-2009, 11:17 PM
6. 'Calling' names in these forums then threatening to have a GM 'rename' anyone if they 'take' one of 'your' names is ludicrous. To the OP: If your names that you 'called' were in any way shape or form interesting to me, I would personally make it a point to grab all of them before you. Laying out a specious claim to something as if you were entitled to it, then threatening to resort to the authorities if you don't get your own way rubs me (and I am sure others) the wrong way.

It's and excellent chance to build 10 mules, just in case.

Uska
08-31-2009, 11:30 PM
Handfull of points.

1. Anything like this that was started by someone other than a dev is unenforceable.

2. This feels a lot like an open invitation for someone who thinks it is funny to grab the names posted here before the poster can get them. Don't worry, if they are just playing with you they may be willing to sell the name to you for a +3 tome or two.

3. It would be patently unfair to suddenly implement a reservation system without warning for something that has historically been done on a first come first serve basis. To do so without allowing or notifying ALL players about it before hand is even worse.

4. I get a real chuckle out of the fact that the OP laid out a list of names for himself at the same time as inviting others to reserve names......any names they want, except the ones he has picked.

HMM I didnt take the op that way I took them as listing names and asking people not to take them although they did suggest the dev's help with this I also noted they said if anyone has a name conflict that they should try to work in out privately.

One would hope the community would be mature enough to respect someone's wish for a particular name but we know this isnt true.

Uska
08-31-2009, 11:31 PM
GC: With a choice like Ipunchbabies, you might actually be the first to have the name RenamedIPB on Cannith. :)

Yeah you could be right

kkobold
09-01-2009, 12:45 AM
dibs on yourmomma

ViolentEnd
09-01-2009, 12:59 AM
PWND is mine

Cowdenicus
09-01-2009, 02:16 AM

doh... you are ruining my plans.

Uska
09-01-2009, 03:26 AM
doh... you are ruining my plans.

OOOPs sorry bout that:D

blueshift
09-01-2009, 03:33 AM
lol, this thread makes me want to slap someone..

justjeff
09-01-2009, 05:20 AM
I have my list of names sealed in an ink booby trapped time capsule buried in my backyard.

jboyd158
09-01-2009, 05:57 AM
If you guys would leave these I'd be glad.

Doriado
Moosk
Getts
Peanut

Thorzian
09-01-2009, 06:08 AM
i dont care if you beat me to a name on this thread or not.. you have to beat me to the game to get it.

GlassCannon
09-01-2009, 08:38 AM
Name reservation violations supported by the Dev Team.

arminius
09-01-2009, 08:41 AM
And now -- the punishment!

Which was, um, what again?

_

GlassCannon
09-01-2009, 08:43 AM

arminius
09-01-2009, 08:47 AM
It really is a shame, because I'm sure if you hadn't done this thread, those names would be available. As it was, it was just a dare to some formum wag who would think it was funny to take them. Your only consolation is that the effort it took whoever it was to take your names meant that they lost slots for their names.

I wouldn't be surprised if you got a message in a few hours that said, "jk, lol" or something to that effect, saying that the blocking characters are deleted.

_

Delt
09-01-2009, 08:48 AM
If the devs don't do somethign about the names, the players will not see me on Cannith, as those are the names I am known by.

I intend to follow this through with extremely violent zeal. Yes, I fully understand what that means.

Lol, perhaps next time you'll try to reserve less common names...though maybe you have a case for Ipunchbabies :)

PS - for 500 Turbine points each, you can have one name. Welcome to the new economy :cool:

iceman112163
09-01-2009, 08:58 AM
I'm shaking my head at the OP on this one. It sounds like you log onto one server or another on a whim. Assuming this is true, I know I would be very inclined to be an ass and take one of your names you want 'reserved'. Why? Well because, quite simply, if you are a casual player and want your footprint established just because you feel the name is a twist on intellectual property rights, you are being just as much of an ass as I am.

iceman112163
09-01-2009, 09:06 AM
Well, so much for that, I hope you got your wish, can't say I did not try.

Hehe, I got my wish though, without posting my desires for a name btw, for Kiba and Kibakun. HA!

BlackRage
09-01-2009, 09:14 AM
I hope you have good insurance, you might just get banned.

fail :cool:

Phidius
09-01-2009, 09:17 AM
I have my list of names sealed in an ink booby trapped time capsule buried in my backyard.

What's an ink booby?

grausherra
09-01-2009, 03:25 PM
Name reservation violation: Xeraphim.

Name reservation violation: Levina.

Name reservation violation: Ipunchbabies

Name reservation violation: Punchy.

This is amusing, could you possibly have expected any other outcome?

Stop acting like a petulant child.

Mekkah
09-01-2009, 03:58 PM
I'm shaking my head at the OP on this one. It sounds like you log onto one server or another on a whim. Assuming this is true, I know I would be very inclined to be an ass and take one of your names you want 'reserved'. Why? Well because, quite simply, if you are a casual player and want your footprint established just because you feel the name is a twist on intellectual property rights, you are being just as much of an ass as I am.

You're not an ass....you're an ass HAT.

And you've watched too much Top Gun, "iceman."

That handle is SOOOOOOOOO 80's....

Impaqt
09-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Name reservation violation: Xeraphim.

Name reservation violation: Levina.

Name reservation violation: Ipunchbabies

Name reservation violation: Punchy.

Doubt it. (No, It wasnt me)

If the devs don't do somethign about the names, the players will not see me on Cannith, as those are the names I am known by.

I intend to follow this through with extremely violent zeal. Yes, I fully understand what that means.

I'm glad someone understands what that means.

Montrose
09-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Here's a little tip about human nature: Threatening people only works if you are actually in a position of power (or have the perception of being in a position of power).

Imagine this scenario: A teenage boy is walking home and walks past a tiny dog.

Scenario 1) The dog just watches him go by. Life continues
Scenario 2) The dog starts barking and "threatening" the boy
Scenario 2a) The boy laughs and keeps walking
Scenario 2b) The boy starts poking the dog with a stick because it's funny to watch the dog freak out

Welcome to scenario 2b.

Hint: You are not the boy.

iceman112163
09-01-2009, 10:26 PM
You're not an ass....you're an ass HAT.

And you've watched too much Top Gun, "iceman."

That handle is SOOOOOOOOO 80's....

Oh please, Top Gun was nothing more than the first real smash movie for recruiting for the Air Force and nothing less. As for the handle, and I'll forgive you for your ignorance but I took over this account when it was started as a LotRO founder's account. The gentleman became afflicted with some resembling cerebral palsey and his toon for LotRO was an alpha toon. I was asked to take ownership of it for sentimental value. Hell, I wasn't even alive in 1963, that would be another 8 years later.

As for watching Top Gun, I'm not a wannabe scientologist and have never cared for Tom Cruise 'flying a plane', drive for NASCAR, bouncing up and down on Oprah's couch or working with Patrick Swayze, Matt Dillon, Emilio Estevez and the rest of the crew from the Outsiders.

To paraphrase Star Wars, who is the greater ass, the ass or the one to respond?

GlassCannon
09-06-2009, 01:52 PM
This is amusing, could you possibly have expected any other outcome?

Yes. This thread was more or less a test of honor in this community.

YOU ALL FAIL!!!

/serious off

Maybe next time I should start a thread about what kind of job people would want...?

As for future threads, I have been shown that even the Dev Team is not immune to corruption. Therefore, I'll do all I can to avoid the forums until it's time to post something technical, or test you folks again.