PDA

View Full Version : Bets kept Feature ?!?!?!?

Damo
07-27-2009, 12:22 AM
Few months back, close to a year, we grouped with that guy talking all nonsence ... his buddy got banned doing some wierd stuff and then he talked about GM island, wich was used by the devs or beta testers or something in development . Wasn't too clear about it all . But what he was clear about was that he could cap a toon in 13 hours .
He wouldn't explain how to get there or where it was, and of course non of us beleived him, so we just ended up making joke about it ... for several months as the shower sac and his GM island, it was the most absurd thing we've heard in a long time .

I can't remember anything about him other then the joke subject that still came out from time to time, when Trel and few others were still around ...

So in the light of the recent event, it makes me wonder if he was right . If its somewhere used as some type of portals or a development tool ?? And if he was right who or why someone would've learned about it ? Original beta tester leaked it ?

Oh well i wish i could asked that mister X few questions ...

Lorien_the_First_One
07-27-2009, 12:30 AM
If I was going to develop a testing tool to let me more quickly level a char it wouldn't take 13 hours, it would be a 2 minute per level exercise (add xp, level up as normal, rince and repeat). I'd then have a store with toys I wanted availble, so add 5 minutes for shopping.

The fact that he said it could be done in 13 hours makes it bogus.

Jonny_D
07-27-2009, 12:33 AM
If I was going to develop a testing tool to let me more quickly level a char it wouldn't take 13 hours, it would be a 2 minute per level exercise (add xp, level up as normal, rince and repeat). I'd then have a store with toys I wanted availble, so add 5 minutes for shopping.

do not speak about that which u do not know

sgt.pendragon
07-27-2009, 12:45 AM
oh no not this ban stuff again.... in before the post is locked :)

bandyman1
07-27-2009, 12:48 AM
Who said anything about a ban???

Might want to edit before you're infracted for posting with the purpose of starting a flame war.

You know that's against the CoC too, right?

sgt.pendragon
07-27-2009, 12:52 AM
maybe you didnt read the line about '' His buddy got blank for doing some wierd stuff '' :)

www.kiss-clan.com

Lorien_the_First_One
07-27-2009, 12:52 AM
do not speak about that which u do not know

Well unless you are claiming to know that the programmers are foolish and didn't put in a proper levelling system for testing...

We did by the way see at least part of the dev tool during a previous press junket where we saw things like their teleport to any NPC ability and their god mode ability.

Jonny_D
07-27-2009, 12:54 AM

u dont know what u r talking about

bandyman1
07-27-2009, 12:57 AM
maybe you didnt read the line about '' His buddy got blank for doing some wierd stuff '' :)

Yes, in reference to something that happened a long time ago, and was never discussed.

Hence your misuse of the phrase " Oh no not this ban stuff again ".

Like I implied; Kinda counterintuitive to call for a threads moderation, when you've violated the terms of the CoC in that thread yourself.

sgt.pendragon
07-27-2009, 12:59 AM
lol.... new mod out august 4

Erekose
07-27-2009, 07:23 AM
If u ever played Balder Gate 2 and got the codes for the console window u could create in your backpack anything coded that exists in the game.

As for capped toons I suspect the same applies however would be a little bit more time consuming.

My guess is that toons could be coded for God mode status to stress test all kinds of things in the game.

moomooprincess
07-27-2009, 11:48 AM
I am assuming that the program uses a SQL database of some sort.

There is a table defined as characters.

There is a field defined as level.

The code would be something like this

Update character_table set char_level = 16 where charid = 12345678

Bam. Your character is now 16th.

There are tables for action points, feats, spells, enhancements.

Update the other tables the same way always using the charid.

The change should take about FIVE seconds to happen. Tops. You run the little stored procedure or whatever and bam, the developers can set any level they want.

Thrudh
07-27-2009, 12:04 PM

Sure he does... He knows that a developer would be stupid to build a leveling system that takes 13 hours...

He also knows that any developer that used that system more than once would build a new one...

I'm sure the developers have a /addexp or /levelup command that instantly gets them to the next level for testing purposes...

Now, there might have been some exploit back then to max out levels in 13 hours, but it sure wasn't a system DESIGNED for leveling...

MDS_Geist
07-27-2009, 12:08 PM
I'm sure the developers do have such a system in place to test things out at high level and create characters with amazing attributes and items. I'm also sure they're neither foolish nor sloppy enough to allow such a system to be accessible to players with the retail client playing on their own computers.

Athermal
07-27-2009, 02:08 PM
He also knows that any developer that used that system more than once would build a new one...

Or maybe a portal was coded for a friend.

Lorien_the_First_One
07-27-2009, 02:14 PM

And you do how?

Lorien_the_First_One
07-27-2009, 02:18 PM
Sure he does... He knows that a developer would be stupid to build a leveling system that takes 13 hours...

I'm sure the developers have a /addexp or /levelup command that instantly gets them to the next level for testing purposes...

Now, there might have been some exploit back then to max out levels in 13 hours, but it sure wasn't a system DESIGNED for leveling...

Exactly my point.

For example, there was a bug that was mentioned in the Beta forums several times that in Lama1 allowed players to endless accept an end reward. If you were willing to click for an hour you could pick up your next two levels. A similar bug might have existed that allowed this type of levelling at some point in the past, but it wouldn't have been coded deliberately that way, as you say /addexp /levelup type cheats or a GM/Dev interface would be much more effective. If they could figure it out for Doom1 20 years ago they could probably figure out how to do it in DDO.

Or maybe a portal was coded for a friend.

What moron would code something like that into a game where if they were caught they could be fired? Helping my friend level faster isn't worth my job.

Hanneman
07-27-2009, 02:30 PM
As strange as a GM Island sounds it would not be the first time that Turbine has done something like this. There was an island in Asherons Call that was accessible only by invitation from the Dev's and then this island latter became part of the game. http://forums.ac.turbine.com/showthread.php?t=36983&highlight=secret+island

Spisey
07-27-2009, 02:34 PM
And you do how?

Um, notice the June 2006 J$ account turned to a new account dated July 2009.....

He knows more than he should have. :D :(

SimVerg
07-27-2009, 06:28 PM
13 hours to cap was using something other than an auto level dev tool.

Also, most mmos have special areas for the devs to test stuff on the live servers(see Everquest's cat room as an example).

Lorien_the_First_One
07-27-2009, 06:32 PM
As strange as a GM Island sounds it would not be the first time that Turbine has done something like this. There was an island in Asherons Call that was accessible only by invitation from the Dev's and then this island latter became part of the game. http://forums.ac.turbine.com/showthread.php?t=36983&highlight=secret+island

Oh I have no doubt there are hidden areas. Some of the people that have gotten "outside the walls" have found play areas where they test graphics for example. The best urban legands are ones with just a hint of truth, followed up by something really stupid.

Um, notice the June 2006 J$ account turned to a new account dated July 2009.....

He knows more than he should have. :D :(

Can't tell anything from that... the dozens banned for the lastest XP cheating bug don't necessarily know anything about what happened a year or two back... Unless of course they are long term cheaters who are good at finding exploits I suppose.

Damo
07-27-2009, 07:29 PM
The big X word again when it look like it is a Feature created for certain people . Who i don't know, but one thing i do, is that the guy knew about the thingy that got people banned ... Maybe that guy got banned as well, but the question remain ; Why is that place still there for people to use ? Look way too wierd to be just a random X word . And yes it look a little slow to be used for deving purpose, but then again maybe its really old and back then, with lower lv, it was used by player not devs with unlimited access to lv or god mode . Some kind of portals ...

If its in game then its a Feature not an X, especially if they did it and knew it was live ... Like all good P&P GM would tell you ; No matter how long you take to set your game they always find a way to screw your plans ...