PDA

View Full Version : Feature Article Feedback: The Art of Shavarath Series Part 3!

Tarrant
03-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Our developers and artists discuss the players’ impending trip to the Plane of Battle! Visit DDO.com (http://www.ddo.com) for a look behind the scenes at the conceptual art and story-telling of the Turbine team in this multi-part Dev Diary! This week’s feature: Tower of Despair!

Read more about the Art of Shavarath (http://www.ddo.com/article/1041) and post your comments here!

RioRussell
03-25-2009, 10:55 AM
Are you sure that area wasn't originally named Krull? :)

Hendrik
03-25-2009, 10:55 AM
WOW!

That concept art for the Tower thingy is amazing!

When can we expect to visit?

;)

thatguy
03-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Looks good, we got something at least.

thatguy
03-25-2009, 11:07 AM

WOW, yeah I thought the same thing.

Missing_Minds
03-25-2009, 11:07 AM
*peers at some of those crystals* is that +Sir Lawrence?

Then I want my flying horses. :)

Deuce
03-25-2009, 11:09 AM
Cool as this is (and it is vera, vera coo...), this doesn't count as our sneak peek for winning the 2nd round of the March Madness thingy does it?

ahpook
03-25-2009, 11:16 AM
Cool as this is (and it is vera, vera coo...), this doesn't count as our sneak peek for winning the 2nd round of the March Madness thingy does it?

No. It doesn't. This was from Tarrant and it was Tolero that promised us a posting. Oh Tolero! Come out come out.

Hellllboy
03-25-2009, 11:17 AM
I am really enjoying all the art samples from Mod. 9 you are showing us. Thank you Turbine! :D

Shandi
03-25-2009, 11:25 AM
very awesome :D

Mockduck
03-25-2009, 11:31 AM
Cool looking, fer sure! It's like a mix of Krull, Lord of the Rings and Tron! Maybe when we beat the raid we can start living there in player housing? :)

Abysom
03-25-2009, 11:34 AM
I love the artwork but I'm getting very frustrated with the flow of information to tell you the truth. Was really hoping for a bigger announcement with the GDC going on...

thatguy
03-25-2009, 11:37 AM
I love the artwork but I'm getting very frustrated with the flow of information to tell you the truth. Was really hoping for a bigger announcement with the GDC going on...

I hear ya man, I completely agree with you on that one. Art work is nice but give of some information!

DelScorcho
03-25-2009, 11:52 AM
The piece indicates the tower is supposed to reflect the evil and selfish nature of the devils. It just looks like the bird to me. :D

The_Phenx
03-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Honestly you guys should be posting this kind of stuff all allong... along with a mod tracker showing what phase the next module is in... that way we dont have to see a final "date".

Then you link these things tothe outside magazines... no they wont get it first... but a "concept art" piece in one of the MMO mags wouldnt be a bad thing to drum up interest

Tarrant
03-25-2009, 12:07 PM
No. It doesn't. This was from Tarrant and it was Tolero that promised us a posting. Oh Tolero! Come out come out.

What, Tarrant's sugar doesn't count as much as Tolero's? Sometimes I wonder why I bother. ;)

Precious Tolero will be giving you something later. But don't expect anything from me ever again!

valorik
03-25-2009, 12:08 PM
nice :)

SpanishBlueEyes
03-25-2009, 12:14 PM
Is it going to be purple? Because i think neon pink would be cutier or even a cool neon green would match the devils. :D But purple is cool just reminds me of GH Which is still AWSOME! Can i have that pic as a background?

Grosbeak07
03-25-2009, 12:27 PM
What, Tarrant's sugar doesn't count as much as Tolero's? Sometimes I wonder why I bother. ;)

Precious Tolero will be giving you something later. But don't expect anything from me ever again!

Poor Tarrant always get the lousy announcements

Tolero: "Hey all, Super Secret is....."

Tarrant: "Hey all, In Mod 9 we will be increasing the font size used in game by 1! Pretty Awesome huh? Hey guys.... guys? Where did everyone go?":D

maddmatt70
03-25-2009, 12:35 PM
Very pretty concept and design. I can't wait to run around there..:)

Ganak
03-25-2009, 12:49 PM
"The devils of Shavarath are not only dangerous because of military might – their evil and selfishness is evident even in the way they live. The Tower is powered by the area’s resources, which the devils funnel through the glowing steel aqueducts running up into the Tower of Despair. These resource sapping conduits span out across the entire devil territory."

Could sabotaging these resource sapping conduits be the plot for some of the new quests?

DarkerOne
03-25-2009, 01:22 PM

I still love you, Tarrant :) Would you like a marriage proposal ?

Belwaar
03-25-2009, 01:41 PM
Poor Tarrant always get the lousy announcements

Tolero: "Hey all, Super Secret is....."

Tarrant: "Hey all, In Mod 9 we will be increasing the font size used in game by 1! Pretty Awesome huh? Hey guys.... guys? Where did everyone go?":D

LMAO!! Kudos to you sir! That was HI.LAR.IOUS! :D:D:D

Deuce
03-25-2009, 01:42 PM

Sorry, sorry...but let her know we're pretty impatient...

WeaselKing
03-25-2009, 01:44 PM
Worthless. Concept art from what? A year ago? Eighteen months? When are we going to get real information?

ahpook
03-25-2009, 02:10 PM

No Sir. I just didn't want Tolero to slack off and ride your most awesome coattails. She needs to buck up and do her own work and attempt to match up with Tarrant's sugar.

Tendare
03-25-2009, 02:16 PM
Lovin everything I see

Shuddering with anticipation

elraido
03-25-2009, 02:26 PM
man...looking at that, I feel disspair.....what was that place called again? oh, that explains a lot. :D

jddonkeykong
03-25-2009, 02:40 PM
Is it going to be purple? Because i think neon pink would be cutier or even a cool neon green would match the devils. :D But purple is cool just reminds me of GH Which is still AWSOME! Can i have that pic as a background?

right click image "set as background" viola you now have the image as a background, just did it myself looks great.

Venar
03-25-2009, 03:16 PM
Look, a tower.
And an article saying it's a tower.

DasLurch
03-25-2009, 03:32 PM
It's cool. When is the Mod due? That really is about the only thing that will get me excited now. It was said originally to be targeted for Dec 08/Jan 09. It was then said to be planned for the anniversery (more along the lines that most of us here were expecting). Now we don't even get a post acknowledging that you have missed that by what is looking to be at least 6 weeks if not 2+ months. Is this becoming the summer update with some of the Mod 10 content added in? Is there more than 1 programmer working on this game and that's the reason for the delay?

I'm not trying to sound demanding, but I understand that it is comming off that way. I guess I'm hoping for some communication if it's possible. At least some acknowledgement that the people at Turbine are sad about the delay would be nice to hear at this point. I guess that I'm feeling a little taken for granted of late is all.

soupertc
03-25-2009, 04:26 PM

I'm kinda intrested in what he meant by next week we look PAST Mod 9 and we look at demons....maybe a typo. We like ya Tarrant....but 1st of all your a dude...and 2nd of all your a dude....no bromance here....but I'll give ya a slap on the back and send ya a beer....more info please.

SteeleTrueheart
03-25-2009, 07:59 PM
It would be even cooler if along with the concept art you actually gave a screenshot of what the area/feature looks like in game. That way we could see where you wanted to go and where you ended up. Actual in game imagery would be welcomed much more, even though we love the concept art (I do!)

Hendrik
03-25-2009, 08:09 PM
It would be even cooler if along with the concept art you actually gave a screenshot of what the area/feature looks like in game. That way we could see where you wanted to go and where you ended up. Actual in game imagery would be welcomed much more, even though we love the concept art (I do!)

Ya know, I would rather see concept art vs a screenshot. I want to have that first time "HOLY *%&^" moment when I see it for the first time in game...

:D

soupertc
03-26-2009, 09:55 AM
Cool looking, fer sure! It's like a mix of Krull, Lord of the Rings and Tron! Maybe when we beat the raid we can start living there in player housing? :)

you know I got to thinking last night......that the Shroud was based on old video games....and that tower does look like MCU from Tron....so maybe just maybe we'll get light cycles.....that would be sweet.

Optimistic_Guardian
03-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Wow, the Art work has been very nice.
I just hope the actual Mod will live up to the pictures.

Keep up the nice work!

Rockstar
03-27-2009, 11:28 PM
LOL, a whole plane dedicated to battle? seriously? and that makes sense, how?!?! and it's called Battle?!? how creative...

when did entire planes of existance become so cheese-filled?!?!

looks like my L16's will need to bring nachos for Mod 9...